Ever been tricked at a restaurant? - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes

#31 Old 05-27-2013, 08:36 AM

I've definitely been tricked before. I used to order a Cream of Broccoli soup all the time and turns out that they were using chicken stock even though on the menu it had a green V next to it. Know how I found out? I had a new server that day and before I ordered it she overheard me talking about vegetarian choices to my friend who has never been there before and then when I ordered the soup she said "just so you know, I'm a vegetarian as well and I wouldn't eat that if I were you. They use chicken stock, it's disgraceful" so I thanked her for letting me know but I was really irritated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 05-27-2013, 08:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiesfordays View Post

I've definitely been tricked before. I used to order a Cream of Broccoli soup all the time and turns out that they were using chicken stock even though on the menu it had a green V next to it. Know how I found out? I had a new server that day and before I ordered it she overheard me talking about vegetarian choices to my friend who has never been there before and then when I ordered the soup she said "just so you know, I'm a vegetarian as well and I wouldn't eat that if I were you. They use chicken stock, it's disgraceful" so I thanked her for letting me know but I was really irritated.

Well at least it's nice of the new server to let you know.

#33 Old 05-27-2013, 10:04 AM
Veggie Regular

Many Indian restaurants serve Vegan dishes and have a large menu to choose from .... I usually stay away from restaurants that I do not know if I am with friends at lets say an Italian restaurant I order a house salad which contains no meat and with oil and vingar on the side and Italian bread which I dip in olive oil seasoned with herbs ....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 05-27-2013, 06:17 PM
Zelda Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by erika20 View Post

I've had people say that too. "Just pick out the meat" or "eat around it". They are usually well meaning too, and just not thinking. 

I hate that. It's like telling someone who doesn't like a specific veggie that they should just pick it out - like onions or mushrooms which tend to flavor a whole dish so you can't really pick it out 100%. Same with meat, but many people don't see it that way. 

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 +

* Find me:
+
+
#35 Old 06-02-2013, 01:52 PM
Don't Eat Animals.

I just went out to eat and ordered EGGPLANT PARMESAN.  When my food came, it looked delicious.  A mound of eggplant, cheese, and bright red sauce.  I cut into it, and the eggplant looked different.  I got real close and noticed that it was CHICKEN.  Great.  I called the waiter over & explained that I ordered EGGPLANT, not chicken.  He was a bit over worked, and replaced it immediately.  Gotta be careful.  thumbsup.gif

All animals should be respected & should have the ability to lead a natural & enjoyable life. This means not eating them, or abusing them in any way.
#36 Old 06-03-2013, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath View Post

So the next night I ask the chef at a buffet station what's in a tart and he assures me there is NO MEAT. I was not happy to sink my teeth into a piece of chicken, in fact I cried afterwards (does that make me weird? I was really upset). 

It doesn't make you weird. I would cry too!

#37 Old 06-03-2013, 03:37 AM

I've been served a vegetarian pizza with chicken on it. I think the guy was just throwing ingredients onto the base without thinking because that's what it looked like. I never really liked that pizza place anyway. I just ordered one because I was with my family. They apologised and replaced the pizza. I try to avoid this place when I can. Even the non veg pizzas aren't that good.

I also got chicken quesedillas when I specifically ordered the veg option :/

#38 Old 06-03-2013, 04:28 AM
Veggie Regular

At a wedding so sad a bloody prime rib placed in front of me :'( of corse by mistake ..... When I get married it will be a Veg*n wedding! smiley.gif
#39 Old 06-03-2013, 01:38 PM

I've been caught/tricked like this a number of times :( - and of course I have learned to be more careful. However I note that, as said earlier, staff claim 'no meat' if there aren't chunks in the sauce, that vegetable soups often have chicken broth as the stock, that many people don't think chicken or bacon counts as 'meat' which to them means beef or maybe just maybe pork, that eating fish is okay for vegetarians and perhaps even vegans (since it's not what they call 'meat', and that 'what you don't know won't hurt you.' Only thing to do is to 'train' wait staff and chefs to leave the non-veg ingredients strictly out of anything they make for you (only works if they're making each order from scratch imho), but it's extra difficult if you're trying to get a meal away from your usual beat. Total sympathy. I've been veg for years and years (with occasional backsliding, I admit), and it never gets easier when eating away from my own home. Great thread!!!! Thanks :)

Jennifer C likes this.
#40 Old 06-08-2013, 08:46 PM
Veggie Regular

I can't recall an instance of being purposely tricked at restaurants. I ask many questions at restaurants about what I'm ordering and what accommodations can be made. I like the honesty of waiters who tell me whether something can be made vegan or not and really appreciate it when they go ask the cooks or chefs my questions. I find that many mistakes in kitchens are due to lack of knowledge rather than deception or malice. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer C View Post

I hate that. It's like telling someone who doesn't like a specific veggie that they should just pick it out - like onions or mushrooms which tend to flavor a whole dish so you can't really pick it out 100%. Same with meat, but many people don't see it that way. 

I agree, Jennifer. I remember when I was not vegetarian, a group of friends and I were having some food before a night of clubbing. One of our friends was a vegetarian (of Indian/Pakistani origin) and another friend ordered bacon and cheese potato skins. Then said friend tried to offer the dish to the vegetarian and the vegetarian said that she couldn't eat it (of course). The other friend then said, "Just pick off the bacon." This alarmed the vegetarian friend, no only because she was suggested to eat meat, but even more so because it was suggested that she eat pork.

"Now listen, I know you've got to think about your image, 'cause image is important to you, because of course your friends are gonna dictate your actions through the rest of your lives, and I wouldn't want you to step away from them and become an individual, that would almost be too much!"...

#41 Old 06-09-2013, 01:22 PM

I had this experience yesterday at Panera Bread. I ordered a strawberry type salad which usually comes with chicken. When I ordered it I asked if the chicken could be left out. When it came the chicken had been left on so the server took it back. A few minutes later I had a new salad. It wasn't until I was almost done that I noticed a piece of chicken in it. And here I was thinking they had made me a whole new salad instead of just picking the chicken out. Disappointing!
#42 Old 06-09-2013, 01:24 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowdolphin View Post

I had this experience yesterday at Panera Bread. I ordered a strawberry type salad which usually comes with chicken. When I ordered it I asked if the chicken could be left out. When it came the chicken had been left on so the server took it back. A few minutes later I had a new salad. It wasn't until I was almost done that I noticed a piece of chicken in it. And here I was thinking they had made me a whole new salad instead of just picking the chicken out. Disappointing!
Sorry that happened to you. Did you tell them about it? They might have comped your salad.
#43 Old 06-09-2013, 04:26 PM

I didn't even think of saying anything but I will speak up next time. Thanks

#44 Old 06-09-2013, 06:12 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:

I didn't even think of saying anything but I will speak up next time. Thanks

It is so shocking when something like that happens, especially since you ate a lot of the salad. I once picked up four (expensive) huge burritos to take home to the fam, and the restaurant had put cheese in all of them, even though the boxes with the food in them had No Cheese or Sour Cream written right on them. I was tired, but my daughter was pissed, so she drove back to the restaurant and they refunded the money, gave us free vegan burritos, and a coupon for four more for the next visit! grin.gif
#45 Old 06-10-2013, 02:33 AM

Had a bad run of this recently..

1) Thai restaurant that do tofu/vegan options in everything, no mention of egg on the menu and it was smothered in egg White. My fault as I should have asked.

2) where I work if something is listed as vegetarian then it means no chicken stock etc. Bought a portion of vegetable soup after asking if it had cream in. Halfway through I picked out a piece of what looked like bacon. Went and asked the canteen staff who swore blind there was no meat stock or meat in it. Strange.

3) Chinese restaurant who know me and my wife are vegan served us our meals the other day mine had a tiny piece of chicken in and the wife's sweet and sour had a massive chunk in. So disappointing because either they have forgotten cooked in then picked out the meat and missed it rather than cooking fresh or it has been going on all the time and it is pre-prepared, they pick the meat out then serve it. We won't be going back and it's a place we went to regularly.
#46 Old 06-10-2013, 03:55 AM

I am just in the process of transitioning to full vegetarianism, so this is something I will have to be even more zealous about - but I don't think I would ever have liked random unnamed mystery meat or meat juices turning up in something that is supposed to be veggie.

When there is a green "V" on the menu next to an item, I would hope that it is actually vegetarian, but I have seen tofu dishes with pork marked with Vs, and sometimes the Vs seem to have been sprinkled randomly throughout the menu on anything that is mostly composed of vegetables. There is also the problem that the serving and even the cooking staff (especially in fast food, pre-prepared places) may not know everything that is in an item. I think if I asked about rennet in the cheese on my pizza, I would get blank looks from most people. Some places may actually lie, but I think many are just generally confused or have incomplete info.

Some restaurants are lovely, though. My partner and I were at a small Japanese place where the main meal came with miso soup. My partner loves miso, but it is often made with fish stock, so he asked them to check and said that if it was not fully veggie, he would go without. They brought only one soup to the table, but ten minutes later brought a second soup, saying that that they had made it specially without the stock. We were touched... especially as we weren't paying any extra for the soup and were prepared to just forget about it.

It is my birthday today, and we're going to a gorgeous-looking vegan restaurant. I hope and trust that there won't be anything lurking in their food.

#47 Old 06-10-2013, 07:37 AM

I'm glad your Japanese meal was a good experience for you. I am quickly getting to the point where I would rather eat at home than go out and this is from someone who used to love to go out to eat. At least I'm saving money.
#48 Old 06-10-2013, 07:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Me too I am trying out so many recipes and ingredients to my liking .... I usually drink beer budlight at the table at restaurants that don't have vegan options or if no alcohol is served I drink teas plenty while everyone else eats. The reality is the food that is not Veg*n is gross I usually will wait to eat at home or at least bring a piece of fruit . smiley.gif
#49 Old 06-10-2013, 07:51 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I'm glad your Japanese meal was a good experience for you. I am quickly getting to the point where I would rather eat at home than go out and this is from someone who used to love to go out to eat. At least I'm saving money.
#50 Old 09-23-2014, 02:17 AM

Ever been tricked at a restaurant?

My buddy and I went to get some veg. pho and were as specific as we could be. We got the soup, it had tofu, carrots broccoli, enoki, all kinds of goodies. But about halfway through my bowl I found what was a piece of pig skin and found there were other pieces in both bowls. We got out of there and nearly vomited outside the restaurant, it was a horrible experience.
#51 Old 09-23-2014, 02:34 AM

I seldom ever eat out but once in a blue moon I would have extra large fries from our local take away if I'm feeling lazy but hungry but since going vegan I haven't had any as I imagine that the fat used to fry the chips in may also be used to fry things like fish and nuggets. Not quite in keeping with the thread but still!

Be the change you wish to see in the world. Ghandi.

Unique photographic greeting cards and prints.

#52 Old 09-23-2014, 07:13 AM

This didn't happen at a restaurant, but with my husband's boss at work. He worked for a small business owned by a father and son. The son and my husband used to take turns buying lunch occasionally. If they had Subway, my husband would get the veggie delight. One day the son came back with a sub and said that they now had faux chicken. My husband trusted him and ate the sub, remarking about how much it tasted like real chicken. A little later my husband was violently ill and realized the guy had given him real meat. The guy felt really bad and had only meant it as a joke, not trying to be a jerk. He was just an immature idiot, not malicious, but seriously, what was he thinking?! My husband is easygoing most of the time and didn't get angry at the guy, just let him know that what he did wasn't cool. He actually stayed at work and finished the day even though he was sick and puking throughout the day. He should've at least demanded that day and the next day off with pay. I wouldn't have been as nice about it.
#53 Old 09-23-2014, 07:50 AM
Beginner

Your husband is a SAINT and I will leave it at that!!!
#54 Old 09-23-2014, 10:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Just tell em you are dangerously allergic to meat, that way they will be extra sure to not serve you any meat as they will be worried about lawsuits (and their jobs).

Last edited by Diesel; 09-23-2014 at 10:09 AM.
#55 Old 09-23-2014, 11:17 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
Just tell em you are dangerously allergic to meat, that way they will be extra sure to not serve you any meat as they will be worried about lawsuits (and their jobs).
I'm dangerously allergic to cruelty.
#56 Old 09-23-2014, 12:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by seedgirl View Post
This didn't happen at a restaurant, but with my husband's boss at work. He worked for a small business owned by a father and son. The son and my husband used to take turns buying lunch occasionally. If they had Subway, my husband would get the veggie delight. One day the son came back with a sub and said that they now had faux chicken. My husband trusted him and ate the sub, remarking about how much it tasted like real chicken. A little later my husband was violently ill and realized the guy had given him real meat. The guy felt really bad and had only meant it as a joke, not trying to be a jerk. He was just an immature idiot, not malicious, but seriously, what was he thinking?! My husband is easygoing most of the time and didn't get angry at the guy, just let him know that what he did wasn't cool. He actually stayed at work and finished the day even though he was sick and puking throughout the day. He should've at least demanded that day and the next day off with pay. I wouldn't have been as nice about it.
Holy crap, Seedgirl, that is just horrible! I have absolutely NO patience or tolerance for "jokes" like this. NONE whatsoever, capital zero. If I eat dairy, it usually takes me 3-4 weeks to fully recover.

I've never been tricked at a restaurant, I have had people be careless a couple of times - by and large I have had very good luck, plus I have developed almost a 6th sense to know when something contains dairy, in particular (weird, I know, but I do often get a funny feeling when something has dairy and I am usually right). But years ago, the last man I dated before coming out did try to pull a fast one. We were considering booking a short cruise, he was checking into the details. He called this cruise line to ask if they could accommodate my diet... (Note: 95% of cruise lines can accommodate veg*n just fine!) He said he called and they told him: "No, it's YOUR responsibility to make sure you don't eat anything you shouldn't." I said, "Wow, ok, well then I can't go. It would be too easy for me to get milk or butter in my food without my knowing it and then I'd get sick." He suggested I call and talk to them in more detail, which I did. The answer I got? "Oh yes, we can accommodate you, no problem!" The BF's response: "Gee, I guess it depends on who you talk to." We ended up breaking up before it could be booked... And later, I realized he had almost certainly lied to me about having the conversation. The "answer" he got was off the wall, and he had said some things before about how I should take full responsibility to not eat anything bad. Which is almost literally impossible if you are going to let anyone else prepare food for you.

The kicker? The real kicker to this story? The BF had been a vegetarian most of his adult life. Which just goes to show you, even a veg can be a creep and jack you over if they want to bad enough.
#57 Old 09-23-2014, 01:20 PM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to DTASFAB
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamizushi View Post
I'm dangerously allergic to cruelty.
I'm allergic to both cruelty and stupidity. This combination makes it difficult for me to exist in our universe.
#58 Old 09-23-2014, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
Holy crap, Seedgirl, that is just horrible! I have absolutely NO patience or tolerance for "jokes" like this. NONE whatsoever, capital zero. If I eat dairy, it usually takes me 3-4 weeks to fully recover.

I've never been tricked at a restaurant, I have had people be careless a couple of times - by and large I have had very good luck, plus I have developed almost a 6th sense to know when something contains dairy, in particular (weird, I know, but I do often get a funny feeling when something has dairy and I am usually right). But years ago, the last man I dated before coming out did try to pull a fast one. We were considering booking a short cruise, he was checking into the details. He called this cruise line to ask if they could accommodate my diet... (Note: 95% of cruise lines can accommodate veg*n just fine!) He said he called and they told him: "No, it's YOUR responsibility to make sure you don't eat anything you shouldn't." I said, "Wow, ok, well then I can't go. It would be too easy for me to get milk or butter in my food without my knowing it and then I'd get sick." He suggested I call and talk to them in more detail, which I did. The answer I got? "Oh yes, we can accommodate you, no problem!" The BF's response: "Gee, I guess it depends on who you talk to." We ended up breaking up before it could be booked... And later, I realized he had almost certainly lied to me about having the conversation. The "answer" he got was off the wall, and he had said some things before about how I should take full responsibility to not eat anything bad. Which is almost literally impossible if you are going to let anyone else prepare food for you.

The kicker? The real kicker to this story? The BF had been a vegetarian most of his adult life. Which just goes to show you, even a veg can be a creep and jack you over if they want to bad enough.
Sounds like a real jerk. You'd think that he of all people would've understood. Maybe he was super insecure and worried too much about what other people would think about having special requests. Making sure that someone can accommodate you is taking responsibility, especially if you contact them ahead of time.
#59 Old 09-23-2014, 05:05 PM
Veggie Regular

My family chose a specific restaurant BECAUSE it said it had vegan options.

When the vegan pizza came out, we had to inform the waitress that cheese isn't vegan. It was really sad.
#60 Old 09-23-2014, 10:48 PM

My husband and I rarely eat out, but if we do, we tell the waiter we're vegan and can't eat anything with meat or meat broth, no dairy- so no cheese, butter, mayo, sour cream, yogurt. We've never had a problem and people have been very accommodating.

We've been surprised at how many vegan options we've found since we live in the midwest US, not exactly known for being veg friendly or healthy. I was even more surprised to learn we had a couple of raw vegan and one regular vegan restaurant not too far from us.We also have a completely vegetarian Indian buffet restaurant that does everything vegan on Mondays which is nice since we don't have to keep track of which dishes have cheese.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page