Stupid Things Omnivores Say, Version 6.0 - Page 91 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 1957Likes

#2701 Old 03-20-2015, 08:52 AM
Veggie Regular

Stupid Things Omnivores Say, Version 6.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post
I have had this happen before several times over the years--a person who nags and argues and asks me why we have canine teeth, and 'but bacon'--goes vegan! I think they were feeling the guilt, and the cognitive dissonance was tearing them up, so they struck out at me. Then a month later, emailing me for vegan recipes. Lol.

This guy could be lying, but maybe not...

When two of my roommates went vegetarian, I gave them so much trouble about getting enough nutrients and forming complete proteins, more trouble than anyone else I think. A year later, even having lost contact with them, I went vegetarian. Shortly after that I went vegan. I always was conflicted with the idea of killing animals for food but had been raised to believe I had to eat them. These 2 vegetarians were crashing that belief system and I railed against what they were doing because if they could be vegetarian and that was fine, then I had been killing animals for no reason, and that would be utterly horrifying. They made me think more about my food choices until I was so ready to stop killing animals that all it took was one other person to show me a video of cow slaughter for me to go completely vegetarian at once. Sometimes the people who give you the most pushback are the most ready to change.

- still I would never have tried to shove cheese in a vegan's mouth against her will- that is thoroughly inappropriate.
Purp, LedBoots and no whey jose like this.

Last edited by natty6; 03-20-2015 at 08:54 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2702 Old 03-25-2015, 07:08 AM
Veggie Regular

While discussing the environmental aspects of a vegan diet, I was 'informed' that growing and transporting plants has a greater effect on the planet than raising livestock. Specifically, that plant agriculture is more energy/resource intensive than animal agriculture. If we quit growing soo many plants, we could raise and slaughter enough livestock to feed the world's hungry.
Umm... ??? What does you think those animals eat? Sunshine and farts?
#2703 Old 03-25-2015, 07:15 AM
Veggie Regular

Why not eat meat? Its already in the store! your not stopping anything from happening. Its already happened!- a friend of mine.
Purp, mecanna, elsie182 and 2 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2704 Old 03-25-2015, 01:20 PM
Super Moderator

The stories in this thread give me a headache.
Purp and Naturebound like this.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#2705 Old 03-25-2015, 01:28 PM
Veggie Regular

They make me laugh.
Purp, LedBoots and Jasminedesi16 like this.
#2706 Old 03-25-2015, 06:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post
The stories in this thread give me a headache.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaliaBeth1224 View Post
They make me laugh.
When I first joined, I had a lot of questions about veganism, and I'm sure they were laughable at people who'd been vegan a lot longer then I have...Someone posted in this thread and I seriously thought they were making things up to make me feel more comfortable about my idiocy regarding veganism. I didn't know they were telling the truth.
LedBoots likes this.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#2707 Old 03-25-2015, 06:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Before I went vegetarian I'd honestly thought some dumb crap but now that I've been one for however long it is, I can laugh at my idiocy and the crazy stories on here.
Purp and LedBoots like this.
#2708 Old 03-26-2015, 09:09 AM
Lifelong vegetarian

Quote:
They make me laugh.

Pain in my stomach from laughing.

My usual answer: I have never heard a convincing reason to eat meat.
#2709 Old 03-26-2015, 10:45 AM
Beginner

My friends and I were at a new café which happened to serve vegan food - one of them I didn't know and she asked if I was vegetarian when I got my meal, and I said I was vegan and she said ah I'm a vegetarian! She started asking me about veganism, and I asked her what turned her vegetarian. She said "When I found out animals are abused, tortured and mutilated for us, I..." and she was interrupted by my friends going "Excuse me? Can you not talk about that whilst we're trying to eat our food please?!" as they tucked into their cheese and ham sandwich.

OH I'M SORRY - Pardon me for making you realise you're eating a ****ing corpse and that it makes you feel guilty. Sorry, sorry, sorry, I'll just wipe the torture under the carpet so you don't have to feel bad for tucking into it.

Can my friends hear themselves? Seriously? "Don't show me the truth so I don't feel bad" I love them but they're ****ing idiots

Check out my blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#2710 Old 03-26-2015, 01:20 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't know how to side on that conversation. On the one ham you're somewhat right but it isn't really dinner conversation

Edit: ham= hand
River and Purp like this.

Last edited by TaliaBeth1224; 03-26-2015 at 02:04 PM.
#2711 Old 03-26-2015, 01:49 PM
Super Moderator

"On the one ham."
#2712 Old 03-26-2015, 02:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Autocorrect, what did I ever do to you? Eh. Deal with it and say google is conspiring against me!
Purp likes this.
#2713 Old 03-26-2015, 02:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightergait View Post
My friends and I were at a new café which happened to serve vegan food - one of them I didn't know and she asked if I was vegetarian when I got my meal, and I said I was vegan and she said ah I'm a vegetarian! She started asking me about veganism, and I asked her what turned her vegetarian. She said "When I found out animals are abused, tortured and mutilated for us, I..." and she was interrupted by my friends going "Excuse me? Can you not talk about that whilst we're trying to eat our food please?!" as they tucked into their cheese and ham sandwich.

OH I'M SORRY - Pardon me for making you realise you're eating a ****ing corpse and that it makes you feel guilty. Sorry, sorry, sorry, I'll just wipe the torture under the carpet so you don't have to feel bad for tucking into it.

Can my friends hear themselves? Seriously? "Don't show me the truth so I don't feel bad" I love them but they're ****ing idiots
I have literally heard people say that they don't want to watch vegan/vegetarian documentaries because they knew it would make them change, and they don't want to change.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

#2714 Old 03-26-2015, 02:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah. That's annoying.
Purp likes this.
#2715 Old 03-26-2015, 08:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightergait View Post

To give credit, it really isn't meal time conversation, vegan or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessandreia View Post
I have literally heard people say that they don't want to watch vegan/vegetarian documentaries because they knew it would make them change, and they don't want to change.
So that's why my parents didn't want Jonathon Foer's "Eating Animals" on CD in the car...Too much about what happens...
elsie182 likes this.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#2716 Old 03-27-2015, 12:14 AM

Omnivore simply do not understand what is like to be a vegan)
#2717 Old 03-29-2015, 02:47 AM
Veggie Regular

Torture certainly isn't the best topic for dinner conversations. On the other hand, the topic only really comes up around meals...
#2718 Old 03-30-2015, 10:22 AM
Veggie Regular

True.

"You're being an inconvenience to the rest of us!"
-my little sister.
Purp likes this.
#2719 Old 03-30-2015, 07:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Cool

Quote:
True.

"You're being an inconvenience to the rest of us!"
-my little sister.
How old is your sister. (Re) Read Charlotte's Web to her and ask who was inconvenienced in that story. The farmer, the little girl, the uncle, or the pig.

#2720 Old 04-02-2015, 01:04 PM
Beginner

Whilst I get it may not seem like dinnertime conversations, your comments saying it isn't further prove my point... If talking about animals is not dinnertime conversation, that means it's gross and off-putting. If it's gross, then you're obviously not okay with eating corpse... If you're not okay with eating corpse, don't order it?

I agree it could be brought up at a better time but the fact my friends found it off-putting is a clear sign their conscience does not agree with what's on their plate, just saying!
River, Purp, amira23 and 2 others like this.

Check out my blog:

Last edited by lightergait; 04-02-2015 at 01:07 PM.
#2721 Old 04-02-2015, 05:33 PM
Veggie Regular

I was having a conversation with a lunch buddy at work. She knows I am vegan and we were talking about "fake" cheeses and so on. I said I didn't eat them often because they are expensive and lack nutritional value but I will eat one once in a very great while. She said something like "You really need to make every food count anyway as a vegan to meet your nutritional needs so it's probably best that you don't eat those." As she chomped down on processed white bread, processed bologna, and loads of mayo and no vegetables or fruits in site.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

#2722 Old 04-19-2015, 08:04 AM
Lifelong vegetarian

Since this thread has been moved from Vegetarian Support to the Veggie Patch, nobody is posting anymore.

Are there no more stupid remarks from omnivores?

My usual answer: I have never heard a convincing reason to eat meat.
#2723 Old 04-19-2015, 08:19 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by @rno View Post
Since this thread has been moved from Vegetarian Support to the Veggie Patch, nobody is posting anymore.

Are there no more stupid remarks from omnivores?
Sure are. I have two, but one's from a vegetarian.

My meateater friend said this exactly - "You know I would go vegetarian... But pig is ****ing yummy. HAHA that reminds me of the time my vegetarian friend watched me eating a cocktail sausage and told me she was sad cause it was like eating little piglets and so I scoffed it down and went OM NOM NOM as she watched me chew on the pig! Haha it was so funny."

What kind of sick humour is that?

From a vegetarian in a restaurant - "Yeah so I'm a vegetar- OHH the squid is being served, yummy! OH MY GOSH this tastes amazing, you have to try some! Gorgeous!"

Mate, you're not vegetarian. You're pescetarian, and are the reason why people don't take vegetarians seriously. You are ruining the definition of vegetarian for the omnis, so they can say to them "Oh yeah but vegetarians eat fish so actually you're all stupid". Urgh, who is vegetarian and then REJOICES at eating fish? Sorry if that offends anybody.

Check out my blog:

#2724 Old 04-19-2015, 08:22 AM
Veggie Regular

Sure there are! Went to my grandmother's to visit. She gives me some dressing and says:

"There's not really any meat in this. You can eat it. I only used cream of chicken soup. You can eat it. There's only a tiny bit of chicken in it, too. I cut it up real small so you can eat it. "

Later, at the same house, I inquired about the veggies. (I am allergic to the casein found in dairy; if ingested, I end up sick.)

"Well, I haven't mixed the butter in with the potatoes yet, it's just on top. Pick some out of the bottom."

Then she got angry when I declined. I then politely asked about the green beans. She suddenly became livid, and shouted:

"There's no butter in those! I just put a little oil! That's why it looks like butter! You can eat it!"

I ate a small portion and was sick for the next three days. Nope, never again.
#2725 Old 04-19-2015, 09:59 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecanna View Post
Sure there are! Went to my grandmother's to visit. She gives me some dressing and says:

"There's not really any meat in this. You can eat it. I only used cream of chicken soup. You can eat it. There's only a tiny bit of chicken in it, too. I cut it up real small so you can eat it. "

Later, at the same house, I inquired about the veggies. (I am allergic to the casein found in dairy; if ingested, I end up sick.)

"Well, I haven't mixed the butter in with the potatoes yet, it's just on top. Pick some out of the bottom."

Then she got angry when I declined. I then politely asked about the green beans. She suddenly became livid, and shouted:

"There's no butter in those! I just put a little oil! That's why it looks like butter! You can eat it!"

Ugh, I hate that. Why do people think we can eat meat if it's cut into small pieces? I don't even understand where that comes from!
Purp, jessandreia and lightergait like this.
#2726 Old 04-19-2015, 10:35 AM
Veggie Regular

The "I cut it up real small so you can eat it" actually made me chuckle.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

#2727 Old 04-19-2015, 10:42 AM

Stupid things omnivores do: be hunters. Bonus points if they use bows instead of guns.
Purp, mecanna, lightergait and 2 others like this.
#2728 Old 04-19-2015, 11:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Maybe since it won't "look" like meat? :what:
Purp likes this.
#2729 Old 04-20-2015, 05:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Went to a BBQ at my husband's work. They actually bothered to pick up some veggie burgers for us and assured us it was cooked on a seperate part of the BBQ, so that part was great! How considerate!

But then as the burgers were being served, she continued to tell me that the burgers were "vegan, NOT vegetarian". I would have taken her word on it, except most veggie burgers still have gluten in them and I don't eat that and told her as much (she mostly bought them for my husband, I was invited last minute). Immediately she tells me "oh there's not gluten in them!" Once again, I thought, great!

But one of the young guys working there went and got the box so I could read the ingredients and check for gluten. Well there definitely was gluten, but also modified milk ingredients. :P I'm also lactose intolerant, so if I had eaten those, I *really* would have been sick! What I don't understand is how people can be so *sure* about what's in the food they serve when they haven't even checked the ingredients. This is not the first time it's happened to me, it has happened to me quite a bit actually.
Purp likes this.
#2730 Old 04-20-2015, 01:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecanna View Post

Bring your own food next time. I'd think your grandma would know what makes you sick and avoid things like that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by azerea_02 View Post
Went to a BBQ at my husband's work. They actually bothered to pick up some veggie burgers for us and assured us it was cooked on a seperate part of the BBQ, so that part was great! How considerate!

But then as the burgers were being served, she continued to tell me that the burgers were "vegan, NOT vegetarian". I would have taken her word on it, except most veggie burgers still have gluten in them and I don't eat that and told her as much (she mostly bought them for my husband, I was invited last minute). Immediately she tells me "oh there's not gluten in them!" Once again, I thought, great!

But one of the young guys working there went and got the box so I could read the ingredients and check for gluten. Well there definitely was gluten, but also modified milk ingredients. :P I'm also lactose intolerant, so if I had eaten those, I *really* would have been sick! What I don't understand is how people can be so *sure* about what's in the food they serve when they haven't even checked the ingredients. This is not the first time it's happened to me, it has happened to me quite a bit actually.
I tend to double check. I didn't know what whey, casein, etc. were and thankfullly, Google did.

Tags
Vegan-Lifestyle , Vegetarian-Lifestyle , vegan-food

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page