VeggieBoards

VeggieBoards (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/)
-   Vegetarian Support Forum (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/11-vegetarian-support-forum/)
-   -   Foods You Hate? (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/11-vegetarian-support-forum/141764-foods-you-hate.html)

Aristede 09-15-2013 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet-Vegan View Post

I think most of mine have already been said :)

Coriander (Cilantro)

Avocado

Anything that tastes like aniseed *can just about stomach the flavour in Five Spice

Celeriac

Brussel Sprouts

Rocket

You and I might have similar tastes, Quiet-Vegan. Of the six things you listed, I don't like several of them. I don't like coriander and Brussel sprouts (despite trying them made in different ways). Rocket (arugula) depends; I like baby rocket, but the older it is the more bitter and I don't like that. I do not recall having tried celeriac (celery root), but I know what it is. I'm not a huge fan of raw celery, but cooked it is tolerable, so I wonder about celeriac. Avocado is good only when it is ripe and very fresh, otherwise it is rubbish. I actually like anise flavor, but to a point. I don't care for absinthe (too bitter and strong, even when mixed) or licorice, but I like fennel and star anise. 

Years ago, I first tried a persimmon from the market and thought it was the most horridly mouth-numbing thing I had ever eaten and tasteless to boot! It turned out that it wasn't ripe and i later read about the effects of eating unripe persimmon. To this day, I haven't tried a persimmon again, but since it's fall they're in season again. The foodie in me wants to try a recipe one, but my sensibility is telling me no... :lol:

Aristede:book: 

Tiger Lilly 09-15-2013 09:43 PM

Hmmmm, I don't really 'hate' too many flavours.

Not big on raw tomatoes or pumpkin, but I can eat it if politeness insists on it.

Can't stand grapefruit juice though. It tastes like petrol (I've tasted petrol, not on purpose, but when you're sucking on a hose that has it's other end in the petrol tank, stuff just happens :P).

My biggest hate with food is if it has a consistency like jelly. It freaks me out and I can't eat it. That's why I steer away from silken tofu. I like my food to have either crunch or chew, but Others can take that "you can't chew it, but you have to bite it' sort of thing.

TheIllusionist 09-15-2013 09:47 PM

Carrots

Celery

Mango

Papaya

Tomatos, really I just hate stewed tomatos. I only like cherry tomatos.

Cucumbers, I absolutely hate hate hate cucumbers. The smell makes me gag. The taste is just awful. I can at least deal with others.

Kind of Hate, Kind of Like

Avacado, the texture is off putting, but the taste isn't to bad.

aniaraven 09-16-2013 04:38 AM

I can't stand butternut squash and sweet potatoes and my recent experience with tofu i think its added to the list

Tiger Lilly 09-16-2013 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniaraven View Post

I can't stand butternut squash and sweet potatoes and my recent experience with tofu i think its added to the list

I didn't like sweet potato, then I did!

What kind of tofu did you try? I had silken tofu once and it was dreadful. I cooked it completely the wrong way!

sheepgomoo 09-16-2013 07:12 PM

I'm a fan of almost everything (other than, y'know, meats): pickles, olives, beets, waffles- I LOVE IT ALL!

Except...I've denied it for a long time, but I should come clean -

I do not enjoy the radish experience.

Our CSA has been full of them this year and they're adorable and crunchy and I know they're good for me, or whatever, but man- I see them, and my heart drops a little. I've tried making radish chips out of them and the sweet version (with honey, cinnamon and sugar) was...tolerable? when topping a bagel loaded with cream cheese? In an attempt to be more of a grown up, I tried making them in the savory version (with tumeric and curry) and they have since been just sitting in my fridge. I don't know what it is about them  that's such a bummer- I love hot stuff, I love bitter things and I love root veg. Something about the combination, though just, really bums me out.

Aristede 09-16-2013 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniaraven View Post

I love sweet potatoes and butternut squash! Have you tried roasting them? They're so delicious that way (to me at least). If you tried my dry chili tofu with plum sauce you'd change your mind about tofu! 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepgomoo View Post

I'm a fan of almost everything (other than, y'know, meats): pickles, olives, beets, waffles- I LOVE IT ALL!

Except...I've denied it for a long time, but I should come clean -

I do not enjoy the radish experience.

Our CSA has been full of them this year and they're adorable and crunchy and I know they're good for me, or whatever, but man- I see them, and my heart drops a little. I've tried making radish chips out of them and the sweet version (with honey, cinnamon and sugar) was...tolerable? when topping a bagel loaded with cream cheese? In an attempt to be more of a grown up, I tried making them in the savory version (with tumeric and curry) and they have since been just sitting in my fridge. I don't know what it is about them  that's such a bummer- I love hot stuff, I love bitter things and I love root veg. Something about the combination, though just, really bums me out.

I recently started incorporating more radishes into my diet. I eat them mostly in salads and they're radish. I love daikon radish on my bánh mì, Have you tried pickling them? 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIllusionist View Post

Carrots

Celery

Mango

Papaya

Tomatos, really I just hate stewed tomatos. I only like cherry tomatos.

Cucumbers, I absolutely hate hate hate cucumbers. The smell makes me gag. The taste is just awful. I can at least deal with others.

Avacado, the texture is off putting, but the taste isn't to bad.

On your list, I adore mango, love tomatoes (though they have to be sweet), and eat cucumbers and carrots all of the time in my cooking. I agree with you on papaya though. I simply don't like papaya. If it's mixed into a fruit salad, it's almost tolerable, but I can still distinguish it from the other fruits. Maybe I need to give it another try. Every now and then I reintroduce a food that I professed to hate in an attempt to broaden my horizons. Cilantro (coriander) is still missing the mark. lol

Aristede:book:

aniaraven 09-17-2013 04:51 AM

My ex. Cooked butternut squash and sweet potato to death and really badly so I think that's what put me off them.

I have to say that although a lot of people hate avocados I love them