Stupid Things Omnivores Say, Version 6.0 - Page 94 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 1957Likes

#2791 Old 05-18-2015, 02:19 AM
adapt. evolve. become

Quote:
Originally Posted by @rno View Post
Since when is it a personal choiceto eat meat? Since advertisements are telling you that meat is (fill in whatever....).
I don't know, it's just something I hear a lot.
"I respect the fact that you don't eat meat, respect that I do!"
It usually turns out that they don't really respect that you don't eat animals and maybe even try to get you to eat meat again.
Purp likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2792 Old 05-18-2015, 02:53 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Huntress View Post
I don't know, it's just something I hear a lot.
"I respect the fact that you don't eat meat, respect that I do!"
It usually turns out that they don't really respect that you don't eat animals and maybe even try to get you to eat meat again.
That gets on my nerves, too. I don't have to respect anyone's choices, but I can tolerate them up to the point where they're causing harm to others. Then it's my moral obligation to speak up.
#2793 Old 05-18-2015, 08:14 AM
Beginner

At my sister's wedding this weekend, for dinner they laid a whole massive roasted pig out on the table. You'd think carnists wouldn't care but there was uproar. People calling it disgusting and inappropriate of the venue to do it, and some people even said "I don't want to know I'm eating an animal!" It was almost painful having to hold my tongue at their cognitive dissonance - though they tucked in to the pig after the waiters took his body away. There was quite a fuss with my vegan meal and I was the centre of attention when everyone had a further uproar at my new vegan advocate tattoo because my family are judgemental arseholes. They even attempted to sneak egg white into my sorbet and told the chef "Don't worry about her - ignorance is bliss." Quite a few people even had the audacity to come up to me and ask if I enjoyed the dead pig lying on the table and if I was about to get my activist banners out shouting "LOVE PEACE ANIMALS". Later into the night we were all dancing and my auntie said "You've made your life so hard by going vegan, you know." I replied "No, I love my life and veganism." She said "No, I meant that no one else gives a **** that you're trying to do good. I went vegetarian for a while. No one wants to cater for you or keep food separate. At the end of the day, everyone judges you and makes your life difficult so it's better to just drop it because no one cares that you're vegan!" I replied "The animals do." and walked away. I had had enough. I went home shortly after that.

How on earth do people find pleasure in celebrating love with death on their plates? It will always be beside me how the human race is so evolved yet so trapped by psychological laws such as the urge to conform and maintain tradition, as well as letting behavioural conditioning guide their lives, never thinking to question it and finding contentment in their indifference to the biggest contributor to global destruction.

I know we are forever moving closer to a vegan world and I appreciate that, but dear God please let my family see the light before I become too weak to even visit them.
Purp and Raskolnikova like this.

Check out my blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2794 Old 05-18-2015, 08:23 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasminedesi16 View Post
I understand they won't be vegan but recommending more animal protein and not veggies?
It's so stupid, right?! We were never designed to eat this much meat in the first place. People don't seem to understand that all the fast food meat is just loaded with fat, and that even lean chicken is STILL FATTY. People always associate carbs with things like donuts, fast food and potatoes because they just add a f*ck load of fat to it - oils, dairy-based sauces, etc. How do they not realise that it's NOT THE CARBS?! I would really like to know how someone looks at an obese person and goes "She ate too many boiled potatoes, cooked in plain water." NO. She ate FRIED CHIPS, that's what gets her fat. No one ever got fat off fresh fruit, vegetables and starches. It's literally common sense to see how someone gets obese - complete overload on calories or eating things that are nearly all fat. Were these doctors lean themselves? See, the only lean doctors I've ever seen are either whole foods vegan or they limit their animal products and fill their belly with glorious fruit and veg. The recommended intake of protein is only 10-35% of your calories anyway (and 60% for carbs, the rest fat), so I've never understood how the media and the subsequent society have ever gotten away with promoting high protein diets. Nutritionfacts.org (vegan doctor) states that any more of 15% calories coming from protein and the excess protein stores as fat or gets flushed out, anyway!

Urgh, hit a nerve there sorry! You can tell I'm passionate about this.
Purp and Jasminedesi16 like this.

Check out my blog:

#2795 Old 05-18-2015, 09:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightergait View Post
It's so stupid, right?! We were never designed to eat this much meat in the first place. People don't seem to understand that all the fast food meat is just loaded with fat, and that even lean chicken is STILL FATTY. People always associate carbs with things like donuts, fast food and potatoes because they just add a f*ck load of fat to it - oils, dairy-based sauces, etc. How do they not realise that it's NOT THE CARBS?! I would really like to know how someone looks at an obese person and goes "She ate too many boiled potatoes, cooked in plain water." NO. She ate FRIED CHIPS, that's what gets her fat. No one ever got fat off fresh fruit, vegetables and starches. It's literally common sense to see how someone gets obese - complete overload on calories or eating things that are nearly all fat. Were these doctors lean themselves? See, the only lean doctors I've ever seen are either whole foods vegan or they limit their animal products and fill their belly with glorious fruit and veg. The recommended intake of protein is only 10-35% of your calories anyway (and 60% for carbs, the rest fat), so I've never understood how the media and the subsequent society have ever gotten away with promoting high protein diets. Nutritionfacts.org (vegan doctor) states that any more of 15% calories coming from protein and the excess protein stores as fat or gets flushed out, anyway!

Urgh, hit a nerve there sorry! You can tell I'm passionate about this.

Exactly lightergait! That is why I was so mad watching this show. I wanted to rant so bad about it. I could not believe she thought that POTATOES and not all the animal protein and fat she was eating made her obese. I understand potatoes aren't the healthiest but I don't think there is anything wrong with having boiled potatoes. And Sweet Potatoes are extremely good for you. The show was on a marathon and not once did the doctor recommend fruits and vegetables. Always protein!I really don't think any of these people had problems with getting enough protein. Oh and on one episode after a woman's surgery, she is eating a plain salad and her husband goes, "If you want to eat greens you can live in a barn." Seriously?! I wouldn't say Dr. Nowzaradan was fat but I'm not sure how lean he is. I will never understand the whole high protein craze, so many fitness instructors do it and support it.
lightergait and Raskolnikova like this.
#2796 Old 05-18-2015, 10:02 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
At my sister's wedding this weekend, for dinner they laid a whole massive roasted pig out on the table. You'd think carnists wouldn't care but there was uproar. People calling it disgusting and inappropriate of the venue to do it, and some people even said "I don't want to know I'm eating an animal!" It was almost painful having to hold my tongue at their cognitive dissonance - though they tucked in to the pig after the waiters took his body away. There was quite a fuss with my vegan meal and I was the centre of attention when everyone had a further uproar at my new vegan advocate tattoo because my family are judgemental arseholes. They even attempted to sneak egg white into my sorbet and told the chef "Don't worry about her - ignorance is bliss." Quite a few people even had the audacity to come up to me and ask if I enjoyed the dead pig lying on the table and if I was about to get my activist banners out shouting "LOVE PEACE ANIMALS". Later into the night we were all dancing and my auntie said "You've made your life so hard by going vegan, you know." I replied "No, I love my life and veganism." She said "No, I meant that no one else gives a **** that you're trying to do good. I went vegetarian for a while. No one wants to cater for you or keep food separate. At the end of the day, everyone judges you and makes your life difficult so it's better to just drop it because no one cares that you're vegan!" I replied "The animals do." and walked away. I had had enough. I went home shortly after that.

How on earth do people find pleasure in celebrating love with death on their plates? It will always be beside me how the human race is so evolved yet so trapped by psychological laws such as the urge to conform and maintain tradition, as well as letting behavioural conditioning guide their lives, never thinking to question it and finding contentment in their indifference to the biggest contributor to global destruction.

I know we are forever moving closer to a vegan world and I appreciate that, but dear God please let my family see the light before I become too weak to even visit them.
Wow.

That's truly shockingly terrible behaviour. I don't even know what to say except that I'm sorry you had to go through it and I admire you for keeping your cool.
#2797 Old 05-19-2015, 01:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Cool

Quote:

You should've said something like, "If my vegan diet bothers you, then the dead pig should not have bothered you. If it did bother you, then maybe it's not MY diet that's the problem." Then walked away from it all.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#2798 Old 05-19-2015, 02:24 PM
Veggie Regular

yikes lightergait. what an awful day.
#2799 Old 05-22-2015, 06:29 AM
adapt. evolve. become

"The meaning of abstract is disassociated, so it would be the same as an abstract painting. It's an idea that doesn't seem to be connected or associated to anything, nonetheless, it is an idea.
An example of an abstract idea that turned out to be a good one - drinking milk.
Whoever came up with the idea that the white liquid in the cow's utters was to drink, had an abstract idea. Drinking and liquid from a cow are totally disassociated. You see, now that it has been tried, it is a concrete fact, but before anyone tried it, it was an abstract idea"

No, it wasn't. It was a terrible idea
no whey jose likes this.

All we are is dust in the wind

Last edited by Pirate Huntress; 05-22-2015 at 06:45 AM.
#2800 Old 05-22-2015, 10:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Did you just quote a page of a pyscology booked published by some idiot in the south? Sounds like something people would say where I live.
#2801 Old 05-22-2015, 10:52 AM
adapt. evolve. become

Yahoo answers. I was trying to find examples of abstract ideas.
#2802 Old 05-22-2015, 12:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Okay that explains it. Still probaly is verbatim for a page in a psyc. Book published 'round here.
#2803 Old 05-22-2015, 12:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasminedesi16 View Post
Exactly lightergait! That is why I was so mad watching this show. I wanted to rant so bad about it. I could not believe she thought that POTATOES and not all the animal protein and fat she was eating made her obese.
There is a guy on you tube with a channel called "Vegan Gains." He has a series called "Worst of the fitness industry."

He did one on Blogilates Cassey. She has really slick production values but her content is really sickening. She did one video where she made this "guilt free" dish that contained chicken and eggs but was gluten free and "low carb."

He really slammed her for saying that flour is "bad" and "guilt inducing" while the murder and torture of chickens is "good."

He uses profanity and juvenile language but you really understand exactly where he is coming from.

Their mindset is so sickening. They have it 100% backwards and twisted. Everything is upside down and inside out in their world.

Here is the vid in case you wanted to see:

LedBoots and Jasminedesi16 like this.
#2804 Old 05-22-2015, 01:25 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuberail View Post
There is a guy on you tube with a channel called "Vegan Gains." He has a series called "Worst of the fitness industry."

He did one on Blogilates Cassey. She has really slick production values but her content is really sickening. She did one video where she made this "guilt free" dish that contained chicken and eggs but was gluten free and "low carb."

He really slammed her for saying that flour is "bad" and "guilt inducing" while the murder and torture of chickens is "good."

He uses profanity and juvenile language but you really understand exactly where he is coming from.

Their mindset is so sickening. They have it 100% backwards and twisted. Everything is upside down and inside out in their world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyxx86TDvko
Maybe I'm just being a grumpy old lady, but I am so sick of ALL diet/health YouTube vloggers. All of them.
#2805 Old 05-22-2015, 01:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuberail View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyxx86TDvko
Wow! Thanks for sharing this with me. That video is true. I haven't seen Casey's videos but I started to look at them and it seems more to me that she just doesn't eat. I also watched his Jillian Micheal's one, and the part where she was like "I love animals, I eat grass fed beef and ethical seafood!" What is ethical seafood?! And I am shocked at the doctors video. The doctor was actually recommending bacon?! Isn't that one of the worst foods you can eat? Even my own doctor who isn't vegan would NOT recommend that his patients eat bacon. Good fats? You can get good fats from an avocado.

I agree No whey Jose, the only fitness person I watch on youtube is Yoga With Adrienne and sometimes Jessica Smith when I need a quick workout.
no whey jose likes this.
#2806 Old 05-22-2015, 02:39 PM
Veggie Regular

I like Dr. McDougall. He's been at this since the 80s. He had a massive stroke at age 18 and that set him on this path.

Recently I watched his very interesting interviews with Dr. Dennis Burkitt and Nathan Pritikin, who wasn't even a doctor (more of an electrical engineer who went to hundreds of medical conventions and read every paper in every journal) but revolutionized the idea of diet as protection.

Since I have read papers by both of them it was really cool to see the faces and personalities behind the profound ideas. They both struck me as sort of Asperger's-ish, which is often the case with profoundly brilliant and deep thinkers.

Pritikin had extensive CHD and healed himself. He simply found doctors who were willing to monitor his progress. Then he started an empire. But he was not able to rid himself of leukemia and lymphoma. He took his own life at 69 after an experimental treatment gone bad.

But if you mean being sick of amateurs making money, yeah, that kind of grates. But I still like vegan gains. He says what many of us are too polite to say but are secretly thinking.
#2807 Old 05-22-2015, 05:53 PM
Veggie Regular

From the Thai restaurant near my house.
"29. Vegetable Delight
Choice of pork or chicken stir fried with mixed fresh vegetable in oyster sauce."

no whey jose likes this.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#2808 Old 05-22-2015, 06:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purp View Post
From the Thai restaurant near my house.
"29. Vegetable Delight
Choice of pork or chicken stir fried with mixed fresh vegetable in oyster sauce."

this is exactly why i am afraid of asian restaurants. who knows what is in the sauces, what grill it was cooked on, how they define vegetarian, and so on.
#2809 Old 05-22-2015, 10:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Huntress View Post
Yahoo answers. I was trying to find examples of abstract ideas.
Yahoo! Answers. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

--Fromper
Purp, LedBoots, mecanna and 1 others like this.
#2810 Old 05-22-2015, 11:02 PM
Beginner

Quote:
...they tucked in to the pig after the waiters took his body away.

Quite a few people even had the audacity to come up to me and ask if I enjoyed the dead pig lying on the table...
I find this poignant and very sad.

Good for you for showing decency and respect for life.
#2811 Old 05-23-2015, 03:24 AM
adapt. evolve. become

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromper View Post
Yahoo! Answers. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

--Fromper
I know, same with most comment sections. Usually avoid them now, especially if the topic is veganism.
LedBoots likes this.

#2812 Old 05-23-2015, 04:20 AM

Me: Yeah, I'm vegetarian.
Friend: What? Why?
Me: Well I just don't believe it is right to farm and eat other animals.
Friend: (accusing) Other animals do it!
Me: They need to, to survive.
Friend: What about plants?They are alive!
Me: There isn't a single food not made from a plant originally, except water.
Friend: Bread?
Me: From wheat
Friend: Carrots?
Me: Are you serious?
Friend: What???
Me: They ARE a plant!
Friend: Oh.....how about lamb? That's meat, not a plant.
Me: Have you forgotten how this conversation began? Alive
Friend: Oh yeah. But I bet there are some. I've got to go.

You won't believe how many times I have had that conversation!
Purp, varun and Jasminedesi16 like this.

TammyS
#2813 Old 05-23-2015, 04:58 AM

Friend: "I've never eaten vegan food"
Me: "really? Never?"
Friend: "never"
Me: "you enjoying that banana?".......
Friend... "Oh"

Live, love and nurture
#2814 Old 05-23-2015, 05:06 AM
adapt. evolve. become

Sure most non vegans eat vegan food sometimes, but they most likely never had a real vegan meal that is filling, just simple things like fruit. Most vegans don't live on bananas, I certainly wouldn't want to. They are a good snack, but not something I'd live off
Most people think in order to be a vegan or even vegetarian, you have to eat nothing but salads and fruit. Luckily that isn't true. I used to think that and I was so happy when I found out there's plenty of yummy things to eat as a vegetarian and even vegan
Purp and no whey jose like this.

Last edited by Pirate Huntress; 05-23-2015 at 05:30 AM.
#2815 Old 05-23-2015, 05:52 AM
Veggie Regular

There are delicious veg*n foods.
#2816 Old 05-23-2015, 06:08 AM
adapt. evolve. become

Yep that's what I learned after deciding to go vegetarian

#2817 Old 05-23-2015, 06:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
You'd think carnists wouldn't care but there was uproar. People calling it disgusting and inappropriate of the venue to do it, and some people even said "I don't want to know I'm eating an animal!" It was almost painful having to hold my tongue at their cognitive dissonance.
Ah the usual human hypocrisy in full blown display. Logic & science just flies out of the window when such debates happen so don't even try. More than cognitive dissonance this is selective distortion, suspending logic to the convenience of one's views. All to just be proven right.

There is only one fact and one reality at the end of the day and I think vegans try to observe the ultimate reality, that earth is getting torn apart each day and someone has to stop/delay its destruction. If history shows that man hunted and killed for food, the same history shows plenty of civilizations relying on crops and milk for their diet as they didn't like killing. More important and I simply cannot stress on the following statement ENOUGH : eating is for mere survival, to ensure one doesn't die of starvation or malnutrition, food never was, never is and never will be a fashion statement. Stop decorating food, stop giving it fancy names and stop trying to make vegan alternatives shaped like pork/beef whatever. Its not the shape that interests us.
Purp and lightergait like this.

The earth has enough resources for everyones need but not their greed.

#2818 Old 05-23-2015, 08:49 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

I do think that the fake meats help people who are used to eating meat 3x a day more easily change to veganism.

And I decorate food and use garnishes because it ia fun and because the food seems to taste better with a pretty presentation
#2819 Old 05-23-2015, 09:47 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post
I do think that the fake meats help people who are used to eating meat 3x a day more easily change to veganism.

And I decorate food and use garnishes because it ia fun and because the food seems to taste better with a pretty presentation
I like the veggie meats for a change of pace, especially veggie sausages and veggie burgers. However, I dont expect them to taste "just like meat", its better to appreciate them as there own thing.

I like the terms "plant meat" and "plant milk", versus faux/fake.
#2820 Old 05-23-2015, 09:47 AM
adapt. evolve. become

I agree completely

Tags
Vegan-Lifestyle , Vegetarian-Lifestyle , vegan-food

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page