Paleo diet. - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

#31 Old 07-10-2013, 04:41 AM

oops, double post!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 07-10-2013, 12:14 PM

I think any way you look at it though any diet can be unhealthy, whether its Veg or Paleo... or what ever else.

#33 Old 07-10-2013, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothiesara View Post

The big names in paleo/primal eating (Sisson, Wolf etc) do advocate only eating local, grass fed organic meat, produce and dairy (if you eat dairy),and to avoid buying conventional store bought. That was another issue I had with eating primal-while I do actually get most of my beef and eggs from a local source, it's not feasible for me to get pork or chicken, because of the cost. And I'm not going to buy part of a cow share to get around our state's laws on raw milk because that just creeps me out lol. I can buy local, grass fed cheese but again-it's $5 for 1/2lb. I can do that once in a while but not every week. And local, grass fed butter is very rare around me and if I can find it it's very cost prohibitive. Being truly primal/paleo is EXPENSIVE! That was one of the biggest negatives for me during my experiment-I was spending more on food for me, than I was for the rest of my family of a husband and three kids!

I try to buy organic when I can and yes it is much more expensive but it is worth it in the end. when we started buying more organic foods our grocery bill almost doubled. It is worth it though! but no this person does not buy organic and they seriously have to eat like 5 lbs of meat a day, Which is repulsive... I would have found that repulsive when I did eat meat.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 07-10-2013, 05:50 PM
Veggie Regular

I didn't know cheese and butter were fed grass.

cherries likes this.
#35 Old 07-10-2013, 06:27 PM
Veggie Regular

I recommend Forks Over Knives to watch smiley.gif
chiidorii likes this.
#36 Old 07-10-2013, 06:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy85 View Post

I can't find the link but I read an interesting story that their diets have been misrepresented for years due to the simple fact that bones from animals have survived but the waste from grains, veg & fruit obviously hasn't. It is believed that we ate a diet similar to that of chimps where about 2% of out calories came from meat & eggs.
I don't think "misrepresent" is the right word, but obviously evidence of meat eating due to the fossils is easier to come by than the consumption of particular plant foods.

Humans have never had a diet like chimps and our digestive systems have changed in ways that would make such a diet difficult. You have to go back way before humans (1~2 million years ago) to find ancestors that consumed a raw largely meatless diet and even then it was likely very different than chimp diets (e.g., much less fruit).
#37 Old 07-10-2013, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavender phase View Post

I recommend Forks Over Knives to watch smiley.gif

Yes it is a great Documentary! I loved it!

#38 Old 07-11-2013, 02:25 AM
#39 Old 07-11-2013, 02:57 AM

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/guest-blog/2012/07/23/human-ancestors-were-nearly-all-vegetarians/

And by vegetarian he means vegan because the different periods he is looking at milking of animals obviously hadn't been invented. I image the odds found egg from ground dwelling bird etc would have been eaten though.
#40 Old 07-11-2013, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny79 View Post

cheese and butter coming from cows that are free grazing/grass fed :) I can buy grass fed cheese from our local farmers market-the milk used (raw milk) is from grass fed in the summer cows, who are then fed winter grains/grass cultivated by the Amish. My eggs are the same way-the chickens run free and eat bugs and such, and then their diets are supplemented with grains that from the Amish. The butter is the same way, but is insanely expensive!

#41 Old 07-11-2013, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny79 View Post

Actually they aren't supposed to eat butter or cheese because they are really only supposed to eat whole foods... because I am sure cave men were making butter and cheese right?

#42 Old 07-11-2013, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiidorii View Post

Actually they aren't supposed to eat butter or cheese because they are really only supposed to eat whole foods... because I am sure cave men were making butter and cheese right?

Paleo eating (Cordain, Wolf etc), totally eliminates dairy products. Primal eating (Sisson), is more lenient and calls dairy a gray area. Sisson and his followers follow an 80/20 rule, where 80% of the foods they eats are primal (meat, veggies, nuts, fruit and eggs) and then the other 20% would be things like dark chocolate, dairy/butter, a tsp of sugar in your morning coffee etc. But, if you do eat dairy, then you're supposed to make sure it's organic/grass fed etc.

#43 Old 07-11-2013, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhn View Post

This may be the wrong place to post this but I'm curious what others think of the Paleo diet? it is becoming very popular. According to the FAQ's on the website they believe vegan and vegetarian diets are not healthy. They claim all grains are bad for you.

They are partially correct.  Wheat gluten isn't good for you.  While other grains have gluten, wheat gluten has addictive properties, raises your blood sugar higher then actual table sugar and packs on the pounds.  Here are some gluten free grains that are good for you:

Amaranth

Buckwheat

Corn (GMO free of course)

Millet

Oats (as long as they aren't processed or grown around gluten containing grains)

Quinoa (a good one!)

Rice

Sorghum

Teff

Wild Rice

Some of the above also spike your blood sugar but don't have the other negative side effects of today's wheat.

#44 Old 07-11-2013, 12:53 PM
Lifelong vegetarian

It is Atkins in new style.

My usual answer: I have never heard a convincing reason to eat meat.
#45 Old 07-11-2013, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by @rno View Post

It is Atkins in new style.

Yeah.  Pretty much.  It's short for Paleolithic diet.  Meaning that we should eat what cavemen ate.  That lost me right there.  The average life expectancy of the Paleolithic man was 43 years when you back out infant mortality rates.  Sure, a lot of that is due to environmental issues but it's silly to think that the caveman had it all together when it came to their diet.

What I like about being a vegan is that its not a diet, it's a lifestyle.  I don't have to guess.  As long as it didn't come from an animal, I'm good.  Sure, that could include refined and processed foods that are obviously not good for you, but let's use some common sense.

Let's change veganism to sound better, like "the gatherer diet".  We can write a cook book and make millions! 

#46 Old 07-11-2013, 02:03 PM

Sugar in your coffee!? Was early primal man sat around brewing pots of coffee!?

The whole premise of it is just laughable. Why can't it just be called a meat and whole food diet?
#47 Old 07-11-2013, 03:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hubrich View Post

While other grains have gluten, wheat gluten has addictive properties, raises your blood sugar higher then actual table sugar and packs on the pounds. 

It may have addictive properties, or it may just be the food it's in that smells so good.

It's not clear to me that gluten, a protein, can raise blood sugar faster than table sugar.

Nor that gluten in and of itself "packs on the pounds."

Do you have something to support these claims?

Having said that, this paleo diet is just absurd.

I believe everything.
#48 Old 07-11-2013, 04:26 PM
Veggie Regular

I would like to see scientific support of the claims that wheat gluten is so awful too (other than for people that have a true allergy to it).  I have had several screenings over the years and my blood sugar has always been very stable and I have never been over weight (not even remotely close) a day in my 41 years.  I eat a lot of grains, though mostly whole grains (bulgur wheat for example) and limit flour and pasta and so on but I will have those for an occasional treat.  Years ago I when I was an omnivore I was put on an anti-candida diet by a naturopathic doctor due to chronic yeast infections (I had lost my ovaries the year before and my hormones were a mess with surgical menopause...it really had nothing to do with yeast "overgrowth").  All I could eat was fresh whole vegetables and fresh meats (not salted or cured meat).  Very little of anything else.  I never felt worse in my life than when I was on that diet.  I did it very strictly for six months, and in fact it is what sparked a seven year battle with anorexia nervosa I never saw coming.  I have always felt so much better and have way more energy consuming grains, legumes/beans, nuts/seeds, fruits and vegetables and eliminating meat and dairy.  Whole grains provide a very stable blood sugar level and keep me feeling full and satisfied for hours without feeling stuffed or sluggish.  I just keep them as whole as possible (the whole seed such as oat groats as opposed to ground up or in a flour). 

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#49 Old 07-11-2013, 06:20 PM
Siv
Veggie Regular

The whole premise that we have any clue as to what paleolithic man ate is just ludicrous. I can barely remember what I ate yesterday, how can people assume that their assessments of cave man diets are anything but gross assumptions? Even the "meat on caveman teeth" study only proves that there was animal meat residue on the teeth of a sample - not that they ate it regularly or even at all (it could have been accidental).

Anyway, nutrition is only part of the picture. Lifestyle, exercise, stress, community etc all contribute to your health - not just diet alone.

#50 Old 07-12-2013, 06:00 AM

I spent almost a year eating paleo (ha thanks a lot crossfit!) and honestly it was the healthiest I have ever eaten. Now I can apply what I learned about whole foods and simplicity to my diet and it will be even better than paleo but I did learn a lot. We were not encouraged to eat tons of meat and when I did it was grassfed or nothing. Everyone at my box bought everything from a local farm that the owners knew. I am not saying that makes it ok, it just wasn't a gluttonous meatfest. I tried things (veggies mostly) that I wouldn't have tried. It broke me out of a lot of my bad eating habits. I also discovered how sensitive I was to gluten! I can eat it but there are def consequences. Yuck.

Now I can apply the parts I like (whole, organic foods, not being afraid of fats, new veggie recipes) to my current diet and I have found the best thing for me.

#51 Old 07-12-2013, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siv View Post

The whole premise that we have any clue as to what paleolithic man ate is just ludicrous. I can barely remember what I ate yesterday, how can people assume that their assessments of cave man diets are anything but gross assumptions? Even the "meat on caveman teeth" study only proves that there was animal meat residue on the teeth of a sample - not that they ate it regularly or even at all (it could have been accidental).

Anyway, nutrition is only part of the picture. Lifestyle, exercise, stress, community etc all contribute to your health - not just diet alone.

When I was researching paleo I noticed they encouraged lifestyle changes, such as increasing exercise (walking seemed to be the thing), going to bed early and waking with the sun, making healthier friend choices (hang out with folks who are like minded).

I started going to bed as early as I could get away with and turning my TV and phone off and it was amazing. I realize that should be common sense but it wasn't for me lol!

#52 Old 07-12-2013, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy85 View Post

Sugar in your coffee!? Was early primal man sat around brewing pots of coffee!?

The whole premise of it is just laughable. Why can't it just be called a meat and whole food diet?

yeah, the coffee thing would definitely fall into the 20% part lol.I agree, the whole thing should be re-named.

#53 Old 07-12-2013, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothiesara View Post

yeah, the coffee thing would definitely fall into the 20% part lol.I agree, the whole thing should be re-named.

ha. 80% paleo 100% of the time!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page