General Ponderings - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-13-2014, 05:34 PM

Hi Room,

I am a new member here, been veggie for a year, tried rawism/veganism and just didn't get it right which had detrimental affects to my health. My ethics and spiritualism however, are urging me to take the rawism/vegan pathway again.

However I still feel I am in the transitional period. Not in the sense that I am struggling to adapt to not eating meat. But I feel I am ignorant of mundane everyday things like soaps etc that I am using that contain animal fats. I feel like I havent fully embraced the vegetarian lifestyle and I am still learning.

I am at a stage in my life where I feel so much cruelty is endured and I need to make that transition to a plant based whole foods diet and lifestyle quicker, because of how strong my beliefs are becoming. I just dont feel I am equipped with the knowledge to be able to be healthy and be vegan. By that I mean, not just eating the same 3 meals day in day out.

I have just watched the documentary "Vegucated" and found myself in floods of tears and feeling angry towards myself for not making more of an effort to, not only help myself, health wise but help the environment. Yes I may be only one person, but if one person a day took on this principle then the chain reaction may make a difference to the environment.

I also find it very hard financially. In the UK it is very expensive to eat healthy and support local produce, if anyone has any ideas of how I can make it more financially viable let me know.

Anyway, that is my ramblings for this evening.

Speak soon

Nat

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-13-2014, 06:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Remember to be gentle with yourself. By not eating animal products, you are already making a huge difference for the animals. Using non vegan soap doesn't make that accomplishment less awesome.

Check out the 'what did you eat vegan today' type threads around for some recepie ideas. Rice and lentils/dal/beans, pasta, oats, breads will be very friendly to your wallet. Not sure how much bananas cost where you are but I get them for around 0.59 USD per lb, making a banana meal affordable.
#3 Old 01-13-2014, 06:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Don't sweat the small stuff. Remember, it's all small stuff. wink3.gif

Don't be hard on yourself. It's important to remember to take care of yourself and see it as a process. Ethical choices in our lives and our diets are a journey, not a destination.

I decided to become a vegan 10 years + a couple weeks ago, after many years as a typical omnivore. The first 3 to 6 months were a pain in the ass as I refined my diet and life. Struggled at times when I completely forgot that a Snicker's bar is not vegan, or that macaroni and cheese was not vegan. Usually after taking a bite. I tried doing the overnight vegan, except for non-meat, non-vegan household products. It might have been easier to turn it into steps. Like for now cut out meat, then after that was okay, cut out more and more.

I still have occasional 'incidents'. That's life. Use it as a learning experience and do something different next time.

Still remember that you do have to take care of yourself and do what you can as you can. Just make the best choices now.

I believe everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-14-2014, 02:43 AM

@beanspud  Thank you for your reply. Is strange really that you guess my manta "be gentle to yourself" :) I found going from a meat eater to a vegetarian so natural, it was as if it were my next step in my spiritual development.

I will definitely check out more of the threads in here, it is full of interesting perspectives as well. I will look into banana meal recipes as well. Thank you.

@nogardsram Again thank you for your reply, and for reiterating the fact of not being so hard on myself. Perhaps it is about steps, perhaps at the moment it is okay to be vegetarian whilst I take the step in learning how to take a healthy transition to vegan, or even adopting elements of veganism into my diet slowly but surely.

Thanks for the perspective

#5 Old 01-14-2014, 05:16 AM

Hello and welcome :)

As the two lovelies above me said, try not to beat yourself up over the small stuff, transitioning takes time especially when money is tight.

Keep your eye out for discount products (the reduced section is the first place I go when shopping), remember you can always freeze produce for use in soups/stews/curries etc. Tinned or dried beans/legumes ie. chickpeas, red lentils are good to stock up on. It only costs a few pence to make a lentil soup (I like mine with collard greens which usually cost £1 for a big bag full). If I'm on the go I'll buy fruit instead of chocolate, although some Co op bars are vegan :) 

As for bath stuff, Original Source and Lush products are usually vegan

Good Luck ! <3

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page