Porcini Mushrooms - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-21-2013, 01:58 PM
Joe
Veggie Regular

I was watching a cooking show on TV (I think it might have been America's Test Kitchen).
There was a segment on how to make vegetarian dishes that "taste meaty." The host mentioned two ways to do this. The first was to use/add glutamates, like soy sauce. I did not catch name of the second method, except he mentioned that one of the foods in this category was porcini mushrooms.

Does anyone know what chemical gives porcini mushrooms their "meaty" taste? Or what other foods might fit in this category?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-23-2013, 08:04 AM
Siv
Veggie Regular

I did some digging and found this article - it says that mushrooms contain glutamate as well. Perhaps that's what you missed - the first way is to add glutamate and the second is to find food that has naturally occurring glutamate.

Personally, there are a couple of things that remind me of meat:

- char/burned/smoke flavour (even adding liquid smoke to tofu makes it quite meaty tasting to me)

- musty/earthy flavour (I'm not sure where this comes from but it's almost like eating dirt)

#3 Old 09-26-2013, 12:07 PM

...now I'm hungry for porcine mushrooms..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-26-2013, 09:59 PM
Super Moderator

I'm not sure about the exact chemical that gives mushrooms their meaty flavour but I do know that flavour is called umami and there are a number of ways you can add that flavour to veg*n dishes.

Here are a couple articles you might find interesting:

http://www.theveganrd.com/2012/04/is-umami-a-secret-ingredient-of-vegan-activism.html

http://ecosalon.com/12-umami-boosting-secrets-to-making-vegan-and-vegetarian-fare-tasty/

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#5 Old 09-27-2013, 03:15 PM
Joe
Veggie Regular

These are both great articles. Thank you, WG!

I've attended a number of vegetarian cooking classes, and just never heard umami discussed at all.
This is all new to me!
#6 Old 09-27-2013, 03:21 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post

These are both great articles. Thank you, WG!

I've attended a number of vegetarian cooking classes, and just never heard umami discussed at all.
This is all new to me!

No problem! The info is fairly new to me, I first heard about umami maybe about a year ago? Whenever that first article was posted anyway.

I always knew I loved mushrooms and soy sauce in my stir fry and it's interesting to see there's a reason for that and also that there are a bunch of other delicious foods/condiments you can use for that umami flavour. It IS like a secret weapon for veg*n cooking! grin.gif

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page