Stupid Things Omnivores Say, Version 6.0 - Page 95 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 1957Likes

#2821 Old 05-23-2015, 10:21 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuberail View Post
There is a guy on you tube with a channel called "Vegan Gains." He has a series called "Worst of the fitness industry."

He did one on Blogilates Cassey. She has really slick production values but her content is really sickening. She did one video where she made this "guilt free" dish that contained chicken and eggs but was gluten free and "low carb."

He really slammed her for saying that flour is "bad" and "guilt inducing" while the murder and torture of chickens is "good."

He uses profanity and juvenile language but you really understand exactly where he is coming from.

Their mindset is so sickening. They have it 100% backwards and twisted. Everything is upside down and inside out in their world.

Here is the vid in case you wanted to see:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyxx86TDvko
Am I the only freak of nature who finds these high protien diets to be unfufilling? I see them recommended over and over (I am on myfitnesspal, and see this in their forums a lot) and even in my weight loss/maintainance support group (I have been maintaining a large loss for about a year now!) the high protien/high animal food diets are very popular.

I now see the extreme keto- diets are king lately. I met a lady living on liverwurst and cottage cheese, as a weight loss strategy. (no fruit or veg)

When I tell people I eat a large number of carbs each day, they tell me its because I have a fast metabolism that i can "get away" with it. (I do not have a fast metabolism, BTW)

The carb phobia thing drives me crazy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2822 Old 05-23-2015, 10:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Cassie's diet in particular, Id be starving. No joke. 1400 calories, scant portions.

Today I am taking in about 1800 calories (see I told you my metabolism is not fast) but because my carbs are high and my fat is low, I am able to have 3 large bowls of food, with rice, fruit, veggies, etc, a good size snack, and a dessert. much more filling.
#2823 Old 05-23-2015, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melimomTARDIS View Post
I like the veggie meats for a change of pace, especially veggie sausages and veggie burgers. However, I dont expect them to taste "just like meat", its better to appreciate them as there own thing.

I like the terms "plant meat" and "plant milk", versus faux/fake.

My daughter and I grabbed a bag of the Yves Veggie Nuggets (the fake chicken ones, not the broccoli bites) and after the first bite had to go check the package because we both were sure we had accidentally bought actual chicken nuggets. They were amazing! And I was happy to discover they have more protein and fiber and less fat than an equivalent amount of McDonald's chicken nuggets. And slightly less expensive too. My only disappointment is the addition of egg white powder which is a shame as we transition over to fully vegan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2824 Old 05-23-2015, 11:11 AM

If I have to have one more effing conversation about protein I am going to scream!

Nobody... and I mean NOBODY in my entire 20 years of parenting has ever questioned my children's nutritional intake. Even when my daughter spent literally 6 months eating nothing but plain rice krispies, Butterball turkey franks and blueberries nobody said a thing. When I went to the kids' pediatrician and told her I was worried about my autistic son's health because he has limited himself to less than 10 foods and none of them were vegetables she told me to stop worrying so much.

Now that my kids' diet consists of legumes, grains, nuts, seeds, fruits, vegetables and cruelty-free meat and dairy substitutes? OMG! They're going to drop dead from rickets and B12 deficiency and lack of protein.

We have traded mini-wheat with milk for green smoothies with Vega protein powder, almond milk, spinach, frozen fruit and chia seeds.

Instead of Campbell's Chicken Noodle Soup and a cheese string for lunch they are having Campbell's Vegetarian Vegetable soup with a plate of raw veggies and fruit with almond butter.

No more stops after school for a quick burger or chicken nuggets from Mcdonald's. Now we grab some fruit or a couple of Lara Bars before we take the dog for a hike at the lake.

No more chicken Adobo for dinner. Now it's bread, salad, soups, stir fries, veggie burgers, tofu dishes.

Dessert is still the same. A few times a week I will make a pie or brownies or ice cream, the only difference is my choice of ingredients.

Even my Mother who knows I am a great Mom who obsessively researches everything before I make any decisions and is super supportive has had that stupid protein conversation with me.
#2825 Old 05-23-2015, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Am I the only freak of nature who finds these high protien diets to be unfufilling? I see them recommended over and over (I am on myfitnesspal, and see this in their forums a lot) and even in my weight loss/maintainance support group (I have been maintaining a large loss for about a year now!) the high protien/high animal food diets are very popular.

I now see the extreme keto- diets are king lately. I met a lady living on liverwurst and cottage cheese, as a weight loss strategy. (no fruit or veg)

When I tell people I eat a large number of carbs each day, they tell me its because I have a fast metabolism that i can "get away" with it. (I do not have a fast metabolism, BTW)

The carb phobia thing drives me crazy.
I went completely Paleo for a year in an attempt to fix some serious health issues I have been having for the last 2 years. During that time I quadrupled the amount of medication I was on, my health deteriorated to the point that I was no longer able to enjoy many of my favourite activities and I gained 20 pounds.

One month vegetarian (and a few days vegan - just took the jump a few days ago) and I have already reduced my medication by 20% and I am just about to go take the dog for her 4th hike of the week. No weight loss yet but that's because I have been on a mission to replicate all my favourite desserts vegan.
#2826 Old 05-23-2015, 02:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Cassie's diet in particular, Id be starving. No joke. 1400 calories, scant portions.

Today I am taking in about 1800 calories (see I told you my metabolism is not fast) but because my carbs are high and my fat is low, I am able to have 3 large bowls of food, with rice, fruit, veggies, etc, a good size snack, and a dessert. much more filling.
I agree. I am accustomed to consuming truly massive quantities of food. 12-cup salads, 8-cup fruit salads, 1/2 of a huge watermelon, basically all the fruit and popcorn I care to consume.

I'd be miserable on a calorie-dense low fiber diet. I would eat those foods, and still want to eat my regular foods. I would be like, "Where's the food?"

I have a friend twice my size. She once told me she could never eat as much as I do. Volume-wise, it's true. But somehow she ends up with twice the calories and a tiny fraction of the volume.

They think the animal protein and animal fat are essential and the carbohydrate is optional. I think they have it backwards.
#2827 Old 05-23-2015, 03:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Cool

[quote=lightergait;3654193]At my sister's wedding this weekend, for dinner they laid a whole massive roasted pig out on the table. You'd think carnists wouldn't care but there was uproar. People calling it disgusting and inappropriate of the venue to do it, and some people even said "I don't want to know I'm eating an animal!" It was almost painful having to hold my tongue at their cognitive dissonance - though they tucked in to the pig after the waiters took his body away. There was quite a fuss with my vegan meal and I was the centre of attention when everyone had a further uproar at my new vegan advocate tattoo because my family are judgemental arseholes. They even attempted to sneak egg white into my sorbet and told the chef "Don't worry about her - ignorance is bliss." Quite a few people even had the audacity to come up to me and ask if I enjoyed the dead pig lying on the table and if I was about to get my activist banners out shouting "LOVE PEACE ANIMALS". Later into the night we were all dancing and my auntie said "You've made your life so hard by going vegan, you know." I replied "No, I love my life and veganism." She said "No, I meant that no one else gives a **** that you're trying to do good. I went vegetarian for a while. No one wants to cater for you or keep food separate. At the end of the day, everyone judges you and makes your life difficult so it's better to just drop it because no one cares that you're vegan!" I replied "The animals do." and walked away. I had had enough. I went home shortly after that.

How on earth do people find pleasure in celebrating love with death on their plates? It will always be beside me how the human race is so evolved yet so trapped by psychological laws such as the urge to conform and maintain tradition, as well as letting behavioural conditioning guide their lives, never thinking to question it and finding contentment in their indifference to the biggest contributor to global destruction.

I know we are forever moving closer to a vegan world and I appreciate that, but dear God please let my family see the light before I become too weak to even visit them.[/quote ] @lightergait , I highlighted some of this and think the reasoning behind your family attacking you like this was the fact you ARE a vegan, and know that a whole roasted zucchini or eggplant or pumpkin would NOT have been the big (upsetting) deal the pig was, and they saw that you were eating a vegan meal (and wearing a new vegan tattoo) --They knew your meal didn't suffer the way theirs did. That's why they were so bent out of shape. I still wish you good luck with your family.
lightergait likes this.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#2828 Old 05-23-2015, 05:19 PM
Veggie Regular

How on earth do people find pleasure in celebrating love with death on their plates? It will always be beside me how the human race is so evolved yet so trapped by psychological laws such as the urge to conform and maintain tradition, as well as letting behavioural conditioning guide their lives, never thinking to question it and finding contentment in their indifference to the biggest contributor to global destruction

We aren't all that evolved obviously. This is an endless source of frustration, disappointment and pain.

Well--maybe a handful of us are more highly evolved.

Hampton Creek is trying an entirely different approach. I hope it works.

1 minute, 25 seconds, worth a watch:

Purp and lightergait like this.
#2829 Old 05-23-2015, 06:00 PM
cinnamon bun

I tried to talk about eggs to a coworker and how they grind up the males in a garbage disposal type thing and she seemed very shocked. Then she went on to say that scientists found out plants "know what's going on" when you eat them/cut them...
Purp likes this.
#2830 Old 05-23-2015, 06:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
I agree. I am accustomed to consuming truly massive quantities of food. 12-cup salads, 8-cup fruit salads, 1/2 of a huge watermelon, basically all the fruit and popcorn I care to consume.

I'd be miserable on a calorie-dense low fiber diet. I would eat those foods, and still want to eat my regular foods. I would be like, "Where's the food?"

I have a friend twice my size. She once told me she could never eat as much as I do. Volume-wise, it's true. But somehow she ends up with twice the calories and a tiny fraction of the volume.

They think the animal protein and animal fat are essential and the carbohydrate is optional. I think they have it backwards.
My BFF is 300lbs or so, and I hover around 120lbs, (sometimes less, sometimes more) and she swears up down and sideways I eat more food.

True, I eat more food, but she eats way more protein than me, way more fat than me, way more oil than me. But my salads are impressive.
Purp, Jasminedesi16 and veggie man like this.
#2831 Old 05-25-2015, 07:35 AM
Veggie Regular

I was at a family member's wedding this weekend. One of my cousins lives out in the country and has chickens and recently adopted a pig and two mini goats. The stupid part or the conversation started when I learned what the pig's name was: "Bacon"--a suggestion from his sister, a former vegan. I asked "but why?" and was told "because it's funny". I think my facial expression still showed horror because they laughed out loud and said "ok, maybe not funny to you".

Then the same cousin who adopted the pig started talking exclusively to me and my husband, as though my reaction to the name opened up the floor to address our veganism. He talked about his chickens and how they are so well taken care of and the live outside and forage, etc. But we live in Canada, our winters are too harsh to keep chickens outside, so I asked him what happened to them in the winter and got a "you don't want to know". I simply said "OK" and was ready to drop the topic there, but he went on about how he feels people should know where their meat comes from, how he takes responsibilty for his food and does his own killing, etc. I said "a part of me commends you for not shying away from making that connection unlike most people, but do you eat exclusively the meat from the animals you kill yourself, or do you still purchase some from the supermarket?". Guess what: he still buys some from the grocery store too. Can you say double standard??

But it gets worse. He leans over and whispers in my ear about how he plans on buying rabbits...purely because they reproduce fast so he would be able to have more "home" meat and less bought at the store.

Clearly, as vegans, my husband and I are of course the ones most excited to hear about animals being killed!! Ugh, I don't understand why people tell US these things. Go tell someone who won't be horrified, just keep your d**m sociopathic tendencies away from me! You will *not* earn my respect or approval by telling me you kill your own animals yet still continue to buy factory farm products. That makes you twice as bad as the rest!

MAN does it feel good to vent! This particular cousin of mine has always been the one to push and challenge me the hardest about my veganism and has brought me to tears on more than one occasion. I am so DONE with people!! It's occasions like these that make me want to scream at them and say for as long as they can't freakin' behave like freakin' normal people around me, I will stop going to all family get-togethers, screw them!
no whey jose likes this.
#2832 Old 05-25-2015, 08:47 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by azerea_02 View Post
Go tell someone who won't be horrified, just keep your d**m sociopathic tendencies away from me!
I know he's your cousin & perhaps you would also have as much a difficult time trying to hate him as you do to like him, but in my book killing with ones own hand a creature is just as evil as buying meat through industries. In the end the pain delivered is the same.

I'm usually polite around here because ultimately we all have come to terms that we're the minority and we've to learn to live with the majority, but hearing such vivid details about your cousin makes me think that he is the seed of pure evil. There is nothing to boast about killing animals for food, even stone age man didn't do it. People hunted out of desperation, when their stomachs were so empty that they had no alternative. Rabbit? Really? I'm exercising the heaviest restraint possible to prevent me from typing in an extremely vile, filthy language at this moment.

Repugnant.

The earth has enough resources for everyones need but not their greed.

#2833 Old 05-25-2015, 09:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Seed of pure evil? That's a /nice/ description, Varun. More than nice, actually.

My mom got stroganoff last night and got peeved off when I wouldn't eat it because it contained beef fat.
Purp, varun, no whey jose and 2 others like this.
#2834 Old 05-25-2015, 12:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by azerea_02 View Post
I was at a family member's wedding this weekend. One of my cousins lives out in the country and has chickens and recently adopted a pig and two mini goats. The stupid part or the conversation started when I learned what the pig's name was: "Bacon"--a suggestion from his sister, a former vegan. I asked "but why?" and was told "because it's funny". I think my facial expression still showed horror because they laughed out loud and said "ok, maybe not funny to you".

Then the same cousin who adopted the pig started talking exclusively to me and my husband, as though my reaction to the name opened up the floor to address our veganism. He talked about his chickens and how they are so well taken care of and the live outside and forage, etc. But we live in Canada, our winters are too harsh to keep chickens outside, so I asked him what happened to them in the winter and got a "you don't want to know". I simply said "OK" and was ready to drop the topic there, but he went on about how he feels people should know where their meat comes from, how he takes responsibilty for his food and does his own killing, etc. I said "a part of me commends you for not shying away from making that connection unlike most people, but do you eat exclusively the meat from the animals you kill yourself, or do you still purchase some from the supermarket?". Guess what: he still buys some from the grocery store too. Can you say double standard??

But it gets worse. He leans over and whispers in my ear about how he plans on buying rabbits...purely because they reproduce fast so he would be able to have more "home" meat and less bought at the store.

Clearly, as vegans, my husband and I are of course the ones most excited to hear about animals being killed!! Ugh, I don't understand why people tell US these things. Go tell someone who won't be horrified, just keep your d**m sociopathic tendencies away from me! You will *not* earn my respect or approval by telling me you kill your own animals yet still continue to buy factory farm products. That makes you twice as bad as the rest!

MAN does it feel good to vent! This particular cousin of mine has always been the one to push and challenge me the hardest about my veganism and has brought me to tears on more than one occasion. I am so DONE with people!! It's occasions like these that make me want to scream at them and say for as long as they can't freakin' behave like freakin' normal people around me, I will stop going to all family get-togethers, screw them!
Have you read La Dolce Vegan by Sarah Kramer? In the introduction (pp 18-19 not that's it's open to those pages on my lap right now or anything ). She talks about losing people to the dark side, she says, "While I may feel disappointed when my friends fall off the vegan wagon, what I really wonder is, where did their lack of enthusiasm come from? What was the moment when they decided that their principles didn't mean more than that Meat Lover's pizza they've been missing. Where does that "Burn out" come from? How does an enthusiastic, compassionate person become apathetic? Is it really about missing cheese? Or is there something missing in your life? What is it that's making you disconnect?" (Sarah Kramer--if you're reading this, please don't sue. Thank you). Ask this guy's sister why she is no longer vegan. That will shut everyone up at the table and at all future gatherings. I hope.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#2835 Old 05-25-2015, 05:49 PM
cinnamon bun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purp View Post
Have you read La Dolce Vegan by Sarah Kramer? In the introduction (pp 18-19 not that's it's open to those pages on my lap right now or anything ). She talks about losing people to the dark side, she says, "While I may feel disappointed when my friends fall off the vegan wagon, what I really wonder is, where did their lack of enthusiasm come from? What was the moment when they decided that their principles didn't mean more than that Meat Lover's pizza they've been missing. Where does that "Burn out" come from? How does an enthusiastic, compassionate person become apathetic? Is it really about missing cheese? Or is there something missing in your life? What is it that's making you disconnect?" (Sarah Kramer--if you're reading this, please don't sue. Thank you). Ask this guy's sister why she is no longer vegan. That will shut everyone up at the table and at all future gatherings. I hope.
you know, I think about this too. I know a lot of ppl are affected by other ppl's judgements/reactions/criticism. When I first became a vegetarian years ago, I actually ended up stopping because of how my family treated me and even random people from school. Of course, they shouldn't care what people think, but some people can't deal with the social pressures.
Purp, LedBoots and no whey jose like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#2836 Old 05-26-2015, 03:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Someone posted a positive review on the Mercy For Animals Facebook page. Then, some arsehole posted a picture of a cow with her throat sliced as a reply to that comment.
Of course, the profile picture of that guy is him sleeping with a dog.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

#2837 Old 05-27-2015, 04:00 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessandreia View Post
Someone posted a positive review on the Mercy For Animals Facebook page. Then, some arsehole posted a picture of a cow with her throat sliced as a reply to that comment.
I have so many Vegan Sidekick comics set aside for specifically this occasion!
Purp, varun, custardpie and 1 others like this.
#2838 Old 05-27-2015, 07:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by no whey jose View Post
I have so many Vegan Sidekick comics set aside for specifically this occasion!
Back when you were new I think the first post of yours I saw over here was a troll picture as a fitting reply to some lady's thread, had a good laugh over it.
Purp, no whey jose and custardpie like this.

#2839 Old 05-27-2015, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by varun View Post
Back when you were new I think the first post of yours I saw over here was a troll picture as a fitting reply to some lady's thread, had a good laugh over it.
I remember that thread vividly.
Purp and varun like this.
#2840 Old 05-27-2015, 07:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by no whey jose View Post
I remember that thread vividly.
Oh yeah no one can forget the brilliant question she asked, I was preparing a great line of sarcasm but after your post I kinda gave up, nothing could top that.
Purp and no whey jose like this.

#2841 Old 05-28-2015, 05:15 AM
Veggie Regular

What thread was this?
#2842 Old 05-28-2015, 07:47 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaliaBeth1224 View Post
What thread was this?
The racist one.
#2843 Old 05-28-2015, 01:35 PM
Super Moderator

Wha? Sounds like I missed some interesting stuff, this is why I should never leave VB.
Purp and no whey jose like this.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#2844 Old 05-28-2015, 01:38 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessandreia View Post
That's just... What... How do you even...

I don't know how some people can have such a huge mental disconnect. It reminds me of a guy I'm Facebook friends with who loves animals and always goes on and on about his dog, he's even the moderator of a really cute happy animal pictures group... Hates vegans, has gone on several anti-vegan rants and loves talking about meat. I just don't get it? He has also gotten really angry about trophy hunting in the past. As far as I can tell he has decided that cows and chickens and pigs are somehow not on the same level as every other species on the planet, it confuses me.
Purp, no whey jose and custardpie like this.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#2845 Old 05-28-2015, 06:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Can I have a link?
#2846 Old 05-29-2015, 10:15 AM
Veggie Regular

Someone told me today they can't be vegan because they had a stroke and their doctor told them that too much kale makes blood clots.
#2847 Old 05-29-2015, 11:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasminedesi16 View Post
Someone told me today they can't be vegan because they had a stroke and their doctor told them that too much kale makes blood clots.
What did (s)he say after you told him/her (s)he doesn't have to eat kale to be vegan?

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

#2848 Old 05-29-2015, 12:45 PM
Veggie Regular

When one of my friends miscarried, she thought it was because she ate kale.
#2849 Old 05-29-2015, 04:04 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
When one of my friends miscarried, she thought it was because she ate kale.
Women often blame something they did or didn't do on a miscarriage. So very sad.
#2850 Old 05-29-2015, 04:04 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaliaBeth1224 View Post
Can I have a link?
I think that thread was deleted.

Tags
Vegan-Lifestyle , Vegetarian-Lifestyle , vegan-food

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page