Do you tell people you’re Veg#an? - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
View Poll Results: Do you tell people you’re Veg#an?
Yes, I always tell people. 12 100.00%
I avoid telling others. 14 100.00%
I only tell close friends and family. 9 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#31 Old 01-20-2014, 09:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah I truly dislike it when people blurt it out at restaurants for many years this would happen to me sad.gif you see I was raised veg*n by my family and we still are vegan also we are very proud .... I love watching the look on some peoples faces who know I am vegan and I announce I'm vegan before they could Lol awwww I took all their fun away and when asked why do I not eat meat? I tell them eating tortured dead animals is not my thing .... milk belongs to baby cows and a chickens ovum is gross they usually don't enjoy their meal smiley.gif
I can tell that with some people mostly females ....
Purp and BuddhistLady like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 01-21-2014, 03:44 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't bring it up. My family and the majority of my coworkers knows so if they ask me questions I answer them but I don't draw attention to it. All that does is get me into arguments and allows people to try to run me down. Some people are supportive of my choice and dont harrass me about it but others feel it necessary to try to make me feel about my life choice (which i dont understand)
#33 Old 01-22-2014, 02:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexandraBee View Post

Much like most of you here, I don't want to convey to others that I am "pushy" so I try and not mention it at all. I will often ask what is in something before I eat it and not even say that I am veg. Enough people have allergies now that I have never really be questioned. 

this!

Naturebound likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 04-14-2014, 06:03 AM
Veggie Regular

so you would rather lie than to tell them what you believe if it comes up. smh .

Naturebound likes this.
#35 Old 04-14-2014, 11:55 AM
Veggie Regular

OMG I meant to like the last comment, not the one before.  Oops!

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#36 Old 04-14-2014, 12:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebound View Post

OMG I meant to like the last comment, not the one before.  Oops!

I tried to remove it with my moderator superpowers but failed miserably haha, hence it saying I've edited the post (I didn't)

:o

#37 Old 04-14-2014, 12:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet-Vegan View Post

I tried to remove it with my moderator superpowers but failed miserably haha, hence it saying I've edited the post (I didn't)

:o

Oh well, thanks for trying!  I really feel embarassed too.  Smacks self.  And the day is only half over lol.

60225 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#38 Old 04-14-2014, 12:08 PM
Banned

I always tell people if I need to, I don't go round proclaiming it.

I did initially so that people close to me were aware but now I mention it if it's relevant, however, I certainly don't hide it.

Most people are very accepting, if a bit 'pitying' about how I ''can't'' have this and ''can't'' have that ...  I always put them straight about how it's a choice, not a penance or an allergy :-)

#39 Old 04-14-2014, 08:33 PM
Plant/Fungi based.

I wear it on my sleeve, but don't shout it at others. I keep my mouth shut about things until someone asks me a question. So if they don't like hearing about the meat, dairy, and egg industry horrors they need not ask. If some one has genuine questions about things I eat that's fine, but if they start talking about how they love meat so much and it's so awesome I will talk about the most horrific and disgusting things that deal with it. I'm mean like that :)

#40 Old 04-15-2014, 12:15 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexandraBee View Post

Its funny because after reading all of the responses here it hit me that my meat eating friends and family are almost ALWAYS the ones to bring up MY vegetarianism. So instead of "when do I tell someone?" it should really be "when does my mother decide it is necessary to yell it out at a restaurant?" or "when does my fiancee blurt it out and try and embarrass me?"  or "When does my friend try and get me to eat bacon?" hahaha.

Not quite to those extremes, but it seems like oftentimes family members would bring it up in public food situations even when there is absolutely no need to do so, which is kind of annoying as I would rather not bring it up if I didn't have to.

Personally, I pretty much never discuss it unless it comes up naturally, such as I am living with somebody, or I am ordering food or grocery shopping. I am proud of being near-vegan, but I am not really the type to talk about it unless somebody else brings it up or I need to say something because somebody wants to provide me with food that I will not eat.

#41 Old 04-15-2014, 12:20 AM
Plant/Fungi based.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingthegreen View Post

Not quite to those extremes, but it seems like oftentimes family members would bring it up in public food situations even when there is absolutely no need to do so, which is kind of annoying as I would rather not bring it up if I didn't have to.

Back when I was vegetarian in high school any time I ate out with my father after I would order food he would say "He's vegetarian" to the person taking the order, I then ask him why he did it and his response was "Cause I don't want them to think I starve you". Very...   aggravating.

#42 Old 04-15-2014, 01:55 AM
Veggie Regular

I believe that there is no need to go out to announce it to the world that you  are vegetarian/ vegan, what ever, but if some one ask me. I am not going to lie about it and say I am allergic to stuff when I am not. That is just a straight out lie.  I mean out of all the meat eaters I have met, they have no problem with telling me why I could eat meat. So why  should you be afraid to be who you are. 

#43 Old 04-15-2014, 02:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Don't any of you ever wear vegan or vegetarian T shirts?  I wear vegan T shirts on occasion to the fitness center, or very occasionally just when I am out and about (but obviously not at places like work where I need to dress professionally).  I wear them when I leaflet or table events for animal causes.  Sometimes my T shirts have been great conversation starters about what it means to be vegan and truly care about animals and our world.  So in this way I guess I am "telling it to the world".  The world tells it to me that they are omnivore around every corner with constant advertisements about meat, dairy, eggs on the internet, tv, billboards...  I hear conversations about animal products and food all the time at work, see stuff about fishing and hunting gear and so on, and how we need animals for protein and calcium and how great leather and wool are bla bla.  My T shirts are a way to challenge some of that and offer a different viewpoint.  But it's not like I announce to everyone I talk to regularly that I am vegan.  I am quite an introvert and I don't talk much actually in real life.  But if it does come up in conversation, if it is an appropriate time and place, I will mention that I am vegan and say it very positively, not apologetically, and if we discuss it further, I try not to be preachy about it.  I won't allow others to badger me about it when I am at work though.  I once declined a treat from someone who offered me something she made  that had egg in it while we were at work.  I simply said no thank you.  She knew I was vegan, and asked why isn't it ok to eat eggs?  The animal doesn't have to be killed she said.  I would have gladly explained to her why I am against consuming eggs, but I just don't think doing it at work is an appropriate place to start a debate about animal ethics.  So I said that this wasn't a good time to discuss it but if she was interested we could talk about it later, perhaps on Facebook since she is a friend of mine there.  All she said was "I see" in the rudest tone.  Argh.

khadijah likes this.

#44 Old 04-15-2014, 09:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebound View Post

Don't any of you ever wear vegan or vegetarian T shirts? 

I do sometimes.  I wear my Herbivore 'Lucky Elephant' t-shirt to work but I don't think people tend to associate it with being vegan, it's just a pretty shirt to them!  I also have an Anonymous Vegan t-shirt that I wear to exercise in and a 'this is the knife they use ....' t-shirt that I wear as a pyjama top (nobody gets to see that one though!).

#45 Old 04-15-2014, 09:53 AM
Veggie Regular

I wish I could  get some shirt I would gladly wear them if I could. But I totally agree  Naturebounds,post

#46 Old 04-15-2014, 10:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHADIJAH View Post

I wish I could  get some shirt I would gladly wear them if I could. But I totally agree  Naturebounds,post

Shipping costs might be high but here's the link to Herbivore Clothing:

http://www.herbivoreclothing.com/

I have this one

http://www.herbivoreclothing.com/good-luck-elephant-womens-tee/

and this one

http://media-cache-cd0.pinimg.com/736x/f3/eb/c8/f3ebc8278321e2f181026ebeeed14a9f.jpg

#47 Old 04-16-2014, 08:32 AM
Veggie Regular

thanks for the link

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page