Don't know whether to stay vegetarian or not - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-01-2013, 01:54 PM

Okay, in my freshman year of college I went vegetarian, cold-turkey. It was something I'd wanted to do for a long time and I finally couldn't stand all the guilt I felt after eating meat. Now it's been a year and a half since I've eaten any meat. I've eaten relatively healthy foods I'd say, although I do have a tendency to be a "junk food vegetarian." But my actual meals are usually pretty healthy. But I have a very hard time staying full and I also have not stopped craving meat. I eat morningstar products all the time and I mean they're pretty dang good, but I'm still craving meat all the time. I'm also really bored with the things I'm eating. I try new recipes sometimes, but I'm a college student so I need quick and easy meals that I don't necessarily have to cook. Last year I had my own apartment so I could cook more, but this year I will be living on campus and I'll have a meal plan-that costs $1500-so I'm gonna have to eat in the cafeteria and stuff so I don't waste that money, and of course they have very limited vegetarian options. Eating at restaurants is also very hard because usually all I can get is a salad and one gets sick of salads eventually.

Besides the cravings, I'm also very frustrated and conflicted with myself every single day when I think about this. I'm frustrated with the same old food day in and day out, but then when I consider eating meat again I'm like 'no you can't do that you will be killing animals and you will be the biggest hypocrite' and i don't think i'd be able to live with the guilt. I mean if i was that guilty before i went vegetarian, i can't even imagine the guilt i'll feel once i've been vegetarian and start eating meat again. I just feel like I'll hate myself so much for it. 

It doesn't help that I don't know any other vegetarians or vegans, so no one else can relate to this except people online. I thought about "flexitarian" but then i just yell at myself because that's so freaking hypocritical. And then on top of all this I already feel hypocritical because I'm not vegan and I know that the dairy industry is horrible too. I want to stop putting all this pressure on myself to be perfect but I also don't want to contribute to the killing of animals. I just don't know what to do. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-01-2013, 02:20 PM
Zelda Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by kali717 View Post

Okay, in my freshman year of college I went vegetarian, cold-turkey. It was something I'd wanted to do for a long time and I finally couldn't stand all the guilt I felt after eating meat. Now it's been a year and a half since I've eaten any meat. I've eaten relatively healthy foods I'd say, although I do have a tendency to be a "junk food vegetarian." But my actual meals are usually pretty healthy. But I have a very hard time staying full and I also have not stopped craving meat. I eat morningstar products all the time and I mean they're pretty dang good, but I'm still craving meat all the time. I'm also really bored with the things I'm eating. I try new recipes sometimes, but I'm a college student so I need quick and easy meals that I don't necessarily have to cook. Last year I had my own apartment so I could cook more, but this year I will be living on campus and I'll have a meal plan-that costs $1500-so I'm gonna have to eat in the cafeteria and stuff so I don't waste that money, and of course they have very limited vegetarian options. Eating at restaurants is also very hard because usually all I can get is a salad and one gets sick of salads eventually.

Besides the cravings, I'm also very frustrated and conflicted with myself every single day when I think about this. I'm frustrated with the same old food day in and day out, but then when I consider eating meat again I'm like 'no you can't do that you will be killing animals and you will be the biggest hypocrite' and i don't think i'd be able to live with the guilt. I mean if i was that guilty before i went vegetarian, i can't even imagine the guilt i'll feel once i've been vegetarian and start eating meat again. I just feel like I'll hate myself so much for it. 

It doesn't help that I don't know any other vegetarians or vegans, so no one else can relate to this except people online. I thought about "flexitarian" but then i just yell at myself because that's so freaking hypocritical. And then on top of all this I already feel hypocritical because I'm not vegan and I know that the dairy industry is horrible too. I want to stop putting all this pressure on myself to be perfect but I also don't want to contribute to the killing of animals. I just don't know what to do. 

You sound like you have multiple stresses. I'm sorry. That's no fun at all. 

Craving meat: Try gardein products - MUCH more meat-like than Morningstar. Also read this

Eating at restaurants: EASY if you're vegetarian. Most places have veggie burgers, pasta, garlic toast, grilled cheese, and lots of Mexican and Chinese places offer tons of veggie choices. I had more issues eating out when I went vegan, but it's not that bad and when I was vegetarian it was crazy easy. If you want to eat veg or vegan while out, check out Happy Cow - it's amazing. 

No veg friends: This one is hard. I've been veg for 18+ years and almost all my friends and family are meat eaters. This is just something that you have to learn to live with OR branch out and see if your college has a veggie group. Many do. There are also veg meet-ups

Feeling bad for not being vegan: Don't stress about this. It's really awesome you're not eating meat. It can take time to also go vegan. Putting pressure on yourself to do something before you're ready is a good way to explode inside and then freak and then the stress might make you go back to meat which you will feel VERY bad about (trust me, I quit being veg once after some 16 years of being veg and it was horrid - I felt bad all the time). It's a bad cycle to get into. You should feel proud for quitting meat - few do. If you really want help going vegan, when you're ready, pop over to our transition area - folks there will help you out. 

College food: I've never lived on campus, but I know we have many members who have- hopefully someone will come along with some ideas for you. 

As for being bored with food, no one can help you with that unless you take some active steps to change your meals. When I was vegetarian I went through some really boring food times too. I had to push myself to try new things (I'm picky). I think I got in a rut. Going vegan actually helped in that respect because I was forced to pay much more attention to food. We have LOTS of recipes here you can try - some fast, some not. 

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 +

* Find me:
+
+
#3 Old 08-01-2013, 04:08 PM
Don't Eat Animals.

You have a lot of things going on, so take it easy on yourself.  sunny.gif

The change from eating at home to a meal plan is a big deal.  Take it slow.

Examine the real reasons you went vegetarian.  I did it later than I would have wanted to, due to lack of information, realization, etc.  Some people here were vegan since birth.....I WISH I could say that.  Anyway, look at all the crap that is put into meat. You deserve to be healthy.  Think about the animals & the environment.  You're young enough to have to live with these consequences for a long time.  Think about what YOU want, irregardless of peer pressure, meal plans, etc.  Maybe watch the FORKS OVER KNIVES or VEGUCATED videos for  reminder.

As far as filling up, a huge percentage of the world population lives on food as simple as beans & rice.  Yeah, it might get old, but it will satisfy your hunger.  Think oatmeal, soy products, & the many different cuisines available.

GOOD LUCK!!!!  grin.gif

All animals should be respected & should have the ability to lead a natural & enjoyable life. This means not eating them, or abusing them in any way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-01-2013, 04:18 PM
Tom
Veggie Regular

Lots of good ideas just above, but I second the idea of finding other local vegetarians- especially on campus. If a number of you get together, you'll probably have a better chance of improving the vegetarian options in your meal plan!

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#5 Old 08-01-2013, 04:22 PM
Siv
Veggie Regular

In college I lived on instant noodles, baked beans and the occasional sandwich from the local shop (who sold off their stock for 99p a go after 4pm). I know this is probably not much help but I seemed to pay more attention to all the other distractions (alcohol, girls, drgs, music, partying etc etc).

The only serious money saving advice I can give is to visit your grocery regularly - my local Kroger typically has "managers specials" on seitan, boca, morningstar farms, and other veggie products so I usually buy all that I can and stick them in the freezer - great money savings. Actually, daily visits to the grocery can be great for saving money - there is always something about to "go off" and on sale for little money and you never know what it's going to be - an excellent way to get variety!

Additionally, I think you need to find some like minded friends. I'm sure there are plenty in college who are vegetarian, probably more so than the general public. Two of my college buddies went veg the same time as I did - it sure was a lot of help having people to talk to about this - indeed we're still getting advice from each other about our lifestyle.

#6 Old 08-02-2013, 12:15 AM
Veggie Regular

I like the way Jennifer answered so I will answer similarly...

Craving meat: Come up with 2 or 3 plans for what you will do to stay veg when you're craving meat. Think it through in details what exactly you will do in order to deal with the craving. Then also remember that cravings feel really intense for a short while but they ALWAYS go away even if they're not satisfied. They might come back, but eventually they will come back less and less frequently until they stop coming.

Eating at restaurants: Another link to check out is http://www.vegguide.org/ and also http://www.peta.org/living/vegetarian-living/chain-restaurants.aspx plus you should also search yelp using the terms "vegetarian" or "vegan"

No veg friends: First off, you will meet other vegetarians and vegans. The longer you're veg the more you'll meet. But also, you probably won't meet very many until you start being really really open about it. A lot of veg-heads are inconspicuous and won't bring it up unless someone else does. And also, yes, check meetup.com as well as facebook.

Feeling bad for not being vegan: Don't worry about it. Whatever level of veg you want to be, just set your goals and work towards them. Making progress and doing self-improvement is the best you can do. Try not to think of things as black and white, good or bad. Just think of things as better or worse, moving forward or moving backward.

College food: Get yourself a copy of  PETA's Vegan College Cookbook. Ask about veg options at the cafeteria - you might be surprised what they have that you didn't notice before. Check out this article: http://www.vrg.org/blog/2011/07/29/vegan-at-college-101/

#7 Old 08-02-2013, 12:32 AM

Honest question. Isn't meat craving just a myth?

Mean no disrespect by it either. Portobello and flat cap mushrooms are a great substitute!
#8 Old 08-02-2013, 12:42 AM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy85 View Post

Mean no disrespect by it either. Portobello and flat cap mushrooms are a great substitute!

Call me crazy but I do get cravings when I open a can of chicken soup w/ rice for my mom for dinner. I like the smell of it, and I remember the flavor of it in my pregan days. I say I do kinda crave it.....Could just be all the sodium I don't know....but Amy's No chicken noodle soup will have to do.

"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy
#9 Old 08-02-2013, 02:14 AM
Banned

Quote:

As yet I haven't craved meat, in fact quite the opposite.  The longer I don't eat it the less appealing it becomes and I find the smell of meat being cooked really unpleasant now.  To be honest, I always had an issue with pork as (IMO) it has a distinctly faecal smell when cooking

spew.gif

No offence to the OP but is it really that hard to be vegetarian at college?  I would have thought there were quite a few egg and dairy based dishes you could eat.  I can understand it being difficult to follow a vegan diet (dairy in pretty much everything!) but you have so many more options as a vegetarian.  You say that you feel a hypocrite for eating eggs and dairy but you are considering eating meat again?!   That really doesn't make sense to me though I have no experience of living in college with a meal plan.

Ultimately it's your decision and as long as you are okay with your choices then it's not my place to judge.  Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Edited as sounded harsher than I meant - sorry.

#10 Old 08-02-2013, 03:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Although I am much older (forties) and living on my own and working as well as going to school (and just finished an internship to boot), I can understand the challenges of eating well and sticking to a certain plan when one is so busy.  I am very anal about menu planning and cooking though and hate eating out (I have eaten out three whole times so far this year) so although it can be time consuming I manage to fit in time to make healthy vegan meals and snacks for myself ahead so I can grab them when I need them.  But I understand your situation is a bit different so read on...

Do you have access to a small refrigerator or microwave in your dorm room?  I think that would really help you, instead of relying completely on what is in the cafeteria.  Also, you have the right to contact the director of dining hall services (or whatever you call them) and explain that you are vegetarian and work with them to find food that you can eat.  I understand that not all vegetarians consume eggs and dairy (and some cheeses etc are not even vegetarian because of rennet etc).  Maybe they could provide you with a menu of what they serve and the ingredients in it?  And you could use that to help you plan.  You are after all paying for their services.  I recently purchased a book titled "Vegan In Volume: Vegan Quantity Recipes for Every Occasion" by Nancy Berkoff, R.D.   I plan to give it to the director of nutrition services at the medical complex where I work because the vegan selections offered in the cafeterias there are sorely lacking and I feel the need to bring awareness to the fact that people have different nutritional needs and desires and the staff need to be aware of this.  The book is designed to work with institutional food services.  I rarely eat in the cafeterias anyway but my vegetarian mother (who is almost vegan) was in the hospital for a week a while back and they couldn't even provide her with enough food to sustain her that was vegan friendly.  She had a plain baked potato one night and plain mixed vegetables for instance because there was nothing else they could offer her, not even vegetarian soup without chicken broth.

I went vegan from omnivore overnight in February of 2011.  I was very hard core strict and didn't even consume processed vegan cheeses or "meats" or any of that.  Most times I even made my own plant milk from whole nuts.  I still tend to eat very healthy whole foods but have since made more allowances.  I didn't have any cravings at all my first two years.  But then I lost some weight due to a health issue I have battled with for years and suddenly found myself craving eggs and yogurt, really craving them.  It was disconcerting because I am an ethical vegan and very strict about my diet and way of living.  I don't even drive my car much anymore but bike everywhere.  At any rate I had to make some changes here and there.  I relaxed my grip and allowed myself to eat things like daiya cheese a few times, or Tofutti sour cream and cream cheese (which ultimately made me sick because I have an intolerance to tofu).  I try to make creamy smoothies or eat coconut milk based yogurt if I crave yogurt, and I make chickpea flour omelets if I crave eggs.  I even ordered and tried the "vegg" to make French toast and it was surprisingly similar to egg in taste and texture.  I think I wasn't eating enough either which is why I had the strange cravings, and also I was being too strict and had the mentality that I "can't" have this or that.  I really think that can't mentality versus choose not to mentality causes one to rebel and break rules made for oneself.  If you focus on what you can have and what you enjoy eating and doing as a vegetarian, the can't stuff will become less important.

I still don't crave meat at all but the egg and yogurt cravings do come and go.  Most dairy made me very ill when I was an omnivore so I didn't eat it much and still don't crave it except the yogurt.  I love cooking though and I have a huge collection of cookbooks and raw food books and so on and I have discovered such a variety of vegan food that it is hard to "miss' my old way of eating.  I think really educating yourself on eating vegetarian would be helpful.  Check out cookbooks at the library and pour through them and just read.  I used to do this in the bathtub.  I designated 45 minutes a day in the bathtub before bed as my free time to do things like this with my busy schedule.  On weekend mornings I might browse vegan/vegetarian blogs too and read them and learn there too.  You don't even have to cook to find good food to snack on.  Of course money is an issue when you are in school I understand.  I have more loans to pay off than I care to think about and my income doesn't stretch all that far either.  I hope you find a way to make it work for you on campus.  My guess is you are not the only vegetarian there and there must be groups you could meet up with. 

60225 likes this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

#11 Old 08-02-2013, 04:29 AM

I thought craving only came from items that release chemicals that make you addicted to it such as drugs.

My theory wouldn't really work what with pregnancy cravings and alcohol.

However, are cravings and just missing and enjoying the smell not different? Meat is not a substance you can get addicted to.

Like I say maybe I have blurred the lines between cravings and addictions!
#12 Old 08-02-2013, 04:39 AM

Also I can only speak from a UK aspect, over here there is vegetarian options in pretty much every single cafe, restaurant, pub or canteen I have ever been in since I was a kid. I notice this more now I am vegan.

Remember you can always ask meals to be modified.
#13 Old 08-02-2013, 08:02 AM
Veggie Regular

Staying full- I'd suggest getting things to snack on. Things like nuts and fruits are things you should be eating anyway (or sesame seed bars. Not sure if they're nutritious, but who cares because YUM!) Also, make sure you're drinking enough water.

Quick and Easy-
Easybite.

They're vegetarian (though I do believe some of them are vegan) and they're microwaveable. As long as you like Indian food, you'll be set. You don't need a fridge for them, but you will need a microwave. 

Cafetaria food: Inquire as to whether they can have MORE vegetarian options available.

The same goes for restaurants. In the last few years, apparently, the range for vegetarians has almost exploded here (in Sydney). That could only happen if more vegetarians asked for an option. So go on, ask them about it! The worst that can happen is them say no. But chances are, they'll see the opportunity to bring more people to their business.

Meeting other vegetarians- Well, if there's a vegetarian option at your campus, maybe there are other vegetarians or even vegans! There must be someone you can go to, to ask about whether there's a veg. group on campus. Or search on Facebook. I see a lot of Universities with social FB pages, so if you're brave enough, why not post up that you're a vegetarian and that you're looking to see if anyone wants to organise meet ups, picnics, maybe even cook ups once a month!

Feeling bad for not being vegan- We do what we can. While we can always do better, or do less harm, we have to be realistic about what our lives will allow for and how much pressure we can put on ourselves. Right now, your life seems pretty hectic, so cut yourself some slack. I still consume dairy, but my consumption is very low. There's a lot of alternatives for dairy products out there, try them out where you can. (Oh and avacado instead of cheese on things like tacos and burritoes, is AWESOME and nowhere near as heavy).  

I hope you don't find yourself back eating meat. It can be really difficult sometimes, but don't feel alone. You're not. 

60225 likes this.
#14 Old 08-02-2013, 08:49 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I thought craving only came from items that release chemicals that make you addicted to it such as drugs.

However, are cravings and just missing and enjoying the smell not different? Meat is not a substance you can get addicted to.

You can crave anything. The line between what is and isn't 'addiction' is also blurry. For some drugs there is an actual physical withdrawal due to the absence of some specific substance and for some things cravings are just psychological.

I think some people make the mistake of believing that craving something necessarily means that it's good for you or that your body needs it. But just think about how often people crave things like candy, fast food, cigarettes and so on.

#15 Old 08-02-2013, 10:07 AM
Banned

What kind of food are you craving?
What kind of foods are you currently eating on a daily basis?
#16 Old 08-02-2013, 10:26 AM
Veggie Regular

I see an opportunity here for you, kali717, to advocate for more veg*n options at your school. I was a teacher in a former life and would always tell the kids not to be afraid of asking a question because, odds are, someone else has the same question but doesn't feel comfortable asking it. I think the same rule applies here. Is it reasonable to believe that you're the only veg*n on campus? I wouldn't think so. So chances are good that others out there are feeling just as frustrated with the lack of reasonable options for those living in the dorms.

Someone above suggested meeting up with other veg*ns on campus. Rather than just using them for support, my feeling is that you come together to bring the lack of viable eating options on campus to the attention of the schools administration. If there is so little as I've gathered from your post, chances are good they're unaware of your situation. And as the number of veg*ns are slowly but surely rising, its going to have to be something that they will need to address in the near future anyway.

If you do, and I hope you will, I wish you all the best luck with it. Even if you don't succeed, you've at least planted a seed which will sprout when the time is right.
#17 Old 08-02-2013, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvourmother View Post

What kind of food are you craving?
What kind of foods are you currently eating on a daily basis?

first off i wanna thank everyone for your responses! I am actually starting at a new school this year-the one i went to for the last 2 years had very little veggie options, so i'm assuming this one is the same way. I will definitely try to talk to someone about getting more options. There is an animal rights club that I'm going to check out, however i'm not sure if they're still active. I've also used meetup.com to look up veg/vegan groups and have found a couple! Will definitely be checking those out. I also totally agree about the cookbooks-I'm sure those will be a great help!

I am craving fried chicken-that's the thing i'm most craving. Not really burgers or anything. But I just want different food and I don't want it to be meat, I mean I want these cravings to go away!

I typically don't eat breakfast because I don't wake up until it's lunch time anyway. For lunch a lot of times I'll get a sub from somewhere, or Chipotle, or I might make a pb&j or just a veggie sandwich with chips. For dinner I usually have all side items-any combination of rice, canned or fresh veggies, noodles, beans, etc, which is what i'm tired of having all the time. Sometimes I'll make a veggie burger (though i've gotten very sick of those too), or any of the morningstar 'meat' products with a vegetable on the side. Very rarely will I make tofu. I have a couple recipes that I love that I'll make occasionally but they're not something I want to make all the time. For snacks I usually eat a bunch of junk food or sometimes granola bars. I used to get so excited about food and now I need some way to spice it up a little or else I'm gonna go crazy.

#18 Old 08-02-2013, 02:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Maybe this would be a good topic of discussion, cravings and why they happen.  Years ago when I was still an omnivore I went through a very bad period of my eating disorder and was starving myself severely and very very underweight.  I actually had food hallucinations.  I could smell and taste foods that were nowhere around and that I hadn't eaten in years.  For example I could smell and taste my Grandma's strawberry shortcake she made when I was a child, or a particular type of pizza I used to eat all the time years ago; foods I had all but forgotten until the hallucination.  It was very strange.  When I stopped eating Greek yogurt upon going vegan, what I craved was more the creamy thick texture of the yogurt than the actual food itself.  I used to eat it every morning for breakfast as an omnivore.  It was habit.  Once I found something else thick and creamy to replace it the cravings went away and then eventually I didn't even need thick and creamy food anymore. 

Also, although I find meat (aka dead animal flesh) grotesque, my husband is an omnivore and on occasion eats meat in our house.  He has to cook it in his own designated cookware and stores it in a designated place far away from my food.  We have our own cupboards.  I will not touch the stuff with a ten foot pole.  But the times he cooked chicken, the smell of it caused me to slightly salivate.  It was purely a physical response as psychologically I knew where that chicken came from and what it went through and that alone would deter me from eating it, let alone all the hormones and carcinogens in it.  But the smell triggered some kind of hunger cues in my body.  I might just go look up the science behind cravings now lol.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

#19 Old 08-02-2013, 03:17 PM
Siv
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebound View Post

But the times he cooked chicken, the smell of it caused me to slightly salivate.  It was purely a physical response as psychologically I knew where that chicken came from and what it went through and that alone would deter me from eating it, let alone all the hormones and carcinogens in it.  But the smell triggered some kind of hunger cues in my body.  I might just go look up the science behind cravings now lol.

Perhaps it's entirely natural for us to eat meat and that this unconscious physical reaction is a manifestation of this. I think of this like an ant to sugar - they're not supposed to be going for sugar, it's artificial extracted after all, but they do because it's too good to pass up. Perhaps, as cave men, this reaction was to stimulate us to eat meat whenever it was available but the bulk of our diet was plant based.

So maybe the craving is a natural response, hankering for a high protein sustenance. The problem is that the current omni diet has far too much meat - beyond just satisfying cravings.

#20 Old 08-02-2013, 03:33 PM

Quote:

I think some great advice has already been given so I will merely add on:

Sure, having veg friends might help but don't let not having any deter you from following your conscience. Do what you know is right regardless of the norm, not because doing otherwise makes you feel guilty, but because its the right thing to do. I've found that most people understand veganism and will more than likely respect your beliefs and perhaps even support them if you are respectful of them. 

For college, I recommend getting a rice cooker that can be used as a steamer too. If you have a micro fridge you can cook enough for leftovers when you need something quick or you could just have cereal or vegan snacks on hand. You could also steam veggies and potatoes and steal fruit from the cafe and you could have instant oatmeal with cinnamon. I sometimes have frozen corn and an Italian seasoning that I mix into the rice. Most colleges will regularly serve fruit, veggies, pasta, rice, potatoes, and grains and will more than likely accommodate for you if they do not have any options, just ask them. 

“Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself.”
-Leo Tolstoy

#21 Old 08-02-2013, 04:38 PM
Veggie Regular

College food: two things you should try-
See if the cook at the cafeteria will make you a special meal. At my college cafeteria they made special meals for individuals who couldn't eat gluten and had a really good attitude about it. They didn't advertise it though so most people didn't know to ask.
Also, try getting a group of vegetarians together and asking your college to start a vegetarian station at the cafeteria. Colleges typically want to be at the front line of everything and yours may be very willing to try this out. My college cafeteria had one, they just made one vegetarian entree at this station for every lunch and dinner. Meat eaters would eat from the station often too because the entrees were so delicious. Just try it, your college may love the idea. Ours actually started of vegan and later gave up and became vegetarian.

As for what people have said about meat cravings not being real- I think a person can crave anything. I crave meat, but not in the sense of I want to eat it or even that I miss the taste or texture, I just really crave the sense of lasting fullness I had after eating meat. I don't get that now that I've given up eggs too.
#22 Old 08-02-2013, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post

Lots of good ideas just above, but I second the idea of finding other local vegetarians- especially on campus. If a number of you get together, you'll probably have a better chance of improving the vegetarian options in your meal plan!

I couldn't agree more, Tom.  I'd just like to go one step further and suggest that if you don't find a vegetarian student group...START ONE!  How awesome would that be?  

I'm not sure where you live (small town or bigger city), but you might want to see if there is a local vegetarian society.  The one we belong to is wonderful.  We meet once a month (potluck or at a veg*n friendly restaurant) and at each meeting there is a speaker and lots of good company and conversation.  

Kali, I see that you just joined yesterday, so here's a big veggie welcome to our "family"!!!  Hope to see you around often, and I hope that you find some relief from your worries by talking to other VB members.  Please try not to be hard on yourself...remember, vegetarianism isn't an all-or-nothing thing.  It is an ongoing process, and if you take a step back you can always step forward again.hug.gif 

#23 Old 08-03-2013, 01:22 PM

Thank you all for the suggestions, I appreciate the support! I actually noticed walmart got some Gardein stuff when I went there yesterday so I bought some of the 'chicken' strips.....i'm pretty sure i'm in heaven now, i'll just say that. It definitely worked for my chicken craving! I bought some beefless tips too, i'm hoping they're just as delicious! I will definitely be getting these while i'm at school to have some variety in my meals :)

#24 Old 08-03-2013, 06:56 PM
Poo Pie Head

Quote:

Thank you all for the suggestions, I appreciate the support! I actually noticed walmart got some Gardein stuff when I went there yesterday so I bought some of the 'chicken' strips.....i'm pretty sure i'm in heaven now, i'll just say that. It definitely worked for my chicken craving! I bought some beefless tips too, i'm hoping they're just as delicious! I will definitely be getting these while i'm at school to have some variety in my meals smiley.gif
If you think the chic strips are great, then you will be blown away by the tips! I use them as "meatballs" for spaghetti as well as a bunch of other stuff. If I had eaten those when I was omni, I would have prolly stopped eating meat just to eat those! Yum!

Also, good luck! There is always something out there to satiate your cravings.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page