Catching Up With Science: Burying the “Humans Need Meat” Argument - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-18-2013, 03:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
In the newly revised Australian Dietary Guidelines released this week, Australia’s top health experts now agree with leading health advisory boards in the U.S. and Canada that well-planned vegan diets are a safe, healthy and viable option for all age groups. Government health experts worldwide are finally catching up with the large body of scientific evidence demonstrating that a vegan diet is not only a viable option for people of any age, but that eating plant foods instead of animal-based foods can confer significant health benefits, including reduction in incidence of obesity, diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, heart attack, stroke, and some types of cancer.

In 2009, the American Academy of Nutrition & Dietetics, the U.S.’s oldest, largest and foremost authority on diet and nutrition, also recognized that humans have no inherent biological or nutritional need for animals products: “It is the position of the American Dietetic Association that appropriately planned vegetarian diets, including total vegetarian or vegan diets, are healthful, nutritionally adequate, and may provide health benefits in the prevention and treatment of certain diseases. Well-planned vegetarian diets are appropriate for individuals during all stages of the life cycle, including pregnancy, lactation, infancy, childhood, and adolescence, and for athletes.”

Read the rest: http://freefromharm.org/health-nutrition/catching-up-with-science-burying-the-humans-need-meat-argument/#sthash.MCayQvXG.DcMawpGR.dpuf

This is fantastic news, go Australia!

It amazes me that even today in 2013 I still get arguments from people saying that humans NEED meat and you can't possibly be healthy without animal flesh. What am I then, a ghost? A figment of my own imagination? laugh.gif

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-19-2013, 12:18 AM
Lifelong vegetarian

Rest In Peas.

My usual answer: I have never heard a convincing reason to eat meat.
#3 Old 07-19-2013, 12:17 PM
Poo Pie Head

Woots! Another voice in our direction from experts who are (finally) listening to science and evidence.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-19-2013, 03:25 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm tempted to post this in a certain forum I have been on in the past, in which the majority of people there say they were once vegans--ranging from less than a year to almost twenty years--and found that their health began to suffer and they needed to go back to eating meat. These people are SO insistent that they are living proof of the human "need" for meat. It bugs the heck outta me. 

But if I did post it, they wouldn't listen anyway, so...

#5 Old 07-20-2013, 05:42 AM
Siv
Veggie Regular

Quote:
“It is the position of the American Dietetic Association that appropriately planned vegetarian diets, including total vegetarian or vegan diets, are healthful, nutritionally adequate, and may provide health benefits in the prevention and treatment of certain diseases. Well-planned vegetarian diets are appropriate for individuals during all stages of the life cycle, including pregnancy, lactation, infancy, childhood, and adolescence, and for athletes.”

Two observations here:

- The planning! It reads to me that vegetarian or vegan diets require planning and one could infer than an omni diet does not? This does dovetail with the "it was convenient" on the headstone.

- Vegetarian diets are appropriate for all stages of life - why not vegan? Does this mean vegan diets are not appropriate? If they are lumping vegan with vegetarian why do they name them separately in the first sentence.

While I'm happy with the premise, the presentation could be better. The statement smacks of "cover my axe" - I wish they would come out with it in plain English without all the qualifiers.

#6 Old 07-20-2013, 12:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siv View Post

- The planning! It reads to me that vegetarian or vegan diets require planning and one could infer than an omni diet does not? This does dovetail with the "it was convenient" on the headstone.
Vegetarian and vegan diets do require planning, at least initially, where as the "planning" was done automatically via the culture in the case of omnivorous diets.

While planning is important for those converting to vegetarian or vegan as adults, kids that are raised veg*n will automatically pick it up.
#7 Old 07-20-2013, 01:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Two observations here:

Yeah, I could understand that. I kind of took it, that it was a statement in general focusing on vegetarian diets, not implying anything about omni diets. Although if it were, it's unfortunate, because I don't think the SAD is "healthful, nutritionally adequate, and may provide health benefits in the prevention and treatment of certain diseases."

I feel like they could just state that:
Quote:
appropriately planned vegetarian diets, including total vegetarian or vegan diets, are healthful, nutritionally adequate, and may provide health benefits in the prevention and treatment of certain diseases. Well-planned vegetarian diets are appropriate for individuals during all stages of the life cycle, including pregnancy, lactation, infancy, childhood, and adolescence, and for athletes.

It just seems like a well planned or appropriately planned diet of any kind is appropriate.
Quote:

- Vegetarian diets are appropriate for all stages of life - why not vegan? Does this mean vegan diets are not appropriate? If they are lumping vegan with vegetarian why do they name them separately in the first sentence.

I assumed that's why they specified:
Quote:
vegetarian diets, including total vegetarian or vegan diets
in the previous sentence. A vegan diet is still a vegetarian diet, they just didn't want to repeat that and already specified it in the first sentence.

At least that's my take on it.

I believe everything.
#8 Old 07-20-2013, 02:00 PM
Siv
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogardsram View Post

A vegan diet is still a vegetarian diet, they just didn't want to repeat that and already specified it in the first sentence.

At least that's my take on it.

You definitely clear up point 2 - I see it as not valid now that I have re-read it with your explanation.

#9 Old 07-20-2013, 02:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Two observations here:

- Vegetarian diets are appropriate for all stages of life - why not vegan? Does this mean vegan diets are not appropriate? 

Omnivorous diets do require adequate planning though, as is evinced in the millions of omnis who eat terribly and pay the consequences with their health. Society just doesn't focus as much on the need to plan out omnivorous diets because they are the norm and as such are not viewed as anything but inherently adequate and healthy.

It does say that vegan and total vegetarian diets are appropriate for all stages of life, it's just off-set by commas right after the part I bolded.

#10 Old 07-21-2013, 11:15 AM
Lifelong vegetarian

The health, environmental, ecological and economic problems that meat eaters are causing is collateral damage.

My usual answer: I have never heard a convincing reason to eat meat.
#11 Old 07-21-2013, 12:29 PM
Beginner

This is great! 

I've been so tired of people telling me I 'need' meat. I chose to be vegetarian for animal rights reasons but as soon as I cut out meat I have felt much healthier and more energetic. This definitely supports what I've seen with my own body! 

Werewolf Girl likes this.
#12 Old 07-21-2013, 01:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by erika20 View Post

This is great! 

I've been so tired of people telling me I 'need' meat. I chose to be vegetarian for animal rights reasons but as soon as I cut out meat I have felt much healthier and more energetic. This definitely supports what I've seen with my own body! 

Me too! I did it for the animals but feeling healthier is a great bonus. smiley.gif
erika20 likes this.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#13 Old 07-23-2013, 06:45 PM

This is great! I was just recently talking to someone, and explained that the trend in science and nutrition is in support of veggie diets, not the other way around. This just proves that point.

#14 Old 07-24-2013, 12:09 PM
Veggie Regular

I am enjoying reading about the posters feeling more healthy after becoming veg*n.  I stopped eating any kind of meat in 1990 and am now retired.  I, too, went vegetarian for the animals but now that I am old, the health benefits are very apparent.  I don't have any of the sicknesses that my friends and family are now putting up with, such as digestion problems, acid reflux, GERD, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and obesity.  My eyes show no sign of cataracts or glaucoma.  I did have to go through a bout of insecticide related cancer in 2004 but have recovered.  My point is that going veg*n is a good thing to do at any age, but the health benefits don't stop.

After 23 years of not eating meat, I am living proof that you don't need it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page