Michael Greger M.D.'s Latest Video Seen by Over One Million People - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 Old 08-20-2013, 01:32 PM
Beginner
 
neo77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 105

Dr. Greger's latest video on why people should adopt a plant based diet has been seen by over one million people. Most effective treatment for MS ever is for people to avoid saturated fat as from meat. Mushrooms are like magic for the immune system.

 

An hour of facts like these on More Than an Apple a Day: Preventing Our Most Common Diseases video. Someone should tell Michael J Fox about preventing and treating Parkinson's disease with a plant-based diet.

 

According to the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) eggs cannot be called healthy, nutritious or safe.

Aristede and ElaineV like this.

Here is an article on LinkedIn, the 10th biggest website in the country. It has on it the CDC, Harvard School of Public Health and American Heart Association saying to eat more fruits and vegetables. It is called

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.
neo77 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 08-22-2013, 10:42 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Aristede's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Beijing, China
Posts: 3,897

Physicians like Dr. Greger, Dr. John McDougall, Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn, Dr. Neal Barnard, and Dr. Dean Ornish have long touted the benefits of a plant-based diet for the treatment of chronic and debilitating diseases. I've recently suggested a plant-based diet to one of my acquaintances who suffers from fibromyalgia, but she hasn't expressed any interest in the idea. If only people knew about the benefits of changing their diet to include mostly plant-based foods. I have managed to influence the diet of my family members, some of whom suffer from diabetes and arthritis, so that's been very positive. 

 

Dr. John McDougall speaks to the consequences of neglecting proven lifestyle interventions in several of his video presentations and in his books. It is wonderful that the Greger video has seen so many views. I wonder how many viewers have implemented his suggestions? 

 

Aristedebook2.gif


"Now listen, I know you've got to think about your image, 'cause image is important to you, because of course your friends are gonna dictate your actions through the rest of your lives, and I wouldn't want you to step away from them and become an individual, that would almost be too much!"...

Aristede is offline  
#3 Old 08-30-2013, 08:06 AM
 
yingchen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Singapore
Posts: 647

Can anyone give me any primary sources on the USDA's claims that eggs are not healthy or safe? I've been typing away at google, but the only results I get are the USDA admitting that eggs are not as bad as they thought they were.

 

Also, I notice that the video was taken down, but was reuploaded 2 days ago. Here's the new link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-8ovk81nNM

 

It's really an amazing video. It comes off as a little one-sided, but definitely drives home the ridiculous idea that people are willing to pay thousands of dollars for medication when they could just change their diets.


Check out my blog,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, a reflection of anime, veganism and animal rights!
Latest post: Serial Experiments Lain and the Upper Layer of Reality
yingchen is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#4 Old 08-30-2013, 11:49 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Aristede's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Beijing, China
Posts: 3,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yingchen View Post
 

Can anyone give me any primary sources on the USDA's claims that eggs are not healthy or safe? I've been typing away at google, but the only results I get are the USDA admitting that eggs are not as bad as they thought they were.

 

I too have only found evidence that the USDA supports the inclusion of eggs as part of a healthy diet. Clearly, the lobbyists are at work to keep this misguided perception alive. However, to its credit, the USDA advocates the inclusion of eggs in a healthy diet (along with fruits, veggies, etc.) and exercise. Naturally eating fruits, veggies, and whole grains combined with exercise could potentially negate any ill effects from consuming eggs (and their high levels of cholesterol). 

 

Here are the two links that I found regarding egg consumption:

 

http://www.ars.usda.gov/News/docs.htm?docid=18963

 

http://www.choosemyplate.gov/food-groups/protein-foods-why.html

 

Aristede:book:


"Now listen, I know you've got to think about your image, 'cause image is important to you, because of course your friends are gonna dictate your actions through the rest of your lives, and I wouldn't want you to step away from them and become an individual, that would almost be too much!"...

Aristede is offline  
#5 Old 08-31-2013, 07:03 AM
 
yingchen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Singapore
Posts: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aristede View Post
 

 

I too have only found evidence that the USDA supports the inclusion of eggs as part of a healthy diet. Clearly, the lobbyists are at work to keep this misguided perception alive. However, to its credit, the USDA advocates the inclusion of eggs in a healthy diet (along with fruits, veggies, etc.) and exercise. Naturally eating fruits, veggies, and whole grains combined with exercise could potentially negate any ill effects from consuming eggs (and their high levels of cholesterol). 

 

Here are the two links that I found regarding egg consumption:

 

http://www.ars.usda.gov/News/docs.htm?docid=18963

 

http://www.choosemyplate.gov/food-groups/protein-foods-why.html

 

Aristede:book:

 

Shucks. Well, if it's not readily available, then I don't feel like I can go around touting that the USDA supports that eggs are not safe or healthy. Then again, it makes sense that you'd have to do A LOT of digging to find conversations like that. The lobbyists would never stand for such things on the first few pages of google :mad:


Check out my blog,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, a reflection of anime, veganism and animal rights!
Latest post: Serial Experiments Lain and the Upper Layer of Reality
yingchen is offline  
#6 Old 08-31-2013, 10:05 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Aristede's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Beijing, China
Posts: 3,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yingchen View Post
 

 

Shucks. Well, if it's not readily available, then I don't feel like I can go around touting that the USDA supports that eggs are not safe or healthy. Then again, it makes sense that you'd have to do A LOT of digging to find conversations like that. The lobbyists would never stand for such things on the first few pages of google :mad:

 

Yeah, I understand what you mean. I personally don't like touting factoids from government agencies unless they're explicitly stated on their websites or in printed literature. It's interesting how little (real) research has been done by the government, but it's not surprising considering the power of lobbyists and Big Business. 

 

Aristede :sick:


"Now listen, I know you've got to think about your image, 'cause image is important to you, because of course your friends are gonna dictate your actions through the rest of your lives, and I wouldn't want you to step away from them and become an individual, that would almost be too much!"...

Aristede is offline  
#7 Old 08-31-2013, 07:36 PM
Veggie Regular
 
ElaineV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 4,026
Here's the Nutrition Facts link to this video where you can comment with questions
http://nutritionfacts.org/video/more-than-an-apple-a-day-preventing-our-most-common-diseases/

Regarding eggs, here's another video about false advertising by the egg industry. You can see the sources cited below the video
http://nutritionfacts.org/video/eggs-and-cholesterol-patently-false-and-misleading-claims/
yingchen likes this.
ElaineV is offline  
#8 Old 08-31-2013, 09:38 PM
 
yingchen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Singapore
Posts: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElaineV View Post

Here's the Nutrition Facts link to this video where you can comment with questions
http://nutritionfacts.org/video/more-than-an-apple-a-day-preventing-our-most-common-diseases/

Regarding eggs, here's another video about false advertising by the egg industry. You can see the sources cited below the video
http://nutritionfacts.org/video/eggs-and-cholesterol-patently-false-and-misleading-claims/

 

Ah, this is good. I ought to check out the site more. Thanks so much!


Check out my blog,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, a reflection of anime, veganism and animal rights!
Latest post: Serial Experiments Lain and the Upper Layer of Reality
yingchen is offline  
#9 Old 09-01-2013, 03:04 AM
 
yingchen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Singapore
Posts: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aristede View Post
 

Physicians like Dr. Greger, Dr. John McDougall, Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn, Dr. Neal Barnard, and Dr. Dean Ornish have long touted the benefits of a plant-based diet for the treatment of chronic and debilitating diseases. I've recently suggested a plant-based diet to one of my acquaintances who suffers from fibromyalgia, but she hasn't expressed any interest in the idea. If only people knew about the benefits of changing their diet to include mostly plant-based foods. I have managed to influence the diet of my family members, some of whom suffer from diabetes and arthritis, so that's been very positive. 

 

Dr. John McDougall speaks to the consequences of neglecting proven lifestyle interventions in several of his video presentations and in his books. It is wonderful that the Greger video has seen so many views. I wonder how many viewers have implemented his suggestions? 

 

Aristedebook2.gif

 

Man, can't believe I put off watching this video for so long! This will be my go-to video for anyone who's worried about their health. Michael Greger's is more appealing to people like me who aren't suffering from any serious health problems, and can view this problem with some kind of detached amusement. John McDougall's feels far more worried and urgent though - that if you have a health problem and are still shelling out thousands of dollars with little improvements, instead of feeling stupid, you need to be angry and disappointed and demand a change NOW.

Aristede likes this.

Check out my blog,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, a reflection of anime, veganism and animal rights!
Latest post: Serial Experiments Lain and the Upper Layer of Reality
yingchen is offline  
#10 Old 09-01-2013, 04:26 PM
Siv
Veggie Regular
 
Siv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yingchen View Post
 

 

Shucks. Well, if it's not readily available, then I don't feel like I can go around touting that the USDA supports that eggs are not safe or healthy. Then again, it makes sense that you'd have to do A LOT of digging to find conversations like that. The lobbyists would never stand for such things on the first few pages of google :mad:

 

The USDA is a very bad place to take any information from. They are not exactly impartial...

Siv is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off