9 Reasons Your Canine Teeth Don’t Make You a Meat-Eater - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-17-2013, 07:49 PM
Super Moderator

http://freefromharm.org/photo-galleries/9-reasons-your-canine-teeth-dont-make-you-a-meat-eater/#sthash.hC8zw50p.AFCegdQ6.dpuf

I thought this was an amusing way to respond to people who like to point at their canines and use them to say being vegetarian is unnatural. There are lots of crazy examples of animal canines in nature that have nothing to do with eating meat. smiley.gif

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-17-2013, 08:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

http://freefromharm.org/photo-galleries/9-reasons-your-canine-teeth-dont-make-you-a-meat-eater/#sthash.hC8zw50p.AFCegdQ6.dpuf

I thought this was an amusing way to respond to people who like to point at their canines and use them to say being vegetarian is unnatural. There are lots of crazy examples of animal canines in nature that have nothing to do with eating meat. smiley.gif

Thanks for the fascinating read, WG.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#3 Old 09-18-2013, 04:22 AM
Beginner

I grew up learning karate. But I did not learn it so I could go and kill animals and eat them. It was more for self-defense. So maybe animals have them for self-defense. Here is a true story. Two boxers were fighting and one of them head butted the other. Now this is illegal but he was just given a warning.

Now the other fighter knew that he may lose the fight because the other fighter head butted him. So he bit off a piece of his ear. He was given a warning but felt he may still lose because the other fighter head butted him. So he bit him in the other ear and he was thrown out of boxing.

He was a champion for years and he had beaten some opponents in less than 2 minutes. Well now Iron Mike Tyson is a vegan! You can see this if you want.

Here is an article on LinkedIn, the 10th biggest website in the country. It has on it the CDC, Harvard School of Public Health and American Heart Association saying to eat more fruits and vegetables. It is called

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-18-2013, 05:17 AM
Impeach the gangster

I think calling ours canines is a misnomer, because they're not at all like a dog or wolf's fangs, which are long and pointed, and function to puncture and grasp. Our so called "canines" are flat, shaped more like a knife, and work to slice, to chop and even to pry open things, like nuts. They're perfect for raw carrots. Maybe they should be called machetes.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
#5 Old 09-18-2013, 12:08 PM
Riot Nrrrd

I used to work as an interpretive naturalist  - I gave tours in a natural history museum. As part of my job interview I was handed the jawbone of a cow and asked to teach something with it. I went right into an explanation of how you could tell cows were herbivores because of the flat teeth used for grinding. The interviewer (who needed to see if I could handle being questioned) pointed to the sharp edges on some of the teeth and asked "what about these"?

My answer was something about tearing off bits of grass to chew. I don't remember. Got me the job though.

The moral of the story: the structure of the teeth can help us understand how a critter eats, but it's not a perfect indicator. Like Paul Harvey says, you need the rest of the story.

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page