Stupid Things Omnivores Say, Version 6.0 - Page 92 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 1957Likes

#2731 Old 04-20-2015, 06:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purp View Post
How old is your sister. (Re) Read Charlotte's Web to her and ask who was inconvenienced in that story. The farmer, the little girl, the uncle, or the pig.
She turned 12 last month. I'm just waiting for her school to do dissection in a few years. I'm curious to see if she's as nonchalant about suffering when she's forced to face it head on.

And I have another. My class is taking a field trip to our teacher's sheep farm.
I'm not going.

Friend: Why won't you come? It's not meat! He just sheers the sheep!

*face-palm* It's the principle of me going to a farm that is unacceptable to me. Especially this particular person's farm. He's a jerk towards animals and teaches a bias toward the meat industry.
To the point that having me in his class makes him WANT an argument.
Jasminedesi16 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2732 Old 04-21-2015, 09:55 AM
Veggie Regular

Can someone please explain to me why people are so obsessed with protein and why they think it only comes from animals? I was at a going away party on Sunday and I guess it is diet season because that's what everyone is talking about. The one girl said how she was doing the insanity workout and kept saying "I need to build muscle so I need tons of protein. Protein makes you thin and gives you muscle." She is apparently doing the Atkins diet and she said how bad fruit is for you and that it gives you diabetes. And some other lady goes "Yes that is why vegetarians aren't healthy because your body needs protein." And then my mom completely embarrasses me and says, "Actually my daughter is a vegetarian, we just got blood work done and she's perfectly healthy." Then of course, "But where do you get your protein?!!!" And then the lady told me it is a phase and she doesn't know anyone who lived a long healthy life being a vegetarian and that's why there are no old vegetarians. It was really embarrassing but my mom and I just laughed about it in the car afterwards. :P
#2733 Old 04-22-2015, 02:37 AM
Lifelong vegetarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasminedesi16 View Post
And then the lady told me it is a phase and she doesn't know anyone who lived a long healthy life being a vegetarian and that's why there are no old vegetarians.
My sister is 82 years long vegetarian and lives with her husband on a little farm. No help needed.
Purp, LedBoots, elsie182 and 2 others like this.

My usual answer: I have never heard a convincing reason to eat meat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2734 Old 04-22-2015, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Can someone please explain to me why people are so obsessed with protein and why they think it only comes from animals? I was at a going away party on Sunday and I guess it is diet season because that's what everyone is talking about. The one girl said how she was doing the insanity workout and kept saying "I need to build muscle so I need tons of protein. Protein makes you thin and gives you muscle." She is apparently doing the Atkins diet and she said how bad fruit is for you and that it gives you diabetes. And some other lady goes "Yes that is why vegetarians aren't healthy because your body needs protein." And then my mom completely embarrasses me and says, "Actually my daughter is a vegetarian, we just got blood work done and she's perfectly healthy." Then of course, "But where do you get your protein?!!!" And then the lady told me it is a phase and she doesn't know anyone who lived a long healthy life being a vegetarian and that's why there are no old vegetarians. It was really embarrassing but my mom and I just laughed about it in the car afterwards. :P
Show her this http://www.nomeatathlete.com/vegetarian-protein/
Purp and Jasminedesi16 like this.

Haters zijn gewoon praters
#2735 Old 04-22-2015, 06:36 AM
Beginner

''But I need my meat''

Its not your meat and you don't need it.
#2736 Old 04-22-2015, 07:05 AM
Beginner

A couple days after I made the decision to give up meat, I had an interesting conversation with my mum. This is just a little excerpt:

Mum: So, can you have fish?
Me: No! I don't eat meat.
Mum: But fish isn't meat?
Me: Yes, it is!
Mum: (super sarcastically) Oh what, so poultry is meat as well?
Me: YES IT ABSOLUTELY IS.

Hahahah it was actually the funniest thing ever. It took a little while for her to understand that meat = flesh from a living animal... But she has been super supportive always buying me all the legumes, tofu and vegetables I could ever want, looking out for new vegan foods in the supermarkets and actually reading all the labels for me!
#2737 Old 04-22-2015, 08:02 AM
Veggie Regular

Yesterday, I saw a comment on Facebook saying "Why don't people just drink REAL milk instead of this almond crap?"

Bro, I'm 22. I don't think my mom is producing milk anymore.
Fromper, Purp, LedBoots and 8 others like this.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

#2738 Old 04-22-2015, 08:53 AM
Veggie Regular

That's great. I might steal that response for later.
Purp and no whey jose like this.
#2739 Old 04-22-2015, 10:00 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessandreia View Post
Yesterday, I saw a comment on Facebook saying "Why don't people just drink REAL milk instead of this almond crap?"

That is one of the most awesome responses I have ever read!
Purp, LedBoots and no whey jose like this.
#2740 Old 04-22-2015, 12:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidal Pierre View Post
''But I need my meat''

Its not your meat and you don't need it.
Quote:

Congratulations on winning the internet, both of you. I really need to use these answers.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#2741 Old 04-22-2015, 01:44 PM

My grandmother, in all seriousness, asked me if I would eat a banana.

I love her, but really?
#2742 Old 04-22-2015, 02:05 PM
Part-Time Russian

A quote from a comrade of mine a few days ago; "ASH WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!" "E-... eating a sandwich.." "ASH YOU'RE EATING BREAD!!! VEGANS CANT EAT BREAD!!!" "I.... w-....what?"

Also from my dad

"Ash, beer has gluten in it, vegans cant eat that stuff right?"

And from grandma

"I'm not offering you meat dear I'm offering you chicken."

And from another friend

"But humans should at least eat lean meat right?" "No" "But its not fattening." me: *looks at him*.... I didnt have the heart to say "and thats why you're 300 lb and I'm 198"

Born in Mississippi, lives in Mississippi, Loves Vegemite
Has no Accent
Vegan
Honors Student

For some reason everyone thinks I'm weird...

Languages: English both Brit and American.
русский
Deutsch
Español
#2743 Old 04-22-2015, 02:12 PM
Veggie Regular

I agree that lean meats in moderation are not fattening, but if he's 300 pounds he's surely eating more unhealthy meats and other unhealthy foods.
Purp likes this.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

#2744 Old 04-22-2015, 02:29 PM

Upon hearing of my new-found vegetarianism, my nan asked my mum whether I could eat chicken. Me and my mum thought this was silly and ridiculous but laughed it off, saying "oh, what is she like?"

However, a week later, my nan informed my mum that she'd thought of this recipe that I could make that's vegetarian. She lists the ingredients.. "X...Y... Z.. and bacon". Obviously my mum said "What, are you serious?! She obviously can't eat that" and my nan genuinely said "What, I assumed that would be fine? I don't know what's wrong with that".

My mum and I are quite concerned now that my nan doesn't know where bacon comes from. Just so you all know, she's not senile, just unbelievably ditzy.
#2745 Old 04-22-2015, 02:30 PM
Beginner

Quote:
And then the lady told me it is a phase and she doesn't know anyone who lived a long healthy life being a vegetarian and that's why there are no old vegetarians. It was really embarrassing but my mom and I just laughed about it in the car afterwards. :P
If you see the lady again, you can politely tell her you met a sixty-two year old man on the internet who hasn't had any meat for forty-four years and has the BP, cholesterol, and blood sugar of an eighteen year old. That's me!

And he told you about a lady who passed on happily and peacefully at ninety-three not having eaten meat for fifty-two years. That was my mom!
#2746 Old 04-22-2015, 03:04 PM
Beginner

''I can't eat that kind of stuff its not me'' - Quote from my Mum
No you won't eat that ''stuff'' because old habits die hard.
''Just eat your bloody meat!'' - Quote from Brother
No bloody meat for me thanks I rather it stuff that's not full of fear and fat
''So where are you going to get your nutrients from'' Quote from Friend
Erm from Vegetables what else?
no whey jose likes this.
#2747 Old 04-22-2015, 04:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Lol, I was asked recently if I ate bread. Yes. Cake even.
#2748 Old 04-23-2015, 11:13 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggie man View Post
If you see the lady again, you can politely tell her you met a sixty-two year old man on the internet who hasn't had any meat for forty-four years and has the BP, cholesterol, and blood sugar of an eighteen year old. That's me!

And he told you about a lady who passed on happily and peacefully at ninety-three not having eaten meat for fifty-two years. That was my mom!
Hello Veggieman! That is AWESOME. I love reading and hearing of people who have been veggie for that long! It is so inspiring. I will definitely tell her this when I see her again. And wow your mother is such an inspiration too! That is wonderful.
Purp, veggie man and no whey jose like this.
#2749 Old 04-23-2015, 11:53 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by custardpie View Post
A couple days after I made the decision to give up meat, I had an interesting conversation with my mum. This is just a little excerpt:

Mum: So, can you have fish?
Me: No! I don't eat meat.
Mum: But fish isn't meat?
Me: Yes, it is!
Mum: (super sarcastically) Oh what, so poultry is meat as well?
Me: YES IT ABSOLUTELY IS.

Hahahah it was actually the funniest thing ever. It took a little while for her to understand that meat = flesh from a living animal... But she has been super supportive always buying me all the legumes, tofu and vegetables I could ever want, looking out for new vegan foods in the supermarkets and actually reading all the labels for me!
Hilarious! I had a similar conversation with a friend once, quite frustrating then but funny in retrospect... Sounds like your mom is doing a good job though

Quote:

GOLD!

Quote:
Well, at least your brother isn't shunning away from where meat comes from...
Purp and custardpie like this.
#2750 Old 04-25-2015, 06:11 AM
Veggie Regular

That play on words flew over my head for a second. I get it now. He's not usin it as an adjective.*facepalm*
Purp likes this.
#2751 Old 04-28-2015, 04:54 PM
Beginner

Thank you for your kind words!

My mother was raised Seventh-Day Adventist so they had no meat growing up. She lapsed as an adult, but came back to it later and it stuck for the rest of her life, as it did for two of my aunts. I am more of a yoga vegetarian.

I never ever feel like I'm missing anything!
#2752 Old 04-28-2015, 09:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Cool

Quote:
What about fruit, grains and legumes?

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#2753 Old 05-04-2015, 12:07 PM
Beginner

Lately a lot of my friends have been comparing veganism to being religious, saying things such as "It's, like, I don't judge someone for being religious so they shouldn't judge me for being an atheist" or "Just like I won't let vegans make me feel bad for eating meat, I won't let someone try to convert me to Christianity." I hate this. They are no way the same thing. Religion is centred around something subjective, non-falsifiable and appeals to tradition. Veganism is centred around something objective, falsifiable and cannot be discounted. I get so frustrated when people act like choosing not to exploit animals is akin to believing in a God. Animals feel pain, so I don't exploit them. What the f will that ever have to do with religion? These people use the 'religion' reference to say that you can't prove compassion - of course you can, DON'T KILL OUR FRIENDS!
River, Purp, Jasminedesi16 and 3 others like this.

Check out my blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#2754 Old 05-04-2015, 12:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightergait View Post
Religion is centred around something subjective, non-falsifiable and appeals to tradition. Veganism is centred around something objective, falsifiable and cannot be discounted.
I can falsify religion in minutes, there are so many gaping holes in them if one really wants to look at the obvious. As most religions have been edited by humankind over 6000 years its hard to verify anything written there.

That apart lets look at the definition of religion : the belief & worship of a power beyond human understanding either in the form of idolized gods or gods with no form. This definition itself shows that veganism has nothing to do with "religion". Choosing to leave nature alone doesn't mean worship of nature or considering animals as forms of "god". There is not one text that fully explains God, so the meaning of that word itself is undecided. People in general equate "being good" or "doing good" as a religious deed, they find it hard to comprehend that people believe in good on their own volition. Thus you don't have to feel too irritated, people always are scared/curious of what they don't understand and try to find meaning from their own perspective which leads to foolish conclusions.
River, Purp and Jasminedesi16 like this.

The earth has enough resources for everyones need but not their greed.

#2755 Old 05-04-2015, 02:23 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Lately a lot of my friends have been comparing veganism to being religious, saying things such as "It's, like, I don't judge someone for being religious so they shouldn't judge me for being an atheist" or "Just like I won't let vegans make me feel bad for eating meat, I won't let someone try to convert me to Christianity." I hate this. They are no way the same thing. Religion is centred around something subjective, non-falsifiable and appeals to tradition. Veganism is centred around something objective, falsifiable and cannot be discounted. I get so frustrated when people act like choosing not to exploit animals is akin to believing in a God. Animals feel pain, so I don't exploit them. What the f will that ever have to do with religion? These people use the 'religion' reference to say that you can't prove compassion - of course you can, DON'T KILL OUR FRIENDS!
This bugs me, too. I think the implication is that vegans subscribe to a dogma. That's why we're often asked about outrageous hypothetical situations like desert islands, or whether swallowing our own saliva is vegan even though it's technically an animal product. In religion, if holy law commands you to abstain from animal products, it would be a sin to consume animal products in any situation-- and I imagine that's what many omnivores think of us. They don't understand that our choice to avoid meat, dairy, and eggs isn't arbitrary. We abstain for practical reasons. Logic and reason factor into every decision we make. Veganism is a rational, sane, sensible lifestyle choice rooted firmly in observable reality.
#2756 Old 05-04-2015, 04:19 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

I had to go to a co-workers baby shower today, and since most of our office is some degree of pescetarian -- vegan, I anticipated a decent lunch. Nope.

"Don't worry, the cookies are vegan." Thanks, but I don't think cookies are a very satisfying lunch, all said and done.

I ended up eating crackers -_-
Purp, veggie man and lightergait like this.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#2757 Old 05-04-2015, 04:21 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by varun View Post
I can falsify religion in minutes, there are so many gaping holes in them if one really wants to look at the obvious. As most religions have been edited by humankind over 6000 years its hard to verify anything written there.

That apart lets look at the definition of religion : the belief & worship of a power beyond human understanding either in the form of idolized gods or gods with no form. This definition itself shows that veganism has nothing to do with "religion". Choosing to leave nature alone doesn't mean worship of nature or considering animals as forms of "god". There is not one text that fully explains God, so the meaning of that word itself is undecided. People in general equate "being good" or "doing good" as a religious deed, they find it hard to comprehend that people believe in good on their own volition. Thus you don't have to feel too irritated, people always are scared/curious of what they don't understand and try to find meaning from their own perspective which leads to foolish conclusions.
SORRY I MEANT FALSIFIABLE!! Not non-falsifiable. And yes, I agree with everything you just said
Purp and varun like this.

Check out my blog:

#2758 Old 05-04-2015, 04:30 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by no whey jose View Post
This bugs me, too. I think the implication is that vegans subscribe to a dogma. That's why we're often asked about outrageous hypothetical situations like desert islands, or whether swallowing our own saliva is vegan even though it's technically an animal product. In religion, if holy law commands you to abstain from animal products, it would be a sin to consume animal products in any situation-- and I imagine that's what many omnivores think of us. They don't understand that our choice to avoid meat, dairy, and eggs isn't arbitrary. We abstain for practical reasons. Logic and reason factor into every decision we make. Veganism is a rational, sane, sensible lifestyle choice rooted firmly in observable reality.
Exactly! When people ask me "Why don't you eat <insert animal product here>?" I genuinely reply "Why would I?" because honestly, why would you? If you don't have to, why would you? For protein, I could go kill a neighbour's cat, or eat the spiders in the corner of my room, but I don't because I don't need to... There is nothing related to religion about that. People seem to leave the conversation shocked at themselves when I say "If I have animal products in my left hand and plant-based in my right, why would I eat that which causes more death than life? In what situation in your life would you pick an abundance of suffering over nourishing nature - why is this any different?" I can understand those who are simply ignorant, but it's the ones that know and choose to kill on that sadden me.
River, Purp, LedBoots and 3 others like this.

Check out my blog:

#2759 Old 05-04-2015, 07:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
People seem to leave the conversation shocked at themselves when I say "If I have animal products in my left hand and plant-based in my right, why would I eat that which causes more death than life?
The problem is they'll retort by saying stuff like "plants have life too" "face it you're killing a plant when you pluck it". Then more stuff like plants and trees give out oxygen, animals consume oxygen which one would you prefer? Almost every illogical statement on earth to cover their rear ends. Throw in a "man was supposed to be a meat eater as he was hunting for survival for as long as he lived" part as their ace in the hole.

What they conveniently leave out is that fact that hunting in those times was as dangerous to the man as it was to the animal, more people were killed during hunting than animals. Even if they succeeded they merely hunted for survival.. not to gain muscle or leather or several other by-products. Neither was there a production line where cows were fed steroids or chickens were tied up to a pole awaiting their death. Industrialization is the most evil creation of man, a concept where pain, morality and collateral damage is ignored all for $$$$$. If every meat eater today is asked to hunt for every meal 90% of them will go veggie overnight.
Purp, lightergait and no whey jose like this.

The earth has enough resources for everyones need but not their greed.

#2760 Old 05-04-2015, 10:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Just read a comment saying: "My brain needs the cholesterol". And yes, she was referring to the cholesterol found in animal foods. I laughed.

Tags
Vegan-Lifestyle , Vegetarian-Lifestyle , vegan-food

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page