Guess what is in "natural flavoring" (for strawberry, vanilla and raspberry) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-19-2013, 01:21 PM

Castoreum, which is from beaver glands. This is a food additive approved by the US FDA and is considered safe (not save for beavers, though). It is used as a food additive used in "natural flavoring" for strawberry, vanilla and raspberry.

And I though natural flavorings came from the actual food. How silly of me.

Here is the abstract from the International Journal of Toxicology:

Quote:
Castoreum extract (CAS NO. 8023–83–4; FEMA NO. 2261) is a natural product prepared by direct hot-alcohol extraction of castoreum, the dried and macerated castor sac scent glands (and their secretions) from the male or female beaver. It has been used extensively in perfumery and has been added to food as a flavor ingredient for at least 80 years. Both the Flavor and Extract Manufacturers Association (FEMA) and the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regard castoreum extract as generally recognized as safe (GRAS). Acute toxicity studies in animals indicate that castoreum extract is nontoxic by both oral and dermal routes of administration and is not irritating or phototoxic to skin. Skin sensitization has not been observed in human subject tests. Castoreum extract possesses weak antibacterial activity. A long historical use of castoreum extract as a flavoring and fragrance ingredient has resulted in no reports of human adverse reactions. On the basis of this information, low-level, long-term exposure to castoreum extract does not pose a health risk. The objective of this review is to evaluate the safety-in-use of castoreum extract as a food ingredient.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-19-2013, 04:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Creamy substance with strong odor, originally from muskrat and beaver genitals but now typically synthetic. Used as a fixative in perfume and incense. While some cosmetics companies continue to use animal castor, the majority do not. (source PETA animal ingredient list)

I would not trust it in cosmetic, but in food, synthetic makes sense, though I still don't approve, I want my dried banana to taste like dried banana not boosted banana flavour.

"To the world you may be just one person, but to one life you may be the world."

#3 Old 01-20-2013, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marjoram View Post

Creamy substance with strong odor, originally from muskrat and beaver genitals but now typically synthetic. Used as a fixative in perfume and incense. While some cosmetics companies continue to use animal castor, the majority do not. (source PETA animal ingredient list)

I would not trust it in cosmetic, but in food, synthetic makes sense, though I still don't approve, I want my dried banana to taste like dried banana not boosted banana flavour.

I'm not referring to artificial flavoring. You mention "synthetic", so that is "artificial flavoring".

My post is about natural flavoring.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-20-2013, 11:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Oh sorry for not understanding correctly! Do you think natural flavouring could be also labeled as flavour? I'm still waiting for an answer from Jordans for their Supreme Muesli because the banana as flavour in them. Been a couple of days already and still no answer.

"To the world you may be just one person, but to one life you may be the world."

#5 Old 01-21-2013, 02:36 AM
Beginner

Whoa! shocked.gif I had no idea. Thanks for sharing this...

"No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted."

---Aesop
#6 Old 01-23-2013, 10:56 AM

I also had no idea that flavor obtained from animal parts can be called totally natural... I refer to plant extracts as natural.

Thank you for the info.

#7 Old 01-23-2013, 11:06 AM
Zelda Freak

Welcome Mott and Coypab! 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coypab Ceh View Post

I also had no idea that flavor obtained from animal parts can be called totally natural... I refer to plant extracts as natural.

Thank you for the info.

Anything can be called "natural" because natural is not a label, it's just a marketing term with zero meaning. If you're looking for flavors that actually could be called natural, in terms of what people think of when they say natural, going organic is a good bet. 

I agree that Castoreum is gross, but there's a ton of other junk in the USA food system as well. It's still a lot better than some places, but worse than others. I wrote about this for a client a while back -  6 Incredibly Gross Additives in Everyday Foods.

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 +

* Find me:
+
+
#8 Old 01-23-2013, 12:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Ewwww! people still kill beavers? that is so archaic.

Unfortunatly, in the U.S. manufacturers do not have to list all the ingredients in their products if they classify them as a "flavor" or "scent" or "color" so if you see the term natural flavors or scents and even natural colors on the label it could be anything.

On a side note; I even saw the words propylene glycol on a cake mix box ingredient list once, That is what ant-freeze is made of that is so poisonous but apparently it can also be used in foods in small amounts as a sweetener or preservative.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page