Even Carnivores Are Eating More Fake Meat - In a recent survey 36% of U.S. consumers said they buy meat substitutes - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-17-2013, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
From Bill Gates to Google's Sergei Brin, influential investors are putting their money where their mouth is. The pet cause of the tech world, it seems, is the need to find good-tasting substitutes to conventional animal products, like chicken-less eggs or in vitro beef, to avert environmental crisis from rising consumption.

According to new research, consumers — and not just vegetarians — are also warming up to products like tempeh, tofu and seitan that can stand in for meat.

In a survey released this week by the market research firm Mintel, 36 percent of U.S. consumers said they buy meat substitutes — even though only 7 percent identified themselves as vegetarian.

According to Mintel, sales of meat alternatives reached $553 million in 2012, up 8 percent from 2010.

"The bottom line is that vegetarians and vegans aren't the only people eating 'fake' meat — meat eaters are also exploring this newfound protein superpower," said Beth Bloom, food and drink analyst at Mintel, in a statement.

Most popular in the meat substitute aisle are burgers, either made from veggies, wheat or soy, followed by fake poultry products, like Tofurkey, according to the survey. Women were slightly more likely than men to buy the foods.

So why all the enthusiasm for meat substitutes? The most common response among the 2,000 people Mintel surveyed on the Web was that alternative meat products are healthy. After that, people said they chose fake meat because they were trying to reduce their meat consumption, and because they like the taste of the products. (As we reported last year, the selection has gotten better — 110 new meat substitute products came on the market in 2010 and 2011.)

Read the rest here: http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2013/08/14/212024490/even-carnivores-are-putting-more-fake-meat-on-their-plates

This is great news! I hope these numbers continue to grow. grin.gif
amira23 likes this.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-17-2013, 01:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah I've read that before. It's obvious if you know anything about vegans, they can't be your target market for any food product. Vegans (myself included) are just too small of a market, plus vegans are often more health conscious and so we buy veg meats infrequently on average.
#3 Old 08-18-2013, 01:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Fantastic.thumbsup.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-19-2013, 02:26 PM
Don't Eat Animals.

We had a relative visit for a few days last month.  BIG meat eater, lots of processed food, etc.  My daughter sat her down & told her about the veg*n lifestyle & how POP TARTS weren't real food....and not good for her kids.  I let her watch FORKS OVER KNIVES, and in a few days, she wanted to know about BOCA, etc. 

A call 2 weeks after her visit revealed that her family was almost off meat altogether.  Her husband worried about "enough protein", but he has more to worry about. Now the only "meat" they eat is fake, except for the husband.  Once you find out what's actually in the food you eat, the more you want to eat real food.

Werewolf Girl likes this.

All animals should be respected & should have the ability to lead a natural & enjoyable life. This means not eating them, or abusing them in any way.
#5 Old 08-19-2013, 02:53 PM
Siv
Veggie Regular

If they can make this stuff to have just as many calories and protein as regular meat, taste good and is cheaper, then it'll really start replacing meat wholesale.

People don't eat McDonalds because it's healthy, they eat it because it's cheap and tasty. If you could get a 99c hamburger and a 75c boca burger in McD's, they would sell more of the boca.

Hmm... business opportunity... 50c vegan burger joint?

#6 Old 08-20-2013, 05:23 AM
Veggie Regular

I've noticed a few changes in people over the last few months.  The Morningstar Farms grillers have been mentioned by omnis to me in passing.  A niece asked for my taco recipe using the recipe crumbles.  This article is just the beginning of a change in peoples' eating habits that will snowball over time.

#7 Old 08-20-2013, 05:36 AM

Yeah, that makes sense. I know a lot of people who have started using Quorn mince and burgers because of the lower fat/cholesterol.

#8 Old 08-21-2013, 11:41 AM
Veggie Regular

I've noticed a bigger change at the university I attend as well. Last year, the main cafeteria started having Meatless Mondays. The best part of that is... there weren't really any complaints. This cafeteria also now serves veggie burgers at the grill regularly and always has some sort of vegetarian option.
We also had a campus-wide vote to get rid of a greasy pizza place in the student union, which was replaced with a salad bar. Apparently this change was made mostly in part to respond to the complaint that there weren't enough vegetarian and/or healthy options in the union. :)
There are not enough vegetarians/vegans on campus to make such a change, but there are enough people who are interested in vegetarianism/veganism or who are more concerned about their health to get the ball rolling.

Aristede and Werewolf Girl like this.
#9 Old 08-21-2013, 08:36 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trippy View Post

I've noticed a bigger change at the university I attend as well. Last year, the main cafeteria started having Meatless Mondays. The best part of that is... there weren't really any complaints. This cafeteria also now serves veggie burgers at the grill regularly and always has some sort of vegetarian option.

We also had a campus-wide vote to get rid of a greasy pizza place in the student union, which was replaced with a salad bar. Apparently this change was made mostly in part to respond to the complaint that there weren't enough vegetarian and/or healthy options in the union. smiley.gif

There are not enough vegetarians/vegans on campus to make such a change, but there are enough people who are interested in vegetarianism/veganism or who are more concerned about their health to get the ball rolling.

That's awesome! It's great to see so much positive change happening in the world even if I wish it could happen faster sometimes. tongue3.gif

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#10 Old 08-22-2013, 11:44 AM
Veggie Regular

I've known quite a few omnis who eat the meat analog products occasionally to cut down on calories. This is why a lot of meat analogs aren't vegan, as they aren't really made for the veg community. 

slops, gloops, and gruels.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page