Do you think it is convenient to get a dish of vegetarian/vegan in your places? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-17-2014, 04:54 AM

For a vegetarian/vegan, a convenience getting a dish outside may not be a easy thing.

Do you think it is convenient to get a dish of vegetarian/vegan in your places(companies, campuses, communities, etc.)? Or you usually cook by yourself?

I am Neil. I come from Taiwan. Vegetarian/vegan restaurants are not old fashion here. Some of they may be very high prices. I can take my friends to the nearest restaurant providing  vegetarian/vegan foods in any place of my hometown, especially in my community.

I am a Chinese, a yellow man, and have my own religious faith. In Taiwan, there are many vegetarian/vegan restaurants run by religious groups or the owner with religious faith.

However, it doesn't mean we have many vegetarians/vegans. Most people are flexitarians.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-17-2014, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Chen View Post

For a vegetarian/vegan, a convenience getting a dish outside may not be a easy thing.
Do you think it is convenient to get a dish of vegetarian/vegan in your places(companies, campuses, communities, etc.)? Or you usually cook by yourself?

I am Neil. I come from Taiwan. Vegetarian/vegan restaurants are not old fashion here. Some of they may be very high prices. I can take my friends to the nearest restaurant providing  vegetarian/vegan foods in any place of my hometown, especially in my community.

I am a Chinese, a yellow man, and have my own religious faith. In Taiwan, there are many vegetarian/vegan restaurants run by religious groups or the owner with religious faith.
However, it doesn't mean we have many vegetarians/vegans. Most people are flexitarians.

Hi Neil.

Yea, you are lucky to live in a country which doesnt admonish the vegab lifestyle. Asian countries seem to lean more torward that country. In america you have to travel far and wide to find a vegan place, one block in any direction for a place that sells malformed chemically induced meat. Id have to make my own food before going out or snacks or i go hungry. Diffetent cultures will bring different answers, but youre lucky your lifestyle fits thay of your asian cultures.
#3 Old 02-17-2014, 05:20 AM

Hello Neil,

You're lucky.  Most places in Asia, it's pretty easy, because local culture doesn't include adding cheese and meat to most dishes.

In most of Europe and the Americas, it can be inconvenient.  Usually we end up getting fruit, because a noodle or bread dish will usually contain dairy or meat products.

Although in some places (grocery or convenience stores- many gas stations even), it can be pretty easy to grab a can of beans and some tortillas for a quick and substantial vegan fix.  Sometimes you have to figure out how to open a can though...

There's also the peanut butter option in the U.S.A- it's available almost anywhere, and makes a satisfying meal with crackers of pretzels (pretzels are almost always vegan) for dipping.

I can always find something :)

Although, it's very easy to be vegetarian (if you don't avoid dairy and egg), because that makes almost all simple breads available around the world.

I don't do that, but some people are vegan at home, and flexible vegetarian when out, eating some bread that contains dairy.  I can understand why, particularly if they don't know what to look for.

Neil Chen likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-17-2014, 04:25 PM
Don't Eat Animals.

Neil -

The US is tricky for finding veg*n meals.  You get pretty good at it. There's a lot of really bad food in America.  Really bad food.

I have traveled all over Asia, & have had NO PROBLEM finding veg*n meals. 

It seems easier in Asia.  :sunny:

Neil Chen likes this.

All animals should be respected & should have the ability to lead a natural & enjoyable life. This means not eating them, or abusing them in any way.
#5 Old 02-17-2014, 05:28 PM
Veggie Regular

I think it's relatively convenient to get a vegetarian or vegan dish in Australia, if you're living in one of our major cities. Sydney restaurants usually have a vegetarian option (or 3) and a lot of those can be made vegan on request.

Anything more rural though and you could run into some issues and at the very least, there's not a great selection. I think it's a lot harder for someone to go veg, and still eat out with friends, in rural Australia than it is in the cities, where it's not only easier to get something but people don't tend to look at you like you've got two heads when you say "Is this vegetarian friendly?"

Most of the time though, I cook at home. It's easier than having to explain things to people, there's no worry about meat contamination and I know what's going into the dish.

Neil Chen likes this.
#6 Old 02-19-2014, 01:00 PM
Lifelong vegetarian

In Holland it is not difficult to get a vegetarian meal. Most restaurants have a vegetarian dish on their menu.

Neil Chen likes this.

My usual answer: I have never heard a convincing reason to eat meat.
#7 Old 02-19-2014, 01:16 PM

I am attending a university in Cincinnati Ohio and I think that although it is not super easy to get a meal here, I see such strides are being made and I am in such a progressive place being on campus that overall I really can't complain. Over the short time that I have been vegan, I already have noticed a change for the better. Vegetarian is becoming more mainstream and I see vegetarian options (and sometimes whole sections!) on almost every menu that I pick up. Now, granted, this is not vegan, but I still see it as making my job easier. A vegetarian meal on the menu means less questions that I have to ask and less ingredients left to chance. 

Off campus is another story. I need to push to go to chain restaurants where I already know their menu, or to build your own meal places where I can have control over what goes into my meal. But overall, I have been met with understanding in my dietary choices as most places will help when and where they can even if they look at me like I am cray for eating what I do! :p

Neil Chen likes this.

"To the beaten pig, I hear your screams; to the scolded chicken, I feel your pain; and to the stunned cow, I see your suffering. It is real to so many of us who value your life on earth as much as our own. We are no more important than you. We are so sorry that humans possess so little mercy for those whom they have the power to abuse. We will do everything we can to end your misery until the day we die. You are not alone."
#8 Old 02-19-2014, 03:12 PM
Veggie Regular

It really depends on where you are in the US. I used to live in southern Florida, and now I'm in the Chicago area. In both, most restaurants have at least one dish on the menu to accommodate vegetarians. You may have to ask for changes to get it vegan, though. But in places like the deep South, or rural areas in general, it's much more difficult.

--Fromper
juggle.gif
Neil Chen likes this.
#9 Old 02-22-2014, 07:16 PM

My boyfriend and I cook for ourselves for the most part since it is healthier but, if we feel like going out to eat, I've found that it's pretty easy to find vegetarian places.  Even when I've gone out to dinner with my family or coworkers, there is almost always a vegetarian option.  I try to eat mostly vegan but I do allow myself some dairy (I can't have too much or I'll get sick) when I go out to dinner with friends, family, or coworkers.  When my boyfriend and I go out, we go to one of the vegan restaurants.  We live in Toronto so there are tons of places :)

Neil Chen likes this.
#10 Old 02-22-2014, 09:29 PM
Plant/Fungi based.

Well where I live in the U.S. only some places serve one or two vegan dishes. Instead of going to a restaurant and having no options I just cook my own food.

Neil Chen likes this.
#11 Old 02-23-2014, 03:40 AM
Veggie Regular

Where I am (The UK)  there is absolutely always a couple of vegetarian options, often more at the better places. I've only just properly switched to Vegan, so I'm about to find out about that!! Oh no!

Neil Chen likes this.
#12 Old 02-23-2014, 03:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by a Balloon a Balloon View Post

Where I am (The UK)  there is absolutely always a couple of vegetarian options, often more at the better places. I've only just properly switched to Vegan, so I'm about to find out about that!! Oh no!

I don't know if you have one near you but the Loungers chain has a vegan menu :D it's nothing particularly exciting but kudos to them for having it!  I've had the tapas and most of it is quite tasty.

http://www.thelounges.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/LO_VE_Menu_V1-1.11.13.pdf

#13 Old 02-23-2014, 03:57 AM
Banned

http://www.guidetoveganliving.org.uk/eating-out/eating-vegans-in-mainstream-restaurants/

http://www.guidetoveganliving.org.uk/eating-out/restaurants-which-are-best-for-vegan-food/

Quote from above link:

UK chain restaurants known to have vegan options

ASK
JD Wetherspoon
Las Iguanas
Nando’s            <<<<<<<< really?!  Not sure about that .....
Pizza Express
Pizza Hut
Tampopo
Wagamama
Wahaca (London)
Zizzi’s

http://www.happycow.net/

#14 Old 02-23-2014, 04:14 AM
Banned

#15 Old 02-23-2014, 03:24 PM
Veggie Regular

I live on the outskirts of Philadelphia and so far in most chain restaurants I could find something Vegetarian. In Philadelphia itself it's so easy to find things, even Vegan options! Directly near me though it's hard to find a lot of vegetarian or vegan options. Its so much fast food, like hoagies, cheesesteaks, and cheeseburgers. Vegan is nearly impossible to find here. I usually go to Middle Eastern, Asian or Indian places to get good vegetarian or vegan food.  

Neil Chen likes this.
#16 Old 02-23-2014, 04:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet-Vegan View Post

http://www.guidetoveganliving.org.uk/eating-out/eating-vegans-in-mainstream-restaurants/

http://www.guidetoveganliving.org.uk/eating-out/restaurants-which-are-best-for-vegan-food/

Quote from above link:

UK chain restaurants known to have vegan options

ASK
JD Wetherspoon
Las Iguanas
Nando’s            <<<<<<<< really?!  Not sure about that .....
Pizza Express
Pizza Hut

Tampopo
Wagamama
Wahaca (London)
Zizzi’s

http://www.happycow.net/

Not to sure about these either (Pizza Hut and Pizza Express)--I hope they can leave the meat and cheese off. I do know, at least in the U.S., their food taste like library paste.

To the OP, we have a Mexican restaurant that will happily remove meat and cheese from their entree's if you ask them. We have a tiny Greek place that has a vegetarian option, but not a vegan one, yet. :sick: I've been to the rural coastal part of the state I'm in (State of Washington), and restaurants were very happy to remove cheese from their vegetarian options.:nana: 

Neil Chen likes this.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#17 Old 02-23-2014, 07:09 PM
Veggie Regular

There are a handful of restaurants in my mid sized city that cater to vegans, including a pizza restaurant that makes vegan pizza and subs.  There are double that amount of vegetarian restaurants that also work with vegans.  The hospitals however are terrible as far as healthful food that is not lathered in cheese or meat or other animal byproducts.  My Mom was in a local hospital for several days and was eating gluten free vegan at the time and she had a hellish time of it.  One dinner they were able to come up with for her was a plain baked potato and tea.  I kid you not.  However, that is beginning to change.  I donated a vegan institutional cookbook (from the Vegetarian Resource Group site) to the director of nutrition services at a local hospital where I work and wrote him a letter about including more vegan options for patients and visitors and for those with food allergies (such as soy or other plant milks).  I did not get a reply but within a month I noticed some of those recipes on the menu and more bean and veggie/grain dishes being offered.  They are also now including soy milk.  I also contacted two different grocery stores to put in a request for vegan items I could not find otherwise...tempeh and coconut milk yogurt.  The stores were happy to comply and those items were on the shelf within a month and still are several years later.  The only area I have not been successful with is getting vegan items to be included for catering events at the large office where I work.  I was told there wasn't enough of an interest from other employees, although I find it hard to believe it would be that big of a deal to include a few fresh fruits or hummus and veggies at an event.  Oh well, I never eat at those things anyway.  I bring my own food to work.

At any rate, don't despair if you can't find what you need.  You just have to be a bit proactive and inquire and request specific foods.  The more we speak up, the more we will be heard and the more vegan and vegetarian items will be offered.    

Neil Chen likes this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#18 Old 02-23-2014, 07:36 PM
Veggie Regular

There are 5 restaurants close enough and quick enough to order in my 30 minutes lunchbreak, but none of them are vegan friendly. To list them: Pizza hut, Subway, Wendy's and two Canadian restaurants specialized in fried chicken(St-Hubert and Scores). So basically, if I don't bring my lunch, the best I'm gonna get is a French fry and a green salad at Wendy's or a sandwich at Subway with only the veggies and a choice between red sauce or mustard for seasoning.

Even if I was still omni, it's all junk anyway. I gained a ton of weight back then eating there. Bringing my own lunch is the only suitable solution.

Neil Chen likes this.
#19 Old 02-23-2014, 07:58 PM

There's a simple side salad option most everywhere around here, it seems...but for an actual MEAL? Not easy to find! Vegetarian fare is easier to find than vegan, but there IS a single restaurant I know of that has several veg*n options, including a few things you can make a good meal of.

Neil Chen likes this.
#20 Old 02-24-2014, 09:00 AM
Beginner

Where I live in Northern Ireland, I've yet to see a "Vegan" or Vegetarian" restaurant anywhere!

Here, restaurants (which are ALL omnivore) will offer maybe 1 or 2 vegetarian options if your lucky, but Vegan -forget it!

On offer is usually either salad, pasta or goat's cheese tart! After 30 years, believe me, you do get fed up! :(

Neil Chen likes this.

Vegetarian since October 1983
#21 Old 02-24-2014, 05:33 PM

:( I am sorry for that. Providing veg is not so difficult. Perhaps, they don't understand.

Did you ever participated in any veg groups in Northern Ireland?

I think people need more education and then they will understand.

#22 Old 02-25-2014, 08:11 AM
Beginner

Don't know of any veg groups here either!

Neil Chen likes this.

Vegetarian since October 1983
#23 Old 02-26-2014, 09:11 PM
Not a Beginner

Raw food seems to be fashionable here (Perth, Western Australia) at the moment, so it's getting easier and easier. Lots of little cafes are springing up. Even the cafe in the bottom of our work building always has a hot vegetarian option and a couple of different lunch rolls each day. Unfortunately they're usually laden with cheese or cream, which rules them out for someone with dairy intolerance (me). Judging by the number of vegetarians in our area of the building, it makes economic sense for them.
#24 Old 02-26-2014, 11:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Yes. Even in places that have nothing vegan on the menu, I have learned how to ask for side dishes to be combined as a meal. Rice and broccoli, that works.

It's the conversations with dinner companions that ensues after I ask if things are vegan that can be difficult, especially if they don't already know. It's not that bad though.
Neil Chen likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page