VeggieBoards

VeggieBoards (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/)
-   Vegetarian Support Forum (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/11-vegetarian-support-forum/)
-   -   What are some foods that you hate? (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/11-vegetarian-support-forum/139262-what-some-foods-you-hate.html)

shannon1976 02-03-2013 08:44 PM

I hate durian, it is disgusting. It stinks and it tastes awful. I also hate celery if it is raw, in its cooked state it is fine. My husband hates tempeh. Oh okra, I can't stand it because it is slimy. I hate sweet and sour tofu/stir fry. So 'fess up what are some foods that you hate?

ETA: not a fan of wheat berries either.

Snowqueen68 02-03-2013 09:43 PM

Canalope,okra,tempeh and barbecue sauce.Yuck:-P

Marjoram 02-03-2013 09:53 PM

Millet

Jinga 02-03-2013 09:56 PM

Yeah, barbecue sauce is nasty. Even worse is BBQ flavored chips. They taste like vomit to me. I also really dislike citrus flavored desserts (key lime pie, lemon bars, orange chocolate) and meringue is just odd and not my thing. I like most foods on their own, but don't always like how they are combined with other things in the recipe. Case in point ... orange and chocolate are awesome separately, but once they are mixed, I'll pass.

River 02-03-2013 10:05 PM

Great thread idea!

Eggplant, cooked celery, tempeh, and brussel sprouts

zirpkatze 02-03-2013 11:16 PM

onions

nervehold 02-03-2013 11:22 PM

So much hate on tempeh! Love it.

I hate tomatoes by themselves. I love salsa, and pretty much anything that has tomatoes in it, but stand alone or in slices on a sandwich they're terrible.

MaisieF 02-03-2013 11:54 PM

Fennel. Bler.

Move of Ten 02-03-2013 11:58 PM

I like this subject.

Banana peppers. When a dish or sandwich has banana peppers it ruins it for me. I can't ignore the taste. It's like trying to enjoy a nice piece of music with a baby crying right next to me. 

Popcorn. One of the most overrated foods. Very little substance and doesn't taste particularly good unless you go crazy with your own seasonings. 

Fries. I don't hate them, but they are just really boring, stodgy and often greasy. I like English chips, though, which is sort of like a fry except way better. 

Move of Ten 02-04-2013 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nervehold View Post

I hate tomatoes by themselves. I love salsa, and pretty much anything that has tomatoes in it, but stand alone or in slices on a sandwich they're terrible.

Even stand alone canned tomatoes? 

nervehold 02-04-2013 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsail View Post

Even stand alone canned tomatoes? 

If I make a chili or stew out of them, they're fine. By themselves... spew.gif

amira23 02-04-2013 05:34 AM

Ocra.   Blech.

LedBoots 02-04-2013 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amira23 View Post

Ocra.   Blech.

Yes. And brussel sprous, no matter how fresh or yummily roasted. shocked.gif

Allisona64 02-04-2013 05:42 AM

Olives

These things should be banned.

LedBoots 02-04-2013 05:43 AM

Quote:

So much hate on tempeh! Love it.

Inlike to pick a nice red tomato off the vine, still warm from the sun, and sprinkle a little salt. Tastes nothing like those pink things in the grocery.

ShadowKat 02-04-2013 06:36 AM

Foods I hate:

Mushrooms

Almonds

Kale

Tofu (that hasn't been flavoured a bit and cooked well. Otherwise I eat lots of it and enjoy it quite a bit)

Brussel Sprouts.

Foods I can't live without:

Brocolli

Jalepenos

Spinach

Well seasoned Tofu

Almonds

BBQ sauce

Yeah, I know. I'm a bad vegan for not liking Kale and mushrooms and whatnot LOL. (Just say NO! {to vegan stereotypes ;) })

amira23 02-04-2013 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post

Yes. And brussel sprous, no matter how fresh or yummily roasted. shocked.gif

I can eat exactly 2 brussel sprouts, then I'm done for months.

jpaul 02-04-2013 08:02 AM

I'm not real fond of cucumbers. Or daikon. Or beets.

nervehold 02-04-2013 08:08 AM

Quote:

Inlike to pick a nice red tomato off the vine, still warm from the sun, and sprinkle a little salt. Tastes nothing like those pink things in the grocery.

We had a couple tomato plants over the summer. I 've tried em all and I hate them all haha

It took me forever to like brussel sprouts but after much force feeding i finally like them.

LedBoots 02-04-2013 08:37 AM

Quote:

Quote:

We had a couple tomato plants over the summer. I 've tried em all and I hate them all haha

It took me forever to like brussel sprouts but after much force feeding i finally like them.

I gave up on the brussel sprouts, for good. grin.gif

alis 02-04-2013 08:54 AM

Any of the imitation meats - tofurky, 'chicken' nuggets, etc... blegh. Gross and expensive. I prefer delicious hearty natural foods like a portabella burger instead of making an imitation burger. Seitan, ick.

And cucumbers, watery, tasteless, waste of space in my fridge!

ocrob37 02-04-2013 09:06 AM

Olives and Mushrooms gross me out.  It seems all veggie pizzas come with the and I always have to ask for them to leave them out.

luvourmother 02-04-2013 09:08 AM

Tofu and soymilk. 

I get really sad when I get a veggie dish full of tofu chunks that were not disclosed on the menu, seems like some cooks think that's all we eat!

yogurt too, smells like moldy trash to me :/

Jennifer C 02-04-2013 10:04 AM

Cooked mushrooms, brussel sprouts, most nuts, raisins in cookies, green olives, kale (I don't get the whole kale obsession), fruit candy, potato chips, hard alcohol (I do like beer), berries in stuff like pies or jelled or made into syrup (only whole fresh berries), white rice, mock sausage, frosting unless extremely light or any canned vegetables.  

I also hate stuff like sour cream, cottage cheese, yogurt (vegan or regular - not a fan of weird dairy/alt dairy items) - I do like vegan cream cheese in cheese cake but I'd never eat it plain, like on toast (blah). 

I'm REALLY picky. I hate a lot of food. I could never travel a lot because it's hard to feed me at home, let alone on the go in weird places. 

Move of Ten 02-04-2013 10:11 AM

This is the first time I've heard from cucumber haters. I have a mind to go eat a whole cucumber by itself in a minute (coincidentally). 

shannon1976 02-04-2013 11:10 AM

I hate beer. I do love almost all alcohols except for Gin which I will not drink at all. I love yogurt, cream cheese, tofu, soy milk, beets (I like the greens better), kale is OK...I love frosting on cake, seitan....Oh rose flavored candy (Turkish Delight I think) that was so nasty. I hate Ragu pasta sauces. I usually make my own pasta sauce because it always tastes better. I love tomatoes. Sour cream mixed with salsa bothers me when you are eating chips. Keep it separate. Ugh. I will only eat roasted Brussels Sprouts roasted. I love all olives. I love chocolate with citrus. I hate meringue too. Disgusting. I do love angel food cake. I love all nuts. Oh spaghetti squash... evil nasty stuff there. I will not eat it at all. Bleh! I love BBQ sauce.

ETA: I love cucumbers!

I just thought of another one...Spinach with ketchup is really nasty. My MIL eats it like that and I tried it and thumbsdown.gif spew.gif

jpaul 02-04-2013 11:14 AM

I could eat bbq sauce on just about anything ... except cucumbers.

shannon1976 02-04-2013 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpaul View Post

I could eat bbq sauce on just about anything ... except cucumbers.

laugh.gif

shannon1976 02-04-2013 11:30 AM

Oh I love mushrooms, eggplant, cantaloupe, onions, banana peppers...Fennel and millet are okay. I like millet in baked foods mainly.

ETA: I love citrus desserts.

Another one, I don't really like papaya.

I hate canned spinach and canned asparagus, yuck.

Move of Ten 02-04-2013 01:07 PM

I'll throw pretzels (except the big soft ones), peanuts and potato chips into the boring/overrated foods category. Also baked potatoes. Baked potatoes never seem to cool down enough and you have to add a bunch of ingredients to make them taste decent. I really like roasted potatoes, potato curries, potato soups, potato bread, potato gnocchi, and potato dumplings though.