Anyone Ever Fallen Off the Wagon? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-21-2004, 10:26 AM
Beginner

In response to the other thread: Have any of you, while veggie, had a piece of meat? Did you still call yourself a veggie? And how did it make you feel?

Just curious
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-21-2004, 10:28 AM
Veggie Regular

Nope. I have not tasted dead animal carass since Sept. 02. Don't want to.

I HAVE realized that products I had eaten had gelatin, lard etc. in them, but never ate them knowingly. I always felt gross after, but not guilty, because it's not like I meant to.
#3 Old 04-21-2004, 10:47 AM
Veggie Regular

I started eating a meat and dairy free diet in April of 2000. About a month after that I ate a piece of pepperoni pizza in a moment of weakness (I was a health "vegan" at this point). It was awful, greasy, and didn't taste nearly as good as I thought it would. I also got a terrible stomach ache from the cheese.

I count my veggie anniversary from May 2000, because I don't think I was really dedicated up to that point (obviously, if I willingly ate meat). I keep that experience in mind whenever I'm tempted by memories of foods I used to like. Nothing I can put in my mouth is going to taste as good as good as I think it might, especially with the knowledge that I contributed to the death of a living, breathing creature.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-21-2004, 10:49 AM
Veggie Regular

Nope, no meat, broth or fat (that I've known of) since Nov. '02. I've slowly tried to eliminate other ingredients, too such as gelatin. I can't say I'm always successful.
#5 Old 04-21-2004, 11:08 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm told I ate a piece of brie at my 21st birthday party. I don't remember much about that night aside from the ceiling collapse, but I was pretty sick the next day.

Terra
#6 Old 04-21-2004, 11:14 AM
Veggie Regular

No. I've never knowingly eaten an animal product while I have been vegan.

I have been given things that have had animal products (that I found out about later, after eating the food), but never willingly.
#7 Old 04-21-2004, 11:15 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra View Post

I'm told I ate a piece of brie at my 21st birthday party. I don't remember much about that night aside from the ceiling collapse, but I was pretty sick the next day.

Terra

Sounds like you had a little bit more than that, too Anyways, once I had some soup made with a beef base. I specifically asked if it was made with vegetable base and they said yes, but upon inspection the next day, it clearly wasn't. My stomach wasn't too happy with that.
#8 Old 04-21-2004, 11:19 AM
Veggie Regular

I'd personally recommend turning this into a poll... you're asking people to reveal pretty embarrassing flaws about themselves in some cases. Reputations could be at stake.

Jim
#9 Old 04-21-2004, 11:21 AM
Veggie Regular

My dad once accidentally made me free range chicken nuggets that he grabbed at the health food store because they're right next to the veggie ones. I took a bite of one, and since I hadn't had a bit of meat in 4 years at that time I couldn't figure out what it was. It just tasted bad. I ended up becoming sick immediately and that's when I figured it out. My dad was really sorry.
#10 Old 04-21-2004, 11:26 AM
Veggie Regular

I also unwittingly ate cheese with rennet in it (nearly all cheese does,) for many years before learning that it was made of cow intestinal stuff. I think that there are alot of vegetarians who eat it without knowing.
#11 Old 04-21-2004, 11:34 AM
Veggie Regular

I haven't eaten any meat, fish, gelatin, etc, since '99, or any animal products (knowingly) since mid '03.

Before that I had 'transitioning' periods where I drastically reduced my consumption, but didn't cut it out entirely. It did get to the point though where I wasn't enjoying it anymore so since then I've had no desire to eat animal products and haven't done so knowingly.

I called myself a vegetarian from the age of 12 (after a brief stint at age 9), in '92, but I still occasionally ate meat (at friends houses or when my will was weak, and I ate fish sparingly until '99), so now I say I turned vegetarian at 19 since that's when I started taking it more seriously and rediscovered exactly what my reasonings were in the first place.
#12 Old 04-21-2004, 11:48 AM
Veggie Regular

I haven't eaten anything on purpose. i have purchased a couple of things with small amounts of animal products in and eaten them, since it's a shame to waste them, but other than that, i've no knowlingly consumed animal products sinc ei went veg.
#13 Old 04-21-2004, 11:52 AM
Veggie Regular

Zen master says, "There is no wagon, young grasshopper."
#14 Old 04-21-2004, 11:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbivore View Post

#15 Old 04-21-2004, 12:02 PM
Veggie Regular

No meat, fish, gelatin, or milk knowingly. I did have a tiny piece of milk chocolate after becoming vegan, but it tasted gross to me. I've acquired the dark chocolate taste, and that's all I really want!
#16 Old 04-21-2004, 12:47 PM
Veggie Regular

I haven't eaten any animal flesh since January 03 and any animal products since becoming vegan in Jan 04. I have no desire to taste Meat ever again. The thought makes me sick.
#17 Old 04-21-2004, 12:50 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm happy to fess up. I have deliberately had meat over the years and still considered myself vegetarian. I know how I feel about meat, my ethical reasons, and my choice to be a vegetarian. I have never had any doubts about my vegetarianism. This is something I did more in the first few years out of curiosity.* After a few times, I realized I just didn't like meat any more- it had permanently left my pallette of normal, palatable food. So I don't do it now, and even if I do it again, I'll feel the same way because I define myself by my overall lifestyle, beliefs, not by rare and unusual deviations from it.

BTW- I seem to remember a thread long ago where many people here fessed up to eating nonveg foods.

*another time was when I was very poor and my parents had many cold cut leftovers from my grandpa's funeral that were going to be thrown out. Considering I was pretty under weight and poor, and it didn't gross me out, I had no problem eating it. And given the same situation again, I'd do the same.
#18 Old 04-21-2004, 12:56 PM
Veggie Regular

[QUOTE=Thalia]even if I do it again, I'll feel the same way because I define myself by my overall lifestyle, beliefs, not by rare and unusual deviations from it.

QUOTE]

So if you had chicken today, you would still consider yourself a vegetarian?
#19 Old 04-21-2004, 01:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Recently I've been very tempted to eat a piece of chicken. I won't dare do it though because I am afraid that I'll enjoy it way too much and start eating it all the time, and I definitely don't want to do that.
#20 Old 04-21-2004, 01:24 PM
Veggie Regular

No! No animal flesh or by-products, knowingly. You can't always be 100% sure when eating out, even if you ask, that foods are "veg*n". The only thing that has tempted me is cheese and I just have to see "enzymes" to change my mind.
#21 Old 04-21-2004, 01:47 PM
Veggie Regular

I also did once and still consider myself vegetarian.

My brother in law and his family came out for visit. My husband told me that they were all set on having seafood (since we live in the seafood capitol of the world ) so we're going to take them to this particular restaurant that's known for that sort of stuff. I knew full good and well that the place wouldn't have anything for me so I decided that if that were truely the case (cause the menu's known to change), then I'd just order something with fish (my go-to food) and have done.

As good fortune would have it, they did have something that was pretty unoffensive and fish-free to boot so that's what I ordered but for appitizer, my BIL decided on some atrichoke and dip that had bits of formerly live things in it. I had mentally decided that I wouldn't have any and if asked, would say that I don't want to fill up before dinner. Before I could put my perfect plan into action, my BIL said "Dee, you didn't get any dip... here" and he scooped out a big hunk of that goo and gave it to me. I'm looking at this stuff for what seems like forever and finally took a very small bite. It was salty... dammmmm salty. So salty that I started wondering if he didn't accidentally order the fish-flavoured salt lick instead ... I don't think I've ever had that much salt in my life. That little bite tasted like I just ate a whole salt canister in one sitting. Just then, my husband said "Dee, don't eat that, it's got milk in it." and before I could respond, he took my bit and ate it himself. Everyone at the table was very apologetic and my BIL was very annoyed with himself for ordering something that not everyone could have. I told him it was okay and we all had a great time anyway.

But that night, I did have a pretty good-sized headache from what little cheese I ate so I know that was my punishment.

That's the only known time of falling off. Like everyone else, I've gotten slipped a few times but haven't knowingly gone a-chowing on ickycrap. My health is not worth that.
#22 Old 04-21-2004, 01:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbivore View Post

Good answer!

If a particular nonvegan product will have no impact on the suffering of animals than I see no reason to avoid it. I won't eat meat under that criteria because I don't see it as fit for my consumption (it would simply make me sick) but I'll easily scrape cheese or sauces off sandwiches or taste cakes or such. Mostly nonvisual stuff however as I have no appetite for many things.
#23 Old 04-21-2004, 01:51 PM
Administrator

Never intentionally. I do have a "don't ask, don't tell" policy regarding refried beans though. If I know they have lard I don't eat them but if I'm out and unsure I don't ask.

Follow me on Twitter - @_jorts
#24 Old 04-21-2004, 02:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfiedog View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalia View Post

even if I do it again, I'll feel the same way because I define myself by my overall lifestyle, beliefs, not by rare and unusual deviations from it.

So if you had chicken today, you would still consider yourself a vegetarian?

Yes. If I knew it was a one time, rare event for a special reason. Not if I thought it was going to be a habit.

Maybe I'd consider myself non-vegetarian for the day, but having an official label for myself each day seems silly, but overall, yes. Of course *you* don't have to consider me a vegetarian, and you can even take away my gold star if you like ; )

Everyone has to draw the line somewhere. I think part of that is being honest with yourself about your intents.

Same question for veganism. I have heard of vegans who have adopted vegetarian diets temporarily when in foreign countries where it is impossible to eat vegan. How soon after they have their last lacto-ovo meal are they vegan again?

My question back to you, if I ate chicken today, and never ate it, or any other meat again, when would I be vegetarian again?

If someone is born and raised vegetarian, hasn't had meat for 30 years, then one day eats a piece of chicken and then never eats it again, for what time period is that person not a vegetarian?

Anyhow, I am just sharing my experience for the sake of the thread.
#25 Old 04-21-2004, 02:14 PM
Administrator

I don't have much of an opinion either way but consider these scenarios...

You don't smoke. One night you go to a bar and have a cigarette. Does that mean you should be labelled a "smoker?"

Or... You're Catholic. You go with a friend to a Christian service. Does that mean you're now a Christian?

I can understand why people would frown on the occasional meat but when you put in that context you can see how some might not consider it a big deal.

#26 Old 04-21-2004, 02:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Thalia, I think you have a good attitude towards it.

It seems to me like you're focusing on the big picture (ie, what your veg*nism will acheive) and that can only be a good thing.
#27 Old 04-21-2004, 02:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganchick View Post

No! No animal flesh or by-products, knowingly. You can't always be 100% sure when eating out, even if you ask, that foods are "veg*n".

You can if a) you know the owner/server, and b) you know that they're veg*n -- or that a close relative is.

Which brings me to another question....Should veg*n restaurant owners be considered truly veg*n if they decide to sell animal products?

Terra
#28 Old 04-21-2004, 02:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post

Or... You're Catholic. You go with a friend to a Christian service. Does that mean you're now a Christian?

The first example was good, Michael, but this last one doesn't work. Catholics are already Christians.

Thalia, I think you're right on!
#29 Old 04-21-2004, 02:23 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikie View Post

The first example was good, Michael, but this last one doesn't work. Catholics are already Christians.

#30 Old 04-21-2004, 02:28 PM

whoa, i find this a strange form of vegetarianism. sometimes the lines around veganism can be blurry (honey, etc), but to eat meat and still call yourself vegetarian? i just don't see how that works, to be honest.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page