Foods You Hate? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-03-2013, 11:15 AM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

I think we all have some foods that make us gag at first sight. Sure we avoid meat based foods, but there are definitely yucky veg friendly foods that if we had the choice to eat it or dirt, some of us might choose dirt. 

I got back from a wafflehouse and I honestly forgot how much I hate waffles :( Crazy I know. It boggles my mind how people like them. I can't stand the floury, starchy, doughy, flavorless, thing. The syrup just drenches it in sugar and bleh. It's super filling too, and not in a good way. I only chose it because it was a quick pick off the menu.

Another thing, I can't stand fast food hash browns. The smells starts to make me sick. It just smells like oil and grease. Fried bleh. 

The smell of buttermilk still makes me have to leave the room because I feel like I'm going to throw up. That's probably THE WORST. It smells like sour milk, in fact I think it sorta of is, how can people honestly use it or dear god, even drink it? 

What foods do you hate?

VeggieDelights likes this.

"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-03-2013, 11:25 AM

I hate peaches I have to say. I love fruits in general but for some reason I can't stomach that tart peach taste. Another food that I hate but I want to love is Cilantro. Oddly I can have it blended into a blend of spices called "Sofrito" but hate its strong taste by itself. 

#3 Old 07-03-2013, 01:15 PM

Squash and papaya. Ick. Oh, and raisins. Have never liked them, not even as a kid.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-03-2013, 02:02 PM

Foods I have pretty much hated all my life (inc when I was non-vegan.

Processed meat, any animal organ, bacon/ham/gammon, sweet & sour sauce, pears, spaghetti bolognese.

I never liked mushrooms, courgettes, aubergines & peppers still I started cooking vegan food. Now I know how to cook them I can't get enough of them.

When I was in Africa there was a couple of carb based dishes I didn't like made out of either cassava & maize. I ate them because I had to as I was in the bush with nothing else to eat but I didn't really enjoy it.
#5 Old 07-03-2013, 02:44 PM
Super Moderator

Avocado, avocado avocado

Cilantro, cilantro, cilantro and avocado

A woman at my lunch table had avocado and tomato. Tomato makes it so much worse. It could have only been worse if it had cilantro. Or meat.

I believe I'm developing a avocado phobia because I was actually getting queasy just being by them.

I hate cilantro so much. To me it tastes like powdered laundy soap. Stuff looks so much like parsley, and it's ruined many things for me.

Avocado makes me vomit.

Tofu Pups

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#6 Old 07-03-2013, 07:29 PM
Banned

Other than highly processed foods and milk, there isn't much I hate.

Love waffles though, but with whole grain (mix of whole wheat and oat flour is good) and real maple syrup. White flour doesn't have much taste.
#7 Old 07-03-2013, 10:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post

Avocado, avocado avocado

Cilantro, cilantro, cilantro and avocado

A woman at my lunch table had avocado and tomato. Tomato makes it so much worse. It could have only been worse if it had cilantro. Or meat.

I believe I'm developing a avocado phobia because I was actually getting queasy just being by them.

I hate cilantro so much. To me it tastes like powdered laundy soap. Stuff looks so much like parsley, and it's ruined many things for me.

Avocado makes me vomit.

Tofu Pups

Who knew we were soul sisters??!! I hate tomatoes, avocado, and beets. spew.gifI tolerate them, but would never eat them willingly. Which isn't so weird, except I love salsa with tomatoes in it. I realize now I should probably turn in my veg card for that, too, but I won't.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#8 Old 07-04-2013, 03:04 AM
Beginner

Mushrooms are the devils work. Though, since being vegan, I've tried to like the slimy little b******* but I just can't get past them. If they were human, they'd be the pale, greasy, toad like henchmen of a small time mafia boss. Or Grima Wormtongue.

Definitely a mushroom.

natty6 likes this.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." - Charles Darwin
http://leighonamission.wordress.com
#9 Old 07-04-2013, 04:27 AM
adapt. evolve. become

kimchi, yuck

all I can think of at the moment..

All we are is dust in the wind
#10 Old 07-10-2013, 08:45 AM

I hate mushrooms. They are the worst. I am also not a fan of carrots, any seafood, I force raw hemp down but omg its gross.

#11 Old 08-02-2013, 09:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Tamales. Bleh. It's something about that thick soggy corn tortilla.
#12 Old 08-02-2013, 09:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Hate is a little strong but I could never get used to olives. They just have a distinctive smell that is unpalatable to my taste buds.
#13 Old 08-15-2013, 05:01 PM

A pretty short list:  chocolate, okra, mint, anise/fennel/licorice, iced tea, iced coffee, ice.

#14 Old 08-16-2013, 03:50 AM

Raspberries, Olives and Cinnamon!!! undecided.gif

#15 Old 08-16-2013, 05:27 AM
Veggie Regular

As far as taste, for me it's green olives (I like kalamati and black ones though) and cilantro.  I can't think of much else.  I have a hard time with eggplant too.  I want to like it, but I don't think I prepare it right because it always tastes rubbery for me, but there are so many interesting recipes with it.  Hmmm.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#16 Old 08-17-2013, 04:16 PM

Every time I've had Krispy Kreme donuts, they're just mushy and flatten into nothingness on the first or second chew. I'm baffled as to why they're popular.

#17 Old 08-17-2013, 05:17 PM

Beets. I've tried but I just don't like them.

#18 Old 08-17-2013, 07:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpaul View Post

Beets. I've tried but I just don't like them.

I agree, jpaul. I've had them baked, raw, stewed, and pickled. I just haven't been able to really get into them. I usually like the earthiness of vegetables, but beets taste like dirt to me.

Aristedebook2.gif

"Now listen, I know you've got to think about your image, 'cause image is important to you, because of course your friends are gonna dictate your actions through the rest of your lives, and I wouldn't want you to step away from them and become an individual, that would almost be too much!"...

#19 Old 08-17-2013, 09:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by athompson10 View Post

A pretty short list:  chocolate, okra, mint, anise/fennel/licorice, iced tea, iced coffee, ice.

I'll trade you. You can have my beets, avocados, and tomatoes, and I'll have your chocolate and your mint. Deal?deal2.gif

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#20 Old 08-18-2013, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcoftime View Post

Mushrooms are the devils work. Though, since being vegan, I've tried to like the slimy little b******* but I just can't get past them. If they were human, they'd be the pale, greasy, toad like henchmen of a small time mafia boss. Or Grima Wormtongue.

Definitely a mushroom.

I love mushrooms! But I hate olives and paprikas...

#21 Old 08-18-2013, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by athompson10 View Post

Okra is my go to raw vegetable when out in the garden. It's crispy and so refreshing.

#22 Old 08-18-2013, 12:22 PM

Okra, and eggplant.  I will admit that I am just not good at cooking eggplant so maybe I would like it if someone did something good with it.

#23 Old 08-18-2013, 12:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeggieDelights View Post

Raspberries, Olives and Cinnamon!!! undecided.gif

Gasp! I like all three of those, especially cinnamon. Cinnamon is my favorite spice (especially Saigon cinnamon from Vietnam).

Aristedebook2.gif

"Now listen, I know you've got to think about your image, 'cause image is important to you, because of course your friends are gonna dictate your actions through the rest of your lives, and I wouldn't want you to step away from them and become an individual, that would almost be too much!"...

#24 Old 08-19-2013, 03:37 AM

I think I was put off Cinnamon when I visited Florida. 

I had a Cinnabon I think it was called, followed by a foot long thing (think it was a churro!) and it was a cinnamon overload for an English girl lol, now I don't like it at all!

I did find that you over there across the pond tend to pop it on everything lol wink3.gif

Veggie Delights x

#25 Old 08-21-2013, 06:01 PM
Beginner's Mind

When I was a little kid, I hated spinach and green beans, but then I found out that they don't have to be canned.  I am eating fresh garden green beans right now.  They are really yummy.

I also like green beans frozen in mixed veggies.

Jenner: I learned this much: take what you can, when you can.

Justin: Then you have learned nothing!

The Secret of NIMH

#26 Old 09-14-2013, 10:10 PM
Veggie Regular

I never been a huge fan of pears, but I might be beginning to hate them. They just don't have an appealing flavor to me. They just seem really blah. I'm more inclined to throw them into the bin than eat them.

Aristede:book: 

#27 Old 09-15-2013, 03:08 AM
Beginner's Mind

Pears aren't very exciting, but I can't see myself turning one down. 

I can see myself turning down an unlimited supply, though.  Do you just get a lot handed to you?

Jenner: I learned this much: take what you can, when you can.

Justin: Then you have learned nothing!

The Secret of NIMH

#28 Old 09-15-2013, 04:28 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike4891 View Post

Pears aren't very exciting, but I can't see myself turning one down. 

I can see myself turning down an unlimited supply, though.  Do you just get a lot handed to you?

They have to be nice and ripe. I love desserts with pear it's so sweet.
#29 Old 09-15-2013, 06:29 AM

Ok, aside from my usual "tomatoes are sickening I want to scream when I see one on my plate" rant, I'm going to go with aubergine.

Aubergine (eggplant I believe you 'mericans say) should not be a food, it tastes beyond disgusting. 

And a +1 for olives. They taste nearly as gross as aubergine. 

And let's finish off with all berries. 

(I know, best vegan ever.)

#30 Old 09-15-2013, 07:26 AM
Banned

I think most of mine have already been said :)

Coriander (Cilantro)

Avocado

Anything that tastes like aniseed *can just about stomach the flavour in Five Spice

Celeriac

Brussel Sprouts

Rocket

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page