Ever been tricked at a restaurant? - Page 3 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes

#61 Old 09-23-2014, 11:07 PM

I've had dreams of being tricked into eating meat several times. 3 months standing strong! <3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 Old 09-24-2014, 03:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTASFAB View Post
I'm allergic to both cruelty and stupidity. This combination makes it difficult for me to exist in our universe.
Hey, don't include the universe in this... Its mostly Earth.
#63 Old 09-24-2014, 04:09 PM
No flesh since 99'

Twice I've had that happen, but neither time was deliberate or deceptive. Once we ordered a spinach dip that had bacon. I had not eaten bacon in so long, I in some way recognized it tasted funny after a few bites, and my husband tried it and said there was bacon (my fault for assuming spinach dip would be vegetarian). Then there was a time I ordered something without chicken, but the wires must've got crossed in the back because the kitchen ended up adding extra chicken. I didn't eat any, it was pretty clear there was a whole lot of chicken on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#64 Old 09-24-2014, 07:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTASFAB View Post
I'm allergic to both cruelty and stupidity. This combination makes it difficult for me to exist in our universe.
An allergy to water would be less inconvenient.
Kiwibird08 likes this.
#65 Old 09-25-2014, 08:26 AM
Meat Free Since Dec 2013!

We have a small deli-type restaurant in the building where I work. Sometimes if the weather is bad or if I'm being lazy, I'll go there - but vegetarian options are VERY limited. There's a salad bar, but I have to be really careful what I choose from it - lots of cross-contamination, etc. Occasionally, as a lacto-ovo, I'll order a grilled cheese sandwich with tomato. I can get it on a multi-grain bread and it's not too bad. Recently I went to the restaurant early - before any meat paninis had hit the grill! I knew the grill was clean when I ordered my grilled cheese. I took it back to my office and unwrapped it -- only to find that an inch-thick stack of HAM had been added to the sandwich! So gross! I dumped it and ate a protein bar from my desk instead. I did mention it to the owner of the deli and she very kindly allowed me to substitute any meal of my choice (I chose salad) and reprimanded the employees. Also, I've noticed she is beginning to add vegetarian soups to the rotation and now offers a veggie sandwich. Progress! At least she was willing to try!
Kiwibird08 likes this.
#66 Old 09-25-2014, 09:34 AM
No flesh since 99'

Quote:
Originally Posted by coexist52 View Post
I knew the grill was clean when I ordered my grilled cheese. I took it back to my office and unwrapped it -- only to find that an inch-thick stack of HAM had been added to the sandwich!
Not sure how they could have confused "grilled cheese" with "extra ham", but yikes thats a pretty glaring mistake!

I don't eat out very much and don't know many names for the "fancy" varieties of meat. At a small deli once there was a sandwich that had at least 3 or 4 types of cheese I recognized, and another thing I assumed was some kind of fancy cheese called "prosciutto". I was shocked and horrified when i got a sandwich full of some kind of deli meat. My husband almost died laughing and since it wasn't the restaurants fault, he took it home to eat later and I got a salad. I will never assume I know what an ingredient is again though!
#67 Old 09-25-2014, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
Just tell em you are dangerously allergic to meat, that way they will be extra sure to not serve you any meat as they will be worried about lawsuits (and their jobs).
That's a very good idea, although I'd use the term "intolerant" instead of "allergic". That would make the claim honest and do more to ensure you get a meat-free meal than if you say you're a vegetarian/vegan.

-
I've never been tricked at a restaurant on purpose. The issues I've had come from staff having a different understanding as to what meat is. For some reason, many people don't consider fish and "seafood" to be meat, some don't even think poultry is, and others think meat stock isn't meat. I think this is due to genuine confusion and misunderstanding rather than a disregard for others' principles and want of money.
#68 Old 09-25-2014, 04:23 PM
Veggie Regular

I had a waitress try to convince me that their caesar salad was vegetarian (back before I went vegan)...Yeah, it wasn't. It had parmesan and of course, anchovies! She tried to flat out tell me that fish were vegetarian. ((I didn't end up ordering the salad-- I knew better))

I have also been lead to believe that a veggie burger (only option that I could eat- I was assured it was vegetarian) was OK to eat (ingredients of the burger and sauce were fine)- yet I woke up with bad stomach cramps and looked the restaurant up further to find that they generally cook the meat and veggie burgers on the same surface with the same tools. Yuck. Thinking back, it did taste weird for a veggie burger. Needless to say, I didn't go there again.

I have used the "intolerant/allergic" phrase before when I am concerned that I am not being understood/taken seriously. Never fails.
#69 Old 09-26-2014, 10:17 AM
Super Moderator

I'm a server and I work at a very vegetarian friendly restaurant. I really think most servers just don't know ingredients, which I can't blame them for because the information typically isn't easily accessible. I'm shocked at how many times our own kitchen managers have given me false information (never on purpose) I'm the "go to" person when any server has a vegetarian or vegan at their table.

I've been given wrong information before at restaurants and ended up super sick. I wish more restaurants had all of their ingredients listed on their website. California Pizza Kitchen is awesome about this, they even have a page of what's lacto-vegetarian, what's ova veg, vegan, etc.

#70 Old 11-03-2014, 06:21 PM

This is a helpful thread that will help warn others of the stunts that restaurants pull to save a buck. I was recently at national sandwhich restaurant chain and ordered the vegetable soup, I figured easy enough, water, seasoning, and vegetables. To my suprise I did find a few bits of chicken pieces in the broth. Was hesitant to speak to the manager at first but realized that I was misled and can affect others. I spoke to him about the situation and he did admit they did use a chicken based broth for the soup. I explained to him that this can be considered misleading and can affect peoples diets. He was very understanding and offered a compimentary meal for my family in the future. I could live with that
#71 Old 11-03-2014, 07:26 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by folsomjulie View Post
This is a helpful thread that will help warn others of the stunts that restaurants pull to save a buck. I was recently at national sandwhich restaurant chain and ordered the vegetable soup, I figured easy enough, water, seasoning, and vegetables. To my suprise I did find a few bits of chicken pieces in the broth. Was hesitant to speak to the manager at first but realized that I was misled and can affect others. I spoke to him about the situation and he did admit they did use a chicken based broth for the soup. I explained to him that this can be considered misleading and can affect peoples diets. He was very understanding and offered a compimentary meal for my family in the future. I could live with that
I don't think they're trying to be misleading, french onion soup is typically made with animal broth too. If it doesn't say vegetarian in the title, it most likely isn't. I only get soups from 3 places: vegetarian/vegan restaurants, my work (our tomato soup is vegetarian), and Panera (they label properly).

#72 Old 11-03-2014, 07:45 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by folsomjulie View Post
Did you assume it was meat free, or did you ask and were told it was meat free?
So many things I would have never made with meat broths others use meat broths for. Bean soups, vegetable soups, lentil...
danakscully64 likes this.
#73 Old 11-04-2014, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator

As a vegetarian I learned never to assume. It will save you being sick sometimes!

#74 Old 11-04-2014, 06:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndstar View Post
after newly becoming a vegetarian i went for dinner at my parents house. my mom has this special (to us) dish she made that we used to love called 'chicken devon'. it's basically chicken and broccoli in a creamy curry sauce baked with cheese.
My mom made a smaller dish just for me with only broccoli and sauce. it was so good!!
then the next time i had gone over and helped her prepare it... she takes out a can of cream of chicken soup to make the sauce... *facepalm*

a couple times i've ordered a ceasar salad at restaurants and forgotten some places put bacon on it
Uhhh, quick tip: Ceasear dressing usually has anchovies(fish) in it.
danakscully64 likes this.
#75 Old 11-05-2014, 03:38 AM

I doubt it was intentional as they told me about it (and apologised profusely), but I have been served a dish that should have been vegan, with meat.

A friend and I were out, and I ordered the vegetable spring rolls (they also had chicken spring rolls and shrimp spring rolls). I tasted something odd when I first took a bite, and asked the waitress. She assured me they were the vegetable ones. I didn't like the taste of something in them so didn't finish them (my friend did). Then, I get told they were the chicken ones.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page