I jus did something bad - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-13-2014, 12:32 PM
Veggie Regular

I feel so horrible right now. I was sitting on the couch and my husband left a box of frosted mini wheats laying there so i started eating them and then i looked at one and thought i wonder if these have gelatin in them in the frosting and and i flipped the box around to ease my mind because who think that a freakin hay bail looking thing would have gelatin and there was that word.
How could i be so stupid?
Ive been crying for the last 20 minutes. Ive been a veg for 5 years i know this stuff. Ive read that they have gelatin in them befor and i also know better than to just start eating something with out reading it. I feel like such a failure and a terrible person.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-13-2014, 01:19 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Don't! You're still veg. It was a mistake, they happen.

And really, the amount of gelatin in a few frosted flakes has to be negligible.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#3 Old 03-13-2014, 01:24 PM

You are neither a failure nor a terrible person. You are human, and humans make mistakes, especially stupid ones. Don't beat yourself up over it. Learn from the mistake and move on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-13-2014, 01:33 PM
Veggie Regular

You're still a veg, as far as I'm concerned. You are also a human, and humans make mistakes. Don't beat yourself up over it. Take a deep breath, put the box down (or back in the cupboard), and move on.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#5 Old 03-13-2014, 06:31 PM
Don't Eat Animals.

What PURP said.  :wayne:

All animals should be respected & should have the ability to lead a natural & enjoyable life. This means not eating them, or abusing them in any way.
#6 Old 03-13-2014, 06:56 PM

Aww, I'm sorry! It was simply a mistake, not your fault. Don't beat yourself up.

They do look like hay bails, lol.
#7 Old 03-14-2014, 06:03 AM
Veggie Regular

5 years of not eating meat does more for animals than eating a few hale-bales. :)

"Treat others as you wish to be treated."

- The Golden Rule

"No snowflake in an avalanche feels responsible."

- Voltair

"Be the change you wish to see in the world."

- Mahatma Ghandi

"Even dust piled up will grow into a mountain."

- Japanese Proverb

#8 Old 03-14-2014, 08:43 AM

Don't feel bad! I was on vacation right after I became vegetarian, and the resort I was at has these chocolate dipped rice krispie treats that I have always loved and I got one for dessert. I didn't even think about the fact that they contain marshmallows, which contain gelatin. Everyone knows rice krispie treats have marshmallow- I just wasn't even thinking. I felt terrible for a while but then I realized I couldn't undo it and I just wouldn't eat any more of them, or that I would just make my own with veg*n marshmallows. We all have slip ups, especially with the fact that so many unsuspecting things have animal products in them. You are still definitely a vegetarian and still do so much better for animals than people who regularly eat meat products!

#9 Old 03-21-2014, 08:38 PM

We all make mistakes.  I just read this thread, and noticed that marshmellows are gelatin.  I did not know that and two days ago I almost ate one, but did not because I had brushed my teeth about half hour earlier and opted not to eat it bc I was avoiding sugar, but had I not brushed my teeth I would have eaten it.  Now I know to avoid marshmellows.  For me its been a learning process.  Not to long ago I found out almost all wine is not vegetarian.  I would never have guess that, luckily most  beer are, but I could have easily drank wine not knowing that most wines are non vegan.

#10 Old 03-22-2014, 12:31 PM
Veggie Regular

I think everyone has accidentally eaten some animal product like that at some point- I remember when I was younger in France eating some ritz-type-biscuit/crackers from a supermarket, I was starving and didn't realise at first that they were bacon flavoured- probably no meat in them, but (also in France....hmmmm...) I ate most of a slice of pizza before realising it had bits of bacon in it. Yuck!    

These things happen. It's unpleasant when it does, but it's really no big deal. 

#11 Old 03-22-2014, 12:56 PM
Plant/Fungi based.

Everyone accidently consumes animal product at some point, and if you haven't then you will eventually. Like driving a car. You will wind up having an accident be it minor or major.

#12 Old 03-23-2014, 04:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Don't worry too much, everyone makes mistakes sometimes! If it makes you feel better, the other day I was at a Japanese restaurant and I heard usually that miso soup contains no animal stock so I ate it, and I didn't find out until later it had bento in it. I felt so embarrassed but now I know to ask before eating any type of soup :(   

#13 Old 03-23-2014, 10:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh, well, expect a knock on the door from the Veg. Patrol any day now! They'll be there to take away your Vegetarian Badge.

But seriously, I get how distressing it can be. I can only imagine the amount of work you would have put into being vegetarian over the last 5 years and sometimes, when we mistakes, it feels like all that good work has been wiped out by one mistake. But it hasn't. All those animals you didn't eat, all the impacts you've made by going vegetarian, that still counts.

It's not even as though you read the ingredients THEN ate the food.

You did it without really knowing, even if you'd suspected or it was something you knew about once.

Please, don't be this hard on yourself. Being cruelty free also means being kind to yourself and realising that as we don't live in a vegetarian world, we're sometimes going to slip up.

Jasminedesi16 likes this.
#14 Old 03-24-2014, 01:47 AM

I'm a 24 year vegetarian and we all make mistakes occasionally. No worries,,,your heart and mind is in the right place. Just learn from it and move forward.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page