What are some foods that you hate? - Page 4 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#91 Old 02-14-2013, 02:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebroad567 View Post

I hate barbecue sauce and BBQ flavored chips. And i like Potato chips and fry.

Steve, I love BBQ sauce and BBQ flavored chips.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 Old 02-14-2013, 03:58 AM
Veggie Regular

It's supereasy! Just blend 1-2 bananas, 6 halawi dates (those fresh, soft dates you find in Asian supermarkets), 1 tbsp of unsweetened cocoa powder, some cinnamon (I'm a cinnamon fiend... Leave out if you don't like or substitute with something like a small dash of cayenne for a spicy kick!) and enough chocolate soy milk to make the blender...um... blend tongue3.gif I like my smoothies super-thick, as in eat-with-a-spoon-thick, so add as much milk as you want!

Yeah, I did that once! So yummy, but I rarely have the patience to wait for them, so I usually end up boiling them and then mixing them with nutritional yeast and soy souce while they're still warm. Salty, cheesy goodness! hungry.gif

#93 Old 02-14-2013, 04:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigen92 View Post

It's supereasy! Just blend 1-2 bananas, 6 halawi dates (those fresh, soft dates you find in Asian supermarkets), 1 tbsp of unsweetened cocoa powder, some cinnamon (I'm a cinnamon fiend... Leave out if you don't like or substitute with something like a small dash of cayenne for a spicy kick!) and enough chocolate soy milk to make the blender...um... blend tongue3.gif I like my smoothies super-thick, as in eat-with-a-spoon-thick, so add as much milk as you want!

Yeah, I did that once! So yummy, but I rarely have the patience to wait for them, so I usually end up boiling them and then mixing them with nutritional yeast and soy souce while they're still warm. Salty, cheesy goodness! hungry.gif

Wow that smoothie sounds so good. I am gonna get the dates the next time I am at the Asian Grocer. Mmmm. Thanks so much for sharing the recipe. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#94 Old 02-14-2013, 04:48 AM
Veggie Regular

No prob thumbsup.gif Tell me if you try it and like it! :D

#95 Old 02-15-2013, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigen92 View Post

This thread is fun! I used to think I wasn't a picky eater until I moved to the UK... Dear god, do you guys have weird tastes!

I really don't like fried foods, especially deep fried stuff, such as fries etc.

Marmite must be the creation of some demon from the underworld

Olives (but I'm trying to make myself like them... Now I can handle them when they're cut into tiny pieces and mixed with other food, such as a chickpea and sundried tomato salad)

Candy (yes, I'm strange... Though chocolate is my life)

Potato chips (any kind of chips really...)

Raw onions

Strong liquoer

Butter of any kind, dairy or plant based

Plain milk, used to like plain skimmed milk, but after going vegan I've yet to find a milk I can drink straight out of a glass. On cereal is fine, though!

Custard (pre-vegan days)

Cucumbers, though I can tolerate them in small doses

Dougnuts (just really greasy... My boyfriend loves them though!)

I have a bunch of non-vegan items I don't like, but I won't bother writing them down! grin.gif

you are so right about the butter!! I can have it in recipes, but if I can taste it ewwwww. Do you like the baked version of fried foods? like baked onion rings, pickles, fries?

the truth resists simplicity- John Green

#96 Old 02-15-2013, 06:19 AM

Most of mine have already been mentioned:

Okra

Fennel

Cilantro

raw mushrooms

cooked carrots

I love eggplant, but I am allergic.  bigcry.gif

#97 Old 02-15-2013, 07:40 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britt314 View Post

you are so right about the butter!! I can have it in recipes, but if I can taste it ewwwww. Do you like the baked version of fried foods? like baked onion rings, pickles, fries?

YAY! I feel so alone as a butter-hating person... Most people just look at me like I'm mad and then I mention my dislike of fried stuff and they just shake their heads in disbelief... tongue3.gif Yes, I usually like the baked versions! The reason why I don't like fried stuff is because of the film of oil that seems to cling to your lips and mouth and it's just not pleasant and really hard to get off! So I guess you could say that I dislike overt fat ;) Not fat in general though, nuts and peanut butter is basically crack for me. If it''s in the house, the jar of PB is polished off within days blush.gif

Britt314 likes this.
#98 Old 02-15-2013, 01:31 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon1976 View Post

OOOH do share that recipe for the banana date smoothie!!!! Have you ever tried baking chickpeas and making them crunchy and adding spices? I tried that once but I don't think that I cooked them long enough to crunchify them....

Every recipe for baked chickpeas adds oil - I've found they crisp best without any oil- not even the pan. I just sprinkle whatever spice, garlic powder, red pepper, salt and pepper, and bake at 400F. till they're done. Maybe 40 minutes?

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#99 Old 02-16-2013, 09:49 AM
Riot Nrrrd

Also with baked chickpeas the moisture content you start with is very important. One thing others have done that I do myself if starting with really wet chickpeas is to stick them in the oven for 15 minutes, take them out and let them cool, then stick 'em back in the oven for 30-45 minutes.

You can oven roast any bean - black beans are my favorite. I haven't seen anything other than chickpeas explode while oven roasting though.

But I digress ...

Add me to the olive dislikers. Especially black olives.

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255
#100 Old 02-17-2013, 05:34 PM
Beginner

citrus peel, sour orange, some vegetarian cheeses ( made as main ingredient vegetable oil), mint; cilantro, ginger

#101 Old 02-18-2013, 03:57 PM
Super Moderator

Anyone else constantly try foods they hate? Like you think you'll get over it! dizzy2.gif

I guess I can't get over just how horrible cilantro tastes, so if I'm around it, I taste some. It's still like laundry powder. 
I just tasted a bit of salsa with cilantro and again spit it out and rushed to rinse with water.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#102 Old 02-18-2013, 04:43 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post

Anyone else constantly try foods they hate? Like you think you'll get over it! dizzy2.gif

I guess I can't get over just how horrible cilantro tastes, so if I'm around it, I taste some. It's still like laundry powder. 
I just tasted a bit of salsa with cilantro and again spit it out and rushed to rinse with water.

yes I try ans retry we never know sometimes taste changes years after years. for example since I was born I could eat chocolate.. now I like eat for 2 years! dark chocolate of course!!!

as you, I tasted cilantro , but I really don"t like eat!!!! 

#103 Old 02-18-2013, 05:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Cranberry sauce. 

#104 Old 02-19-2013, 06:01 AM

This is going to be one hell of a dinner party...

I was never a picky kid, I liked brussels sprouts and spinach at a young age and still do. I couldn't stomach the taste of plain milk though, must have had something to do with my lactose intolerance. I couldn't get enough of it in chocolate form though.

Can't do eggplant, raw celery, popcorn, anything that sticks to my teeth as they are sensitive. And no matter how hard I tried I can't enjoy anything about alcohol. I've been to a handful of parties and have had it offered to me and all I can do is take a few well meaning sips, pour it out, replace with water, and enjoy watching everyone else get trashed.

#105 Old 02-19-2013, 07:20 AM
Veggie Regular

Just thought of another odd one. I used to like broccoli as a kid, but I really don't any more. I can tolerate it, when I order something that comes with broccoli at a restaurant, but it's probably my least favorite vegetable that I'll still eat, and I won't buy any from the supermarket to eat at home.

--Fromper
juggle.gif
#106 Old 02-19-2013, 08:51 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post

I do that with olives! I'm getting better at liking, or at least tolerating, them. Though I'm still not at the point where I can eat an olive by itself or eating a piece of one that is large enough for me to notice the texture, I now don't mind olives mixed in stuff such as hummus or salad. They need to be chopped up into tiny pieces though...

#107 Old 02-19-2013, 09:40 AM
Riot Nrrrd

Quote:
I guess I can't get over just how horrible cilantro tastes

Cilantro-hate is often genetic - there's no getting over it! 

I have it too. That stuff tastes like soap to me.

#108 Old 02-19-2013, 06:12 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in MPLS View Post

Cilantro-hate is often genetic - there's no getting over it! 

I have it too. That stuff tastes like soap to me.

cilantro hate is genetic? really?. 

#109 Old 02-20-2013, 03:23 AM
Riot Nrrrd

Quote:

cilantro hate is genetic? really?.

Yep. http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/14/dining/14curious.html?_r=0

Cilantro haters even have a place on the web of their own: http://ihatecilantro.com/

#110 Old 02-22-2013, 05:58 AM
Veggie Regular

Hemp milk and alcoholic drinks are the only 'foods' I hate! no.gif

"Treat others as you wish to be treated."

- The Golden Rule

"No snowflake in an avalanche feels responsible."

- Voltair

"Be the change you wish to see in the world."

- Mahatma Ghandi

"Even dust piled up will grow into a mountain."

- Japanese Proverb

#111 Old 02-22-2013, 07:23 PM
Veggie Regular

I hate the smell of all spice....never liked it!

"With confidence, you have won before you have started" - Marcus Garvey
#112 Old 02-23-2013, 02:44 PM
Beginner

I hate coffee too. I like the smell but the taste no at all. I think it is the coffee in general. not only the coffee to drink, but also a cookie or icecream with coffee I cannot eat it!

#113 Old 02-24-2013, 07:35 PM

I hate brussel sprouts

“All that we are is the result of what we have thought. The mind is everything. What we think we become.”-Buddha
#114 Old 03-01-2013, 10:08 AM

I hate:
Blue cheese (funky and nasty)
Peas
Mustard
Beets (plain ugly)
Mushrooms (like eating rubber)
Chocolate ice cream (nasty)
Curry (stinky and too spicy)
Avocado
Coconut (blech)
Watermelon and all other melons (like eating crunchy water)
Raisins (EW!)
Sweet Potatoes
Plaintains (I HATE THEM!)
Vinegar flavored chips
Jelly and jam
Barbecue sauce
Apples
Oranges
Spaghetti and marinara sauce
Tomato sauce
Garlic
Onion
Olives
Potato bread
Sesame seed bagels and buns
Fruit juice of any kind
Spinach
Tomatoes
Candy corn
Walnuts
Soy nut butter
Dumplings
Fruity cereals except Apple Jacks (fruit loops, fruity pebbles- all YUCK)
MAYO! (I hated it even before I became a lacto vegetarian)
Cheese or barbecue sauce flavored chips
Flavored popcorn
Pistachios
Butter pecan ice cream
Hazelnut flavored anything
Cabbage
Sour cream
Peppermint flavored anything
Mozzarella cheese
Romano cheese
Carrot cake
Red velvet cake
Jello
Yogurt
Pickles
Peppers
Ginger
Cilantro
Thyme
Green onion
Coco cola
Root beer
Honey
#115 Old 03-01-2013, 10:47 AM

Mushrooms

Cilantro

Seaweed :(

Turnips

#116 Old 03-09-2013, 07:25 AM

I can't stand beets or chard.  Taste like a big handful of dirt to me.  And although I cook with it pretty often, I'm fairly grossed out by nutritional yeast!

#117 Old 03-09-2013, 07:33 AM
Veggie Regular

cucumbers and pumpkin pie. 

I tried for a long time to like pumpkin pie, but it was no use.  Yuck.

~Ok, she's deranged. But so, so playful.~
#118 Old 03-09-2013, 10:28 AM

Tried them a couple of times but I can't get over the slime factor of okra. First time I cooked them I thought I must have done something very wrong.

http://www.vegetarianbreakfastrecipes.net
#119 Old 03-09-2013, 12:35 PM
Tom
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by leedsveg View Post

Where I used to work, somebody brought back some durian flavoured sweets from their holiday (Malaysia?) and I was the only one who liked them. Pulled a few fillings out of my teeth but never mind. tongue3.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Britt314 View Post

I am REPLUSED by: grapefruit, beets, fennel seed, green olives, and cucumbers.

And I dislike: french fries, most chips, cooked cabbage, hot peppers, and sour candy.

Now I feel like I need to find some of this durian everyone is talking about.... never even heard of it.

As I understand it, durian tastes wonderfully sweet... it just smells like.... well, VERY strong and VERY BAD. I've heard different descriptions of the odor. Perhaps the candy wasn't smelly?...

I think I read someplace that they developed a durian that didn't smell God-awful, but it hasn't caught on. Some places ban durian from the premises because the odor is so offensive.

Britt- I think we're almost polar opposites, tastewise. I can eat grapefruit like an orange- no sugar, even! French fries and chips are always in danger of becoming an addiction to me. Okay- I guess we agree on hot peppers (see below) and I can take or leave fennel seed- too licoricey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auxin View Post

I used to have foods I didnt like, then something just clicked and I can like anything now by simply being willing to.

I've tested it- bitter melon, durian, pickled and subsequently sun dried cuttlefish in my pre-veggie days, all sorts of things and all the typical american foods.

Its like a super power, if society collapses I'll be fine on fresh dandelions and tree bark, in fact birch tree leaves are a source of protein... in case any post apocalyptic omni-zombies ask where I get it laugh.gif

Can anyone else simply like things at will?

I've tried cilantro several times, and it still smells bad to me and tastes like soap. If I order something in a restaurant, I don't ask them to leave cilantro out, and I have eaten foods with it rather than have them go to waste. Cilantro doesn't make me physically ill or anything. But if I'm making something from scratch and the recipe calls for cilantro, I just don't bother anymore. I wish I could like it.

Now, these hot chili peppers they keep developing that max out the Scoville scale... what's THAT about? These ghost peppers and things that make Habaneros seem wimpy by comparison... that's not food, it's a biological weapon.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#120 Old 03-09-2013, 03:33 PM
Poo Pie Head

The ghost pepper (bhut jalokia) is natural, it wasn't developed. And yes, it was used in India as a weapon for centuries! The question of if it is food or not... Dunno, but some like it hot! (like me!)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page