Conversions and contradictions. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-10-2013, 04:32 AM
Veggie Regular

For those who may not know, I've been vegetarian by default (since birth), more accurately lacto-vegetarian but I've cut out the milk now by over 80%. I've also never used by-products of animals in anyway. To be frank when I first came to Veggieboards I felt I like I would be one the more experienced ones with such a diet (twenty-eight years), I wasn't even sure if people here would believe that a lifetime dietary change would be possible. That was when I knew very little about this place. What happened instead was me realizing that there was much for me to learn from the vegans and activists in Veggieboards, it was a shock.. a very pleasant one. I thought much of the world had no idea about vegetarianism/veganism, only to discover that I had plenty of company world over and I admit I've learnt much from this place in such a short time, inspired rather.

Which is why there comes a new problem. Every so often there comes a person who would know my diet, to ask me the benefits of the diet and to ask if it is possible to lose weight and become healthy. Other usual questions like "is vegetarian food tasty?" would naturally follow. I find this slightly irritating because, the fact that it is indeed healthy and tasty apart, there is a larger picture for me following this lifestyle.. trying to be better myself. This is part of the reason I have a "don't ask don't tell policy" when it comes to food preferences. Some of them though, do start a veggie diet after asking for my advice. This is about the time I feel a little "good" that maybe they haven't asked for nothing afterall. Two weeks to a month later, the same people give feedback without my asking that even though they felt healthy they simply missed their old diet and switched back. Now this is really something I do not want to know, for me it is meaningless and beyond logical that they just consider this a disposable option when they feel like it or when health demands, demeaning everything a vegetarian stands for. I reject articles that portray a veggie diet as an experiment or next new health fad, there's much more to it than just going back and forth. There is no politically correct way of putting this but knowing what I do, and knowing how so many of you here do it for the correct reason - that of living in compassion/harmony, or atleast for saving earth for the preservation of humanity. I feel I'm less accepting of such contradictions now. Its bad enough that condescension is used against us and now we have this as well. Any experiences?

Purp likes this.

The earth has enough resources for everyones need but not their greed.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-10-2013, 06:43 AM
Don't Eat Animals.

Right On varun!  :up:

I totally agree.  I don't "advertise" about my Veg*n choice either. Kinda like DADT. 

As far as people asking about "tasty veg*n food", let them munch on a fresh organic carrot, red bell pepper, or gala apple.  Compare & contrast that to the processed frankenfood that they call a burger, burrito, or whatever they eat at their drive-thru of choice. 

Dr. Dean Ornish has a famous quote about "eating things grown on a plant, not made in a plant".   Sure, that Twinkie might taste great & have a 120 year shelf life.......but it's filled with unhealthy chemicals that are real bad for you.  The carrot has one ingredient: carrot.  And it's good for you & no animals are harmed in the growing & harvesting of it.

All animals should be respected & should have the ability to lead a natural & enjoyable life. This means not eating them, or abusing them in any way.
#3 Old 12-10-2013, 11:49 AM
Lifelong vegetarian

Hi Varun,

I am also a lifelong vegetarian (58 years) and I have the same ideas as you. I see around me that there are vegetarians and there are "vegetarians". And sometimes faketarians.

Purp and varun like this.

My usual answer: I have never heard a convincing reason to eat meat.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page