What are some foods that you hate? - Page 3 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#61 Old 02-09-2013, 11:21 PM
Newbie
 
orangesteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: In the TARDIS
Posts: 64

This isn't going to be a long list...I used to be an extremely picky eater when I was a kid and up until my young teens, but I've since mostly grown out of it.  For example, I used to absolutely HATE onions, mustard, and avocados (among many other things), but now I love all three!

 

I hate any kind of peppers except for basic ground black pepper, which I only like on certain things and in very small amounts.  I just...I cannot tolerate spicy food, and even with the non-spicy peppers I can't stand the flavor.

 

Raisins.  Always have hated them.  I love all types of grapes, though.  In the same vein, any type of candy with that over-sweet artificial purple "grape" flavor is an abomination.

 

Eggplant.  I don't know what it is about it that makes me hate it so much, since I absolutely adore yellow squash and zucchini...it just tastes...off...to me.

 

Popcorn, but only because it always gets stuck in my teeth.  :(  Way too annoying to even bother with.

 

Mangoes.

 

...That's all that really comes to mind.

orangesteve is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#62 Old 02-10-2013, 12:35 PM
 
Crystal Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 285

This thread is really funny.

 

I also used to historically hate a lot of things that I refused to eat in childhood, and then realised my adult pallet quite liked all those things. Becoming vegan has made me even more adventurous with what I will try, and I tend to like just about everything.

 

Something I would NEVER eat as a kid was bananas. As I got older, I learned to enjoy them in baked goods. More recently, I have been having them in smoothies and even in desserts where they are still in their original form (like banoffee pie). I have even graduated to eating them thinly sliced on toast with peanut butter or in crepes, which is actually quite delicious.

 

But I still cannot bite into and eat a whole banana. I've tried, god help me I've tried, but I just can't do it.

 

Yeah, and the fruity chocolates in selection boxes. Not that those are really a problem anymore because I don't eat dairy.

 

Oh yeah, and grainy apples. Blegh. I love crisp, sweet or tart apples. But grainy ones make my hair stand on end. Same with grainy pears. Not that I ever eat pears because they're liable to be grainy.

Crystal Lotus is offline  
#63 Old 02-10-2013, 08:28 PM
 
tidesandtows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 8

I cannot eat olives. I've tried so many times to develop a taste for them but I just can't. The consistency is so... ick... and then the taste itself! Ew haha. I also really dislike raw onions, but cooked/carmelized onions are okay in some things. Sour cream and mayonnaise disgust me if they're on something like a baked potato or a sandwich, but if they're mixed in with a dip that's okay.

 

Other than that, I'm not too picky :) 

tidesandtows is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#64 Old 02-11-2013, 12:28 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Huckleberry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 703
Asparagus, kale, cilantro I can't stand, otherwise I am not a really picky eater.
Huckleberry is offline  
#65 Old 02-11-2013, 01:47 AM
Oryzatarian
 
Auxin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: USDA z7a
Posts: 1,359

I used to have foods I didnt like, then something just clicked and I can like anything now by simply being willing to.

I've tested it- bitter melon, durian, pickled and subsequently sun dried cuttlefish in my pre-veggie days, all sorts of things and all the typical american foods.

Its like a super power, if society collapses I'll be fine on fresh dandelions and tree bark, in fact birch tree leaves are a source of protein... in case any post apocalyptic omni-zombies ask where I get it laugh.gif

 

Can anyone else simply like things at will?

Auxin is offline  
#66 Old 02-11-2013, 02:09 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Ewe Nanny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auxin View Post

I used to have foods I didnt like, then something just clicked and I can like anything now by simply being willing to.

I've tested it- bitter melon, durian, pickled and subsequently sun dried cuttlefish in my pre-veggie days, all sorts of things and all the typical american foods.

Its like a super power, if society collapses I'll be fine on fresh dandelions and tree bark, in fact birch tree leaves are a source of protein... in case any post apocalyptic omni-zombies ask where I get it laugh.gif

 

Can anyone else simply like things at will?


I hate bitter melon (in the only way I've prepared it) but pretty much everything else I've tried I've not neccesarily loved or liked, but just not disliked!

 

I've eaten clover and other wild plants before and not disliked them, so I guess we would be the only survivors! surprised.gif


"Treat others as you wish to be treated."

- The Golden Rule

"No snowflake in an avalanche feels responsible."

- Voltair

"Be the change you wish to see in the world."

- Mahatma Ghandi

"Even dust piled up will grow into a mountain."

- Japanese Proverb

Ewe Nanny is offline  
#67 Old 02-11-2013, 07:43 AM
 
Crystal Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auxin View Post

I used to have foods I didnt like, then something just clicked and I can like anything now by simply being willing to.

I've tested it- bitter melon, durian, pickled and subsequently sun dried cuttlefish in my pre-veggie days, all sorts of things and all the typical american foods.

Its like a super power, if society collapses I'll be fine on fresh dandelions and tree bark, in fact birch tree leaves are a source of protein... in case any post apocalyptic omni-zombies ask where I get it laugh.gif

 

Can anyone else simply like things at will?

 

I know what you mean about something "clicking" and you realise you can enjoy foods if you are willing to. I find it's a process of graduation often, as in, you decide you're going to eat something and like it, and even if you don't LIKE it, you deem it to be "okay". Then after a while of eating something and it being "okay", you do start to actually like it, even enjoy it. Before you know it, you're craving it.

 

I also find I will always eat anything I make myself, even if it's not a resounding success, even if it's a borderline disaster. I will eat it because I made it, which makes it more palatable somehow (probably if someone else had made that same thing I'd find it harder to stomach). Plus I hate wasting food.

Crystal Lotus is offline  
#68 Old 02-11-2013, 10:19 AM
Arrrg! Me mateys.
 
Puppet Master's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 5,591
Mushrooms, eggplant, and tomatoes. I'm cool with things like ketchup, spaghetti sauce, pizza sauce, chili, etc., because it doesn't taste like tomatoes, but if there's chunks of tomatoes, whole tomatoes, fresh tomatoes, anything that tastes like tomato, I will not eat it or will pick it out. If eggplant and mushrooms and chopped very tiny or are hidden or masked well (like Amy's Roasted Vegetable pizza, I don't always have to pick the mushrooms off) it's fine and I don't have many objections to eating them, but big chunks or slices or whole eggplant and mushroom? Nope, get away!


Oh, and tempeh. Terrible. You can't cover that taste no matter how hard you try. Though I have no problems with it's moldiness, it tastes terrible.

korrakorrakorrakorrakorra
Puppet Master is offline  
#69 Old 02-11-2013, 10:25 AM
Arrrg! Me mateys.
 
Puppet Master's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 5,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangesteve View Post

  In the same vein, any type of candy with that over-sweet artificial purple "grape" flavor is an abomination.
I got sick one time when I was around 7 just from smelling grape kool-aid being made, and swore off anything grape that is not actually from grapes. No juice, no popsicles, no candy, no medicine. I also can't stand fake watermelon flavor. Though fake cherry is usually ok, but not always.
Jennifer C likes this.

korrakorrakorrakorrakorra
Puppet Master is offline  
#70 Old 02-11-2013, 11:05 AM
 
shay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 5

Love this! Makes me feel much less odd for my irrational hated of peaches and raw onion.

 

I think my aversion to peaches comes from a boy I used to date who used peach-flavored chewing tobacco. While he hunted. Now I can't stand either of them =P.

 

And I can't eat anything with raw onion, almost to the point where I cant even eat something that USED to have raw onion on it. Makes it very hard to buy pre-made salsa or guacamole!

 

<3

shay is offline  
#71 Old 02-11-2013, 12:43 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chester, VA
Posts: 1,603

Yeah I didn't care for bitter melon either, yuck. 

shannon1976 is offline  
#72 Old 02-11-2013, 01:09 PM
Ankle Biter
 
Poppy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Central Virginia, USA
Posts: 9,333
Not like tempeh? huh.gif Did you steam it first? Need to steam it for 20 minutes, then it's wonderful. yes.gif

Actually I like everything. Seriously. I used to not like cucumbers, but now I do.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
Poppy is offline  
#73 Old 02-11-2013, 01:43 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 4,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon1976 View Post

I hate durian, it is disgusting. It stinks and it tastes awful. 

Where I used to work, somebody brought back some durian flavoured sweets from their holiday (Malaysia?) and I was the only one who liked them. Pulled a few fillings out of my teeth but never mind. tongue3.gif

leedsveg is offline  
#74 Old 02-11-2013, 02:10 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chester, VA
Posts: 1,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy View Post

Not like tempeh? huh.gif Did you steam it first? Need to steam it for 20 minutes, then it's wonderful. yes.gif

Actually I like everything. Seriously. I used to not like cucumbers, but now I do.

I was also wondering if they steamed it. I even remember reading some recipes and even on a package of tempeh that it did not mention to steam it, and I was like "WTF, mate you have to steam it"....Anyways...My husband doesn't like it for some reason either. I love it but I hardly buy it since he hates it.

shannon1976 is offline  
#75 Old 02-11-2013, 02:15 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chester, VA
Posts: 1,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by shay View Post

Love this! Makes me feel much less odd for my irrational hated of peaches and raw onion.

 

I think my aversion to peaches comes from a boy I used to date who used peach-flavored chewing tobacco. While he hunted. Now I can't stand either of them =P.

 

And I can't eat anything with raw onion, almost to the point where I cant even eat something that USED to have raw onion on it. Makes it very hard to buy pre-made salsa or guacamole!

 

<3

I like raw onions on veggie dogs, veggie subs...I don't really like it in salsa or guacamole if they are raw since to me it clashes with the flavor but I will still eat it...I like cooked onions on veggie burgers but not raw....I hate raw onions in salad. Not sure why it is this way with me. Especially big pieces of onions like the ones in the OG (Olive Garden) salads. I leave those in the bowl/on my plate. Bleh. I think it overpowers the rest of the food is why I don't like it in the salads too.

shannon1976 is offline  
#76 Old 02-11-2013, 11:38 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chester, VA
Posts: 1,603

I don't like lentils unless it is lentil soup and then I don't like eating that often. A lot of people like lentil loaf and I made some and I didn't really like it.

 

ETA how did I forget mujadara? I freakin' love that and it has lentils in it but only from the Mediterranean Deli in Richmond. I can't make it taste as good as theirs.

shannon1976 is offline  
#77 Old 02-12-2013, 07:01 AM
Newbie
 
Britt314's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 71

I am REPLUSED by: grapefruit, beets, fennel seed, green olives, and cucumbers.

And I dislike: french fries, most chips, cooked cabbage, hot peppers, and sour candy.

 

I had a MUCH longer list before becoming vegetarian. I used to actually gag at mustard, now I don't even mind mustard if it's mixed in with something.

 

Now I feel like I need to find some of this durian everyone is talking about.... never even heard of it.


the truth resists simplicity- John Green

Britt314 is offline  
#78 Old 02-12-2013, 07:12 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chester, VA
Posts: 1,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britt314 View Post

Now I feel like I need to find some of this durian everyone is talking about.... never even heard of it.

I tried it because Anthony Bourdain loves it and Andrew Zimmern hates it.  I tried it in a bubble tea and it was nasty as hell (and it was the actual fruit in there not just a powder). My fave bubble tea, BTW is taro. Yummers. In any case, head over to the Vietnamese part of town and order a bubble tea with it in there or go to the Asian store, they will have the fruit and sometimes they have it pre-cut in little containers.

 

shannon1976 is offline  
#79 Old 02-12-2013, 07:42 AM
 
AugustFlower35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 109

Oh, and raw tomatoes. For the life of me, I cannot just bite into a tomato. I had cherry tomatoes on my salad last night, tried one, and well, it wasn't the yummiest bite of the salad.  In fact, I nearly spit it out.

 

Yet, I love tomato sauce, ketchup, tomato soup, salsa, and soommeeetimes, I like a VERY thin slice of tomato on a veggie sub.

 

Also, I'm super picky about condiments. I hate it when peanut butter is too thick. I probably only use 2 teaspoons on a sandwich. But I love peanut butter! And then, with a Boca Burger, I use like, a tablespoon for the entire thing. I hate mustard, unless it's in egg salad, potato salad, or deviled eggs (I'm a vegetarian. Tried vegan.....Just wasn't for me!).  

AugustFlower35 is offline  
#80 Old 02-12-2013, 08:05 AM
Newbie
 
Britt314's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon1976 View Post

I tried it because Anthony Bourdain loves it and Andrew Zimmern hates it.  I tried it in a bubble tea and it was nasty as hell (and it was the actual fruit in there not just a powder). My fave bubble tea, BTW is taro. Yummers. In any case, head over to the Vietnamese part of town and order a bubble tea with it in there or go to the Asian store, they will have the fruit and sometimes they have it pre-cut in little containers.

 

 



Hmmmm I'm thinking I should avoid this fruit at all costs on second thought.


the truth resists simplicity- John Green

Britt314 is offline  
#81 Old 02-12-2013, 08:05 AM
Newbie
 
Britt314's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 71

Oh and as far as drinks go I hate soda and beer. < I am so weird.


the truth resists simplicity- John Green

Britt314 is offline  
#82 Old 02-12-2013, 03:26 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chester, VA
Posts: 1,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britt314 View Post

Oh and as far as drinks go I hate soda and beer. < I am so weird.

I am with you on the beer, it is vile and I have tried different kinds. I love soda though....

shannon1976 is offline  
#83 Old 02-12-2013, 03:46 PM
Vegan Very Metal
 
vincent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Neither here nor there
Posts: 774
Mushrooms, tasteless pieces of turd. Sweetcorn, vomit inducing, yellow perils from the depths of Hades.

What do you people think about apricots?
vincent is offline  
#84 Old 02-12-2013, 04:24 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chester, VA
Posts: 1,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent View Post

Mushrooms, tasteless pieces of turd. Sweetcorn, vomit inducing, yellow perils from the depths of Hades.

What do you people think about apricots?

LMAO....

 

I have not seen fresh apricots...like ever in the stores here and that is weird as **** now that I think of it. So I can't really say about the fresh ones. I like apricot nectar in smoothies. I hate hate hate (yes to the third power) dried apricots.... Weird freaky texture and off flavor. I do like the "all fruit" apricot preserves. 

shannon1976 is offline  
#85 Old 02-13-2013, 07:02 AM
Veggie Regular
 
sigen92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 441

This thread is fun! I used to think I wasn't a picky eater until I moved to the UK... Dear god, do you guys have weird tastes!

 

I really don't like fried foods, especially deep fried stuff, such as fries etc.

Marmite must be the creation of some demon from the underworld

Olives (but I'm trying to make myself like them... Now I can handle them when they're cut into tiny pieces and mixed with other food, such as a chickpea and sundried tomato salad)

Candy (yes, I'm strange... Though chocolate is my life)

Potato chips (any kind of chips really...)

Raw onions

Strong liquoer

Butter of any kind, dairy or plant based

Plain milk, used to like plain skimmed milk, but after going vegan I've yet to find a milk I can drink straight out of a glass. On cereal is fine, though!

Custard (pre-vegan days)

Cucumbers, though I can tolerate them in small doses

Dougnuts (just really greasy... My boyfriend loves them though!)

 

I have a bunch of non-vegan items I don't like, but I won't bother writing them down! grin.gif

sigen92 is offline  
#86 Old 02-13-2013, 09:34 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chester, VA
Posts: 1,603

I wish that I didn't like fries or potato chips. Or fried food. Or doughnuts. Frozen custard is the best ice cream ever. I only like chickpeas in burgers/falafel and hummus and only roasted red pepper hummus. I will eat them other ways but I don't like them any other way than that really. I rarely eat candy but it is good for the most part. I love chocolate. I like to drink the chocolate soy milk plain and also the Silk Nog straight or with bourbon wink3.gif

shannon1976 is offline  
#87 Old 02-13-2013, 10:46 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chester, VA
Posts: 1,603

I don't like popcorn really and it is really annoying that the kernels stick in my teeth. I do like the white cheddar popcorn but I haven't had that since I went vegetarian so a long time now. However I love mangoes and still eat them fresh even though the fibers stick in my teeth because they are just that good IMO. I don't really like dried foods except for raisins, sometimes apples, strawberries, cherries, dates, coconut, bananas and my fave cranberries. So more than I thought that I even liked... I don't like "jerky" and didn't like it when I ate meat either. Oh and cinnamon raisin peanut butter is way too sweet and I cannot eat it.

shannon1976 is offline  
#88 Old 02-13-2013, 11:18 PM
Veggie Regular
 
sigen92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon1976 View Post

I wish that I didn't like fries or potato chips. Or fried food. Or doughnuts. Frozen custard is the best ice cream ever. I only like chickpeas in burgers/falafel and hummus and only roasted red pepper hummus. I will eat them other ways but I don't like them any other way than that really. I rarely eat candy but it is good for the most part. I love chocolate. I like to drink the chocolate soy milk plain and also the Silk Nog straight or with bourbon wink3.gif

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon1976 View Post

I don't like popcorn really and it is really annoying that the kernels stick in my teeth. I do like the white cheddar popcorn but I haven't had that since I went vegetarian so a long time now. However I love mangoes and still eat them fresh even though the fibers stick in my teeth because they are just that good IMO. I don't really like dried foods except for raisins, sometimes apples, strawberries, cherries, dates, coconut, bananas and my fave cranberries. So more than I thought that I even liked... I don't like "jerky" and didn't like it when I ate meat either. Oh and cinnamon raisin peanut butter is way too sweet and I cannot eat it.

 

Hahaha, funny thing, I LOVE chickpeas (I eat them as snacks, straight after boiling them), popcorn is delish and dried foods is what makes my world go round (that and chocolate, of course!) I've had the chocolate soy milk and that is passable as drinking-straight-out-of-glass beverage! However, I don't tend to drink it that way after I found out it makes a banana-date smoothie taste like rich. creamy heaven.

sigen92 is offline  
#89 Old 02-13-2013, 11:48 PM
 
stevebroad567's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 7

I hate barbecue sauce and BBQ flavored chips. And i like Potato chips and fry.

stevebroad567 is offline  
#90 Old 02-14-2013, 01:58 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chester, VA
Posts: 1,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigen92 View Post

 

 

Hahaha, funny thing, I LOVE chickpeas (I eat them as snacks, straight after boiling them), popcorn is delish and dried foods is what makes my world go round (that and chocolate, of course!) I've had the chocolate soy milk and that is passable as drinking-straight-out-of-glass beverage! However, I don't tend to drink it that way after I found out it makes a banana-date smoothie taste like rich. creamy heaven.

OOOH do share that recipe for the banana date smoothie!!!! Have you ever tried baking chickpeas and making them crunchy and adding spices? I tried that once but I don't think that I cooked them long enough to crunchify them....

shannon1976 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off