VeggieBoards

VeggieBoards (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/)
-   Vegetarian Support Forum (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/11-vegetarian-support-forum/)
-   -   Foods You Hate? (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/11-vegetarian-support-forum/141764-foods-you-hate.html)

4everaspirit 07-03-2013 12:15 PM

I think we all have some foods that make us gag at first sight. Sure we avoid meat based foods, but there are definitely yucky veg friendly foods that if we had the choice to eat it or dirt, some of us might choose dirt. 

I got back from a wafflehouse and I honestly forgot how much I hate waffles :( Crazy I know. It boggles my mind how people like them. I can't stand the floury, starchy, doughy, flavorless, thing. The syrup just drenches it in sugar and bleh. It's super filling too, and not in a good way. I only chose it because it was a quick pick off the menu.

Another thing, I can't stand fast food hash browns. The smells starts to make me sick. It just smells like oil and grease. Fried bleh. 

The smell of buttermilk still makes me have to leave the room because I feel like I'm going to throw up. That's probably THE WORST. It smells like sour milk, in fact I think it sorta of is, how can people honestly use it or dear god, even drink it? 

What foods do you hate?

Angelo Carrion 07-03-2013 12:25 PM

I hate peaches I have to say. I love fruits in general but for some reason I can't stomach that tart peach taste. Another food that I hate but I want to love is Cilantro. Oddly I can have it blended into a blend of spices called "Sofrito" but hate its strong taste by itself. 

CrazyApple 07-03-2013 02:15 PM

Squash and papaya. Ick. Oh, and raisins. Have never liked them, not even as a kid.

ponyboy85 07-03-2013 03:02 PM

Foods I have pretty much hated all my life (inc when I was non-vegan.

Processed meat, any animal organ, bacon/ham/gammon, sweet & sour sauce, pears, spaghetti bolognese.

I never liked mushrooms, courgettes, aubergines & peppers still I started cooking vegan food. Now I know how to cook them I can't get enough of them.

When I was in Africa there was a couple of carb based dishes I didn't like made out of either cassava & maize. I ate them because I had to as I was in the bush with nothing else to eat but I didn't really enjoy it.

silva 07-03-2013 03:44 PM

Avocado, avocado avocado

Cilantro, cilantro, cilantro and avocado

A woman at my lunch table had avocado and tomato. Tomato makes it so much worse. It could have only been worse if it had cilantro. Or meat.

I believe I'm developing a avocado phobia because I was actually getting queasy just being by them.

I hate cilantro so much. To me it tastes like powdered laundy soap. Stuff looks so much like parsley, and it's ruined many things for me.

Avocado makes me vomit.

Tofu Pups

logic 07-03-2013 08:29 PM

Other than highly processed foods and milk, there isn't much I hate.

Love waffles though, but with whole grain (mix of whole wheat and oat flour is good) and real maple syrup. White flour doesn't have much taste.

Purp 07-03-2013 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post

Avocado, avocado avocado

Cilantro, cilantro, cilantro and avocado

A woman at my lunch table had avocado and tomato. Tomato makes it so much worse. It could have only been worse if it had cilantro. Or meat.

I believe I'm developing a avocado phobia because I was actually getting queasy just being by them.

I hate cilantro so much. To me it tastes like powdered laundy soap. Stuff looks so much like parsley, and it's ruined many things for me.

Avocado makes me vomit.

Tofu Pups

Who knew we were soul sisters??!! I hate tomatoes, avocado, and beets. spew.gifI tolerate them, but would never eat them willingly. Which isn't so weird, except I love salsa with tomatoes in it. I realize now I should probably turn in my veg card for that, too, but I won't.

arcoftime 07-04-2013 04:04 AM

Mushrooms are the devils work. Though, since being vegan, I've tried to like the slimy little b******* but I just can't get past them. If they were human, they'd be the pale, greasy, toad like henchmen of a small time mafia boss. Or Grima Wormtongue.

Definitely a mushroom.

Pirate Huntress 07-04-2013 05:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)

kimchi, yuck

all I can think of at the moment..

Hunnybadgerkins 07-10-2013 09:45 AM

I hate mushrooms. They are the worst. I am also not a fan of carrots, any seafood, I force raw hemp down but omg its gross.

natty6 08-02-2013 10:19 PM

Tamales. Bleh. It's something about that thick soggy corn tortilla.

Rinchen 08-02-2013 10:26 PM

Hate is a little strong but I could never get used to olives. They just have a distinctive smell that is unpalatable to my taste buds.

athompson10 08-15-2013 06:01 PM

A pretty short list:  chocolate, okra, mint, anise/fennel/licorice, iced tea, iced coffee, ice.

VeggieDelights 08-16-2013 04:50 AM

Raspberries, Olives and Cinnamon!!! undecided.gif

Naturebound 08-16-2013 06:27 AM

As far as taste, for me it's green olives (I like kalamati and black ones though) and cilantro.  I can't think of much else.  I have a hard time with eggplant too.  I want to like it, but I don't think I prepare it right because it always tastes rubbery for me, but there are so many interesting recipes with it.  Hmmm.

Scratchcat 08-17-2013 05:16 PM

Every time I've had Krispy Kreme donuts, they're just mushy and flatten into nothingness on the first or second chew. I'm baffled as to why they're popular.

jpaul 08-17-2013 06:17 PM

Beets. I've tried but I just don't like them.

Aristede 08-17-2013 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpaul View Post

Beets. I've tried but I just don't like them.

I agree, jpaul. I've had them baked, raw, stewed, and pickled. I just haven't been able to really get into them. I usually like the earthiness of vegetables, but beets taste like dirt to me.

Aristedebook2.gif

Purp 08-17-2013 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by athompson10 View Post

A pretty short list:  chocolate, okra, mint, anise/fennel/licorice, iced tea, iced coffee, ice.

I'll trade you. You can have my beets, avocados, and tomatoes, and I'll have your chocolate and your mint. Deal?deal2.gif

Renegade113 08-18-2013 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcoftime View Post

Mushrooms are the devils work. Though, since being vegan, I've tried to like the slimy little b******* but I just can't get past them. If they were human, they'd be the pale, greasy, toad like henchmen of a small time mafia boss. Or Grima Wormtongue.

Definitely a mushroom.

I love mushrooms! But I hate olives and paprikas...

jpaul 08-18-2013 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by athompson10 View Post

Okra is my go to raw vegetable when out in the garden. It's crispy and so refreshing.

justJackie 08-18-2013 01:22 PM

Okra, and eggplant.  I will admit that I am just not good at cooking eggplant so maybe I would like it if someone did something good with it.

Aristede 08-18-2013 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeggieDelights View Post

Raspberries, Olives and Cinnamon!!! undecided.gif

Gasp! I like all three of those, especially cinnamon. Cinnamon is my favorite spice (especially Saigon cinnamon from Vietnam).

Aristedebook2.gif

VeggieDelights 08-19-2013 04:37 AM

I think I was put off Cinnamon when I visited Florida. 

I had a Cinnabon I think it was called, followed by a foot long thing (think it was a churro!) and it was a cinnamon overload for an English girl lol, now I don't like it at all!

I did find that you over there across the pond tend to pop it on everything lol wink3.gif

Veggie Delights x

Mike4891 08-21-2013 07:01 PM

When I was a little kid, I hated spinach and green beans, but then I found out that they don't have to be canned.  I am eating fresh garden green beans right now.  They are really yummy.

I also like green beans frozen in mixed veggies.

Aristede 09-14-2013 11:10 PM

I never been a huge fan of pears, but I might be beginning to hate them. They just don't have an appealing flavor to me. They just seem really blah. I'm more inclined to throw them into the bin than eat them.

Aristede:book: 

Mike4891 09-15-2013 04:08 AM

Pears aren't very exciting, but I can't see myself turning one down. 

I can see myself turning down an unlimited supply, though.  Do you just get a lot handed to you?

LedBoots 09-15-2013 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike4891 View Post

Pears aren't very exciting, but I can't see myself turning one down. 

I can see myself turning down an unlimited supply, though.  Do you just get a lot handed to you?

They have to be nice and ripe. I love desserts with pear it's so sweet.

Kath 09-15-2013 07:29 AM

Ok, aside from my usual "tomatoes are sickening I want to scream when I see one on my plate" rant, I'm going to go with aubergine.

Aubergine (eggplant I believe you 'mericans say) should not be a food, it tastes beyond disgusting. 

And a +1 for olives. They taste nearly as gross as aubergine. 

And let's finish off with all berries. 

(I know, best vegan ever.)

60225 09-15-2013 08:26 AM

I think most of mine have already been said :)

Coriander (Cilantro)

Avocado

Anything that tastes like aniseed *can just about stomach the flavour in Five Spice

Celeriac

Brussel Sprouts

Rocket