Conviction Tastes Better! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-01-2004, 01:09 AM

I think I speak for just about every vegan when I say that conviction tastes better than any food. It feels better than apathetic social acceptance. It's more rewarding than just sending a check to some anonymous charity to allay guilt about not doing more to save the world. I'd say that my Veganism has saved not just the lives of the 83+ animals a year, but my own. I hold it with absolute religious conviction. I try not to get too preachy, but we all know how difficult that is when everyone else in the world is trying to change you.

My big argument against people who mock us and don't understand why we don't just give up and conform is the fact that perhaps if there is something so deeply felt within us that we are willing to sacrafice every day that maybe that should deserve some level of respect. I know that was a grossly unstructured run-on sentence, but please try to glean what little wisdom you can from it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-01-2004, 05:04 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm sure Portillo's tastes better than some types of conviction.
#3 Old 05-01-2004, 06:20 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somafied84 View Post

I think I speak for just about every vegan when I say that conviction tastes better than any food. It feels better than apathetic social acceptance. It's more rewarding than just sending a check to some anonymous charity to allay guilt about not doing more to save the world. I'd say that my Veganism has saved not just the lives of the 83+ animals a year, but my own. I hold it with absolute religious conviction. I try not to get too preachy, but we all know how difficult that is when everyone else in the world is trying to change you.

My big argument against people who mock us and don't understand why we don't just give up and conform is the fact that perhaps if there is something so deeply felt within us that we are willing to sacrafice every day that maybe that should deserve some level of respect. I know that was a grossly unstructured run-on sentence, but please try to glean what little wisdom you can from it.

I completely agree, well put.

#4 Old 05-01-2004, 06:28 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Star*Lass* View Post

I completely agree, well put.

I second that.
#5 Old 05-01-2004, 07:57 AM
Veggie Regular

I mostly agree, but I'm not sure what you're referring to by 'sacrifice'. Of course, for some veganism can seem like "hard work" or something, but for others, it's just enjoyment and they don't sacrifice anything (well, maybe if they need a lot of cosmetics and such, they need to spend sime time looking for alternatives, but not everyone needs a lot of cosmetics).

But yes, conviction tastes quite good

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#6 Old 05-01-2004, 08:55 AM

I agree!

Sevenseas, I do think there is a measure of self sacrifice involved... For me personally, I'm sacrificing: family acceptance... willingly taking the poke, willing to be seen as being "holier than thou" (even though that isn't the case), willingly missing out on a great dish that Aunt so-and-so brought from wherever, willing to have what I'm eating be scrutinized as to it's veg*ness...

I used to be able to eat the same things as my husband, but now I'm cooking two meals, so yep, that's a small sacrifice.

I used to be able to eat wherever I wanted, now my choices are slim, and I carry a CLIF bar in my purse, so in this case I'm sacrificing convenience and possibly hunger.

SA (standard American) food is much cheaper than healthy vegan food, so I'm sacrificing my wallet when I choose vegan food.

Constantly having to think, read labels, read up on additives, education...which would be unnecessary for the omni, sacrificing time and brain cells...

Cosmetics are the least of my problems!!! You buy them once and they last for months, food is the every day issue!

I could add a whole bunch more. There are tons of sacrifices, but none are made begrudgingly (except maybe faux cheese), I feel like so much better of a person and much healthier for what I'm doing. Conviction does feel good, but if there wasn't sacrifice, I'm not sure it would feel as good, it would be too easy.

Susie
#7 Old 05-01-2004, 05:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Constantly having to think, read labels, read up on additives, education...which would be unnecessary for the omni, sacrificing time and brain cells...

I think that this sort ot thing is necessary for anyone who wants a remotely healthy diet--reading labels and the like. It hardly takes a second...not much to sacrifice.
#8 Old 05-01-2004, 09:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyGoat View Post

I think that this sort ot thing is necessary for anyone who wants a remotely healthy diet--reading labels and the like. It hardly takes a second...not much to sacrifice.

Yeah, I was a label reader before I was vegan because I was always health-conscious.
#9 Old 05-01-2004, 09:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggplant View Post

Yeah, I was a label reader before I was vegan because I was always health-conscious.

i agree. i hvae been reading labels forevah!! and only vegan for a year!!
#10 Old 05-01-2004, 09:44 PM
Veggie Regular

This whole thread sends a chill down my spine and makes me scared of you. Not just scared. Scared of people who believe this strongly.

Jim
#11 Old 05-01-2004, 09:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimdavis View Post

This whole thread sends a chill down my spine and makes me scared of you. Not just scared. Scared of people who believe this strongly.

Jim

in what way?
#12 Old 05-01-2004, 10:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by smedley View Post

in what way?

In this way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimdavis View Post

I get the feeling sometimes that if strict AR was the majority's opinion, that there would be mobs beating up leather wearers and psychologically damaging sanctions against being a meat-eater. That in a strict AR world, the meat-eater/fur-wearer/hide-wearer/milk-drinker would be an unfortunately tortured minority.

Sounds good to me.

#13 Old 05-02-2004, 12:24 AM

I have to agree a bit with JD on this...a little scary, though I've read much worse on peta2.org. Heck, I've read worse on here.
#14 Old 05-02-2004, 01:03 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't see the connection between your quoted post and this thread Jim.
#15 Old 05-02-2004, 01:06 AM
Veggie Regular

I think I catch what you're saying Soma. Though I loved the taste of a nice pepperoni pizza back in the day, I much more like knowing now that I'm not contributing to the death of any pigs.
#16 Old 05-02-2004, 11:16 AM

Hey, JD-

I appreciate what you're saying. I completely agree with you. Too often it seems that some vegans will gladly beat and abuse human beings for the sake of the animals we are trying to save. It scares me, too... Doesn't it seem that our conviction to consciousness and compassion should extend to EVERYONE?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page