veg for 5 year-caught a lot of colds this past year - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-13-2013, 01:55 AM

Hey everyone, I'm trying to get some advice.  I was a vegetarian for 5 years and last year i moved from sunny FL to a cold weather country.  So my diet changed quite a bit as I tried new things, didn't have access to my regular fresh markets etc.  But I got sick 5 times within months, it seems I caught every cold there was.  

After the last time I ended up starting to eat meat as I was worried I was depriving myself of something and have been slowly transitioning back to vegetarian again, trying to eat a lot of quinoa this time and now I've learned of where i can get fresh veggies so i feel more prepared now that we're at our new location.  But I just got sick again, I don't want to keep getting sick this winter but I also want to go back to being a vegetarian.

Any advice is welcome.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-13-2013, 02:40 AM

Have you checked out this other thread on VB? https://www.veggieboards.com/t/55800/best-ever-cold-cure-ginger-cayenne-tea#post_3249967

Check out my blog,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, a reflection of anime, veganism and animal rights!
Latest post: Serial Experiments Lain and the Upper Layer of Reality
#3 Old 09-13-2013, 04:32 PM
Super Moderator

Any move is stressful, I would be totally stressed changing climates! 

The allergens would also be different.

I know you don't catch a cold from cold, but there is something about the change that seems to weaken immunity. I would guess more so if you're new to it.

Another thing is being more indoors with others that have colds. In Fl. are colds common?

My faves for cold season are:

neti pot in the morning

miso soup

Yogi (brand) cold formula teas

ginger, garlic, spicy foods

1 T. apple cider vinegar in water or tea with lunch

tissues

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-14-2013, 08:11 AM
Veggie Regular

I've been vegetarian or vegan almost my whole life. Some years I get sick more often than other years.

Factors that make me sick:

1 - The leading cause is kids. The more kids I'm around the more likely I am to get sick. Kids catch everything and spread everything like crazy. Kids WILL make you sick.

2 - Stress. The more stressed out you are the weaker your immune system is. Stress also tends to make me eat more poorly (overeat junkfood).

#5 Old 09-14-2013, 09:43 AM
Banned

It could just be that you're being exposed to new viruses, but it could be a nutritional issue as well. Though the overall quality of your diet is important, low intakes/production of zinc and vitamin D in particular could result in poor immune function. Fresh produce is usually not a major source of zinc for vegetarians, instead legumes,whole grains, nuts, milk and eggs. But a move from Florida to a northern location could have a huge impact on your vitamin D production. In northern regions, due to the location of the sun, you produce virtually no vitamin D in the winter where as in Florida you'd produce it all year when your skin was exposed to the sun. You can solve this by taking a vitamin D supplement (400IU should do) in the winter months.

Last year I got sick more than often as well, I got both the flu and noro-virus which I haven't had in many years, but most people around me got them as well. Last year was just an active year for viruses I think.
#6 Old 09-14-2013, 07:13 PM
Beginner

It sounds like a vitamin D deficiency. Wikipedia says that there is a vitamin D deficiency pandemic (widespread epidemic). Have you heard of cancer? Moores Cancer Center says that cancer comes from a deficiency of vitamin D. Have you heard of toxins causing cancer, autism and sickness?

Vitamin D is actually a neurosteroid hormone. It helps the body to get rid of toxins. At the end of 2010 (November) the RDA of vitamin D was tripled. The closer to the equator that you are, the more vitamin D that you get from the sun. All primates, EXCEPT for humans, live in tropical or semi-tropical areas. The only semi-tropical area in the U.S. is Hawaii.

California’s Premier Endocrinologist, Joe Prendergast M.D. says that ENOUGH vitamin D increases your immune system by 3 to 5 times. In the last 5 years 7 MDs have written 7 books on vitamin D. Andrew Weil M.D. says:

Quote:

Increasing the amount of vitamin D in the body can prevent or help treat a remarkable number of ailments, from obesity to arthritis, from high blood pressure to back pain, from diabetes to muscle cramps, from upper respiratory tract infections to infectious disease, and from fibromyalgia to cancers of the breast, colon, pancreas, prostate and ovaries.

Please note that colds and the flu are upper respiratory tract infections. Please note that taking 400 IU of vitamin D is not enough to help with the above. It only helps if you are having bone problems due to lack of vitamin D. I live in Southern Arizona. If I go out in the sun for a half hour at noon in the summer, I get 25,000 IU of vitamin D. Don't be scared by the numbers.

400,000 IU of vitamin D is the same as 1 milligram (mg) of vitamin D! To help with the above you need "LIFEGUARD LEVELS" of vitamin D. For a million years all humans lived in Africa where they were near the equator.

As you go further from the equator rates of autism and type 1 diabetes increase dramatically. So people are suffering from a lack of the sun of God or God's sun. Sunday is the day to celebrated the sun hence its name. See How to Avoid Colds and Flu. Also according to PubMed, Scientific American and Psychology Today, autism is caused from too little vitamin D in the pregnant mother and/or baby. See Autism and Type 1 Diabetes are Preventable!

The problem with sunlight is that it is free so it is not going to make any money for anyone.

Here is an article on LinkedIn, the 10th biggest website in the country. It has on it the CDC, Harvard School of Public Health and American Heart Association saying to eat more fruits and vegetables. It is called

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#7 Old 09-14-2013, 07:21 PM
Beginner

Please note that I never get a cold or flu!

Here is an article on LinkedIn, the 10th biggest website in the country. It has on it the CDC, Harvard School of Public Health and American Heart Association saying to eat more fruits and vegetables. It is called

#8 Old 09-14-2013, 08:35 PM
Veggie Regular

You are probably more likely to get colds in a place with cold weather, as people spend more time indoors and in closer contact with each other, so viruses can spread more easily. In warm places, the peak cold season is usually the rainy season for the same reason.

I wouldn't attribute it to diet unless there has been a big change there, although it's always a good idea to reevaluate the nutritional adequacy of your diet periodically. If you are concerned about vitamin D deficiency or another medical problem, consult a health care provider (rather than strangers on the Internet). Otherwise I would consider your hand washing practices, as well as how well you are taking care of yourself as far as getting enough sleep, regular exercise, and managing stress. An influenza vaccine is recommended for most healthy people annually, but of course only protects against influenza which tends to have respiratory symptoms similar to a garden variety cold virus as well as high fevers, muscle aches, and malaise.

Sometimes when people close to you have a cold, you just can't avoid catching it. It may have nothing to do with your immune system or overall health, but rather simply what you've been exposed to.
#9 Old 09-14-2013, 09:48 PM
Beginner

If you believe that coming in contact with a virus means that you will get it, then the above is true. They also say that you should wash your hands frequently. So washing your hands every 10 minutes is better than washing your hands every 20 minutes. But some people never get colds and flu. A friend of mine, Pete, never gets colds and flus, either.

Also above I mention Prendergast. Not only is he an M.D. but he is California's premier endocrinologist. Here is a basic lesson. Is modern medicine a humanitarian group or is it a business to make money? It is the latter. Healthy people are bad for the doctor's financial health. Sick people are good for the doctor's financial health.

What does an endocrinologist have to do with vitamins? Endocrinologists study glands that produce hormones. By definition the body cannot produce vitamins. But the body can produce vitamin D. Vitamin D is a neurosteroid hormone and so that is part of the field on an endocrinologist.

The scientist that changed our lives the most is Benjamin Franklin. He discovered electricity that is needed to run a computer. You cannot have a steam powered computer. Ben Franklin said the following:

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

God heals, and the doctor takes the fees.

An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest.

#10 Old 09-14-2013, 10:20 PM
Veggie Regular

I rarely catch colds. I have sinus and allergy issues, but those are due to external irritants. I haven't caught a cold in forever and not while I've been eating a more plant-based diet either. To be fair though, I was a school teacher for six years and have worked with kids for the past 10, so I rarely catch anything at all. My first few years of working with kids I got sick often (and I wasn't eating plant-based much then), but as the years went on, I rarely got colds. I would check with the doctor to see if you're experiencing any deficiencies, but in the meanwhile, eat more fruits and veg and look into those vitamin issues, esp. Vit D and Zinc (as logic suggested). 

Aristede:book:

"Now listen, I know you've got to think about your image, 'cause image is important to you, because of course your friends are gonna dictate your actions through the rest of your lives, and I wouldn't want you to step away from them and become an individual, that would almost be too much!"...

#11 Old 09-14-2013, 11:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo77 View Post

Please note that colds and the flu are upper respiratory tract infections. Please note that taking 400 IU of vitamin D is not enough to help with the above. It only helps if you are having bone problems due to lack of vitamin D. I live in Southern Arizona. If I go out in the sun for a half hour at noon in the summer, I get 25,000 IU of vitamin D. 400,000 IU of vitamin D is the same as 1 milligram (mg) of vitamin D! To help with the above you need "LIFEGUARD LEVELS" of vitamin D. For a million years all humans lived in Africa where they were near the equator.
Ones primary source of vitamin D should be from the sun, not pills. 400 IU of vitamin D is enough to help people deal with lower vitamin D synthesis in the winter months. Also, not only are "lifeguard levels" of vitamin D not needed but vitamin D is toxic when over consumed. The maximal recommended intake for vitamin D is 4,000 UI.

Humans haven't existed for millions of years and light skin is an adaptation that allows one to derive more vitamin D from less sunlight.
#12 Old 09-15-2013, 07:58 AM
Beginner

If you get vitamin D from sunlight, you do not need to worry about numbers of IUs and mistakes. You cannot get too much vitamin D from sunlight. Too much vitamin D from supplements is more rare than getting hit by lightning or dying from consuming aspirin. As far as mistakes, one guy was taking some vitamin D and by mistake each pill had 1 million IU of vitamin D in it. He got too much but was better after not taking it for awhile.

In one place they were putting huge amounts of vitamin D in the milk by mistake and one elderly lady died from this mistake. But people do not go around saying that drinking milk can kill you. So how many people in the United States die from consuming aspirin (not Tylenol)? About 1,000 a year. So taking aspirin can kill you. Many children have died from consuming iron supplements. Also many people have choked to death on a piece of meat. Many people dry their hair with hair dryers. In the U.S. about 10 people a year die from hair dryers. So they are much more dangerous than too much vitamin D.

#13 Old 09-15-2013, 08:17 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:

It sounds like a vitamin D deficiency. Wikipedia says that there is a vitamin D deficiency pandemic (widespread epidemic). Have you heard of cancer? Moores Cancer Center says that cancer comes from a deficiency of vitamin D. Have you heard of toxins causing cancer, autism and sickness?

Vitamin D is actually a neurosteroid hormone. It helps the body to get rid of toxins. At the end of 2010 (November) the RDA of vitamin D was tripled. The closer to the equator that you are, the more vitamin D that you get from the sun. All primates, EXCEPT for humans, live in tropical or semi-tropical areas. The only semi-tropical area in the U.S. is Hawaii.

California’s Premier Endocrinologist, Joe Prendergast M.D. says that ENOUGH vitamin D increases your immune system by 3 to 5 times. In the last 5 years 7 MDs have written 7 books on vitamin D. Andrew Weil M.D. says:

Quote:

Increasing the amount of vitamin D in the body can prevent or help treat a remarkable number of ailments, from obesity to arthritis, from high blood pressure to back pain, from diabetes to muscle cramps, from upper respiratory tract infections to infectious disease, and from fibromyalgia to cancers of the breast, colon, pancreas, prostate and ovaries.

Please note that colds and the flu are upper respiratory tract infections. Please note that taking 400 IU of vitamin D is not enough to help with the above. It only helps if you are having bone problems due to lack of vitamin D. I live in Southern Arizona. If I go out in the sun for a half hour at noon in the summer, I get 25,000 IU of vitamin D. Don't be scared by the numbers.

400,000 IU of vitamin D is the same as 1 milligram (mg) of vitamin D! To help with the above you need "LIFEGUARD LEVELS" of vitamin D. For a million years all humans lived in Africa where they were near the equator.

As you go further from the equator rates of autism and type 1 diabetes increase dramatically. So people are suffering from a lack of the sun of God or God's sun. Sunday is the day to celebrated the sun hence its name. See How to Avoid Colds and Flu. Also according to PubMed, Scientific American and Psychology Today, autism is caused from too little vitamin D in the pregnant mother and/or baby. See Autism and Type 1 Diabetes are Preventable!

The problem with sunlight is that it is free so it is not going to make any money for anyone.

Florida has a sub-tropical climate in the northern parts, and tropical in the southern. We get lots of vitamin D if we go outside, but still many people here are deficient.
#14 Old 09-15-2013, 09:14 AM
Banned

Quote:

If you get vitamin D from sunlight, you do not need to worry about numbers of IUs and mistakes. You cannot get too much vitamin D from sunlight. Too much vitamin D from supplements is more rare than getting hit by lightning or dying from consuming aspirin.
Right, your body can regulate vitamin D synthesis so you never "overdose" from sunlight....but many people in modern society don't get enough sunlight and that is particularly true for people in more northern locations. Getting too much vitamin D from supplements is rare because the government regulates the amounts you can put in supplements to try to prevent people from over-consuming it.

In any case, ultimately one should get their blood work done to check their vitamin D levels and work with their doctor to improve matters. My suggestion was something someone can do for a few dollars without any risk of over-exposure "just in case" this is the issue.
#15 Old 09-15-2013, 09:42 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Hi natgreen, I hope you stop the cycle of getting sick. Sometimes the immune system gets hit hard when you move to a place with new pathogens. Then you catch one virus after another with your immune system not able to restore itself in between.

Meat doesn't boost the immune system. Studies have shown that many fruits do, so maybe start having some fruit smoothies. An herb called echinacea, taken daily for 2 weeks, has been shown in some studies to boost the number white blood cells available for fighting infections. Vitamin C and zinc, also.

I'm a Floridian and am sorry you had to go to some cold ass place. wink3.gifgrin.gif

To cheer you up: http://www.buzzfeed.com/jessicamisener/21-true-struggles-of-floridians-who-move-out-of-state?s=mobile
#16 Old 09-15-2013, 01:50 PM
Don't Eat Animals.

I am not a doctor, or any type of medical professional......however I would say your "being sick" has nothing to do with eating meat. The pesticides, hormones, chemicals, etc. that are in meat far outweigh any virus that you catch. IOW, a passing viral infection is less harmful than what's in meat. Maybe a visit to your MD might address your situation.

All animals should be respected & should have the ability to lead a natural & enjoyable life. This means not eating them, or abusing them in any way.
#17 Old 09-15-2013, 06:19 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post

Florida has a sub-tropical climate in the northern parts, and tropical in the southern. We get lots of vitamin D if we go outside, but still many people here are deficient.

You should check what you say before contradicting someone. I could go into the latitudes to show that you are wrong but here is a map of the whole world showing the subtropics that includes the tropics. You can see the bottom of Florida is hundreds of miles from where the subtropics begin-- between the Tropic of Cancer and Tropic of Capricorn. Click on here to see the world map showing the subtropics.

#18 Old 09-15-2013, 06:40 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by logic View Post

Ones primary source of vitamin D should be from the sun, not pills. 400 IU of vitamin D is enough to help people deal with lower vitamin D synthesis in the winter months. Also, not only are "lifeguard levels" of vitamin D not needed but vitamin D is toxic when over consumed. The maximal recommended intake for vitamin D is 4,000 UI.

Humans haven't existed for millions of years and light skin is an adaptation that allows one to derive more vitamin D from less sunlight.

Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human says that humans have existed for 5 million years and that homo-sapiens originated in Africa over 200,000 years ago. Less than 125,000 years ago they spread to Eurasia. They reached Australia 40,000 years ago and the Americas 15,000 years ago. That is according to Wikipedia.

#19 Old 09-15-2013, 08:29 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm not seeing it mentioned in the comments, so I'm going to throw this out as a possibility- Is it possible that you're suffering from hay fever, rather than a cold?

Change of location, temperature and even stress can bring on my hay fever, which can manifest with the same symptoms of cold and flu. (For instance, I have a sinus head ache, I'm physically wrecked and suffer from asthma attacks because of it).

The only real remedy is the right medications, good food and exercise. The exercise is meant to help your body combat it's overreaction of histamines, there's something about the adrenalin that helps your body process them better. It's also the hardest part of it because after you've had hay fever for a while, you're physically exhausted. But, if you can manage it, it makes things a LOT easier to deal with.

I mean, you might actually be suffering from colds. But it might be worth trying a nasal spray (be careful with them, they can cause rebound congestion which is SO not something you want to deal with) or even some over the counter hay fever medications.

Another thing that has been known to help, though it's never done great things for me, is to eat honey from the area you're living in. It's meant to help your body get used to the pollen. It seems plausible....But I'd rather go with things like teas and exercise.

I hope you're feeling better soon!

If it is a cold-

Sweet Potato Soup- Tiger Lilly Style!
Big sweet potato, two normal potatoes, an onion, as much garlic as you can stand (roasting them first in the oven gives them a lovely taste), a cube of veggie stock and some pepper and cumin to taste. That's how I make sweet potato soup, solves all your ills.

#20 Old 09-16-2013, 06:19 PM
Banned

Quote:

Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human says that humans have existed for 5 million years and that homo-sapiens originated in Africa over 200,000 years ago.
No it doesn't, human = Homo Sapiens. Humans have only been around for the last 200,000~250,000 years.

In any case, the variety you seen in human skin color is an adaptation related to vitamin D. Someone with "white" skin can synthesis 4~5 times more vitamin D with the same amount of sunlight as someone who is "black".

The last post is a good point, allergies can feel like a cold and moving to a new region could trigger allergic symptoms you didn't have in your original region.
#21 Old 09-17-2013, 01:52 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by logic View Post

No it doesn't, human = Homo Sapiens. Humans have only been around for the last 200,000~250,000 years.

In any case, the variety you seen in human skin color is an adaptation related to vitamin D. Someone with "white" skin can synthesis 4~5 times more vitamin D with the same amount of sunlight as someone who is "black".

The last post is a good point, allergies can feel like a cold and moving to a new region could trigger allergic symptoms you didn't have in your original region.

I re-read it and you are right. Humans are homo sapiens and homo sapiens sapiens. Yes I know about the skin color and that blacks in America have more health problems and a shorter lifespan. Although the body can only lighten up so much. People who live at the latitude of Montreal, Canada cannot get any vitamin D for 5 months of the year. But then of course it comes down to how much people are indoors and outdoors.

As far as getting vitamin D from sunlight, they need to get UVB light and that means that the time has to be close enough to noon. Whereas people can get plenty of UVA light all through out the day. They researched why sunlight would help cardiovascular health more than could be accounted for by just vitamin D. They learned that UVA light causes the body to create more nitric oxide.

Quote:

Nobel Prize-winning pharmacologist Louis Ignarro visited the USC Davis School of Gerontology on Feb. 12 to discuss the health benefits of nitric oxide, which has been hailed as the “miracle molecule” because of its extraordinary importance in the health of virtually every cell in the body.

“In the heart, nitric oxide is the body’s way of protecting against cardiovascular disease,” Ignarro said. “The arteries make nitric oxide to lower blood pressure and improve blood flow to organs because it is a vaso-dialator, which means it widens or relaxes the arteries so that more blood can flow through, therefore lowering the pressure within the arterial system.”

When nitric oxide becomes deficient, Ignarro said, barriers break down and protection is lost, making people more susceptible to high blood pressure, arteriosclerosis and heart disease.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page