what is something you wish they would make a vegetarian/vegan version of? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-13-2013, 10:49 PM
Banned

I feel weird admitting this but I miss "$h!t on toast" you know that chipped beef in cream sauce. Weird huh? I haven't seen anything like that at any stores. What does everyone else miss or even something they used to make and it got discontinued?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-13-2013, 11:02 PM

egg mayo, in baguette.(yes, I know about black salt, and tofu)

brie
that rubbery smoked cheese that is in a sausage shape.
cottage cheese

eta: I wasn't sure if this was about foods that vegans would want.

#3 Old 02-13-2013, 11:15 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

String cheese.....vegan string cheese. 

"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-14-2013, 12:42 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4everaspirit View Post

String cheese.....vegan string cheese. 

OMG yes and that is totally possible now with Daiya!!! If they can make delicious havarti I have faith they could figure out string cheese.

Another thing I'd love is vegan ravioli in a can, like Chef Boyardee. It seems like it would be so easy to do and I know we already have delicious pasta, faux beef and tomato sauce in the world I have no idea why that isn't already a thing.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#5 Old 02-14-2013, 02:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

OMG yes and that is totally possible now with Daiya!!! If they can make delicious havarti I have faith they could figure out string cheese.

Another thing I'd love is vegan ravioli in a can, like Chef Boyardee. It seems like it would be so easy to do and I know we already have delicious pasta, faux beef and tomato sauce in the world I have no idea why that isn't already a thing.

Heck yes!!! I so want cheapo vegan/vegetarian Chef Boyardee Beef Ravioli.

Actually you know what TVP is in this crap, why don't they step up their game and make a vegetarian line to appeal to more consumers????

http://www.stepuptotheplate.net/sponsors/chef_boyardee/ravioli_cn.asp

I just wrote Chef Boyardee requesting a vegan beef ravioli......

#6 Old 02-14-2013, 02:41 PM
Banned

Oh and a good mock thin sliced "roast beef" like Arby's...now that would be awesome.

#7 Old 02-14-2013, 02:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Mmm ravioli would be good. I wish they would make a vegan gelatin. Like flavored pectin or something. Jello is so versatile.they have so many flavors you can use it to flavor all kinds of things ie cakes etc...
#8 Old 02-14-2013, 02:56 PM

There used to be (might still be) vegetable ravioli in the UK so I'd be surprised if there isn't in the States unless tinned ravioli isn't popular there.  Liked the Branston one for a while but not had for ages.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by krispex22 View Post

Mmm ravioli would be good. I wish they would make a vegan gelatin. Like flavored pectin or something. Jello is so versatile.they have so many flavors you can use it to flavor all kinds of things ie cakes etc...
#9 Old 02-14-2013, 02:58 PM
Banned

Quote:

Here is something, and I wonder if you could experiment since Kool Aid is vegan (Peta says it is at least) and make it into other flavors?

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/vegan-gelatin/

http://www.petakids.com/accvegan.asp

#10 Old 02-14-2013, 03:16 PM
Beginner

Hooters Hot Wings.  I've actually never been there, but I used to make it with a copy copy recipe.   
KFC Fried Chicken.  Yum. 
BBQ Ribs -  The Morningstar version is good, but I think it has a week's worth of sodium in it.  

There are the only things I still "crave" (and the word "crave" is much too strong a word).   My friend with 25 years still lusts over bacon.  lol 

#11 Old 02-14-2013, 03:22 PM

Cheese

Cheese on toast

Cheesy pizzas

Cheese and tomato sandwiches

Cheese and tomato baguettes

Cheese grated on top of vegetables

Cheese and onion pies

#12 Old 02-14-2013, 05:20 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerpie View Post

There used to be (might still be) vegetable ravioli in the UK so I'd be surprised if there isn't in the States unless tinned ravioli isn't popular there.  Liked the Branston one for a while but not had for ages.  

Awww, no fair! That looks delicious but I've never seen anything like it in Canada.

Quote:

Cheese
Cheese on toast
Cheesy pizzas
Cheese and tomato sandwiches
Cheese and tomato baguettes
Cheese grated on top of vegetables
Cheese and onion pies

Have you tried Daiya? It's a pretty tasty way to have all those things, especially the new wedges. lick.gif

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#13 Old 02-14-2013, 05:28 PM
Banned

All kinds of mad that we don't have that veggie pasta in the USA mad.gif

#14 Old 02-14-2013, 07:00 PM
Zelda Freak

Quote:

Look for this butternut squash ravioli - it's vegan and good. I found it at Trader Joe's.

Sorry the image is so fuzzy. Here is a company link. http://www.risingmoon.com/productlist.aspx?catid=La+Famiglia+Organic+Ravioli

Also they do make vegan jello. I've been buying it for years. I used to get Hain Superfruits - like jello in a box you make, but haven't seen it in a while.  Recently I found these http://www.cool-cups.com/Cool_Cups.html at Trader Joes. They're vegan and my son loves them. 

I wish they made decent vegan cheddar cheese - and YES I've tried Daiya and don't like it. I also wish they sold vegan alfredo in stores. I've seen it online, but NEVER at a store. 

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 +

* Find me:
+
+
#15 Old 02-14-2013, 07:03 PM

Thanks but not sure you can get it in the UK, I'll have to check smiley.gif

Quote:

Awww, no fair! That looks delicious but I've never seen anything like it in Canada.
Have you tried Daiya? It's a pretty tasty way to have all those things, especially the new wedges. lick.gif
#16 Old 02-14-2013, 07:12 PM
Zelda Freak

Oh yeah and cream of tomato soup. I just like plain ol' can o' tomato soup with milk added to it, but for some reason I HATE how soy milk tastes in this. It's the only thing I ever really needed to use real milk in before I went vegan. Now I can't have it at all :(

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:

+

* Find me:
+
+
#17 Old 02-14-2013, 07:25 PM

OMG Jennifer, lovely lovely lovely cream of tomato soup!  Morrisons' organic range in UK did a vegan one, fairly nice but a slight aftertaste.  

Cream of tomato soup with cheese sandwiches dipped in!  One of THE great meals.  Even after all this time I can almost taste it now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer C View Post

Oh yeah and cream of tomato soup. I just like plain ol' can o' tomato soup with milk added to it, but for some reason I HATE how soy milk tastes in this. It's the only thing I ever really needed to use real milk in before I went vegan. Now I can't have it at all :(

#18 Old 02-14-2013, 08:08 PM
Zelda Freak

Quote:

OMG Jennifer, lovely lovely lovely cream of tomato soup!  Morrisons' organic range in UK did a vegan one, fairly nice but a slight aftertaste.  

Cream of tomato soup with cheese sandwiches dipped in!  One of THE great meals.  Even after all this time I can almost taste it now.

I know right. Even as much as I dislike vegan cheese, I can handle a grilled vegan cheese sandwich kind of. The last time I made vegan tomato soup however, I had to throw it all away after one bite :( Maybe I should try a different alternative milk. 

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:

+

* Find me:
+
+
#19 Old 02-14-2013, 08:16 PM

Maybe you made your soup too thick if you were *biting* it! wink3.gif

Trial and error eh - or search online for a better recipe.

I'm still put off by my early vegan cheese experiences that seemed to be made out of potatoes!!!!!!! shocked.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer C View Post

I know right. Even as much as I dislike vegan cheese, I can handle a grilled vegan cheese sandwich kind of. The last time I made vegan tomato soup however, I had to throw it all away after one bite :( Maybe I should try a different alternative milk. 

#20 Old 02-14-2013, 08:55 PM

Quote:

Thanks but not sure you can get it in the UK, I'll have to check smiley.gif
Quote:

Redwood's Cheezly can be quite good, but I've started buying the Tesco vegan cheeses.

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=271895049

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=271880913

It is quite nice in a cheese sandwich, but I always preferred mild cheese in sandwiches.

Not sure if the Tesco one melts, but some of Redwood's ones sort of melt, and make ok cheese on toast. They do some pizzas to which are ok too.

but maybe you've tried that lot......not sure the Tesco cheese is available everywhere.
gingerpie likes this.

#21 Old 02-14-2013, 09:10 PM

Thanks Blobbenstein,

I'll have a look next time I'm in Tesco.  smiley.gif  When I was a vegetarian I loved mature Irish Cheddar but I sense stronger vegan cheeses might taste more obviously fake???

I can't remember what I tried in the past but it was kinda circular and I didn't really know how to store it after I opened the packaging!  Should've just put it in a plastic container, I suppose, but I was dumber then! 

#22 Old 02-15-2013, 07:48 AM

Corned beef hash.  Gross, I know, but it was a comfort food.  Also, eggrolls.

#23 Old 02-15-2013, 09:12 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AttilatheHoney View Post

Heres a vegan c.b. hash recipe smiley.gif
http://thegothichomemaker.blogspot.com/2009/12/vegan-corned-beef-hash.html?m=1
[/quote]
#24 Old 02-15-2013, 01:37 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AttilatheHoney View Post

Look for  Ling Ling spring rolls in the frozen sectio. They're vegan and very good.
In the U.S? 

It's difficult to have a food discussion with other countries. We should specify.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#25 Old 02-15-2013, 02:02 PM
Impeach the gangster

Egg-Foo-Yung. (Chinese omelet.)

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
#26 Old 02-15-2013, 02:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Smoked salmon.

Poppy likes this.

"I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine." Bruce Lee.

"On a large enough time line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero." Chuck Palahniuk (Fight Club)

#27 Old 02-15-2013, 02:57 PM
Ankle Biter

Blue cheese.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#28 Old 02-15-2013, 03:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Honestly, just pre-made cake!

"Treat others as you wish to be treated."

- The Golden Rule

"No snowflake in an avalanche feels responsible."

- Voltair

"Be the change you wish to see in the world."

- Mahatma Ghandi

"Even dust piled up will grow into a mountain."

- Japanese Proverb

#29 Old 02-15-2013, 03:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post

Look for  Ling Ling spring rolls in the frozen sectio. They're vegan and very good.
In the U.S? 

It's difficult to have a food discussion with other countries. We should specify.

Ah sorry I am in the USA. Really? I will check those out I love spring rolls.

#30 Old 02-15-2013, 03:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad888 View Post

Smoked salmon.

http://www.yummly.com/recipe/Vegan-Smoked-_salmon_-Spead-Recipezaar

Maybe try this out?

nomad888 I love Fight Club!!!! One of my fave movies EVER!!!! smitten.gif

Ewe Nanny likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page