High Calorie Diet - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-20-2013, 12:33 AM

Hi All!

I have been thinking about making the switch to Vegetarian, only problem is i have an Extremely Fast Metabolism. I have an idea of what i can do to help maintain my weight and possibly gain weight by weight lifting. I plan on Devoting to the Vegetarian Diet Plus, eating plenty of dried fruits and nut's protein shakes with Olive Oil. and that is all i have to go with for now. I have to eat 3,500 Calories a day, any suggestion's as to how i can achieve my Daily High Calorie Intake Demand's while being a Vegetarian? Thank You In Advance!

Edit

i would like to add as well i need support i am unsure as to being able to achieve my goal....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-20-2013, 04:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Hi, NicanorB. Welcome to the site.

First off, I would use a calorie tracker site, such as cronometer to get a feel for how much calories are in different food combinations and to examine whether you're getting enough. There is no reason you can't eat a high calorie vegetarian diet. Some foods you haven't mentioned: oatmeal, bread, rice, peanut butter, beans, lentils, potatoes, bananas, avocados, soy products, wheat gluten/seitan.

#3 Old 06-20-2013, 05:35 AM
Veggie Regular

that's tough because the vegetarian foods will be higher in fiber.....avocadoes are a good idea. :)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-20-2013, 08:06 AM
Banned

Coconut, coconut oil, coconut butter.
Nuts, seeds, nut butters, nut cheese, cashew cream.
Grains.
#5 Old 06-20-2013, 08:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny79 View Post

that's tough because the vegetarian foods will be higher in fiber.....avocadoes are a good idea. :)

Why is fiber a problem?

#6 Old 06-21-2013, 11:04 AM
Poo Pie Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsail View Post

Why is fiber a problem?
I think the implication is that fiber makes you feel full longer and thus makes someone eat less. As the OP wanted to maintain a high calorie diet, such a thing could make it difficult.
#7 Old 06-23-2013, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie Moody View Post

I think the implication is that fiber makes you feel full longer and thus makes someone eat less. As the OP wanted to maintain a high calorie diet, such a thing could make it difficult.

Well, I'd suggest using full-strength soy or rice milk (130 cals a cup right there), curry veggies in coconut milk, add root vegetables to most dishes, non-bonechar sugar or agave nectar to whatever wants sweetening, nuts, cereal grains, blah blah blah. In other words, if one eats all those things that vegetarians who gain more weight than they need - and there are LOTS of those, believe me - usually avoid then one can jack up the calories incredibly. I'd not discount the possiblity because of fibre.

You know, this is an interesting query, because it almost builds in an argument for NOT becoming vegetarian, if one were to think that a vegetarian diet in itself makes one lose weight. Of course, the fact is that it does not. Good luck. Nice to see another person wanting to be a veggie/vegetarian/veg*n or whatever carrot.gif

#8 Old 06-25-2013, 01:03 PM
Siv
Veggie Regular

If you have a high metabolism this means your body is needing more energy than an average person. You are going to get this energy from eating carbohydrates, not from protein! And you certainly aren't getting those carbohydrates from meat.

You need approx 0.8g of protein for 1kg of body weight so for a 80kg person, this is only 64g of protein a day, something that should not be challenging to get in a vegetarian diet. There is a limited amount of protein that the body can deal with, it cannot be stored for use later (unlike carbs and fat) so even as a body builder, you may need a little more protein but we're talking about a few more grams, not kilos!

Eggs and Dairy

• Egg, large - 6 grams protein
  • Milk, 1 cup - 8 grams
  • Cottage cheese, ½ cup - 15 grams
  • Yogurt, 1 cup – usually 8-12 grams, check label
  • Soft cheeses (Mozzarella, Brie, Camembert) – 6 grams per oz
  • Medium cheeses (Cheddar, Swiss) – 7 or 8 grams per oz
  • Hard cheeses (Parmesan) – 10 grams per oz

Beans (including soy)

• Tofu, ½ cup 20 grams protein
  • Tofu, 1 oz, 2.3 grams
  • Soy milk, 1 cup - 6 -10 grams
  • Most beans (black, pinto, lentils, etc) about 7-10 grams protein per half cup of cooked beans
  • Soy beans, ½ cup cooked – 14 grams protein
  • Split peas, ½ cup cooked – 8 grams

Nuts and Seeds

• Peanut butter, 2 Tablespoons - 8 grams protein
  • Almonds, ¼ cup – 8 grams
  • Peanuts, ¼ cup – 9 grams
  • Cashews, ¼ cup – 5 grams
  • Pecans, ¼ cup – 2.5 grams
  • Sunflower seeds, ¼ cup – 6 grams
  • Pumpkin seeds, ¼ cup – 8 grams
  • Flax seeds – ¼ cup – 8 grams

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page