Keep falling off the wagon and eating fish, please help!!!!!!!!!! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-13-2013, 07:20 AM

Hi all
Really hoping for some advice on this.
I want to go vegetarian completely and once and for all, but I seem to get so far, like I can not eat fish or meet for a few months and then i seem to always revert back to eating fish. sometimes then I'll go off the rails all together and eat a bit of meet, but usually and for the most part it's always fish. Has anyone else struggled with this and how have you overcome it? I know eating fish is wrong, and I feel rubbish every time I do, it's just the taste and texture that I miss. Smoked fish in particular is something that I like a lot.
any help/advice very very much appreciated
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-13-2013, 07:29 AM
Banned

Hi,

For some it takes time to transition, don't beat yourself up everyday is a new start, take it day by day. Have to clarify that fish is meat.
Have you tried smoked tofu? That might be an option for when u crave smoked fish.
#3 Old 07-13-2013, 08:02 AM
Riot Nrrrd

You've already taken the first step. Sounds like you are aware of what it is that keeps drawing you back - flavor and texture. Many people never realize what they actually miss, so congrats. You're ahead of the game. smiley.gif

Now it's a matter of discovering plant-based foods that scratch that itch. I was never a big fish fan back in the day so my hands on experience is rather limited but I know of a few ingredients that other folks seem happy with:

1) Sea vegetables (seaweed) used as a  seasoning or component of the dish add a pronounced "fishiness"

2) A mild or bland ingredient like tofu dressed with a lemony sauce.

3) Season with spice mixes commonly associated with fish - Old Bay, etc.

4) Asian groceries often carry pre-made seafood substitutes which are often vegetarian (but not always - check the ingredient list). Some of this stuff seems kind of bizarre - vegetarian jellyfish shocked.gif!! It might be fun to experiment with.

Werewolf Girl likes this.

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-13-2013, 09:01 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Sophie's Kitchen products are vegan and delicious! Fake fish, shrimp, etc.
ere7arav.jpg
http://sophieskitchen.net/html/products/crab.html
#5 Old 07-13-2013, 12:28 PM
Impeach the gangster

A few crunchy walnuts may help slake the craving for fish.

Also, there's this:

I tried this recently, and it's not too shabby. I ordered it online from Vegan Essentials.

It took me 10-years to transition from an omnivore into vegetarianism. So hang in there. You can do it!!

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
#6 Old 07-13-2013, 12:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Many years ago I used to get a craving for tuna. Then I started taking a flaxseed oil capsule every day. Haven't had a tuna craving since.

Capstan and Werewolf Girl like this.
#7 Old 07-13-2013, 01:51 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

Eating seaweed helps. It kind of has that fishy smell and taste. As other shave mentioned, there are vegan mock fish products on the market.

"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy
#8 Old 07-13-2013, 02:06 PM
Impeach the gangster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amira23 View Post

Many years ago I used to get a craving for tuna. Then I started taking a flaxseed oil capsule every day. Haven't had a tuna craving since.

Yes, I recently discovered ground flaxseed meal, and adding a little of it to other foods (sprinkling some on a pizza or adding it to soups) goes a looong way toward making me feel satisfied. Highly recommended. Very healthy stuff!

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
#9 Old 07-13-2013, 03:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capstan View Post

Yes, I recently discovered ground flaxseed meal, and adding a little of it to other foods (sprinkling some on a pizza or adding it to soups) goes a looong way toward making me feel satisfied. Highly recommended. Very healthy stuff!

I think the walnuts you suggested have omega 3 in them, too.

#10 Old 07-13-2013, 03:19 PM
Veggie Regular

My husband ate fishes when we met. He called himself vegetarian and that's why were introduced to one another but yeah, he still ate sea creatures from time to time. After about 7 months together he decided to really quit eating sea animals. Here's how he did it:

- He set a date that would be THE DAY. He marked it on his calendar and told everyone that was the day he was going vegetarian for real. It was about two months in advance. That gave him enough time to get the sea animal eating out of his system.

- It also gave him enough time to make plans for how he was going to deal with future cravings. One of the proven methods for overcoming any sort of craving (food, alcohol, drugs, gambling, etc) is to visualize  yourself overcoming it ahead of time. Think about what you can do to stay on track even in the midst of wanting to fall off the rails. For example, having vegan fish is one option. Another option is to remind yourself of why you want to go vegetarian (make a list and keep it with you). You can also have a "sponsor" - someone you will talk to whenever you feel like you're losing your willpower. Just make some sort of plan for how you will deal with cravings.

- He also gave himself permission to screw up. He didn't actually need it, but he accepted that it might take some practice to get this right so he said to himself that he IS TRULY going vegetarian so no matter what, even if he slipped up once, he was still going vegetarian. He wasn't going to allow himself to make up any more excuses to keep eating sea animals. (For the record, he did this again when he went vegan and he did slip up more often regarding cheese, but it still worked and he did finally go vegan.)

PS, this might be helpful. Keep these images in mind when you start craving eating sea animals:

Vegan Dave likes this.
#11 Old 07-15-2013, 06:37 PM
Don't Eat Animals.

ElaineV - Thanks for posting that & opening our awareness about what's really happening out there. It was disgusting to see what happens to our ocean friends....I could only watch a few seconds of it. I wonder if one of those workers would like to be skinned alive. If you eat fish, you're not a veg*n, no matter what fancy title / name you come up with. I wish the whole world was (truly) veg*n.

All animals should be respected & should have the ability to lead a natural & enjoyable life. This means not eating them, or abusing them in any way.
#12 Old 07-15-2013, 07:14 PM
Impeach the gangster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amira23 View Post

I think the walnuts you suggested have omega 3 in them, too.

Yes, they do.

#13 Old 07-17-2013, 07:38 AM

The suggestions to eat seaweed are spot on. 

This is the kind I use (Tory's Choice); it costs like $1.25 at the nearest store. Would probably be great crumbled into a lemon dressing and poured over tofu.

#14 Old 07-17-2013, 08:02 AM
Beginner

Read the books Four FIsh and Bottomfeeder and watch End Of The Line and The Last Ocean. These books and films discuss overfishing and how it's completely screwing up the oceans. After reading and watching them you'll have all the motivation you need to give up fish.

End Of The Line trailer

The Last Ocean trailer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page