What are some foods that you hate? - Page 9 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#241 Old 03-05-2014, 11:47 PM
Veggie Regular

I think I've mentioned this but I'll mention it again because they are THAT bad - aubergine/eggplant. I mean, what? EGG PLANT!?

I ADORE brussels sprouts though. My flatmates used to laugh as during college, occasionally (basically if I was low on cash) I'd eat a plate of brussels sprouts covered in gravy for dinner. Still could.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#242 Old 03-05-2014, 11:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohom View Post

I think I've mentioned this but I'll mention it again because they are THAT bad - aubergine/eggplant. I mean, what? EGG PLANT!?

I ADORE brussels sprouts though. My flatmates used to laugh as during college, occasionally (basically if I was low on cash) I'd eat a plate of brussels sprouts covered in gravy for dinner. Still could.

Have you tried fried egg plant? Eggplant is tricky to cook. Few things are as horrid as mushy eggplant.

Brussels sprouts and gravy sounds delicious.
#243 Old 03-06-2014, 12:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Bean - I've had eggplant in a lot of ways. It's the taste of it more than anything, but the texture is yucky too.

And yeah, brussels/gravy is delicious. With lots of pepper.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#244 Old 03-06-2014, 03:57 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanspud View Post

Brussels sprouts are delicious. Just don't overcook them. Spicy dijon mustard is a good topping, but that requires liking mustard.

Not me- I only like them almost mushy with some garlic oil.

boiled, not roasted

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#245 Old 03-06-2014, 07:59 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm not a huge fan of eggplant, but I don't hate it. It's not something I'd go out of my way to eat, but when it's the only veg option on the menu, I'll take it.

--Fromper
juggle.gif
#246 Old 03-19-2014, 02:11 PM

The things I hate are mainly condiments.  I hate ketchup, mayonnaise, and tomato soup (eww).

#247 Old 03-19-2014, 07:03 PM

I hate ketchup too, and tomatoes on their own. I've also been really disliking carrots lately, I'm not sure why. I used to like them. 

#248 Old 03-19-2014, 09:07 PM
Rat Queen/Mouse Matriarch

I hate cucumbers.

I can't abandon the person I used to be, so I carry her.
#249 Old 03-19-2014, 09:13 PM

I don't hate any vegetarian food.:bobo:

#250 Old 03-20-2014, 08:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohom View Post

A friend of mine once wrote a poem:

Egg plant

Is the best plant

Egg is life

And eggplant is plant life (with egg)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhys View Post

I hate cucumbers.

All the more for me to eat! I can't get enough cucumber.

#251 Old 03-21-2014, 08:21 AM
Unschooling Vegan Mama

Marinara Sauce.
Hate it!!!  I can do fresh tomatoes, canned/boxed tomatoes, or sauces that have tomato sauce as a base (like vodka sauce)...but not marinara.  It just tastes so gross to me!  Bleh Bleh Bleh...no thank you!

Peppers and Onions.
This one depends on how they're cooked.  I can do some finely chopped onions (especially shallots) that are sauteed down to almost nothing.  I can do onion powder.  I can also do peppers that are finely chopped and cooked "down to nothing."  If I have to bite into a chunk...I just can't.  Gah so gross.  I loathe onion rings with a passion.

Seaweed.
Other than using kelp flakes *sparingly* in my mock tuna salad...I can't do seaweed.  It tastes too fishy.  Roasted seaweed snacks are the worst because once they hit my saliva they get all gooey.  I have literally gagged and almost puked trying to eat them.

I think other than that I'm pretty open to just about everything!

#252 Old 03-21-2014, 11:58 AM
Veggie Regular

The only food I absolutely will not can not eat is brussels sprouts. Ugh. Maybe I just haven't had them cooked right, but with so many delicious foods in the world, I think I'll take my chances and just pass on those. 

Besides that, if I have the option to be picky I usually avoid:

Citrus fruits, especially lemon (except my beloved limes)

Bell pepper

Crunchy foods

Raw apples

Corn (unless it is fresh, local corn, or corn frozen from the same)

Store-bought bread (the fresh-baked stuff is fine - it's a texture thing)

Russet potatoes

Peanuts

Non-silken tofu

I'll eat all of those if they are served to me, but I really don't usually enjoy them. I do cook with bell pepper a lot because my boyfriend loves them though. 

#253 Old 03-21-2014, 03:40 PM
The Corpulent Vegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by erika20 View Post

I hate ketchup too, and tomatoes on their own. I've also been really disliking carrots lately, I'm not sure why. I used to like them. 

I dislike processed ketchup like heinz, but making it fresh with tomatoes at the peak of the summer heat is fantastic and worth saving.

That said, as far as veggies go about the only ones I wont eat are brussels sprouts, though I haven't tried cooking them myself yet. I hated them growing up. Then again I hated asparagus growing up and found out my parents didn't know how to cook it worth a crud so yeah...

It's better to burn out than fade away! - Def Leppard

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#254 Old 03-21-2014, 04:43 PM

Yellow Mustard, the devils food.

Pickles, except Bread and Butter, I like those.

Raw tomatoes, cooked is awesome.

Other than that, if it is a fruit, vegetable, legume or grain, I will eat it.

Fresh brussel sprouts oven roasted with garlic and onion, or sauteed and then toasted walnuts, cranraisins and honey or agave added, both are phenomenal.

#255 Old 03-21-2014, 04:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliakai View Post

I dislike processed ketchup like heinz, but making it fresh with tomatoes at the peak of the summer heat is fantastic and worth saving.

That said, as far as veggies go about the only ones I wont eat are brussels sprouts, though I haven't tried cooking them myself yet. I hated them growing up. Then again I hated asparagus growing up and found out my parents didn't know how to cook it worth a crud so yeah...

I like Heinz ketchup. Growing up, I refused to eat any ketchup, but as I've gotten older, I find I like it more (especially as part of my secret barbecue sauce). Now, I will say that I like the Heinz natural more since it's made with real sugar (as opposed to high fructose corn syrup), though I'd like it more if it was a little less sweet. I've never made my own ketchup, but perhaps I should consider it.

As for Brussels sprouts... erg.... I just don't like them and I know how to cook a veggie. As you found out, most people really overcook asparagus. I prefer my spears to still be a bit toothsome and not mushy.

Aristede:book: 

"Now listen, I know you've got to think about your image, 'cause image is important to you, because of course your friends are gonna dictate your actions through the rest of your lives, and I wouldn't want you to step away from them and become an individual, that would almost be too much!"...

#256 Old 03-25-2014, 07:25 AM

Don't know if I've posted this one already, but raw zucchini! I don't even like it all that much when it's cooked, but when it's raw?! I refuse to eat it. Ick, ick, ick.

I'm also not a fan of ketchup (I'm a mustard person through and through), store bought mayonnaise (homemade is much better), raw tomatoes, and seitan. 

#257 Old 03-25-2014, 11:35 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aristede View Post

As you found out, most people really overcook asparagus. I prefer my spears to still be a bit toothsome and not mushy.
Steamed is the best way to go, for many veggies. Boiled veggies always come out too mushy.

Not sure if I've mentioned feta cheese in this thread yet. I call it fetid cheese. That stuff is gross.

--Fromper
juggle.gif
#258 Old 03-25-2014, 11:55 AM
The Corpulent Vegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromper View Post

Steamed is the best way to go, for many veggies. Boiled veggies always come out too mushy.

Not sure if I've mentioned feta cheese in this thread yet. I call it fetid cheese. That stuff is gross.

--Fromper
juggle.gif

I enjoy fresh feta from time to time, but the stuff you can buy in the stores is awful. Personally, I find Bleu Cheese and Brie to be abhorrent. I've had one or two types of brie that were okay, but for the most part, they all seem to taste like mold to me, and Bleu Cheese is legitimately covered in mold! Bleh!

It's better to burn out than fade away! - Def Leppard

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#259 Old 03-25-2014, 12:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliakai View Post

I enjoy fresh feta from time to time, but the stuff you can buy in the stores is awful. Personally, I find Bleu Cheese and Brie to be abhorrent. I've had one or two types of brie that were okay, but for the most part, they all seem to taste like mold to me, and Bleu Cheese is legitimately covered in mold! Bleh!

I don't eat a lot of cheese, but I do like bleu cheese and brie. Now there are certain Brie that I don't like (I had one a few years ago that I wasn't terribly fond of), but I do like Brie en croute. I like feta, but I don't buy the variety in the container. I get mine fresh from the deli where it's packed in a saltwater solution to keep it fresh. 

"Now listen, I know you've got to think about your image, 'cause image is important to you, because of course your friends are gonna dictate your actions through the rest of your lives, and I wouldn't want you to step away from them and become an individual, that would almost be too much!"...

#260 Old 03-25-2014, 03:52 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aristede View Post

I don't eat a lot of cheese, but I do like bleu cheese and brie. Now there are certain Brie that I don't like (I had one a few years ago that I wasn't terribly fond of), but I do like Brie en croute. I like feta, but I don't buy the variety in the container. I get mine fresh from the deli where it's packed in a saltwater solution to keep it fresh. 

I still miss blue cheese apple and walnut salads! I sub olives, or sometimes I'll marinate firm tofu in miso which is good.

I hate winter squash. So sick of all recipes with butternut or acorn squash. Most of all the butternut squash soups! Blurgh!

And of course, avocados and cilantro

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#261 Old 03-25-2014, 04:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadrian View Post

I hate

Grapefruit.... (I just don't like it)

Hey, if it makes you feel any better, I physically cannot eat grapefruit, evidentally I'd get really sick if I did. I wasn't aware of this until I was 12. Good to kknow, mom. Thank-you for telling me when I'm way past the age of electing what I eat.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page