Funny story. Had a meat-eater friend over for dinner last night... - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-17-2013, 11:54 AM

Hi all. I've been a vegetarian for almost 9 years and have been slowly transitioning to vegan (as best I can!) in the past 2 years. Thought some of you might find this story entertaining or relatable.

I had a non-vegetarian friend over last night for dinner and she said she put so much thought into making something vegetarian. So, she brought over a vegetarian tomato sauce for our pasta. I thought this was great. She comes over with her pot of tomato sauce and as she's heating it up on the stove I glance over and what do I see sitting there in the sauce? BACON!! I said to her "wow! This looks really good... How did you make it?" (My discreet way of getting her to tell me there was bacon in it) she said "oh it was so simple. Just sautéed some bacon..." I said "Bacon? Why would you add bacon?" She said "why not?" I said "because I don't eat bacon.." She said "oh no, I'm sorry. I didn't even think of bacon as meat!" And then she says "could you just pick it out?" And then she proceeds to ask me the million questions of why I don't eat meat. I realize after she added chicken broth as well.. So even without the bacon, it wasn't a vegetarian dish. LOL.

Had to get this off my chest and share with you all. After 9 years people are still questioning why I'm a vegetarian and still don't seem to understand WHY I made this choice! I guess their confusion never ends, hey? tongue3.gif
Werewolf Girl likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-17-2013, 01:24 PM
Super Moderator

Wow, she was really clueless! laugh.gif

Most people I know are pretty good about it and understand what I do and don't eat but every now and then someone will say something that makes you feel nuts... dizzy2.gif

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#3 Old 12-17-2013, 05:11 PM

That's funny....
in how sad it is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-17-2013, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppetBoy View Post

That's funny....
in how sad it is.

Totally. The sad part is how this story makes her look stupid and I would consider her an intelligent lady! Couldn't believe it. Still thinking about it today.
#5 Old 12-17-2013, 06:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Wow!

Maybe it really speaks to how much of a mental block some people have when it comes to meat=animals.

Good thing you saw it before eating it though!

Technus likes this.
#6 Old 12-18-2013, 06:50 AM
Don't Eat Animals.

I know a girl who proudly proclaims that she's veg*n.

She says "I'm veg*n, but I eat fish."

The trouble is, she really thinks that she's a veg*n.......even when I explain to her that she's not.  :worried:

All animals should be respected & should have the ability to lead a natural & enjoyable life. This means not eating them, or abusing them in any way.
#7 Old 12-18-2013, 08:47 AM
Banned

Deleted.
#8 Old 12-18-2013, 11:20 AM

Exactly. The chicken broth I could have seen but big chunks of bacon?! I'm certain she was just cooking a recipe the same way she always does and didn't even think about it. After grilling me about why I don't eat meat (I think she was trying to make herself feel better) and after I gave her several reasons that didn't seem to satisfy her I finally just said I love animals so I couldn't eat them. That silenced her. laugh.gif

Tofuvegman - I know a lot of people like that! The best is "I'm a vegetarian but I eat chicken". Apparently some people don't think some animals are meat!
#9 Old 12-18-2013, 01:47 PM
Banned

Deleted.
#10 Old 12-18-2013, 03:33 PM
Don't Eat Animals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniela View Post

Tofuvegman, she's looking for a title. Tell her she's a pesceterian (eats fish).

Thanks....yea, I know the title.....kinda like pedestrian.   :confused:

Either you're a veg*n, or you're not a veg*n.  Kinda like being "half pregnant".   :eek:

All animals should be respected & should have the ability to lead a natural & enjoyable life. This means not eating them, or abusing them in any way.
#11 Old 12-23-2013, 07:56 AM
Veggie Regular

I've encountered several omnis who didn't know pepperoni was meat, so maybe she really didn't know what bacon was. 

slops, gloops, and gruels.
#12 Old 12-25-2013, 05:44 PM
Meat Free Since Dec 2013!

Really enjoyed this one!  I've only been vegetarian a few weeks, but things like this just amaze me.  I'm also shocked by products that have meat in them that I never suspected -- like the restaurant that rubs all potatoes they bake (including sweet potatoes!) with bacon grease.  Why?  Today, fixing the Christmas meal, and I came across a forgotten box of cornbread stuffing.  I thought I'd make it for the family (I didn't really care for it), until I read the ingredients -- it had chicken and chicken fat in it.  Okay.  If you put it IN a dead animal, why do you need a dead animal in it???? This kind of stuff just floors me.  I refused to cook it on general principle after that :)

#13 Old 12-25-2013, 06:46 PM
Poo Pie Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by peace View Post

I've encountered several omnis who didn't know pepperoni was meat, so maybe she really didn't know what bacon was. 

Ok, that perked my ears up. What prey tell did they think pepperoni was exactly? Fruit?
#14 Old 12-26-2013, 08:56 AM
Veggie Regular

How can people be so clueless about what they eat?

#15 Old 12-26-2013, 06:33 PM

The depressing thing is, it's not even that uncommon!

A common issue when eating out...

Often at restaurants (especially thai places and other asian fooderies) the 'vegetarian' dishes will be cooked with fish sauce!

The scary thing is, if you don't ask you won't find out!

Same reason I avoid ordering chips or other fried foods when at restaurants, as they will often be fried in the same oil as the meat - apparently the dead animal fat makes the food taste 'better', and yet it's still considered vegetarian...

I guess it's general lack of awareness, people brought up into a society where meat is more commonplace than vegetables, and they think we are the weird ones!

A healthy vegan is a happy vegan
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
#16 Old 01-04-2014, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coexist52 View Post

Really enjoyed this one!  I've only been vegetarian a few weeks, but things like this just amaze me.  I'm also shocked by products that have meat in them that I never suspected -- like the restaurant that rubs all potatoes they bake (including sweet potatoes!) with bacon grease.  Why?  Today, fixing the Christmas meal, and I came across a forgotten box of cornbread stuffing.  I thought I'd make it for the family (I didn't really care for it), until I read the ingredients -- it had chicken and chicken fat in it.  Okay.  If you put it IN a dead animal, why do you need a dead animal in it???? This kind of stuff just floors me.  I refused to cook it on general principle after that :)

I've encountered this a lot as well when I first became a vegetarian.  There is not even any need to put animal products in a lot of foods, but they do it anyway.  And to be honest I don't even notice any difference in taste from when I ate meat and now with similar vegetarian products. 

And getting back to the point, there really does seem to be a huge disconnect with meat eaters knowing where their food is coming from.  I bet you if everyone had to kill the animals that they are eating, there would be a lot more vegetarians.

And how could you not know that bacon is meat?  Not sure if extremely stupid, or doing it on purpose.

#17 Old 01-05-2014, 05:16 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Unbelievable but true:

http://m.huffpost.com/uk/entry/1593676
"More than a third of 16 to 23-year-olds (36%) do not know bacon comes from pigs and four in 10 (40%) failed to link milk with an image of a dairy cow, with 7% linking it to wheat, the poll of 2,000 people for charity Leaf (Linking Environment and Farming) found.

Some 41% correctly linked butter to a dairy cow, with 8% linking it to beef cattle, while 67% were able to link eggs to an image of a hen but 11% thought they came from wheat or maize."
#18 Old 01-05-2014, 06:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post

Unbelievable but true:

"More than a third of 16 to 23-year-olds (36%) do not know bacon comes from pigs and four in 10 (40%) failed to link milk with an image of a dairy cow, with 7% linking it to wheat, the poll of 2,000 people for charity Leaf (Linking Environment and Farming) found.

Some 41% correctly linked butter to a dairy cow, with 8% linking it to beef cattle, while 67% were able to link eggs to an image of a hen but 11% thought they came from wheat or maize."

Wait, what?!!  I weep for the future of humanity :-(

#19 Old 01-05-2014, 06:31 AM
Veggie Regular

Someone I know, who just found out that I'm a vegan and that I don't drink milk or eat honey or butter, asked, "Butter is from pigs, right?" 

And he's in his mid-20s. 

#20 Old 01-05-2014, 09:02 AM

My mother is big on the "you can pick it out" line. She means well, really. She just really doesn't get it.

#21 Old 01-05-2014, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post

Unbelievable but true:

I can't even. And it's not even like they're young children. By 16 you should know where all that stuff comes from. I knew it by age 6. :confused:

#22 Old 01-05-2014, 07:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks for sharing your story, Life! That is one of the more ridiculous and laughable things I have heard lately. I could see if she thought you didn't eat red meat or something...but then the bacon...? I guess people are just that clueless.

BTW, who would even consider putting bacon and chicken broth in a tomato sauce? Veggie or not, that sounds super weird!

It sounds like you handled it really well. Hopefully your friend understands a little bit better now! It was nice of her to try to accommodate you... smiley.gif
#23 Old 01-05-2014, 10:20 PM
Veggie Regular

yeah I know a few  like that who say  they are  vegetarian but still eat chicken or use  chicken or beef stocks.  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page