Stupid Things Omnivores Say, Version 6.0 - Page 79 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 1957Likes

#2341 Old 10-09-2014, 09:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliakai View Post
On a forum I frequent vegetarian bashing season has arrived with Thanksgiving and Samhain on the horizon. This little ditty showed up there and I just sat there open mouthed for a bit, unable to respond.

"Personally, I think that animals are getting a really good deal on farms. They get a relativly long lief with the farm and all the food they could want. Animals in the wild don't get a long life. Then they get killed ano nothing is wastid. They get spoild compared to animals in the wild. Vegans need to stop their *****ing. Especially because they drive in cars made of animal parts, listen to music coming from instumens made with animal parts, wash their hair with soaps made from animal fat, and I bet even the processed crap they buy has animal ingredients in it, just not on the lable. Vegans are such hypoctis."

Yeah...
So, too much meat makes your English grammer and spelling that bad??

Quote:
Also from the same board (it's a cooking board mind you, I don't know why there's so much hate thrown at veg'ns).

">Every sunday i like to smoke some ribs and make steaks with friends
>sit in a lawnchair and drink beer to the sweet smokey scent
>angry neighbors just moved in, a vegan mom and her 3 pale skinny offspring
>one particular evening 4 hours into to my smoking the neighbor lady comes out and starts screaming over the fence that the smell is making her children sick
>tell her theres nothing i can do about it, and i go back to sitting with my buddy
>20 minutes later a police officer shows up about a neighborhood disturbance
>the ***** called the police on me
>explain the situation, the officer leaves
>i go back inside to get the butcher paper to finish off the the ribs and as i come back shes on the other side of the fence with a hose watering down my smoker
>screams at me about im no better than a murderer and next time she's going to call the fire department"

Some of the replies make me sad...

"Get a bunch of cheap ass bologna and throw the slices all over the ****s yard and roof of the house.

Also, get a bunch of cheap hot dogs and chop them into little bits and throw them all over the place so it will take for ****ing ever to pick them all up."

">get brown paper bag
>take to bathroom
>fill bag with faeces
>roll bag up
>place bag outside angry neighbours front door
>set on fire
>????????
>PROFIT"

"The next time you smoke some meat, make it a big family cookout with multiple smokers churning full blast constantly with multiple whole hogs on spits over an open fire coupled with multiple BBQ's.

It would be expensive, but you could ask your guests to bring something to add to the fires each.

Completely gas her out of her home with meaty goodness."

"You can do a few things if you really want to **** with her.

1. Call child services about her depriving her children of vital nutrition. Probably won't go anywhere but the call alone is offensive.

2. Secretly feed her kids meat. Nothing could be better than having her think her kids are vegan when your secretly giving them some delicious smoked meat.

3. Move smoker away from hose range and get a locking gate to your yard/build up a tall fence.

4. If you like your other neighbors invite them all to a bring your own meat BBQ. Offer to do all the cooking all they have to do is bring their choice of meat, don't forget to invite the vegan as well. Enjoy a fun day of beer BBQ with your nice neighbors. And pissing the vegan off. If it goes well make it a weekly event"

I'm about ready to vacate this board...if it weren't for the fact that some of the other veg'ns there are actually really good cooks with great ideas.
I wouldn't have reacted the way the veg*an lady with kids reacted. I would've made a neighborhood picnic/BBQ/gathering with all delicious veg*an food to share and get to know the neighbor first. That's just me, though.
Alex JB and anole like this.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2342 Old 10-10-2014, 02:14 AM
Veggie Regular

At lunch yesterday a coworker was talking about her daughter taking a science class in high school and her daughter was upset and disturbed by having to dissect a frog. My coworker said the frog was already dead so it shouldn't be a big deal.

Huh?....

It's like saying, well, all the chickens at the grocery store were kept in cages and lived horrible lives and then were mercilessly slaughtered but they are dead now anyway so we might as well just eat them.

As a side note, I got out of an anatomy and physiology class a few years ago that used animals for dissection. I was able to get into another A & P class that used online simulations at the last minute. In the process of going through that nightmare, I tracked where the animals supplied to the school came from. Sure enough, the majority of animals that are supplied for schools (grade schools and college) come from factory farms, labs, and from dog pounds (euthanized cats and dogs). If that isn't a bit disturbing.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#2343 Old 10-10-2014, 01:42 PM
Veggie Regular

My friend and I in her car...
Friend: I find myself more empathetic to the plight of wild animals I see, like the crow with the broken wing I saw on the way to your house.

Me: So...about farm animals...?

Friend: I have no problem with that as long as it's humanely slaughtered.

Me:...Uh...Humanely?

Friend: (changing the subject) So, what plans do you have for this weekend?
Muttley likes this.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2344 Old 10-10-2014, 07:16 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

...Purp: "This weekend, why, I'm going to be cooking stuff on the barbecue grill that isn't pieces of dead animals. And you? "
Werewolf Girl, Purp and Muttley like this.
#2345 Old 10-10-2014, 09:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post
...Purp: "This weekend, why, I'm going to be cooking stuff on the barbecue grill that isn't pieces of dead animals. And you? "
Werewolf Girl and LedBoots like this.

#2346 Old 10-12-2014, 02:41 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#2347 Old 10-13-2014, 08:33 PM
Beginner

I should know better than to be upset about this, but it makes me sad... 1) I've had an emotional day 2) I thought this person had similar values to me and am apparently sorely mistaken.

A "friend" on the social medias who I defended (politely) in a comment came back attacking me and defended the person who had originally commented (much less politely) attacking said "friend."
skipping the details of those comments, the end result--
"friend" commented that they basically don't care about treatment of food industry-abused animals, don't care that animals are eaten, and that humans would never stop eating meat so none of that matters. They only care about mistreatment of pets.
...this was in a post "friend" made promoting a petition to STOP MISTREATMENT OF PIGS IN SLAUGHTER HOUSES.

So, "friend" no more. I'm bummed. Known this person for the last 10 years.
Thankfully tomorrow there will be less stupid in my life, I guess.
Purp likes this.
#2348 Old 10-14-2014, 12:05 AM
Veggie Regular

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by anole View Post
I should know better than to be upset about this, but it makes me sad... 1) I've had an emotional day 2) I thought this person had similar values to me and am apparently sorely mistaken.

A "friend" on the social medias who I defended (politely) in a comment came back attacking me and defended the person who had originally commented (much less politely) attacking said "friend."
skipping the details of those comments, the end result--
"friend" commented that they basically don't care about treatment of food industry-abused animals, don't care that animals are eaten, and that humans would never stop eating meat so none of that matters. They only care about mistreatment of pets.
...this was in a post "friend" made promoting a petition to STOP MISTREATMENT OF PIGS IN SLAUGHTER HOUSES.

So, "friend" no more. I'm bummed. Known this person for the last 10 years.
Thankfully tomorrow there will be less stupid in my life, I guess.
Sorry to hear this. Hang in there, you'll find more people who share your values about animal farming.
anole likes this.

#2349 Old 10-15-2014, 03:28 AM
Veggie Regular

This morning a friend on FB posted a picture of her teenage son proudly holding a squirrel that he had killed with his bow. She went on to say that her son had named the squirrel Fred before killing it and once the pelt was cleaned he would use it to decorate his locker.

There were all sorts of likes and positive comments and somehow we're the crazy ones.

Last edited by amhappy1; 10-15-2014 at 03:31 AM.
#2350 Old 10-15-2014, 06:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by amhappy1 View Post
This morning a friend on FB posted a picture of her teenage son proudly holding a squirrel that he had killed with his bow. She went on to say that her son had named the squirrel Fred before killing it and once the pelt was cleaned he would use it to decorate his locker.

There were all sorts of likes and positive comments and somehow we're the crazy ones.
That is just so twisted! :P
Purp and Jasminedesi16 like this.
#2351 Old 10-16-2014, 07:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by amhappy1 View Post

#2352 Old 10-25-2014, 05:40 AM

Just watched a documentary about Koko, a gorilla that has been taught sign language:

"In their natural habitats Gorillas are vegetarians. Koko eats hamburgers and takes vitamins like any American child."

I find it so disturbing how humans feel the need to feed an animal like Koko, that they themself acknowledge is from nature's side a strict herbivore, meat. Why?
Purp likes this.
#2353 Old 10-25-2014, 11:17 AM
Beginner

Went to a vegan festival today with a great friend - a meateater, though. After all the meals I have cooked her, the documentaries she has seen, the amount of times she has cried over seeing a "cute" animal die, she said to me, in reply to me asking how she could still eat meat, these many heart-wrenching, disappointing things:

"There are so many cows now that they produce so much methane. If we didn't breed cows they would be extinct and they would have NOTHING to do."
"We're the only animal with a conscience, which means we were smart enough to farm animals and so that means we're entitled to eat animals and have dairy."
"We ARE above animals... They don't really do anything, but we rule this world."
"I just think I have an emotional problem, you know, where there's a psychological term for where you can't care about other people or anything."
"I mean I don't really like meat anyway, and I'm dairy intolerant, but I could never go vegan."

And of all those comments, the one that actually gets me worst is when a person says they can't go vegan. When will people use their English? It's won't. They treat veganism as if it's a test you have to pass, as if you have to go on an emotional obstacle course of avoiding temptation, as if meat is sooo delicious that their minds physically won't allow them to be a vegan. Blooming riles me up some!

Oh and one of my flatmates asked to taste a chickpea curry I was making, he took a spoonful and went "Ahh, that needs one more thing and it'll be perfect!" I got excited for his reply, until he said "Chicken." Disgusting
Purp and Muttley like this.
#2354 Old 10-25-2014, 10:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbbr View Post
Just watched a documentary about Koko, a gorilla that has been taught sign language:

"In their natural habitats Gorillas are vegetarians. Koko eats hamburgers and takes vitamins like any American child."

I find it so disturbing how humans feel the need to feed an animal like Koko, that they themself acknowledge is from nature's side a strict herbivore, meat. Why?
I'm going to be a gentle about this as possible. People su, uh, stink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightergait View Post
Went to a vegan festival today with a great friend - a meateater, though. After all the meals I have cooked her, the documentaries she has seen, the amount of times she has cried over seeing a "cute" animal die, she said to me, in reply to me asking how she could still eat meat, these many heart-wrenching, disappointing things:

"There are so many cows now that they produce so much methane. If we didn't breed cows they would be extinct and they would have NOTHING to do."
"We're the only animal with a conscience, which means we were smart enough to farm animals and so that means we're entitled to eat animals and have dairy."
"We ARE above animals... They don't really do anything, but we rule this world."
"I just think I have an emotional problem, you know, where there's a psychological term for where you can't care about other people or anything."
"I mean I don't really like meat anyway, and I'm dairy intolerant, but I could never go vegan."

And of all those comments, the one that actually gets me worst is when a person says they can't go vegan. When will people use their English? It's won't. They treat veganism as if it's a test you have to pass, as if you have to go on an emotional obstacle course of avoiding temptation, as if meat is sooo delicious that their minds physically won't allow them to be a vegan. Blooming riles me up some!

Oh and one of my flatmates asked to taste a chickpea curry I was making, he took a spoonful and went "Ahh, that needs one more thing and it'll be perfect!" I got excited for his reply, until he said "Chicken." Disgusting
Did you kick him in the shins?
Muttley and lightergait like this.

#2355 Old 10-29-2014, 03:01 PM
Veggie Regular

I was at uni today eating lunch with a group of people from my class and the saw what I was eating and asked what it was and it came up that I was a vegetarian. And this one guy says to me, "yeah in your part of the world, the middle east and India they care more for cows and pigs then they do about humans, it seems like humans are being slaughtered and animals aren't." I honestly had no idea what to say I honestly couldn't believe what he had said, I couldn't even respond to it.
#2356 Old 10-29-2014, 03:58 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasminedesi16 View Post
I was at uni today eating lunch with a group of people from my class and the saw what I was eating and asked what it was and it came up that I was a vegetarian. And this one guy says to me, "yeah in your part of the world, the middle east and India they care more for cows and pigs then they do about humans, it seems like humans are being slaughtered and animals aren't." I honestly had no idea what to say I honestly couldn't believe what he had said, I couldn't even respond to it.
That is horrible! Did no one else speak up and smack down this fool?
#2357 Old 10-30-2014, 10:22 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
That is horrible! Did no one else speak up and smack down this fool?
Yes thankfully! Someone told him that the Middle East and India are entirely different cultures and different religions and that he shouldn't generalize about other countries. It was so embarrassing though because I didn't know what to say, luckily everyone else was really nice and didn't care about about what I ate they were actually curious about it and interested in it and one even asked me if I knew any good vegan restaurants
Purp, LedBoots and lightergait like this.
#2358 Old 11-06-2014, 12:08 PM
The Corpulent Vegan

Remember that horrible board I posted about last time that I love because of the rare times that I get awesome recipes from it? Yeah, I found this there this morning. Picky omnivores...this right here is the reason that everyone has that "one vegetarian friend that doesn't mind chicken broth and actual flavor in their food."

Quote:
Hey /ck/. I'm becoming a vegetarian and reducing my dairy intake because I want to be healthier. I'll probably keep chicken and fish in my diet because they aren't that bad for you. I'm pretty decent at cooking, but most of the things I'm used to making involve meat or cheese in some form or another. What are some of your favorite vegetarian recipes?
Purp, elsie182 and Jasminedesi16 like this.
#2359 Old 11-06-2014, 12:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Remember that horrible board I posted about last time that I love because of the rare times that I get awesome recipes from it? Yeah, I found this there this morning. Picky omnivores...this right here is the reason that everyone has that "one vegetarian friend that doesn't mind chicken broth and actual flavor in their food."
Geez! Doesn't that person know what meat IS? Like, the definition of the word..? Animal flesh..?
Jasminedesi16 likes this.
#2360 Old 11-07-2014, 11:09 AM
Veggie Regular

So apparently there's a new study out that says eating vegetables doesn't matter because it kills animals too, one of my friends showed me the article today and then said, "see you should start eating meat!" I seriously all most lost my temper. Here's the article too:
http://www.iflscience.com/plants-and...ood-your-hands

And then after I started arguing with my friend, she told me "Well people have been eating meat all the way back in the 1300s and that we need to live." Ugh It made me so mad because I wasn't even talking about Vegetarian or anything. It was like she did on purpose to get a rise out of me.
#2361 Old 11-07-2014, 11:20 AM
Herbivorous Urchin

That article almost exclusively applies to Australia, and has been hugely refuted by Gary Francione. Ok go look for that now.

Here it is, the response is old but it's on the same issue:
http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/...-kille/4679802

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray

Last edited by River; 11-07-2014 at 11:23 AM.
#2362 Old 11-07-2014, 11:33 AM
Beginner

My friend said to me the other day that I can't be vegan because I bite my nails
#2363 Old 11-07-2014, 11:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post
That article almost exclusively applies to Australia, and has been hugely refuted by Gary Francione. Ok go look for that now.

Here it is, the response is old but it's on the same issue:
http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/...-kille/4679802
Thank you River, wish I had this article at the time :P
#2364 Old 11-07-2014, 11:39 AM
Herbivorous Urchin

Quote:
My friend said to me the other day that I can't be vegan because I bite my nails
lightergait likes this.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#2365 Old 11-07-2014, 11:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasminedesi16 View Post
So apparently there's a new study out that says eating vegetables doesn't matter because it kills animals too, one of my friends showed me the article today and then said, "see you should start eating meat!" I seriously all most lost my temper. Here's the article too:
http://www.iflscience.com/plants-and...ood-your-hands

And then after I started arguing with my friend, she told me "Well people have been eating meat all the way back in the 1300s and that we need to live." Ugh It made me so mad because I wasn't even talking about Vegetarian or anything. It was like she did on purpose to get a rise out of me.
Your friend WAS trying to get a rise out of you... I'd limit my time with her if I were you...

#2366 Old 11-08-2014, 06:57 AM
Lifelong vegetarian

Quote:
with salt and pepper?

My usual answer: I have never heard a convincing reason to eat meat.
#2367 Old 11-08-2014, 08:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purp View Post
Your friend WAS trying to get a rise out of you... I'd limit my time with her if I were you...
Yeah Purp, I agree. I doubt any real friend would do that.
#2368 Old 11-08-2014, 05:56 PM
Veggie Regular

I can't wait until hunting season is over here. All I hear about everywhere is killing dear and grouse and other wild creatures. Even the women go out and hunt here. And it isn't even about survival or feeding the family. It's all about the sport and the chance to kill something. On public radio they were talking about the need to shorten or limit hunting season due to a shortage of the deer population up here. The herd was hit hard with last years very cold and long winter and a lot of deer perished. The hunters don't care about that. They think deer are a dime a dozen. Even wolves are hunted up here now. I always feel like I am swimming against a tidal wave around here. Sighs...

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#2369 Old 11-09-2014, 09:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebound View Post
I can't wait until hunting season is over here. All I hear about everywhere is killing dear and grouse and other wild creatures. Even the women go out and hunt here. And it isn't even about survival or feeding the family. It's all about the sport and the chance to kill something. On public radio they were talking about the need to shorten or limit hunting season due to a shortage of the deer population up here. The herd was hit hard with last years very cold and long winter and a lot of deer perished. The hunters don't care about that. They think deer are a dime a dozen. Even wolves are hunted up here now. I always feel like I am swimming against a tidal wave around here. Sighs...
The next time you bump into a hunter, ask why s/he is a hunter. When you get the "animal population needs to be under control" spiel, tell them there are 7 billion+ people on the planet, then ask what species really needs to be under control...Make sure to look all sweet and innocent when you do this, too. Something like this even though, inside, you'll be looking like this

#2370 Old 11-10-2014, 11:03 PM
Lifelong vegetarian

And wear a bulletproof vest.
Naturebound likes this.

My usual answer: I have never heard a convincing reason to eat meat.

Tags
Vegan-Lifestyle , Vegetarian-Lifestyle , vegan-food

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page