Ever been tricked at a restaurant? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes

#1 Old 05-14-2013, 02:25 PM
Zelda Freak

Just saw this article about Moochie's in Utah and some guy says they served him a "vegetarian" sandwich countless times before he found out that the sandwich had sauce on it that was also used to cook meatballs.

Which made me wonder if anyone here has ever knowingly been tricked at a restaurant - tricked into eating meat that is... I don't think I have, but you know, it's hard to be sure. 

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 +

* Find me:
+
+
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-14-2013, 02:36 PM
Super Moderator

Wow! What a dickish response!

Really proves again that not only do you need to ask, but ask specifics. How could they think they were being honest if they called it "marinara"? Doesn't that automatically exclude meat? Yes. Merrian Webster agrees- it's a tomato sauce made with garlic, onion and spices.

I really don't trust people. Servers are often busy enough, and really don't know, although they should.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#3 Old 05-14-2013, 02:41 PM
Zelda Freak

Yeah, you're not wrong. If I hear marinara, I do expect that it will be meatless. I find it odd they don't. 

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:

+

* Find me:
+
+
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-14-2013, 03:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Quite a few times I have yes. Getting served beans with beef after I said I was vegetarian. Eating a vegetable soup with chicken in it after I asked if it was vegetarian.

Also, one time I was getting served a boil of letuce, yes literally a boil of letuce with nothing else in it after I asked a salad and mentioned that I didn't want meat in it.

#5 Old 05-14-2013, 03:20 PM
Don't Eat Animals.

I specifically ask........"Is there any meat in it?"

When I've ordered veggie tacos / burritos at Chipotle, with pinto beans, they have said that the beans have a small amount of meat in them. So I got black beans. That was very cool.  sunny.gif

All animals should be respected & should have the ability to lead a natural & enjoyable life. This means not eating them, or abusing them in any way.
#6 Old 05-14-2013, 03:44 PM

I can't think of a time I've been deliberately tricked, but I've been served meat lots of times after explicitly ordering a vegetarian dish - I always make a point to say it and sometimes I feel bad and like I'm patronising people but clearly not enough because they still fail on a fairly regular basis! Since going vegan I've been served honey in a drink after clearly asking for no honey and butter in my potato after asking. Nobody cared.

I've had ham and pineapple instead of red onion and pineapple pizza, random bits of bacon in an otherwise veggie dish etc. The worst in recent memory happened in a hotel abroad AFTER raising the issue of being vegetarian in advance with the head chef because we were wrongly served meat. So the next night I ask the chef at a buffet station what's in a tart and he assures me there is NO MEAT. I was not happy to sink my teeth into a piece of chicken, in fact I cried afterwards (does that make me weird? I was really upset). The next night, after getting the hotel manager on the case, the exact same thing happened to my mother. Yeah...maybe I won't go back there.

Sorry, I could ramble on about instances like that for hours.

#7 Old 05-14-2013, 03:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Never deliberately, but I once split a muffin in a coffee shop with a friend who was also vegetarian, and didn't find out until we were eating it that ham was baked in. The barista was very apologetic about it, she hadn't thought to mention the presence of ham and they were just labelled as muffins.

#8 Old 05-14-2013, 03:52 PM

I was at a family reunion in South Carolina once (5 years ago when I wasn't gluten free but newly vegetarian), and we went to a place called Flo's in Barefoot Landing. The ONLY vegetarian thing on the menu ("vegetarian") was a side of green beans... so I ordered it cause I didn't want to be rude and just not eat anything. When they brought it out I looked in the little bowl and saw a weird black substance broken into bits mixed in with the green beans. Turns out they were actually chunks of cooked bacon. :( I didn't even complain, but I just didn't eat it after I took the first lick. 

#9 Old 05-14-2013, 05:29 PM
Veggie Regular

These stories are why I don't go out to eat anymore. I tried a few times but I just don't trust people anymore. It used to be a pleasure but now I would be constantly examining every bit of food before it went in my mouth. If you eat out how do you know the wait staff is being truthful or just saying what you want to hear?
#10 Old 05-14-2013, 05:38 PM
Zelda Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by affidavit View Post

Never deliberately, but I once split a muffin in a coffee shop with a friend who was also vegetarian, and didn't find out until we were eating it that ham was baked in. The barista was very apologetic about it, she hadn't thought to mention the presence of ham and they were just labelled as muffins.

Ham! In a muffin? That's weird. 

Once (when I was vegetarian) I ordered a cheese and tomato pizza and when it came it had pepperoni instead of tomato. But the guy had already taken off :(  After that I started checking pizzas religiously  before the delivery guy took off. More a mistake than a trick, but... lame all the same. 

Now I don't eat much pizza since going vegan so it's a moot point. 

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:

+

* Find me:
+
+
#11 Old 05-14-2013, 05:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Huckleberry- My town has really awesome veg*n restaurants and options, I love eating out here. I'm a little worried about moving. The bad experience was at a brand new cafe in my old town.

Jennifer- a thing in my area is salmon and cheese muffins. Blurgh. I get the savoury part but meat baked in my bread? Noooo. Especially not fishy smelly meat. The weirdness is also why we didn't think to ask, neither of us had heard of such a thing.

#12 Old 05-15-2013, 02:48 AM

Italian restaurant on Sat and the menu said - pasta with tomatoes, herbs and vegetables.

I thought that seemed ok so when I ordered I asked if the pasta came with any cheese as I do not eat any dairy products. He said no just Tom, herbs and vegetables.

When it arrived the sauce was mainly cream with a tinge of pink which I assumed was the tomato.

I didn't complain either, I just left it. The three course meal only cost £4.99 so it was always going to be ****ty!
#13 Old 05-15-2013, 03:26 AM
Veggie Regular

I haven't had an issue....yet.

I know it's only a matter of time. People must think my partner and I are nuts, but the moment we get a meal, we start sifting through it to see if we can find meat. Even if we're told it's vegan.

On a similar topic, anyone else see this? I'm not sure if it's already been posted up, but this is my absolute WORST fear. (If this hasn't made it to the boards yet, please, someone post it up in the appropriate part of the forum).

Whole Foods had a mis-label with their vegan chicken salad (eek!)
http://www.latimes.com/features/food/dailydish/la-dd-whole-foods-vegan-chicken-salad-recall-20130510,0,3399209.story

#14 Old 05-15-2013, 07:09 AM
Zelda Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy85 View Post

Italian restaurant on Sat and the menu said - pasta with tomatoes, herbs and vegetables.

I thought that seemed ok so when I ordered I asked if the pasta came with any cheese as I do not eat any dairy products. He said no just Tom, herbs and vegetables.

When it arrived the sauce was mainly cream with a tinge of pink which I assumed was the tomato.

I didn't complain either, I just left it. The three course meal only cost £4.99 so it was always going to be ****ty!

Oh man. Cream - cheese, you know people don't think they're the same. 

What irks me is cheese on salad. I did used to eat cheese - melted on stuff - before going vegan but uncooked cheese ALWAYS grossed me out. Why so many places put it on salads I'll never know. Cheese is NOT a vegetable people! It doesn't belong on a salad. I forget to ask about it all the time too, so I'm continually having to send salads covered in gross cheese shreds back. 

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:

+

* Find me:
+
+
#15 Old 05-15-2013, 10:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer C View Post

Oh man. Cream - cheese, you know people don't think they're the same. 

What irks me is cheese on salad. I did used to eat cheese - melted on stuff - before going vegan but uncooked cheese ALWAYS grossed me out. Why so many places put it on salads I'll never know. Cheese is NOT a vegetable people! It doesn't belong on a salad. I forget to ask about it all the time too, so I'm continually having to send salads covered in gross cheese shreds back. 

I lived in an outback community for about a year....

They had a thing called 'Cheese slaw'. It's like Coleslaw, but with cheese. So, basically, all it looked like was shredded carrot and cheese....I never tried it.

#16 Old 05-15-2013, 10:04 PM
Zelda Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Lilly View Post

I lived in an outback community for about a year....

They had a thing called 'Cheese slaw'. It's like Coleslaw, but with cheese. So, basically, all it looked like was shredded carrot and cheese....I never tried it.

That's pretty much my nightmare and the worst food idea I've ever heard of. I honestly would rather be forced to eat meat than this I think. Hopefully neither though. Ugh!

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:

+

* Find me:
+
+
#17 Old 05-15-2013, 10:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, even as the die hard meat eater that I was back then, I was pretty turned off by the whole deal. (I like cold cheese!)

Even if it had occurred to me to go vegetarian, I don't think I would have been able to it in that community. There just wouldn't have been many, if any, vegetarian options.

Though, I've noticed that in a lot of Australian restaurants. Everything tends to have meat in it (and vegan? Forget about it!).

The city isn't too bad, we have a few vegan and vegetarian options at certain places. But country areas aren't great at all. Though, I saw a marked increase a little while after our Live Export scandals. So, there's hope for change.

#18 Old 05-17-2013, 11:32 PM

after newly becoming a vegetarian i went for dinner at my parents house. my mom has this special (to us) dish she made that we used to love called 'chicken devon'. it's basically chicken and broccoli in a creamy curry sauce baked with cheese.

My mom made a smaller dish just for me with only broccoli and sauce. it was so good!!

then the next time i had gone over and helped her prepare it... she takes out a can of cream of chicken soup to make the sauce... *facepalm*

a couple times i've ordered a ceasar salad at restaurants and forgotten some places put bacon on it :(

#19 Old 05-18-2013, 07:41 AM

I really have The Fear about this! People are so weird about veggies, it wouldn't surprise me if there were some nasty people out there who would deliberately contaminate veggie mealsrolleyes.gif Scary stuff.

As for the article, wow...nice to know they were so concerned about his complaint! brood.gif I think that is horrifying.  And very disappointing.

#20 Old 05-18-2013, 07:53 AM
Zelda Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndstar View Post

after newly becoming a vegetarian i went for dinner at my parents house. my mom has this special (to us) dish she made that we used to love called 'chicken devon'. it's basically chicken and broccoli in a creamy curry sauce baked with cheese.

My mom made a smaller dish just for me with only broccoli and sauce. it was so good!!

then the next time i had gone over and helped her prepare it... she takes out a can of cream of chicken soup to make the sauce... *facepalm*

a couple times i've ordered a ceasar salad at restaurants and forgotten some places put bacon on it :(

Oh no - often non-veg family members don't think stuff has meat if it's not like an actual hunk of meat.

One thing - almost all brands of Caesar Salad dressings contain Anchovy Paste - so I'd stay clear of all Caesar Salads unless you make it yourself. 

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:

+

* Find me:
+
+
#21 Old 05-18-2013, 09:16 AM
Veggie Regular

A very similar thing happened to me about 15 years ago at a small local restaurant with their pasta "marinara."

slops, gloops, and gruels.
#22 Old 05-18-2013, 09:39 PM
Veggie Regular

I never got marinara as a cooked-food vegan without asking what was in it.  I'm surprised you guys don't ask!  Be careful.  Once I was told that marinating or boiling the sauce with an animals' bone made the sauce so good and I was missing out.  LOL

#23 Old 05-19-2013, 02:07 PM

I don't think I've intentionally been tricked, but I once ordered an eggplant panini, only to realize it was chicken after I bit into it. The place was really apologetic though and didn't charge me for either. I wasn't happy that I had eaten a little bit of chicken, but I tried not to make a big deal out of it since it was a mistake. Another time I got pasta salad (that I knew was vegetarian) at a deli, but a little piece of chicken from another salad made it in. I just threw the chicken away. But I would be furious if I knew that a place was intentionally serving me meat after I requested it be vegetarian. 

#24 Old 05-21-2013, 10:05 AM

last night i met up with my parents for dinner at a new greek restaurant in town. amazingly our waitress was one we liked from another restaurant we've been to lots (didn't even know she changed jobs!)  i think having some history with a waitress definitely helps! we were deciding what to get and they had a platter with a bunch of different greek foods, and some were vegetarian. when i brought that up with our waitress she let me know that the rice had beef stock in it and the potatoes also came into contact with lamb/beef stock. she even put the veggie stuff on a separate plate just for me and had asked the kitchen not to cross contaminate :)

Jennifer C and Jasminedesi16 like this.
#25 Old 05-21-2013, 10:55 PM

One time I was taking someone out for their birthday a couple of years ago.We decided to get chinese food because that was their favorite and I thought I wouldn't have too much of a problem finding something vegan.I decided to order the vegetable mei fun which I guessed was supposed to be like fun chow but since it was the vegetable kind I didn't think it would have egg.When it got to the table it was loaded with eggs.But that was kind of my fault cause I knew the real fun chow has eggs.Just because it says vegetable doesn't necessarily mean only vegetable.I still ate it cause at the time I was cheating every three months or so by eating fastfood burgers.

#26 Old 05-23-2013, 11:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny79 View Post

I never got marinara as a cooked-food vegan without asking what was in it.  I'm surprised you guys don't ask!  Be careful.  Once I was told that marinating or boiling the sauce with an animals' bone made the sauce so good and I was missing out.  LOL

The crazy thing is, I did ask, a couple different times, if the sauce contained meat. the only way I found out that they were using meat "juices" in their sauce was when a small chunk of beef found its way in. Their excuse was that they didn't realize meat broth was meat.

slops, gloops, and gruels.
#27 Old 05-23-2013, 02:42 PM

Went to a chain restaurant and ordered green beans when the waitress assured me that that it didn't have bacon or other meat in it. Didn't see any when I ate it so I believed her. Went to the same restaurant in another town a couple weeks later and ordered the green beans. Luckily, I thought to ask again about it containing meat and she indicated that it definitely did and the other waitress had "lied" to me. Have not been back.
#28 Old 05-23-2013, 03:24 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by peace View Post

The crazy thing is, I did ask, a couple different times, if the sauce contained meat. the only way I found out that they were using meat "juices" in their sauce was when a small chunk of beef found its way in. Their excuse was that they didn't realize meat broth was meat.

Yep. I also always ask.

I'd been told there was no meat in the sauce at Subway. I could see her push aside the MEATBALLS before spooning it up! furious.gif.

When I told her she said there was no meat she replied that there was no meat in it, the meatballs just get cooked in it! inquisitive.gif

That's why I just don't trust people. To her, and I feel she being completely honest, the fact that the meat could be removed instead of like ground meat sauce made it vegetarian. Some people do think meat broth is vegetarian as long as the meat isn't left in.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#29 Old 05-23-2013, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post

Yep. I also always ask.

I'd been told there was no meat in the sauce at Subway. I could see her push aside the MEATBALLS before spooning it up! furious.gif.

When I told her she said there was no meat she replied that there was no meat in it, the meatballs just get cooked in it! inquisitive.gif

That's why I just don't trust people. To her, and I feel she being completely honest, the fact that the meat could be removed instead of like ground meat sauce made it vegetarian. Some people do think meat broth is vegetarian as long as the meat isn't left in.

I've had people say that too. "Just pick out the meat" or "eat around it". They are usually well meaning too, and just not thinking. 

I went to a Japanese restaurant a few weeks ago that had literally not one vegetarian item on the menu. I wouldn't have gone but it was for a retirement party for a family member so I had to. I asked if they had a vegetarian option and they said they could make just the vegetables. It was one of the restaurants where they cook in front of you, and I was surprised that he actually cooked my vegetables first and not with the other vegetables (they usually make the vegetable side dish at the same time as the meat and it can mix). I just thought it was funny that a place that had nothing vegetarian on the menu was more conscious of it than some places that say they have plenty of options. 

#30 Old 05-23-2013, 10:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by erika20 View Post

I've had people say that too. "Just pick out the meat" or "eat around it". They are usually well meaning too, and just not thinking. 

I went to a Japanese restaurant a few weeks ago that had literally not one vegetarian item on the menu. I wouldn't have gone but it was for a retirement party for a family member so I had to. I asked if they had a vegetarian option and they said they could make just the vegetables. It was one of the restaurants where they cook in front of you, and I was surprised that he actually cooked my vegetables first and not with the other vegetables (they usually make the vegetable side dish at the same time as the meat and it can mix). I just thought it was funny that a place that had nothing vegetarian on the menu was more conscious of it than some places that say they have plenty of options. 

That's really cool!

Japanese cooking is great, but they do tend to use a lot of 'fishy' stuff. I'm surprised they didn't have 'any' vegetarian dishes on the menu for you.
We have a sushi place who does something similar for us, with tempura vegetable rolls. It's lovely.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page