Are Little Debbie's Cloud Cakes vegetarian? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-23-2013, 08:55 PM

I am not familiar with how vegetarian-friendly Little Debbie's products are, but their Twinkies brand Cloud Cakes have just been released and I bought them because they didn't have "beef fat" listed, like Twinkies used to.  But the emulsifiers on the ingredients label are scaring me a little:

EMULSIFIERS:

(SORBITAN MONOSTEARATE,

POLYSORBATE 60,

MONO- AND DIGLYCERIDES,

PROPYLENE GLYCOL MONOSTEARATE,

SODIUM STEAROYL LACTYLATE,

SOY LECITHIN)

And the rest of the ingredients are here:

http://www.sweetbaysupermarket.com/product/Grocery/Breads-Rolls-Pastry-Snack-Cakes/Snack-Cakes-Pastries/Little-Debbie-Cloud-Cakes/pc/28272/c/46403/sc/46411/866140.uts#

So are these vegetarian?  What is the history with how Little Debbie's treats vegetarians with regards to their food lineup?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-23-2013, 09:44 PM
Riot Nrrrd

Soy lecithin is sourced from soybeans, all the others are both plant and animal sourced (no real way to tell which was used, it often varies from batch to batch). So that's one definately vegetarian ingredient and the rest maybe or maybe not.

A good guide is at http://www.veganpeace.com/ingredients/ingredients.htm. It's vegan oriented but lists where the animal sourced ingredients come from, so you can tell if that source is ovo-lacto vegetarian acceptable even though not vegan.

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255
#3 Old 04-25-2013, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in MPLS View Post

Soy lecithin is sourced from soybeans, all the others are both plant and animal sourced (no real way to tell which was used, it often varies from batch to batch). So that's one definately vegetarian ingredient and the rest maybe or maybe not.

A good guide is at http://www.veganpeace.com/ingredients/ingredients.htm. It's vegan oriented but lists where the animal sourced ingredients come from, so you can tell if that source is ovo-lacto vegetarian acceptable even though not vegan.

Thank you for the list! 

What is the history with Little Debbie products, regarding vegetarian/non-vegetarian ingredients?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-25-2013, 01:06 PM
Riot Nrrrd

Quote:
What is the history with Little Debbie products, regarding vegetarian/non-vegetarian ingredients?

I haven't heard anything positive or negative. I never really looked into them. I always have seen Little Debbie as a cheap Hostess wannabe. I pretty much just assumed they'd be chock full of junk like beef tallow and never felt motivated to actually look into it.

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255
#5 Old 04-25-2013, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterChief3624 View Post

I am not familiar with how vegetarian-friendly Little Debbie's products are, but their Twinkies brand Cloud Cakes have just been released and I bought them because they didn't have "beef fat" listed, like Twinkies used to.

Just as an FYI, the real Twinkies will be back on store shelves in late July.

#6 Old 04-25-2013, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in MPLS View Post

I haven't heard anything positive or negative. I never really looked into them. I always have seen Little Debbie as a cheap Hostess wannabe. I pretty much just assumed they'd be chock full of junk like beef tallow and never felt motivated to actually look into it.

Oh I see.  I was never under the impression that they were a cheap Hostess wannabe, haha, but perhaps that's because I was raised on them, rather than Hostess.  In fact, I see Hostess as the enemy, haha.  Bleck.  :P  It was my understanding that Little Debbie's was better to vegetarians than Hostess, but maybe they're just better at hiding their ingredients. Thank you for the input, though :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWS View Post

Just as an FYI, the real Twinkies will be back on store shelves in late July.

I guess this was just announced like... a day ago? :P   That's neat, but I'm not sure why this is pertinent to the thread?  The original Twinkies were 100% not vegetarian, but these Cloud Cakes are still on-the-fence!

#7 Old 04-26-2013, 03:29 PM

Quote:

I guess this was just announced like... a day ago? :P   That's neat, but I'm not sure why this is pertinent to the thread?  The original Twinkies were 100% not vegetarian, but these Cloud Cakes are still on-the-fence!

You mentioned Twinkies.  My post was stated to be an FYI therefore it's understood not to be pertinent, just FYI.

#8 Old 04-26-2013, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWS View Post

You mentioned Twinkies.  My post was stated to be an FYI therefore it's understood not to be pertinent, just FYI.

Yeah, I understand.  I hope my comment didn't come off as rude... That wasn't my intention :(

#9 Old 04-29-2013, 08:12 AM

Quote:

Yeah, I understand.  I hope my comment didn't come off as rude... That wasn't my intention :(

I did wonder a bit.  No offense taken. smiley.gif

MasterChief3624 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page