I need a bigger lunch cooler! How do you carry your lunch? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-10-2013, 12:43 PM

I carry a Coleman Personal 8, which is an 8 quart cooler.  Some days it's not big enough.

Anyone recommend a slightly larger cooler?

Or better yet just tell me, how do you carry your lunch to work/school?  (Pictures might be nice.)

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-10-2013, 02:01 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

This one, but I dont know how large it is. Way too big for me, but I'm small. smiley.gif
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000246GSE/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1365627567&sr=8-2&pi=SL75ugy4arug.jpg
#3 Old 04-10-2013, 02:19 PM

Wow!  I looked at the large version.  That's way cool and much more efficient than my cooler and miscellaneous containers.

Probably not big enough for me but I'll look at it.  If I could find containers that fit together snugly in my cooler I would have much better use of space.

Thanks!

Anybody else have something to show?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-10-2013, 03:14 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWS View Post

Wow!  I looked at the large version.  That's way cool and much more efficient than my cooler and miscellaneous containers.

Probably not big enough for me but I'll look at it.  If I could find containers that fit together snugly in my cooler I would have much better use of space.

Thanks!

Anybody else have something to show?

I think that is the answer, to find containers just big enough for.the food, and nestle.them well. :-)
#5 Old 04-10-2013, 07:07 PM

#6 Old 04-11-2013, 04:33 AM

I've recently started taking my own lunch to work - mainly to save money and because veggie options are fairly limited and usually contain lots of cheese! Which I like, but not everyday!

This is my lunch box: http://www.lakeland.co.uk/14703/Box-Appetit---Large-Lunch-Box

It's dinky enough to fit comfortably in my bag but big enough for an adequate sized lunch. But the best thing is, it has little compartments grin.gif and I'm a total nerd for things like that! I like that I can take them out depending on what I'm having. And it comes with a little fork!

I think it's probably a lot smaller than your cooler though! Some days I feel I could do with a bigger one too... you can never have too much mung bean casserole for lunch!

#7 Old 04-11-2013, 06:36 AM

I really tried to consolidate things this morning when I packed my lunch and snacks.  I got everything in the cooler except for the blue ice.  Things are cool in there so it should keep fine.

For snacking I have an apple, banana, orange (cara cara!!!), can of V8, and some nuts.  A container of beans, one of greens, and one of beets for lunch.  And then there are the eating utensils.

At the end of the day I might have a piece of fruit left over.

Sounds like a lot to eat but I'm losing weight so it can't be too much.

I barely got the lid on the 8-quart cooler. I'm still looking for a replacement for the cooler.

#8 Old 04-11-2013, 06:47 AM
Poo Pie Head

http://www.keepyourcooler.com/large-lunch-box-bag.html

This site seems to be the mother lode for coolers, they even have rolling ones (ala rolling suitcases).
#9 Old 04-17-2013, 02:38 PM

So this week I've been carrying an old igloo Playmate cooler.  It's BIG!  Too BIG!  But I've been experimenting with some different foods.

I just couldn't get the idea of the Bento Lunch Jar out of my head that LedBoots showed in a post.  I ordered the Bento Classic version;SL-XB20.

I'm not certain but I think it's the highest capacity Lunch Jar that Bento makes.  It should arrive Saturday and with my Playmate cooler experimenting this week I should be ready to use it.

I keep realizing that the reason I need a bigger lunch cooler is that the containers I'm currently using waste way too much space.  The Bento Lunch Jar is so well organized and compact that I should have room for plenty of food in it.  It has 50oz of combined container capacity in the 3 containers.

http://www.zojirushi.com/ourproducts/how_and_chart/comparison_pdf/Zojirushi%20Lunch%20Jar%20Chart.pdf

#10 Old 04-17-2013, 03:25 PM
Veggie Regular

I love my planetbox. A little pricey though. It holds a LOT more food than you'd think!

#11 Old 04-17-2013, 07:13 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:

So this week I've been carrying an old igloo Playmate cooler.  It's BIG!  Too BIG!  But I've been experimenting with some different foods.

I just couldn't get the idea of the Bento Lunch Jar out of my head that LedBoots showed in a post.  I ordered the Bento Classic version;SL-XB20.

I'm not certain but I think it's the highest capacity Lunch Jar that Bento makes.  It should arrive Saturday and with my Playmate cooler experimenting this week I should be ready to use it.

I keep realizing that the reason I need a bigger lunch cooler is that the containers I'm currently using waste way too much space.  The Bento Lunch Jar is so well organized and compact that I should have room for plenty of food in it.  It has 50oz of combined container capacity in the 3 containers.

http://www.zojirushi.com/ourproducts/how_and_chart/comparison_pdf/Zojirushi%20Lunch%20Jar%20Chart.pdf

I think you will really like it. :-) You are going to be surprised how much it holds--like you said, no wasted space.

Wait till you see people's reactions! They love them. At my work we have a bunch of people using bentos now! :-)
#12 Old 04-17-2013, 07:30 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Also, some bento ideas. http://justbento.com/handbook/lists/bento-archive-list-3
Most are veg*n, but some omni, sorry.

And http://vegan-bento.livejournal.com/

Have fun! grin.gif
#13 Old 04-19-2013, 01:28 PM

Thanks for the links LedBoots!

My Classic Bento Lunch Jar was delivered this afternoon.  I want to get home and check it out.

#14 Old 04-29-2013, 07:14 AM

I used the lunch jar last week.  Worked like a champ.  Holds more food than I should eat so it's a winner.  Thanks for the recommendation!

#15 Old 04-29-2013, 08:49 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:

I used the lunch jar last week.  Worked like a champ.  Holds more food than I should eat so it's a winner.  Thanks for the recommendation!

Yay! I'm glad you found a solution that works for you. It is more fun to pack a lunch when you have something fun to put it in. smiley.gif
#16 Old 04-29-2013, 10:15 AM

I carry mine with a sore back and a great deal of bitterness in a thousand boxes in my backpack! laugh.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page