Red Robbin Commercial: Garden Burger for your Teenage Daughter going through a "phase" - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#1 Old 06-17-2013, 08:07 AM
Newbie
 
HighwayMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 13

What the fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

 

.......

 

I can't find it on youtube. But there is a new Red Robbin commercial playing on TV where a waitress lists out the menu options...and with a snide-remark adds "And we even have a garden burger for your teenage daughter going through a phase." - with a look of mock pity on her face.

 

Like, what in the Jimminy Crickets is wrong with this world? When will this **** end? Yes, it's all perfectly hilarious, legal and accepted that millions of animals are being tortured and abused and killed. That's awesome isn't it? But if I come to cave your mocking face in to prove just how much of a "teenage daughter" I am, that's jail time for life, isn't it?

 

This is all nonsense, all of it, this entire world and this entire species.

HighwayMan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 06-17-2013, 09:11 AM
Siv
Veggie Regular
 
Siv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 456

I'm happy that at least they have a vegetarian option. Too many places in Texas have absolutely nothing for vegetarians - Red Robin have garden, veggie & boca patties! I find that amazing for a burger place and really wish more places cater to us like that.

 

My Red Robin favourite is the Blue Ribbon burger (Basted with a tangy steak sauce and topped with crumbled Bleu cheese. Served with crispy onion straws, lettuce, fresh tomatoes and zesty chipotle aioli on an onion bun.) and of course swapping the beef patty out for the garden one. At nearly 900 calories, it's not something I eat every day though!
 

Siv is offline  
#3 Old 06-17-2013, 09:27 AM
Herbivorous Urchin
 
River's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 9,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siv View Post

I'm happy that at least they have a vegetarian option. Too many places in Texas have absolutely nothing for vegetarians - Red Robin have garden, veggie & boca patties! I find that amazing for a burger place and really wish more places cater to us like that.

My Red Robin favourite is the Blue Ribbon burger (Basted with a tangy steak sauce and topped with crumbled Bleu cheese. Served with crispy onion straws, lettuce, fresh tomatoes and zesty chipotle aioli on an onion bun.) and of course swapping the beef patty out for the garden one. At nearly 900 calories, it's not something I eat every day though!

 

I'm going to guess you're not in this for the animals, getting bleu cheese on your food.
jumpingspider22 likes this.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
River is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#4 Old 06-17-2013, 09:28 AM
Herbivorous Urchin
 
River's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 9,721
I've seen the commercial, and while its annoying to be mocked, red robin does pretty well at trying to accomodate veggies.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
River is offline  
#5 Old 06-17-2013, 10:16 AM
Beginner
 
BlueSkies&Rainbows's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 195

Here's the commercial
http://www.ispot.tv/ad/7nsK/red-robin-burgers-teenage-daughter

Ridiculous, I don't know why they think it's ok to insult potential customers. 

BlueSkies&Rainbows is offline  
#6 Old 06-17-2013, 10:34 AM
Veggie Regular
 
runnerveggie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,862
I thought it was actually kind of funny. It's a stereotype, but it certainly has some truth to it -- so many people try eating veg for a while then quit. I think many of us who became vegetarian as teenagers had parents who thought it was a phase -- well, my "veggie phase" has lasted more than a decade! smiley.gif

It's nice that they are actually advertising their veggie option. I love that red robin has garden burgers and Boca vegan burgers available -- it's a place where I can easily meet the in-laws and everyone can get something they like.
runnerveggie is offline  
#7 Old 06-17-2013, 11:11 AM
Siv
Veggie Regular
 
Siv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post

I'm going to guess you're not in this for the animals, getting bleu cheese on your food.


This is the Vegetarian board, not the Vegan one. Instead of judging me, why not stay on topic?

 

Fortunately Red Robin have both vegan and vegetarian options smiley.gif

Siv is offline  
#8 Old 06-17-2013, 11:18 AM
Veggie Regular
 
vegan cyberpunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Probably some airport
Posts: 1,280

1st the phase thing has a foundation to be here

 

2nd its a basic rule that speaking about veggies in any way is better for the movement than the movement being simply ignored

 

3rd they are actually doing it. And advertising it.

 

4th a bit of good sense, if it really was just a phase thing, they wouldn't have it, if they sell it, it's because people buy it, and if they advertise it, it's to bring customers in

 

i prefer a thousand times this kind of ads to classical meat ads or ads that don't mention such products or such population at all.

 

I bet that this ad has bringed some customers in, not only offering options for the already veggies, but possibly converting say one person in a billion, which is better than nothing.

 

Yeah this world sucks on many levels, but this ad is also the proof, and a mean, of positive change.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
https://
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
https://www.autistici.org/en/index.html  https://riseup.net/en

https://pay.reddit.com/r/privacy/wiki/index

vegan cyberpunk is offline  
#9 Old 06-17-2013, 11:31 AM
 
jpaul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siv View Post


This is the Vegetarian board, not the Vegan one. Instead of judging me, why not stay on topic?

 

Fortunately Red Robin have both vegan and vegetarian options smiley.gif

 

It's probable that the blue cheese you enjoy isn't vegetarian at all as it most likely contains rennet.

jpaul is offline  
#10 Old 06-17-2013, 11:44 AM
Siv
Veggie Regular
 
Siv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpaul View Post

It's probable that the blue cheese you enjoy isn't vegetarian at all as it most likely contains rennet.

It's almost certain that any cheese available in an American burger joint contains rennet. But what is the relevance of this to this thread about the Red Robin ad?

Siv is offline  
#11 Old 06-17-2013, 11:58 AM
Administrator
 
Michael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 19,873
I haven't seen the ad but I love their veggie burger and we eat there any time we're near one.

I think it's great they have a veggie burger (and not just one, you can have any of their burgers made w/ the veggie patty).

They're building one about 10 minutes from us, not sure how I feel about one being so close. You know, with the bottomless fries and all. hungry.gif

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Michael is offline  
#12 Old 06-17-2013, 01:13 PM
Herbivorous Urchin
 
River's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 9,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siv View Post


This is the Vegetarian board, not the Vegan one. Instead of judging me, why not stay on topic?

Fortunately Red Robin have both vegan and vegetarian options smiley.gif

Bleu cheese is often not vegetarian :-)

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
River is offline  
#13 Old 06-17-2013, 04:16 PM
Poo Pie Head
 
ShadowKat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 484
A heads up that others have alluded to, most "traditional" style cheeses use rennet. Many brands of cheap American process cheese use plant based coagulants because they are a bit cheaper, but it isn't a guarantee. Any company making a bleu cheese that they wish to upmarket will use animal rennet tho. When I was vegetarian I would only buy certain types of Cabot brand cheese, as some of their cheeses were vegetarian. (vegan now, so a non issue. Go nutritional yeast! Yum!)

As per the ad, stupid, yes. Helpful? Maybe. At least it let's veg folk know they have options. It is a bit insulting, but was designed by and for omnis to watch, so it does not surprise me.
ShadowKat is offline  
#14 Old 06-17-2013, 04:38 PM
Veggie Regular
 
vegan cyberpunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Probably some airport
Posts: 1,280

One has to earn respect. If an ad says stuff about phases, think about why, and prove them wrong.

 

There have been such ads by the past, with court results coming from offended veggies. Obviously it didn't improve neither the public image of veggies, neither the respect received, far from it.

 

this whole veggie thing is hardly gonna change in one day, patience and fortitude are two words that come to my mind.

 

If one wants the easy road, oooooooooooooops.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
https://
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
https://www.autistici.org/en/index.html  https://riseup.net/en

https://pay.reddit.com/r/privacy/wiki/index

vegan cyberpunk is offline  
#15 Old 06-17-2013, 07:02 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕
 
4everaspirit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 3,229

Wow...that would make me really mad. Kinda glad I havent' seen it yet. I might look for it and complain to Red Robin. I used to LOVE them. They had delicious vegan burgers and whole wheat buns with sweet potato fries. Granted, the waiters would still get me the veggie burger instead of the vegan burger half the time, but still.

 

It's bad enough that I used to have people tell me, some who didn't even know me!!, that I was just going through a "phase" like someone else they knew but who didn't stick with it. Ugh.

 

To be a bit fair, they may be trying to appeal to the vegetarians but also the parents of vegetarians (who feel frustrated with the child's decision) in that they can accomadate them too. It's more of a parent perspective. 


"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy
4everaspirit is offline  
#16 Old 06-17-2013, 07:07 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕
 
4everaspirit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 3,229

WOO HOOO Look at what I just came across!! It's already got a huffington post article too!! Took some specific keyword searching, but I found it. 

 

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/17/red-robin-garden-burger_n_3455739.htmlhttp://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/17/red-robin-garden-burger_n_3455739.html

 

Looks like other veggies don't particularly like it either.

Jennifer C likes this.

"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy
4everaspirit is offline  
#17 Old 06-17-2013, 07:31 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕
 
4everaspirit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 3,229

Don't forget to let them know your feelings on their facebook page =3


"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy
4everaspirit is offline  
#18 Old 06-17-2013, 07:36 PM
Siv
Veggie Regular
 
Siv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 456

Am I the only one that finds this humorous and harmless? No wonder we veg*ns get abused if something as trivial as this has us up in arms.

Siv is offline  
#19 Old 06-17-2013, 07:56 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕
 
4everaspirit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 3,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siv View Post

Am I the only one that finds this humorous and harmless? No wonder we veg*ns get abused if something as trivial as this has us up in arms.

I don't find my veganism being compared to that of a teenager's girls "phase" to be humorous at all. It's in bad taste. We will never be a truly civil society as long as "compassion" is mocked. Or how about those who are just trying to eat healthier or live more environmentally conscious? That ad portrayed them in a negative light too. They just shot a lot of their customers in the foot, and not just veg*ns, those who respect veg*ns or don't take kindly to any customer group being belittled for their choices as well. It's not funny. Not at all.

 

No wonder we get abused for making qualms about being abused? Sounds a bit odd. There is a common response when a group is "called out" called "blaming the victim." 

Jennifer C likes this.

"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy
4everaspirit is offline  
#20 Old 06-17-2013, 08:12 PM
Veggie Regular
 
vegan cyberpunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Probably some airport
Posts: 1,280

the guys are doing veggie burgers and the veggies are going pissed off at them...

 

if i was red robin, i might say "you know what guys, FU, go get your veggie burgers somewhere else, we are going back to full meat."

 

It's like in that buddha story with the cithar, if you want to have good music, the string cannot be too loose, but if it's not loose enough, it won't work neither.

 

And please keep in mind that this whole phase thing among the teenage feminine population is a fact. Ok ? a fact.

I don't know of any research on the subject but from my own experience and that of people around me i think that we all agree that there is a very good reason for this ad to target this way.

 

 

 

Know what, given that red stuff with its veggie burgers has done this ad, that peta is exploiting womens bodies, that mcdo and its new fully vegetarian restaurant has so much blood on its hands, that some veggie places are run by religious groups or by anarchists, that some veggie food is GMO or is transported across the seas in a very unecological way,

 

let's just treat them all like crap, boycott them, cry that the world sucks, i am sure we will go very far like that.

 

As opposed to say send a letter to the guys saying thank you guys for proposing veggie options, it is very hard to find veggie options and when we do there is rarely a lot of choice, and you guys are just making my life easier, and i can bring friends and familly and share my veggie burger with them to make them try, and you are promoting veggie options and all so thanks a lot, i hope one day you will go full veggie but at least you are on the right track.

 

Nah.

 

Let's make so much noise about it in newspapers and their facebook and whatnot that they will regret having ever proposed a veggie option.

 

Stop expecting a perfect world at every corner, it has to be built, and those guys have axtually taken a giant step forward, and they are among the first ones to do so at the scale of the planet.

 

There is word called gratitude, and another one called ingratitude.

 

If we are to jump like bunnies on every opportunity of attacking even those who at least have put a hand forward towards us because they have done so as meat eaters, i am not sure they won't regret, or that it will enourage others meat eaters to open their options and their vision.

Siv likes this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
https://
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
https://www.autistici.org/en/index.html  https://riseup.net/en

https://pay.reddit.com/r/privacy/wiki/index

vegan cyberpunk is offline  
#21 Old 06-17-2013, 08:14 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕
 
4everaspirit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 3,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegan cyberpunk View Post

 

let's just treat them all like crap, boycott them, cry that the world sucks, i am sure we will go very far like that.

 

 

It certainly makes them want to pull the ad :)


"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy
4everaspirit is offline  
#22 Old 06-17-2013, 08:15 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕
 
4everaspirit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 3,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegan cyberpunk View Post

 

 

As opposed to say send a letter to the guys saying thank you guys for proposing veggie options, it is very hard to find veggie options and when we do there is rarely a lot of choice, and you guys are just making my life easier, and i can bring friends and familly and share my veggie burger with them to make them try, and you are promoting veggie options and all so thanks a lot, i hope one day you will go full veggie but at least you are on the right track.

 

 

A lot of people did say they were happy with the veg options, but they then added that such a commercial was not conducive to respecting customers.

 

If you want to order meals at a place that doesn't have a fair image of you fine, but many of us don't.


"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy
4everaspirit is offline  
#23 Old 06-17-2013, 09:15 PM
Veggie Regular
 
vegan cyberpunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Probably some airport
Posts: 1,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4everaspirit View Post

A lot of people did say they were happy with the veg options, but they then added that such a commercial was not conducive to respecting customers.

 

If you want to order meals at a place that doesn't have a fair image of you fine, but many of us don't.

 

Fine, i understand this standpoint,

 

but i am just tired of all the criticism, that one sucks because the girls are naked or close enough, that one sucks because they are anarchists, that one sucks because they treat people badly, that one sucks because they have a guru or a master or something, that one sucks because they have been bought by a meat company, that one sucks because their ad doesn't give a fair image of us...

 

c'moooooooooooooooooooooon

 

yeah this world sucks ( tadaaaa surprise ), but vegetarianism is on the rise, among others thanks to guys like Red Robbin, so stop crying about their inevitable defaults.

 

Like less complaining about the inevitable shortcomings, more gratefulness about the effective progress made and happening.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
https://
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
https://www.autistici.org/en/index.html  https://riseup.net/en

https://pay.reddit.com/r/privacy/wiki/index

vegan cyberpunk is offline  
#24 Old 06-17-2013, 10:13 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕
 
4everaspirit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 3,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegan cyberpunk View Post

 

 

Like less complaining about the inevitable shortcomings, more gratefulness about the effective progress made and happening.

 

 

We were all grateful for their veggie burgers. I COULD HAVE made a rant about them serving any meat at all but, in taking a approach similar to yours, I instead am grateful they offer menu items on the right path.  Just because you are grateful and supportive doesn't mean you can't be critical as well though. I do beleive in giving credit where credit is due, but in reference to this ad, this is not one of those times. No round of applause from me.

 

It's like a dictator who feeds their subjects barely anything, but expects them to be grateful with no criticism of the lame rationing. It's not right to expect pure favor of people for simply a "barely good" deed. That's all I have been getting at.


"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy
4everaspirit is offline  
#25 Old 06-17-2013, 10:17 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕
 
4everaspirit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 3,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegan cyberpunk View Post

 

 

 

but i am just tired of all the criticism

On another note. If you are so tired of all the criticism why are you criticizing those who wish to criticize?  wink3.gif


"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy
4everaspirit is offline  
#26 Old 06-17-2013, 10:39 PM
Herbivorous Urchin
 
River's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 9,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegan cyberpunk View Post

Fine, i understand this standpoint,

but i am just tired of all the criticism, that one sucks because the girls are naked or close enough, that one sucks because they are anarchists, that one sucks because they treat people badly, that one sucks because they have a guru or a master or something, that one sucks because they have been bought by a meat company, that one sucks because their ad doesn't give a fair image of us...

c'moooooooooooooooooooooon

yeah this world sucks ( tadaaaa surprise ), but vegetarianism is on the rise, among others thanks to guys like Red Robbin, so stop crying about their inevitable defaults.

Like less complaining about the inevitable shortcomings, more gratefulness about the effective progress made and happening.

To be clear, veg*nism is on the rise independantly of red robin. Red robin offers veggie patties BECAUSE veg*nism is on the rise. There is a demand and they're a supplier. A supplier shouldn't push the demanders under a bus.
4everaspirit likes this.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
River is offline  
#27 Old 06-17-2013, 10:51 PM
Veggie Regular
 
zirpkatze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,408
i think they missed the mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siv View Post

It's almost certain that any cheese available in an American burger joint contains rennet. But what is the relevance of this to this thread about the Red Robin ad?
i'd say it's about as relevant as your post describing what you like to eat there.


Quote:
Originally Posted by vegan cyberpunk View Post

the guys are doing veggie burgers and the veggies are going pissed off at them...

if i was red robin, i might say "you know what guys, FU, go get your veggie burgers somewhere else, we are going back to full meat."

It's like in that buddha story with the cithar, if you want to have good music, the string cannot be too loose, but if it's not loose enough, it won't work neither.

And please keep in mind that this whole phase thing among the teenage feminine population is a fact. Ok ? a fact.
I don't know of any research on the subject but from my own experience and that of people around me i think that we all agree that there is a very good reason for this ad to target this way.
...
if they're going to cater to a specific group it would be a good idea for them to make commercials that don't offend those people. they could have just as easily said they have a burger for the newly vegetarian daughter in the family. besides, many people would eat it for health or taste reasons.
also, facts don't get made from your personal anecdotes. i've never met anyone who's vegetarianism was a teenage phase so i could just as easily say it's a "fact" that there's no such thing as a teenage vegetarian phase.
River likes this.
zirpkatze is offline  
#28 Old 06-17-2013, 11:23 PM
Veggie Regular
 
vegan cyberpunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Probably some airport
Posts: 1,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4everaspirit View Post

On another note. If you are so tired of all the criticism why are you criticizing those who wish to criticize?  wink3.gif

 

Touche ( with an accent on the e )

 

My comment is not specifically for you or even for the red guys, it is just that i see too much criticism, yes criticism is constructive per se but i am just tired of seeing veggies shooting at veggies or close enough.

 

My criticism is not so much towards those who criticize than it is a defense of those criticised.

 

@river supply = demand

because there is a demand, there is a supply, but because there is supply, there is growing demand

think about say pizzas, movies, snack bars, cola...

if everybody is drinking cola and you see cola ads, you will probably try cola either by yourself or because someone will share it with you ( note the insistance of some ads on making you share your stuff or as familly/friends stuff ), and if you like it you may become a customer yourself

 

that is from a product for product point of view

 

but products tend to be sold with a philosophy ( see naomi klein no logo, not so good so good but it does points some facts ), and vegetarianism is hard to beat there,

 of course one can have low expectations of a meat place advertising the veggie ideas ( health, compassion, ecology etc ),

 

but at the very least it does show to the customer that there is an alternative, and possibly a tasty one, the philosophy part, if you don't mind the word, coming from outside.

 

Red Robin here gives the Knowledge of the existance of an alternative, that it is actually good in terms of taste ( and that is still something new, still something that the immense majority ignores )

 

coupled with the cousin of the uncle of the sister in his familly who is a vegetarian and possibly a flash news about some discovery or some mad cow disease, or the veggie celebrity in a movie or on tv,

 

Red Robin does contribute, whatever the world scale, to promote not only a product to those who are already veggies but also to the spreading and rise of the dmande,

 

They are creating a demand.

 

It doesn't give them the right to push customers under a bus , but it gives them a right of both customers and veggies to be thankful and grateful and perhaps forgive them if they are not perfect. They might do it for money, but they are nevertheless going the way we want them to go.

 

@zirkpatze fair enough :-)



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
https://
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
https://www.autistici.org/en/index.html  https://riseup.net/en

https://pay.reddit.com/r/privacy/wiki/index

vegan cyberpunk is offline  
#29 Old 06-17-2013, 11:51 PM
Herbivorous Urchin
 
River's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 9,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by zirpkatze View Post

i think they missed the mark
i'd say it's about as relevant as your post describing what you like to eat there.
if they're going to cater to a specific group it would be a good idea for them to make commercials that don't offend those people. they could have just as easily said they have a burger for the newly vegetarian daughter in the family. besides, many people would eat it for health or taste reasons.
also, facts don't get made from your personal anecdotes. i've never met anyone who's vegetarianism was a teenage phase so i could just as easily say it's a "fact" that there's no such thing as a teenage vegetarian phase.

This. Stating something as fact does not make it so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegan cyberpunk View Post

Touche ( with an accent on the e )

My comment is not specifically for you or even for the red guys, it is just that i see too much criticism, yes criticism is constructive per se but i am just tired of seeing veggies shooting at veggies or close enough.

My criticism is not so much towards those who criticize than it is a defense of those criticised.

@river supply = demand
because there is a demand, there is a supply, but because there is supply, there is growing demand
think about say pizzas, movies, snack bars, cola...
if everybody is drinking cola and you see cola ads, you will probably try cola either by yourself or because someone will share it with you ( note the insistance of some ads on making you share your stuff or as familly/friends stuff ), and if you like it you may become a customer yourself

that is from a product for product point of view

but products tend to be sold with a philosophy ( see naomi klein no logo, not so good so good but it does points some facts ), and vegetarianism is hard to beat there,
 of course one can have low expectations of a meat place advertising the veggie ideas ( health, compassion, ecology etc ),

but at the very least it does show to the customer that there is an alternative, and possibly a tasty one, the philosophy part, if you don't mind the word, coming from outside.

Red Robin here gives the Knowledge of the existance of an alternative, that it is actually good in terms of taste ( and that is still something new, still something that the immense majority ignores )

coupled with the cousin of the uncle of the sister in his familly who is a vegetarian and possibly a flash news about some discovery or some mad cow disease, or the veggie celebrity in a movie or on tv,

Red Robin does contribute, whatever the world scale, to promote not only a product to those who are already veggies but also to the spreading and rise of the dmande,

They are creating a demand.

It doesn't give them the right to push customers under a bus , but it gives them a right of both customers and veggies to be thankful and grateful and perhaps forgive them if they are not perfect. They might do it for money, but they are nevertheless going the way we want them to go.

@zirkpatze fair enough :-)

They're really not though. Just because you say it doesn't make it so. In the four years I have been here and actively welcoming new members, nerry a one has thanked a burger joint for showing them the light.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
River is offline  
#30 Old 06-18-2013, 01:02 AM
Riot Nrrrd
 
Dave in MPLS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: St Cloud MN
Posts: 3,180

What folks see as humorous varies from person to person. I thought the joke was chuckle-worthy, but not super funny.  Didn't think it was offensive or meanspirited either, though. Shrug. Vive le differance.

 

Life experience varies too, which helps explain my more positive reaction I guess maybe. When I went veg it was  unimaginable that a burger joint like Red Robin would have anything vegetarian, let alone mention it in an ad.

 

Ya know, even if every vegetarian and vegan refused to set foot in   RR   they'd still have a pretty large market for veg product, being as the market for those products is pretty much dominated by meat reducers rather than  meat rejecters.


Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255
Dave in MPLS is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off