Forum Jump: 

#181 Old 06-23-2013, 09:49 AM
Veggie Regular

white rice, onions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#182 Old 06-25-2013, 11:44 AM
Veggie Regular

Hate is a strong term but that is axactly how I feel about raisins, The taste and texture is like rot and mold. I have the same problem with a lot of wines, when I drink some I can taste the rot and mold in them. How ever I love fresh grapes.

Other foods I just don't like; custards, (except for vegan pumpkin pie), cabbages of any variety, cauliflower, peaches and apricots, (Ironic since my parents have two apricot trees that produce buckets of them every year.), cilantro, anything with eggs in it.

Foods I adore; avocadoes, nectarines, citrus fruits of any type, chocolate, anise flavored things, my homemade chocolate chip cookies, etc, etc.

#183 Old 06-25-2013, 11:56 AM

Tomatoes. I feel sick just smelling/touching them. 

Funnily enough I can eat puree in things and have no problem with smooth pizza sauce.

But if there are even tiny bits of 'real' tomato and I get them in my mouth...I want to die.

I want to overcome this. I'm just not sure I can. It's probably a texture thing but they really haven't tasted good when I've accidentally bit into pieces before.

It makes things really awkward when eating out since often the only option on the menu is some kind of tomato sauce and pasta and I want to make myself seem like a non-fussy person in spite of all my dietary requirements. I really will eat ANY other plant foods. Yeugh.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#184 Old 07-10-2013, 07:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Soy yogurt

I'm also not a big fan of chickpeas unless it's in hummus.

I'm also finding I'm developing an aversion to white rice. This has just recently come on & I'm not sure why?!
#185 Old 07-10-2013, 07:53 PM
Veggie Regular

I like cooked onion but I don't really like fresh onion. It has a bad after taste.

Also, ginger. I don't like it.

#186 Old 07-13-2013, 06:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Mushrooms. All of them. Yuck. I've tried to overcome it and tried to enjoy them, but I'm resigned to disliking them forever, which is really a shame since a lot of restaurants seem to think vegetarian=mushroom lover.

#187 Old 07-16-2013, 08:07 AM
Veggie Regular

Mushrooms are a staple food for me. One of these days, I need to figure out how to cook portabella caps, since they sell fresh ones all the time at my local supermarket. They seem like just the right size to put on a bun and make a sandwich out of.

--Fromper
juggle.gif
#188 Old 07-16-2013, 08:34 AM
Veggie Regular

I usually brush the portabella caps with extra virgin olive oil and grill a few minutes on each side or you can brush with olive oil and broil a few minutes on each side in the oven grilled or sauteed` onions on top with a bun and your ready to go eat! smiley.gif
#189 Old 07-16-2013, 09:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Cilantro! I love Mexican, Thai, and Indian food and I can't get away from the stuff! I just can't develop a taste for it no matter how many times I try it. 

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/14/dining/14curious.html?_r=0

Quote:

Culinary sophistication is no guarantee of immunity from cilantrophobia. In a television interview in 2002, Larry King asked Julia Child which foods she hated. She responded: “Cilantro and arugula I don’t like at all. They’re both green herbs, they have kind of a dead taste to me.”

“So you would never order it?” Mr. King asked.

“Never,” she responded. “I would pick it out if I saw it and throw it on the floor.”

I like arugula in small quantities. But Julia Child's sentiment toward both cilantro and arugula is hilarious. surprised.gif

Aristede book2.gif

"Now listen, I know you've got to think about your image, 'cause image is important to you, because of course your friends are gonna dictate your actions through the rest of your lives, and I wouldn't want you to step away from them and become an individual, that would almost be too much!"...

#190 Old 07-18-2013, 01:12 AM
Veggie Regular

Mayo - I'm vegan, but when I are dairy and eggs, I couldn't stand the stuff

Butter/margarine: tastes horrible

Oils: hate the feeling it leaves in your mouth, like a film of grease that's just disgusting... I never cook with oils for that reason
#191 Old 09-23-2013, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath View Post

Tomatoes. I feel sick just smelling/touching them.

Funnily enough I can eat puree in things and have no problem with smooth pizza sauce.

But if there are even tiny bits of 'real' tomato and I get them in my mouth...I want to die.

I want to overcome this. I'm just not sure I can. It's probably a texture thing but they really haven't tasted good when I've accidentally bit into pieces before.

It makes things really awkward when eating out since often the only option on the menu is some kind of tomato sauce and pasta and I want to make myself seem like a non-fussy person in spite of all my dietary requirements. I really will eat ANY other plant foods. Yeugh.

I feel the same way. I've found I can tolerate them diced and mixed in with other stuff. But even eating those cherry tomatoes makes me cringe. I tend to force myself to eat them though, especially when it's only one or two in a salad.

#192 Old 09-23-2013, 10:51 AM

I don't like hummous. I had it once at a catered event and it was phenomenal. But anything I've had since is just horrendous. The restaurant isn't near me and I don't have a properly functional car so I can't get any. But if I could, I'd buy a large tub of it and just eat myself sick. I haven't had it in a good four years or so. It's making my mouth water now just thinking about it.

#193 Old 09-28-2013, 10:34 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaCaelum View Post

I don't like hummous. I had it once at a catered event and it was phenomenal. But anything I've had since is just horrendous. The restaurant isn't near me and I don't have a properly functional car so I can't get any. But if I could, I'd buy a large tub of it and just eat myself sick. I haven't had it in a good four years or so. It's making my mouth water now just thinking about it.

I'm picky about my hummus too. Once you've had it amazing, it's hard to go back. My favorite is the Sabra Olive.

#194 Old 09-28-2013, 12:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaCaelum View Post

I make my own hummus with ingredients that I like such as sun-dried tomatoes, kalamata olives, or roasted red peppers. The key is to use dried garbanzo (chickpeas) and then rehydrate them overnight in water and a few teaspoons of baking sodium (sodium bicarbonate). Then I cook them in fresh water for about 50 minutes - 1 hour at a steady simmer (I also like to add part of a Turkish bay leaf when I cook them since it imparts a lovely aroma and flavor). After that I just follow a hummus recipe as usual. Some people like tahini in their hummus and some don't. Since my local store doesn't carry it, I leave it out or I just use a few tablespoons of sesame seeds. Another key step is to use a blender, not a food processor, to make your own hummus since using a blender gives it the consistency that you find in restaurants. Canned beans can be used, but I don't think they taste as good.

Try this hummus recipe by Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero of Veganomicon fame. It's a great basic recipe and you can change it as you see fit. Once you start making your own hummus you won't go back to the store-bought ones. (Homemade is tastier and more economical!)

Aristede:book:

"Now listen, I know you've got to think about your image, 'cause image is important to you, because of course your friends are gonna dictate your actions through the rest of your lives, and I wouldn't want you to step away from them and become an individual, that would almost be too much!"...

#195 Old 09-28-2013, 12:25 PM
Veggie Regular

I didn't like hummus either the first time I tried it, but now I can't get enough. Chickpeas are amazing. So healthy and yet so tasty.

#196 Old 09-28-2013, 01:04 PM

Can't stand brussels sprouts or lima beans. Hummus, on the other hand, is awesome. Hummus spread + veggie burger = nom.

#197 Old 09-28-2013, 01:24 PM
Veggie Regular

I use hummus as a dip from Pita chips to veggies and as a spread for sandwichs and fallafels .... I agree with brussel sprouts not a fan either .....
#198 Old 09-28-2013, 03:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamizushi View Post

I didn't like hummus either the first time I tried it, but now I can't get enough. Chickpeas are amazing. So healthy and yet so tasty.

When I lived in Israel, I really hated hummus and olives. Within a short time of moving back to the UK, I couldn't get enough of them. 

#199 Old 09-28-2013, 04:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by leedsveg View Post

When I lived in Israel, I really hated hummus and olives. Within a short time of moving back to the UK, I couldn't get enough of them. 

Isn't it amazing how our tastes change over time? 

#200 Old 09-29-2013, 09:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aristede View Post

Isn't it amazing how our tastes change over time? 

It is. It seams like human beings have an amazing ability to learn to like whatever they eat.

#201 Old 09-29-2013, 10:12 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:

It is. It seams like human beings have an amazing ability to learn to like whatever they eat.

Except bell peppers. Yuck! :p

#202 Old 09-29-2013, 11:24 AM

I've recently developed an aversion to uncooked tomatoes. I used to love them, and now I can't stand them. Unless we're talking about those delicious beefsteak and roma tomatoes that are only available in the summer. Those, I can stand. 

I tend to go through phases where I dislike certain foods, though. Long standing ones include white bread (tastes like sawdust) and overcooked pasta (the texture is horrific!) Bananas used to also be a biggie but in this past month I've become gaga over them. Funny how that happens!

#203 Old 09-29-2013, 06:39 PM
Super Moderator

Last night I decided I officially hate tempeh. I tried to like it and came close with a vegan burger I had at a restaurant that had so many tasty condiments on it I could barely taste the tempeh. And there were other occasions where it was okay but I just wasn't into it.

But then last night I tried the Tofurky maple bacon tempeh and it literally made me gag a bit. I tried some raw and it was horrible, then I tried it well cooked and it was still nasty so I ended up throwing the whole package out.

It makes me sad because I know a lot of people love it and it' s in a lot of vegan recipes but I'm just going to have to sub it when necessary from now on.
Aristede likes this.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#204 Old 09-29-2013, 07:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

Last night I decided I officially hate tempeh. I tried to like it and came close with a vegan burger I had at a restaurant that had so many tasty condiments on it I could barely taste the tempeh. And there were other occasions where it was okay but I just wasn't into it.

But then last night I tried the Tofurky maple bacon tempeh and it literally made me gag a bit. I tried some raw and it was horrible, then I tried it well cooked and it was still nasty so I ended up throwing the whole package out.

It makes me sad because I know a lot of people love it and it' s in a lot of vegan recipes but I'm just going to have to sub it when necessary from now on.

Did you see my review of that Tofurky bacon? It's truly horrid. I did eat that whole pack over three different meals, but I put it in wraps to cover up the flavor. It's bad. And I've tried regular tempeh with a flavorful sauce, etc. I just can't find a way to like it. 

:spew:

Aristede :sick:

#205 Old 09-29-2013, 09:10 PM
Super Moderator

Tempeh and tomatoes are horrible, this is not new :p

#206 Old 10-01-2013, 02:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, I tried tempeh a couple of times, thinking maybe I'd just prepared it badly the first time, and now I just have a hard time believing anyone actually eats that stuff.

--Fromper
juggle.gif
#207 Old 10-01-2013, 02:34 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromper View Post

Yeah, I tried tempeh a couple of times, thinking maybe I'd just prepared it badly the first time, and now I just have a hard time believing anyone actually eats that stuff.

--Fromper
juggle.gif

That sums up my experience with cooking tempeh.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#208 Old 10-01-2013, 05:23 PM
Veggie Regular

I bought tempeh for the first time the other day. Still haven't opened the box, but now I'm scared. :(

Aristede likes this.
#209 Old 10-01-2013, 06:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I bought tempeh for the first time the other day. Still haven't opened the box, but now I'm scared. :(

But...you must open the box. There is no escape!!! :lol: 

Aristede :shifty:

#210 Old 10-01-2013, 07:25 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aristede View Post

But...you must open the box. There is no escape!!! :lol: 

Aristede :shifty:

If you don't eat it, it will eat you!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page