Veg*n celebrities and what they think about it! - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#31 Old 12-02-2013, 03:20 PM
Super Moderator

I just saw this article by the Huffington Post: 16 Vegan Celebrities Who've Given Up Animal Products For A Healthier Lifestyle

Pretty cool! thumbsup.gif

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 12-08-2013, 05:46 AM
Don't Eat Animals.

It still blows my mind that Mike Tyson is a vegan.  :huh:

I picture him eating a 64 oz steak and 2 or 3 baked potatoes.  :hungry:

It's great that these public figures are able to spread the word that a meatless diet is possible.  :sunny:

All animals should be respected & should have the ability to lead a natural & enjoyable life. This means not eating them, or abusing them in any way.
#33 Old 12-08-2013, 10:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOFUVEGMAN View Post

It still blows my mind that Mike Tyson is a vegan.  :huh:

I picture him eating a 64 oz steak and 2 or 3 baked potatoes.  :hungry:

It's great that these public figures are able to spread the word that a meatless diet is possible.  :sunny:

Why am I constantly the bearer of bad news?!  I feel like the harbinger of doom ...  Interview with Tyson in November 2013.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/tv/showtracker/la-et-st-mike-tyson-undisputed-truth-brad-pitt-vegan-20131115,0,2410821.story

Are you still vegan?
No. I was vegan for four and a half years. I saw this documentary, "Forks Over Knives," and it really said being a vegan's too extreme, and being a red-meat eater's too extreme every day. You have to find balance. Balance is what I never had but I needed. Either I'm on top of the world, spending a lot of money, or else I'm in the sewage. I'm not on top of the world, and I'm not in the sewage. This is really new for me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 12-08-2013, 03:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet-Vegan View Post

Why am I constantly the bearer of bad news?!  I feel like the harbinger of doom ...  Interview with Tyson in November 2013.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/tv/showtracker/la-et-st-mike-tyson-undisputed-truth-brad-pitt-vegan-20131115,0,2410821.story

Are you still vegan?
No. I was vegan for four and a half years. I saw this documentary, "Forks Over Knives," and it really said being a vegan's too extreme, and being a red-meat eater's too extreme every day. You have to find balance. Balance is what I never had but I needed. Either I'm on top of the world, spending a lot of money, or else I'm in the sewage. I'm not on top of the world, and I'm not in the sewage. This is really new for me.

.... Uhmmmmm, I can't even.

#35 Old 12-08-2013, 03:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Lilly View Post

.... Uhmmmmm, I can't even.

Haha!  I know how you feel.

This is from another interview in April about why he turned to a vegan diet.  I know he's not the sharpest knife in the cutlery drawer but ...

''I was real carnivilous [sic] when I was training for fights – a lot of meat, cheese, bread. I devoured everything besides pork. I used to eat a lot. As I got older I didn't like the way I was feeling. I had a lot of arthritis, joint problems and I was morbidly obeast [sic]''

True veganism involves eschewing animal products in all forms including leather. Are you that strict?

Listen, I was there. I've been to there already. I had my vegan clothes, my jeans, my shoes. It was just too strict. So I said I just won't eat you. I may wear you, but I ain't going to eat you. OK? Listen, when I go, I go. I'm to the extreme. But in order to be that way I have to realize my extremities [sic] can destroy my family so I'd have to say listen we all have to be vegans here. That was getting crazy so I had to say listen I'm going to have to take care of myself. And let me handle and worry about myself. It doesn't work for everybody.

#36 Old 12-08-2013, 04:55 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Well, Tyson is a rapist, wife beater, and ear-biter-off-while-boxing, so I'm not shocked about anything else he does tbh.
#37 Old 12-08-2013, 11:54 PM
Veggie Regular

So, I was surfing the 'net instead of making dinner....And found this story that contains 99 Celebrity Vegetarians!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/25/celebrity-vegetarians-thanksgiving_n_4311396.html#slide=3136603

I don't know how accurate it is, given that I think Denzel Washington is quite meat free yet and Mike Tyson is.... I don't even know.

But the sheer number of my favourite artists/comedy people/actors/ect that are also veg? It made me happy.

Now I'm going to make some dinner to celebrate!

#38 Old 12-09-2013, 07:57 AM
Don't Eat Animals.

Quote:

Are you still vegan?

Thanks for the update.  It's not surprising.....

All animals should be respected & should have the ability to lead a natural & enjoyable life. This means not eating them, or abusing them in any way.
#39 Old 12-09-2013, 09:09 AM
Banned

Quote:

Thanks for the update.  It's not surprising.....

To be fair, I think it's a recent thing.  The interviews with him in April 2013 indicate he was still at least eating vegan at that point. 

#40 Old 12-09-2013, 09:43 AM
Veggie Regular

How do you watch forks over knives and come to the conclusion that you should eat animals again? That the message is plant based diet is too extreme? What?
Werewolf Girl likes this.
#41 Old 12-09-2013, 09:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by natty6 View Post

How do you watch forks over knives and come to the conclusion that you should eat animals again? That the message is plant based diet is too extreme? What?

I have no idea - I've never seen the film and now I'm scared to in case I feel compelled rush out and buy a suckling pig for dinner ... :|

#42 Old 12-09-2013, 10:13 AM
Veggie Regular

^ could happen
#43 Old 12-09-2013, 12:54 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Listen, I was there. I've been to there already. I had my vegan clothes, my jeans, my shoes. It was just too strict. So I said I just won't eat you. I may wear you, but I ain't going to eat you. OK?

How very generous of him, I'm sure the animals really appreciate that he thinks they should only die for his clothing and not his food. rolleyes.gif
Quote:

I have no idea, that was the weirdest part for me. If anything watching FOK should have made him want to be more vegan. He seems like a pretty bizarre person so who knows what his thought process was there.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#44 Old 12-09-2013, 03:47 PM
Beginner's Mind

Well, some human beings don't know how to become better people.  I think that, rather than animal welfare specifically, health, or environment, is his main motive: trying to find his own form of spirituality and a way of life that's not ultimately self-defeating.  But he's not a famous psychologist, he's an athlete.  You can't call him a leader in self reform, though I'm sure he'd make an interesting case study if one were close enough to grasp his thought process better than we celebrity watchers can have much hope of doing.

Jenner: I learned this much: take what you can, when you can.

Justin: Then you have learned nothing!

The Secret of NIMH

#45 Old 12-10-2013, 01:22 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Unfortunately, there are selfish or conceited (or whatever adjective you'd like to put here) people like that in the world. 

Recently, I spoke to my Taiwanese teacher about my advocacy for animal rights while she was editing my paper. Our short and unproductive conversation went something like this: 

Taiwanese: Yeah, I heard about these chickens being served in KFC were actually injected with a lot of growth hormones so they become fat and aren't able to walk.

Me: That's true, they're also crammed in very tiny cages that not only can't they walk, they're also sharing that tiny cage with other fat chickens so ultimately, they can't move at all! 

Taiwanese: I know, I saw that documentary about it... BUT, I still eat KFC chicken. <Insert evil laugh>

How the hell can you say, "You're such a selfish *****" in Chinese without sounding so impolite? (That's rhetorical.) 

#46 Old 12-10-2013, 06:25 PM
Don't Eat Animals.

Quote:

I have no idea - I've never seen the film and now I'm scared to in case I feel compelled rush out and buy a suckling pig for dinner ... :|

If you saw the film.....there's no way you'd do that.  It's a very educational film, I highly recommend it.  :up:

#47 Old 12-16-2013, 02:07 PM
Super Moderator

Today I learned that Tayrn Manning (who plays creepy methhead Pennsatucky on Orange is the New Black) works with Farm Sanctuary and is a pescetarian on her way to becoming vegan! Super cool to learn since she plays such a convincing villain on the show.

http://www.parade.com/222175/michelechollow/compassion-is-the-new-black-for-taryn-manning/#.Uq9ExODAaPc.twitter

http://www.grubstreet.com/2013/12/taryn-manning-grub-street-diet.html

#48 Old 12-16-2013, 05:50 PM
Super Moderator

Steve-O

Werewolf Girl and natty6 like this.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#49 Old 12-17-2013, 05:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Oh....Wow.... That video is just shocking. Might want to put up a warning with that, just to let people know.

Still, I think it's a very effective video. He seems like such a nice guy.

#50 Old 12-17-2013, 07:19 AM
Don't Eat Animals.

silva -

Thanks for posting the video.

The shocking reality of what actually happens to innocent animals needs to be repeatedly shown to the general public.  Most people are so apathetic about the situation, and might not fully understand how bad the situation really is.  I'm not sure what to say about those who can eat meat after watching that video.  Maybe they missed the day of school when the topic was compassion.  :huh: 

If I ever became President / King / or Supreme World Leader, I would pass a law forbidding meat consumption on my first day in office:deal:

Werewolf Girl and mlee like this.

#51 Old 12-17-2013, 04:35 PM
Super Moderator

Ya know I forgot just how graphic that was! I remember how much of an impact it had when I first saw it, and how much respect i gained from that guy.

#52 Old 12-17-2013, 04:51 PM
Super Moderator

Kind of surprising she doesn't up --she does so much to promote AR and veganism.

I often check her show just to see if she's covering animal stories.

I do hate all the court cases she features. Too bad it can't just be animal related.
She's featured in a particularly good MFA magazine. 

sddefault.jpg

#53 Old 12-17-2013, 05:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Steve - O I thank you on my behalf and also on behalf of those who who sadly cannot :'( ! The animals <3 you and so do I !
#54 Old 12-17-2013, 07:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

silva -

Thanks for posting the video.

The shocking reality of what actually happens to innocent animals needs to be repeatedly shown to the general public.  Most people are so apathetic about the situation, and might not fully understand how bad the situation really is.  I'm not sure what to say about those who can eat meat after watching that video.  Maybe they missed the day of school when the topic was compassion.  :huh: 

If I ever became President / King / or Supreme World Leader, I would pass a law forbidding meat consumption on my first day in office:deal:

I meant more that it was shocking for me to watch and I wish I'd had a little warning.

With that said, I think it could be incredibly effective for those who eat meat and haven't seen things like that before. There wasn't really a 'lead up' to it, it just started happening.

Though, my response whenever I see those videos is "Oh, but does that happen HERE" (as in, in Australia). I'm, at the moment, tossing up as to whether I share the Steve-O video on my Facebook. I'll have to go and see whether the majority of the stuff they show in there, is stuff we do here. I think once you can show someone that something like that is happening in their name (and I LOVE that they use that in the video) then they start to care about it, they feel emotionally connected to it. Or, there's more chance of that.

#55 Old 12-18-2013, 08:12 AM
Don't Eat Animals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Lilly View Post

I meant more that it was shocking for me to watch and I wish I'd had a little warning.

With that said, I think it could be incredibly effective for those who eat meat and haven't seen things like that before. There wasn't really a 'lead up' to it, it just started happening.

Though, my response whenever I see those videos is "Oh, but does that happen HERE" (as in, in Australia). I'm, at the moment, tossing up as to whether I share the Steve-O video on my Facebook. I'll have to go and see whether the majority of the stuff they show in there, is stuff we do here. I think once you can show someone that something like that is happening in their name (and I LOVE that they use that in the video) then they start to care about it, they feel emotionally connected to it. Or, there's more chance of that.

Sharing videos like this one can be a bit alarming, but also very informative.  :idea:

Sure, it can be hard to watch, but it shows where "meat" comes from.  Most people don't equate their huge burger with an animal.  They mindlessly order a "Happy Meal", etc. at their favorite fast food place, and wolf it down without any thought about what's actually in it.  They can buy nice, little pre-made burger patties in the store......pre-packaged and giving off a great redish glow. The thought that those cute little burger patties are actually ground up animals never enters their mind.

Then there's the "cage free" chickens, etc.  It sounds great, but the chickens are still pumped with antibiotics and brutally slaughtered.....just like the ones in the cramped cages.  The chicken strips on your buffalo chicken wrap are still the meat of a dead animal.

One of the reasons my wife went veg*n was because of the FORKS OVER KNIVES video, (and a few others).  Once people find out where meat really comes from, they can make the decision whether or not they want to continue eating it.  Of course, the meat industry is forcefully opposed to such videos, and has even persuaded Congress to introduce legislation banning undercover videos like this one.  They want the disconnect between the source of meat and the actual meat to continue.......so they can continue to profit off the mass slaughter of animals.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page