Vegetarian Calculator by Year - Calculate the positive impact you make by being vegetarian - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-15-2013, 03:30 PM
Super Moderator

http://vegetariancalculator.com/vegetarian-calculator-yearly
Quote:
Use this form to calculate the impact you have made by being a vegetarian. Vegetarians use less resources like water, food, oil, contribute less CO2 to the atmosphere, and animals are not killed for their consumption.

Raising livestock contribute more to global warming than automobiles, and is the second leading cause of global warming behind industrial pollution.

- See more at: http://vegetariancalculator.com/vegetarian-calculator-yearly#sthash.M4sKzOhP.dpuf

This is a fantastic resource! According to this by not eating meat for 12 years I have saved 2,424 animals and avoided releasing 19,305 Lbs of C02 into the atmosphere. carrot.gif

What are your stats?

Also for those who are just starting out there's a monthly calculator: http://vegetariancalculator.com/vegetarian-calculator-monthly
Aristede and Jennifer C like this.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-15-2013, 03:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Combined time, I've eaten a vegetarian diet for a year and one month (and plan to stick to a vegan one from here out).

I've saved: 219 animals

Didn't eat: 211 lbs of meat

Reduced my carbon footprint by: 1,743 lbs of CO2 emissions 

This is cool, WG! 

"Now listen, I know you've got to think about your image, 'cause image is important to you, because of course your friends are gonna dictate your actions through the rest of your lives, and I wouldn't want you to step away from them and become an individual, that would almost be too much!"...

#3 Old 06-15-2013, 04:00 PM
Veggie Regular

They allocate a hell of a lot of meat per month / year. I never ate that much meat; I don't know if it is a bad or good thing, but the stats for me would be way lower than that calculator's estimate!

The sky is purple and things are right every day

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-15-2013, 05:53 PM
Don't Eat Animals.

COOL!!!

606 animals saved so far!!! grin.gif

All animals should be respected & should have the ability to lead a natural & enjoyable life. This means not eating them, or abusing them in any way.
#5 Old 06-15-2013, 05:57 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

How many animals you saved: 2,424
How many lbs of meat you didn't eat: 2,340
Lbs of CO2 not released into the atmosphere: 19,305

Nice :-D

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#6 Old 06-15-2013, 06:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'IckenNoodleSoup View Post

They allocate a hell of a lot of meat per month / year. I never ate that much meat; I don't know if it is a bad or good thing, but the stats for me would be way lower than that calculator's estimate!

Same here ~ 98lbs of meat over 6 months?  I'm not sure I've eaten that amount over 6 years!

#7 Old 06-16-2013, 05:34 AM
Siv
Veggie Regular

There was a thread years ago where a member wrote a script to do the same thing but splitting out the average types of animals and also a picture of what that looks like.

The answer for me is very different - 2,121 on the new calc vs 927 on the old so perhaps they are using different data sets - I'm certainly not the average American so I am inclined to believe the lower number. Anyway, here's what 927 looks like:

#8 Old 06-16-2013, 10:14 AM
Veggie Regular

The vegetarian calculator data is USDA 2008 average american consumption of meat

The wonder script is PETA 2006 estimates including not only meat but also dairy and eggs

Can't edit out this following stupid triple link ( ??? ) sorry

The data is based on the amount of meat the average American consumed in 2008 according to the USDA - See more at: http://vegetariancalculator.com/vegetarian-calculator-yearly#sthash.M4sKzOhP.4YwgZ7Mq.dpuf
The data is based on the amount of meat the average American consumed in 2008 according to the USDA - See more at: http://vegetariancalculator.com/vegetarian-calculator-yearly#sthash.M4sKzOhP.4YwgZ7Mq.dpuf

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
https://
https://www.autistici.org/en/index.html  https://riseup.net/en

https://pay.reddit.com/r/privacy/wiki/index

#9 Old 09-29-2013, 09:44 PM

Hello!
I'm the web designer who setup vegetariancalculator.com.
I was just going to say that in the calculation of number of animals it includes about 50% animals from the sea like shrimp, sardines, fish, etc. Sometimes people eat 12 or so animals in one sitting if they have a plate of shrimp or can of sardines.The amount of sea food people eat varies a lot depending on where they live, but the calculator is based on average over the entire US.

The calculator doesn't include things people buy that contains animal products, like dog food, animal food, and leather goods.

Also I would like to setup a similar site: vegancalculator.com, but don't have reliable statistics. Does anyone know sources I can use to calculate the difference a vegan makes?

Werewolf Girl and Purp like this.
#10 Old 09-29-2013, 10:06 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

Awww, I've saved 808 animals!! That's amazing =O And that's just vegetarian wise.

I don't know, Robert ._. But it seems like a cool idea! I think vegans would save more animals because they aren't supporting the egg and dairy industries which ultimately kill animals too.

Robert Stigers likes this.

"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy
#11 Old 09-29-2013, 11:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Stigers View Post

Hello!
I'm the web designer who setup vegetariancalculator.com.
I was just going to say that in the calculation of number of animals it includes about 50% animals from the sea like shrimp, sardines, fish, etc. Sometimes people eat 12 or so animals in one sitting if they have a plate of shrimp or can of sardines.The amount of sea food people eat varies a lot depending on where they live, but the calculator is based on average over the entire US.

The calculator doesn't include things people buy that contains animal products, like dog food, animal food, and leather goods.

Also I would like to setup a similar site: vegancalculator.com, but don't have reliable statistics. Does anyone know sources I can use to calculate the difference a vegan makes?

The vego calculator that I've seen uses this-

http://faostat.fao.org/site/569/DesktopDefault.aspx?PageID=569#ancor

It's basically the UN's numbers on slaughterings per year. I use it for my friends, so they can see how many in OUR country are slaughtered (American stats are fine, but not the same as Aussie ones, though don't worry....we're getting there :S). You might be able to find some relevant statistics from it, I think they include bees in their study but I'm unsure. Other than that, I usually try to go to the bureau of statistics here in Australia, or even industry websites, which usually have some of the numbers you'd be looking for.

I tried to find some numbers on Bobby calves for you, the accepted number here in Australia is around 800 thousand, but there's no industry statistics backing that up, it's only really what Animal Rights and Welfare groups are saying (though, no one is disputing it....). I suppose what you could do, is approach one of these groups and ask them where they got their numbers from. Two of the groups I go to for information here (Voiceless and Animals Australia) actually list where they got the information from, but they don't seem to have it for the dairy industry.

Best of luck doing a vegan one!

#12 Old 09-30-2013, 02:06 AM

101 for me since going vegan which I think will be slightly higher without egg and dairy. 3434 for my wife!!! Staggering number!!
Werewolf Girl likes this.
#13 Old 09-30-2013, 04:06 AM
Impeach the gangster

In 20-years-

4040 animals saved

32175 lbs. of CO2 saved

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
#14 Old 10-09-2013, 12:27 PM

I think this is an incredibly motivating and inspirational tool! For me, it made me understand how much one person can make a difference. For all those time I've been told that by just me being vegetarian I am not changing anything. The next time someone tells me that I can tell them how many animals I have saved (approximatly).

9 Months and 152 animals so far! 

Just because we can, doesn't mean we should.

Just because we always have, doesn't mean we always have to.

Once we KNOW better, we should DO better.

~Colleen Patrick-Goudreau

#15 Old 10-09-2013, 04:17 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by calleyarc View Post

I think this is an incredibly motivating and inspirational tool! For me, it made me understand how much one person can make a difference. For all those time I've been told that by just me being vegetarian I am not changing anything. The next time someone tells me that I can tell them how many animals I have saved (approximatly).

9 Months and 152 animals so far! 

That's awesome! You rock. rockon.gif

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#16 Old 10-11-2013, 04:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Im about to try this right now
#17 Old 10-11-2013, 05:04 AM
Veggie Regular

How many animals you saved: 405,212
How many lbs of meat you didn't eat: 391,170
Lbs of CO2 not released into the atmosphere: 3,227,153

This is mine.
#18 Old 10-11-2013, 05:57 AM
Beginner

Saved: 6,060 animals

Lbs of meat not eaten: 5,850

Lbs of CO2 not released in atmosphere: 48,263

Not bad, eh?

Vegetarian since October 1983
#19 Old 10-11-2013, 12:44 PM
Super Moderator

Woohoo, I love seeing everyone's results! carrot.gif

#20 Old 10-14-2013, 10:22 AM
Beginner

Here's mine!

How many animals you saved: 2,828
How many lbs of meat you didn't eat: 2,730
Lbs of CO2 not released into the atmosphere: 22,523

^_^

#21 Old 10-14-2013, 01:39 PM

Khadijah you have been vegetarian for over 2000 years?

That's a great effort!
#22 Old 10-17-2013, 10:07 AM
Zelda Freak

Cool resource!

I've been vegetarian for 19 years of my life, plus vegan for 1. 

My stats:

• How many animals you saved: 4,040
  • How many lbs of meat you didn't eat: 3,900
  • Lbs of CO2 not released into the atmosphere: 32,175

Wow. I'm awesome. 

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:

+

* Find me:
+
+

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page