Bill Gates Believes Plant-Based Meat Alternatives Are the Future of Food - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-22-2013, 03:40 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Bill Gates (yes, that Bill Gates!), co-founder and Chairman of Microsoft and co-chair of the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation is very excited about the potential of plant-based meats… and you should too!

His reasoning is quite simple. As the world population grows to 9 billion by 2050, meat consumption is expected to double! It’s pretty clear we’re going to run out of arable land for raising livestock. So how are people across the world (especially the developing world) going to get enough protein?

Plant-based meats, of course!

On his site, The Gates Notes, where he posts updated information and videos about the future of food, Gates points out that there’s plenty of protein and necessary amino acids in plants, including the world’s four major commodity crops — rice, maize, wheat and soy. Hell yes, we have been saying this for a while now. Read this and this.

Gates goes on to add “The problem is that instead of feeding these crops to people, we’re feeding most of them to livestock. And so we’re caught in an inefficient protein-delivery system. For every 10 kilograms of grain we feed cattle, we get 1 kilogram of beef in return. The calorie kick-back is just too low to feed a growing world population.”

Read more: http://www.onegreenplanet.org/news/bill-gates-believes-plant-based-meat-alternatives-are-the-future-of-food/

This is wonderful! I don't think we could ask for a more credible or respected person to promote plant based eating. rockon.gif

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-22-2013, 04:11 PM
Veggie Regular

i ask for Linus Thorvalds penguin.gif

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
https://
https://www.autistici.org/en/index.html  https://riseup.net/en

https://pay.reddit.com/r/privacy/wiki/index

#3 Old 03-22-2013, 07:14 PM

That's really positive.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-22-2013, 11:41 PM
Banned

The world is going to turn to plant-based meats to get protein? Can't you get protein from well....plants? Though I'm sure Kellogg, etc love the idea.
#5 Old 03-23-2013, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logic View Post

The world is going to turn to plant-based meats to get protein? Can't you get protein from well....plants? Though I'm sure Kellogg, etc love the idea.

#6 Old 03-23-2013, 12:59 AM
Beginner

The idea that meat consumption is expected to double scares the hell out of me. sad.gif it's great that Bill Gates has said this though- I'm know a lot of people look up to him and know he's an intelligent man smiley.gif
#7 Old 03-23-2013, 04:14 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by logic View Post

You know that McDonalds Dollar menu people aren't going to suddenly begin preparing and cooking food from scratch.
#8 Old 03-23-2013, 05:48 AM

There are a heck of a lot of McDonalds eatin, £1 microwave meal serving people who wont even know who Bill Gates is.

I rarely eat fake meat, and even then it's quorn for spag bol, cottage pies etc, and don't even like a lot of faux meat. We need to get people to cut down thier consumption to two to three portions a week, but people refuse to listen.

There is a fantastic talk on Ted.com by Mark Bittman, a self confessed carnivore who understands and advocates a meat reductionist movement is essential for health and environmental sustainability.

So many people realise the potentially critical state of our planet, because of industrial meat industry, but not enough is being done about it.

Not even in the wake of the horse meat scandal here in the UK, people are still scrambling to the shops to buy packaged and processed meat!
#9 Old 03-23-2013, 09:04 AM
Veggie Regular

I got mcdonals and burger kings serving vegetarian burgers in some places, most notably London. And McDo has some fully vegetarian branches opening in india. If people change, those chains will follow the change. And the change has already begun.

https://
https://www.autistici.org/en/index.html  https://riseup.net/en

https://pay.reddit.com/r/privacy/wiki/index

#10 Old 03-23-2013, 11:39 AM
Veggie Regular

I think it's a good article but to focus on protein when so many people don't get enough vitamins and minerals leaves something left to be written.

#11 Old 03-23-2013, 12:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post

You know that McDonalds Dollar menu people aren't going to suddenly begin preparing and cooking food from scratch.
Why? Because the (processed) food industry created a generation of culinary dupes and now culinary knowledge isn't being past down to new generations. The youngest generation has an almost complete dependence on the processed food industry.......

But I didn't say anything about "cooking food from scratch", I was pointing out the absurdity of focusing on "plant-based meats" instead of the fact that whole plant foods contain plenty of protein. You can create healthy fast food, it just want elicit the same addictive response as junk fast food. Also, most of the increase in meat consumption isn't going to come from developed nations, instead developing nations so the focus on "plant-based meats" is a bit strange since these people are already deriving most of their protein needs form whole plant foods and processed "plant-based meats" are expensive and wasteful. That is, they need to be encouraged not to eat more meat and return to their more traditional eating patterns. But how are you going to encourage that while those in the west, etc continue to consume meat?

The underlying issue here isn't really about meat, instead the inequality of nations. The developed nations have enjoyed a high standard of living at the expense of developing nations for thousands of years, but that is coming to an end as China, India, Brazil, etc grow and become more powerful. Until developed nations give up their privileged status, developing nations will continue to work towards a similar standard of living and balance will be achieved painfully with a lot of blood.
#12 Old 03-24-2013, 12:29 PM
Lifelong vegetarian

Plant-based Meat Alternatives are the future of food industry. But vegetarians don't need it.

My usual answer: I have never heard a convincing reason to eat meat.
#13 Old 03-25-2013, 09:24 AM

Except the plant-based meat products will be loaded with GMOs.  The general meat-eating public is screwed either way..both are incredible unhealthy.

I don't know, i don't really trust Bill Gates. He may come across as having good intentions but read between the lines and it's just another way for Monsanto to own ALL food supply. They have the seeds..now they have the meat.

#14 Old 03-25-2013, 09:46 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't get it. What's a plant based meat? If he means immitation meats then I agree with logic that unprocessed plant based foods are sufficient for getting enough protein. They're also far far cheaper than meat immitation products.
#15 Old 03-25-2013, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayleen22 View Post

Except the plant-based meat products will be loaded with GMOs.  The general meat-eating public is screwed either way..both are incredible unhealthy.

I don't know, i don't really trust Bill Gates. He may come across as having good intentions but read between the lines and it's just another way for Monsanto to own ALL food supply. They have the seeds..now they have the meat.

I agree, and I think there is a misconception amongst many (mainly meat eaters) that fake meat is good for you.  It is still processed.  Bill gates comment is good for the animals, but not necessarily good for our nutrition.  Although I guess it is better than nothing! 

#16 Old 03-25-2013, 02:36 PM
Lifelong vegetarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariea View Post

Although I guess it is better than nothing! 

We don't have nothing.

My usual answer: I have never heard a convincing reason to eat meat.
#17 Old 03-25-2013, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by @rno View Post

We don't have nothing.

I meant it's a start that someone (like Bill Gates) would make a statement like that. Not that fake meat is better than nothing. 

#18 Old 03-25-2013, 05:23 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsail View Post

I don't get it. What's a plant based meat? If he means immitation meats then I agree with logic that unprocessed plant based foods are sufficient for getting enough protein. They're also far far cheaper than meat immitation products.
But the vast majority does not eat unprocessed plant foods as a major part of their diet, and never will. They will, however, likely switch from a cow burger to a bean or soy one.
Blobbenstein likes this.
#19 Old 03-25-2013, 07:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post

But the vast majority does not eat unprocessed plant foods as a major part of their diet, and never will. They will, however, likely switch from a cow burger to a bean or soy one.
On the contrary, the majority eat unprocessed plant foods.....you're thinking of American society which represents a small fraction of the total global population.

Bill Gates is talking about global meat production, meat production in the US and Europe is fairly stagnant, so what we are really talking about is increased demand in developing countries and the vast majority of people in these countries are eating unprocessed plant foods.

Regardless, the author of this article isn't very...hmm...worldly.
#20 Old 03-25-2013, 08:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

There's nothing inherently unhealthy about GMOs. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariea View Post

I agree, and I think there is a misconception amongst many (mainly meat eaters) that fake meat is good for you.  It is still processed.  Bill gates comment is good for the animals, but not necessarily good for our nutrition.  Although I guess it is better than nothing! 

There's also nothing inherently unhealthy about processed food. Yes, processed foods tend to be less nutritious than whole foods, but it's not a hard rule. 

#21 Old 03-27-2013, 11:26 AM

Quote:

There's nothing inherently unhealthy about GMOs. 

There's also nothing inherently unhealthy about processed food. Yes, processed foods tend to be less nutritious than whole foods, but it's not a hard rule. 

I'm not quite sure how to respond to this. 

That's like saying there is nothing inherently unhealthy about red meat, or milk, or cigarettes, or asbestos.

If you turn your head the other way, then yes, all these are completely healthy. 

The preservatives and artificial sweetners (such as HFCS, aspartame) found in almost all processed foods can be carcinogenic. It's not just that it's less nutritious. That's only part of it. 

GMOs are completely unnecessary and it's widespread use in the U.S. (98% banned in Europe..wonder why?) is used for population control. If you do not see GMOs as being unhealthy..it's unlikely you ever will, unfortunately. 

#22 Old 03-27-2013, 01:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I'm not quite sure how to respond to this. 

That's like saying there is nothing inherently unhealthy about red meat, or milk, or cigarettes, or asbestos.

If you turn your head the other way, then yes, all these are completely healthy. 

It's not like saying red meat, milk, cigarettes and asbestos aren't unhealthy... It's like saying exactly what I said. I don't understand the point of the comparison. 

Quote:

The preservatives and artificial sweetners (such as HFCS, aspartame) found in almost all processed foods can be carcinogenic. It's not just that it's less nutritious. That's only part of it. 

I know some preservatives are considered "possibly carcinogenic". And some research suggests aspartame might be harmful in normal doses. I've never heard anything about HFCS being carcinogenic. Even if you want to avoid, let's say, aspartame, potassium nitrate, butylated hydroxyanisol, and saccharin, because you fear they might be carcinogenic, my points stands that processed foods aren't inherently unhealthy, because there's plenty of processed foods that don't contain these ingredients. 

Quote:
GMOs are completely unnecessary and it's widespread use in the U.S. (98% banned in Europe..wonder why?) is used for population control. If you do not see GMOs as being unhealthy..it's unlikely you ever will, unfortunately. 

GMOs aren't completely unnecessary. They have their advantages, such as resistance to pests, resistance to harsh conditions, and shelf life. By 98% banned in Europe do you mean that 98% of GM crops are not allowed to be cultivated in Europe? "Population control" sounds like conspiracy talk. And last I checked, most Americans are still capable of making babies. So what is the evidence that GMOs are unhealthy? 

#23 Old 03-27-2013, 03:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

.................................................................................................................................................

My guess is that the Anti-Processed-Food Police will shortly be paying you a visit...  shocked.gif

#24 Old 03-27-2013, 05:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

It's not like saying red meat, milk, cigarettes and asbestos aren't unhealthy... So what is the evidence that GMOs are unhealthy? 
There is a controversial French study that did some horrible things to mice involving Round-Up. There might be more, but that is the only study I have came across.
#25 Old 03-27-2013, 08:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by leedsveg View Post

Quote:

.................................................................................................................................................

My guess is that the Anti-Processed-Food Police will shortly be paying you a visit...  shocked.gif

My guess is that the Anti-Processed-Food Police will shortly be paying you a visit...veganpolice.gif   Fixed it for you.

I probably should point out Bill Gates also has stock in Monsanto, something like 500,000 (not sure of the exact number). shocked.gif

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#26 Old 03-28-2013, 01:43 AM

yes, emerging markets like China will soon be wanting lots of meat, and I think Bill Gates just wants a bit of damage control on that.

#27 Old 03-28-2013, 11:45 AM

Quote:

It's not like saying red meat, milk, cigarettes and asbestos aren't unhealthy... It's like saying exactly what I said. I don't understand the point of the comparison. 

I know some preservatives are considered "possibly carcinogenic". And some research suggests aspartame might be harmful in normal doses. I've never heard anything about HFCS being carcinogenic. Even if you want to avoid, let's say, aspartame, potassium nitrate, butylated hydroxyanisol, and saccharin, because you fear they might be carcinogenic, my points stands that processed foods aren't inherently unhealthy, because there's plenty of processed foods that don't contain these ingredients. 

GMOs aren't completely unnecessary. They have their advantages, such as resistance to pests, resistance to harsh conditions, and shelf life. By 98% banned in Europe do you mean that 98% of GM crops are not allowed to be cultivated in Europe? "Population control" sounds like conspiracy talk. And last I checked, most Americans are still capable of making babies. So what is the evidence that GMOs are unhealthy? 

Countries that currently have fully and partially banned GMOs:

http://current.com/groups/news-blog/93975745_peru-bans-genetically-modified-foods-as-us-lags.htm

You can't say 100% one way or the other that GMOs are unhealthy or healthy in the US because the US hasn't done any studies on it (there are some but most aren't fully substantiated or they are biased). Studies from other countries may be easier to find. My statements come from my own opinions. When something is banned in 20+  countries and no one here questions it? Or that the white house and all Monstanto offices do not serve any GM food to their employees? It's ridiculous. Let's all turn the other way and pretend that the government (FDA, USDA, CDC) all care about our well being.

How about global eugenics? Does that sound like conspiracy talk then? It is happening, the trick is you have to open your eyes to see it.

#28 Old 03-28-2013, 11:59 AM

i posted a thread in the activist section but i 'll post it here as well in relation to GMOs:

https://www.facebook.com/events/147274678766425/155451594615400

#29 Old 03-28-2013, 02:33 PM

I watched 'Think Global Act Rural' recently and I think GMO's are replacing natural, self-sufficient plants with pesticide dependant ones. The companies who produce them are exploiting farmers. GMO's are the beginning of the end, in my opinion.
Kayleen22 likes this.
#30 Old 03-28-2013, 02:55 PM
Poo Pie Head

GMOs do cause the generation of a serious condition that affects farmers called LT-FF*. It is a serious pandemic in farming communities in much of the world today.

*Lawsuits That F#%! Farmers

Basically, the GMO companies are doing anything they can to make more money, including suing organic farmers if they find that some of the patented pollen has contaminated the organic fields.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page