If you're veggie, you may be more mentally stable - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-10-2013, 02:40 PM
Zelda Freak

New research published by Nutrition Journal just found that folks who usually eat meat or chicken daily reported better moods and less stress after only 2 weeks on a strict vegetarian diet.  

The article notes: "One reason seems to be that meat contains a long-chain omega-6 (n-6) fatty acid (arachidonic acid) that is associated with depressive symptoms."  

Do you think you've been in a better mood lately if you recently went veg? I can barely remember me as not veg, as I went veg so long ago, so I'm not sure about my moods. 

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 +

* Find me:
+
+
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-10-2013, 07:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Since eating a more plant-based diet benefits the body physically, it's not such a reach to correlate it to an improved psychological state as well. I know that since I started consuming a plant-based diet, I have lost weight, slept better, and generally feel better. I also think that speaking with others about vegetarianism/veganism and promoting a healthier lifestyle has improved my world outlook. For these reasons, I would say that I feel better about who I am and the impact that I have on people around me, the animals, and the environment. I have rarely had any truly chronic depressive symptoms, so I can't really speak to that aspect of the study. I think that as people begin consuming the diet that is best for our physiology, many other positive benefits also follow. 

There also has been scholarly research linking arachidonic acid production to inflammation. Naturally increased bodily inflammation is indicative of several bodily problems. For the layperson (like me), here's an essay by Dr. Case Adams on that subject. http://voices.yahoo.com/diets-high-arachidonic-acid-lead-increased-inflammation-5627168.html?cat=51

"Now listen, I know you've got to think about your image, 'cause image is important to you, because of course your friends are gonna dictate your actions through the rest of your lives, and I wouldn't want you to step away from them and become an individual, that would almost be too much!"...

#3 Old 07-14-2013, 04:37 AM
Veggie Regular

If I may add my 2 cents, yes its absolutely true, not that I ever tasted anything else other than veg. There are countless studies that relate mood with food. Meat is a heat-producing product which instantly manipulates mood receptors negatively. Also while for some people a full stomach might lead to a temporal satisfaction, the same will lead to a dissatisfaction - craving for more food, just a couple of hours later. This is not out of hunger but it's the body's way of signalling it's unhappy whilst giving a wrong impulse. Vegetables and fruits on the other hand, are easy to digest and delivers core nutrients without generating wrong impulses within the body. A clean stomach as a result leads to a calm happy mind. As simple as that. In a way, man was meant to be vegetarian for his own good.

Aristede likes this.

The earth has enough resources for everyones need but not their greed.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-16-2013, 01:37 PM
Veggie Regular

The only food or drinks that have ever affected my mood are caffeine and alcohol. Unlike many others here, I didn't experience any physical or emotional changes after going veg, apart from a more regular bathroom schedule, which I'm assuming is just from the increased fiber intake.

--Fromper
juggle.gif
#5 Old 07-16-2013, 01:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by varun View Post

This is not out of hunger but it's the body's way of signalling it's unhappy whilst giving a wrong impulse.

I so rarely get to use "whilst" when writing. Well done!

Hard to say for me too as I started meditating around the same time I became vegan. Any personality changes in me could be attributable to either change in my life.
#6 Old 07-17-2013, 11:46 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinchen View Post

I started meditating around the same time I became vegan. Any personality changes in me could be attributable to either change in my life.

Thanks, yes I prefer the old school way of expression :)

Both are equally effective in improving the way of life and our thoughts I'm sure. While meditation is a form of psychological training, diet is biological and both work in tandem

The earth has enough resources for everyones need but not their greed.

#7 Old 07-17-2013, 02:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Both are equally effective in improving the way of life and our thoughts I'm sure. While meditation is a form of psychological training, diet is biological and both work in tandem

I agree. If you ignore one in favor of the other (or disregard both entirely) great imbalances occur. 

A quote from the Enlightened Buddha:

To enjoy good health, to bring true happiness to one's family, to bring peace to all, one must first discipline and control one's own mind. If a man can control his mind he can find the way to Enlightenment, and all wisdom and virtue will naturally come to him. - Buddha

Aristede book2.gif

varun likes this.

"Now listen, I know you've got to think about your image, 'cause image is important to you, because of course your friends are gonna dictate your actions through the rest of your lives, and I wouldn't want you to step away from them and become an individual, that would almost be too much!"...

#8 Old 07-17-2013, 04:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

While meditation is a form of psychological training, (veg*n) diet is biological and both work in tandem

*Emphasis mine

Truth be told, given the close relationship between food and our mental state, I consider both of them to be training in compassion.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page