What are some foods that you hate? - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#31 Old 02-04-2013, 02:10 PM
Super Moderator

This is interesting!

HATE--

cilantro, avocados, more than a teensy bit of cumin, those cellophane noodles that taste like plastic, flowery tastes like lavender and rose-esp. in teas

Much dislike--sweet potatoes, winter squash, chipotle peppers, unsweetened almond milk (sweetened is yum!), amaretto, 

I'm going to add-

Love--

olives-all olives, mushrooms, rhubarb, asparagus, tofu.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 02-04-2013, 02:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Yogurt spew.gif
Not exaggerating. I can't force myself to swallow the stuff without puking. It's that bad. I can't understand how anyone considers this stuff edible.

I don't like tempeh, but I've only tried it twice, and I may have cooked it wrong the first time. I feel more confident in my dislike for it since trying some that was prepared by someone else and still not liking it.

I like the flavor of tomatoes, but I can't get past the squishy texture. So I like tomato based sauces, but I won't eat them raw.

I never liked the taste of plain milk. Now that I've switched to soy milk, I don't like the taste of plain soy milk, either. They're both neutral enough flavors that I can use them in cereal and let the cereal overpower the milk taste, but I'll never drink a glass of either plain dairy or soy milk. I do drink chocolate milk, though. Only soy these days, but I used to do chocolate dairy milk, despite not liking white milk.

Cilantro - I buy this stuff all the time to feed my bunny, but I never eat it. For that matter, I never stole his kale, either, though I stopped buying that for him for health reasons (he started peeing white, so the vet said to cut back on the calcium in his diet). We share most other veggies I buy for him, though - carrots, romaine, parsley, green leaf, spinach (though I don't give him spinach).

--Fromper
juggle.gif
#33 Old 02-04-2013, 04:03 PM
Tom
Veggie Regular

I can't say I truly hate any food, but cilantro in any dish makes it less palatable for me than it would have been otherwise. I've heard people who like cilantro describe it, and if I could subjectively experience it as they do I'd love it... but all I get is a foul smell and soapy taste.

I don't like beer or any hard alcohol. Okay- I changed my mind- I do hate hard alcohol like whiskey. And those hot chilis that actually hurt you when you eat them, like habanero! Jalapenos are fine though.

I don't hate zucchini, but it's usually so bland and watery that it's sort of a waste of time. Except that I did once have a meal with zucchini chips, and those were good...

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 02-04-2013, 05:34 PM
Banned

I love potatoes, avocados, I like cilantro in most things.....

Curry....I have to be in the right frame of mind to eat this stuff now. Chris and I loved curry and we ate it a lot. One night I made some and we ate it and we apparently were getting sick with an intestinal flu and we were sick for about a week. Chris and I called it "curry disease" and I have since had my gallbladder removed, stones removed and had a colonoscopy and without a doubt curry disease hands down was the worst. Hey at least at the hospital I had dilaudid (and anti-nausea meds that to me I could taste when they injected them, weird stuff).

ETA: here is another one for you. Once when I was young my grandma let me eat two big, I mean huge pieces of red velvet cake and I was violently ill from overindulgence. To this day if I think about it or even see a pic of red velvet I feel sick.

#35 Old 02-04-2013, 07:13 PM

I can't stand the texture of bananas, to the point at which they are inedible, which is a shame because I like the taste :(.

-Slave. 

#36 Old 02-04-2013, 07:14 PM

I hate beets, tofu, tempeh, cucumbers, cottage cheese, yogurt, quinoa (I'm very sad about that one and I keep trying it in different ways because it's so good for you that I want to like it so badly) and probably a few other things but I am a lot less picky than when I was a meat eater, I've learned to like so many things now.

#37 Old 02-04-2013, 07:50 PM
Banned

NORI...how could I forget this one? I hate that crap. The texture and taste are nasty to me. I won't usually buy Chinese Cracker mix because they put it into the crackers. My husband doesn't have an issue with it. I love quinoa. Cottage cheese is okay.

#38 Old 02-04-2013, 09:47 PM
Potatotarian

Quinoa and arugula (which is very sad because I planted some one year and it grew extremely well, then I tasted it - yuck!).  

#39 Old 02-04-2013, 09:56 PM
Banned

I don't like arugula either, it is too peppery for me.

#40 Old 02-05-2013, 08:44 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't know if I've ever actually tried arugula. Or brussel sprouts, for that matter.

There's a few things in this thread I've never tried, I think.

--Fromper
juggle.gif
#41 Old 02-05-2013, 12:05 PM
Banned

I thought of some more. Although I love most whole grain/whole wheat things I hate whole wheat pasta. I have tried many different brands and hate them all. Canned pears. The texture is not right. Soft raw apples. So gross. Raw apples to me are supposed be crisp. About any Pepsi product. I don't really like rice unless it is with a stir fry (and still don't really like it) or like Spanish rice where it has other ingredients in it. Oh Miracle Whip. That is nasty stuff there. It is too sweet and I was glad when I discovered mayo. My grandma for some reason loved Miracle Whip and bought it all of the time when I was young. I don't like tofu unless it is baked or it is fried. Not a fan of jicama either. A lot of prep and I hate the taste. Fried pickles. So disgusting. Oh and I will not eat sweet potato casserole. It is overly sweet and makes me feel ill when I eat it. What a waste of perfectly good sweet potatoes.

ETA: I hate kasha.

#42 Old 02-05-2013, 12:09 PM
Super Moderator

I also hate whole wheat pasta even though I love other whole wheat things, it's weird.

And I hate raw celery even though all my friends and boyfriend make fun of me for it and claim it has no taste. It DOES have a taste, and it's evil, I hate the stringy texture too.

I also don't like red chard even though it looks pretty, too bitter. spew.gif

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#43 Old 02-05-2013, 12:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

I also hate whole wheat pasta even though I love other whole wheat things, it's weird.

And I hate raw celery even though all my friends and boyfriend make fun of me for it and claim it has no taste. It DOES have a taste, and it's evil, I hate the stringy texture too.

I also don't like red chard even though it looks pretty, too bitter. spew.gif

Yes raw celery has a weird taste and I also hate the stringy texture. It always gets stuck in my teeth too. I totally agree with you.

I have never tried red chard.

#44 Old 02-05-2013, 12:59 PM

I have a couple more: celery (cooked or raw, though I can tolerate it cooked if I have to) and sweet potatoes.

#45 Old 02-05-2013, 02:00 PM

so much HATE in this thread!!!

Jennifer C likes this.
#46 Old 02-05-2013, 03:05 PM
Tom
Veggie Regular

Forgot to mention- I don't care for millet. But it has a rather mild taste and I think I could learn to like it.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#47 Old 02-05-2013, 04:44 PM
Banned

"so what she/he keeps talking about you and hating on you. What do you think a "hater's" job is..to hate. if u have someone hating on u right now u better think of how to get 5 more ppl hating by Christmas. You need haters to make you stronger..w/o haters most ppl wouldn't try to become better. Just tell them "b*tch u just hate me b/c u can't be me..." Katt Williams

nervehold likes this.
#48 Old 02-05-2013, 04:58 PM
Veggie Regular

I totally agree on the olives. They are vile. Many foods I don't like I can handle if hidden in other things, like mushrooms. Not olives. That taste permeates everything they touch.

For the quinoa haters, it needs to be rinsed before cooking or it can taste bitter.

#49 Old 02-05-2013, 05:15 PM
Veggie Regular

i cant stand Tofu!spew.gif

#50 Old 02-05-2013, 05:37 PM
Veggie Regular

I dislike pineapple by itself, but I like pineapple juice. I also dislike the string in snow peas, removing them is such a PITA. Can't say I really hate any food, I'll eat almost anything.
#51 Old 02-05-2013, 07:31 PM
Banned

Here is another weird one. I don't like miso in soups and most sauces but I love miso mayo (I make my own).

#52 Old 02-06-2013, 03:38 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon1976 View Post

Here is another weird one. I don't like miso in soups and most sauces but I love miso mayo (I make my own).

I do like miso but never mixed it in mayo!!

Thank you!

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#53 Old 02-06-2013, 05:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post

I do like miso but never mixed it in mayo!!

Thank you!

You are very welcome. I love it on veggie subs and Sun Burgers.

#54 Old 02-06-2013, 10:57 PM
Banned

Here is another one. I love most any tea but green. I know it is super healthy and good for you but I don't like it. I have a whole box of it in the cabinet but I always make the other teas.

#55 Old 02-07-2013, 02:15 AM
Riot Nrrrd

GRAPEFRUIT! Blech ...

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255
#56 Old 02-07-2013, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in MPLS View Post

GRAPEFRUIT! Blech ...

Evidently, you've yet to taste a Ruby red from the Rio Grande Valley in south Texas. They're fantastic. Just the right amount of sweet.

#57 Old 02-07-2013, 07:25 AM

i love vegetables but im allergic to aubergines so i hate them. 

#58 Old 02-07-2013, 12:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpaul View Post

Evidently, you've yet to taste a Ruby red from the Rio Grande Valley in south Texas. They're fantastic. Just the right amount of sweet.

I am with you on the Ruby Reds I love them and I like drinking the Ruby Red juice from time to time.

#59 Old 02-08-2013, 07:12 PM

Brussle (if I spelled that correctly) sprouts. Gick! Most disgusting vegetable I've ever tasted! I don't care for broccoli except in small amounts with other things, beets, any more than 10 Skittles (yes, I only eat the ones that don't have gelatin), a few other things.

#60 Old 02-09-2013, 09:13 PM
Banned

Thought of some more. Chocolate covered cherries, the kind with that syrup crap in them. Just thinking about them makes me gag. My manager used to give me a box each year and I gave them to my ex-husband's mom (husband/BF at the time) because she loves them. Oh and picked corn kernels. GROSS.

Jennifer C likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page