Stupid Things Omnivores Say, Version 6.0 - Page 49 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 1957Likes

#1441 Old 12-21-2013, 01:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Okay so this isn't exactly what omnis would say, but it would be a good question to ask omnis though! 

Brain Floss and Opolitlo like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#1442 Old 12-21-2013, 12:31 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeoneHere3 View Post

I was at an upscale American Grill restaurant with my family and grandparents, and on the four page menu, there were only two things I could have: fries, and maybe a salad. I asked for a "garden salad" or a "greens salad" I know that sometimes this isn't listed on the menu or is tough to find. The waiter, who seemed very knowledgeable, looked at me as though i had three heads. I clarified, saying that I would like a salad without meat or cheese on it if possible. He looked at me like I was from another planet, and said, "all of our salads have bacon on them".

Ummm........ I said, "yes, I understand, but can I have a salad, hold the bacon, hold the cheese please". He was getting a little flustered with me, and asked what i actually wanted on my salad. I told him that I wanted lettuce and veggies and hopefully some dressing. The waiter left with my order, obviously annoyed with me, and when the meals came back, the manager brought my salad out. 

I didn't like feeling as though I was throwing a wrench in it all, but I too was annoyed: there was almost nothing on the extensive menu that I could eat even with about eight different salads.... Is it that crazy to want a salad with just veggies?? Since when is bacon a requirement or an expectation on all salads? :huh: :wall: 

They probably make the salads in huge batches beforehand and store them, so they already have pig in them. I wonder why the manager brought out the salad? To see what a vegan looks like? tongue3.gif
#1443 Old 12-21-2013, 07:04 PM
Veggie Regular

I went to visit my grandmother today and she wouldn't stop talking about how great the meat at that place is and how she ate meat yesterday and how my mother was complaining about not being able to buy veal where she lives at, all while cooking meat pie in the oven. I'm pretty sure I involuntarily left out a few grimaces of disgust. I don't know if she noticed.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#1444 Old 12-23-2013, 01:40 PM
Veggie Regular

I hope this doesn't sound mean of me, but I really can't stand people who are all for animal rights but eat meat. I know someone who tweets pentions all the time and goes on and on abut how she is an animal rights activist and when I tell her nicely about where meat comes from she asks me what companies does it like that and all her meat and eggs are humane. She also lectured on me how you don't have to vegetarian to love animals, you just stop eating meat once a week helps. I don't understand how can you still love animals but eat them?!   

ewcollins likes this.
#1445 Old 12-23-2013, 04:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasminedesi16 View Post

I hope this doesn't sound mean of me, but I really can't stand people who are all for animal rights but eat meat. I know someone who tweets pentions all the time and goes on and on abut how she is an animal rights activist and when I tell her nicely about where meat comes from she asks me what companies does it like that and all her meat and eggs are humane. She also lectured on me how you don't have to vegetarian to love animals, you just stop eating meat once a week helps. I don't understand how can you still love animals but eat them?!   

Well were you ever omni?

#1446 Old 12-23-2013, 06:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamizushi View Post

Well were you ever omni?

Yeah I was, and I understand were she's coming from but its the fact she completely ignores anything on vegetarians and gets so defensive. Even when I was Omni I didn't put down vegetarians.    

#1447 Old 12-23-2013, 07:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasminedesi16 View Post

Yeah I was, and I understand were she's coming from but its the fact she completely ignores anything on vegetarians and gets so defensive. Even when I was Omni I didn't put down vegetarians.    

I'm afraid I can't say the same for myself. I thought any form of animal right advocacy was silly and that we should care for humans before we care about animals. My attitude toward vegetarians was "I don't mind, it's more bacon for me". I had huge misconceptions about dietetics, like I thought that veganism could not possibly be healthy because "there are 4 essential proteins that can only be found in animals"(I had no idea what amino acids were). For a while, I didn't really think animals had real emotions like humans do, that we were just projecting our own emotions into them. If someone had told me just 3 years ago that I was gonna go vegan, I would have died of laughter.

#1448 Old 12-24-2013, 07:15 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamizushi View Post

I'm afraid I can't say the same for myself. I thought any form of animal right advocacy was silly and that we should care for humans before we care about animals. My attitude toward vegetarians was "I don't mind, it's more bacon for me". I had huge misconceptions about dietetics, like I thought that veganism could not possibly be healthy because "there are 4 essential proteins that can only be found in animals"(I had no idea what amino acids were). For a while, I didn't really think animals had real emotions like humans do, that we were just projecting our own emotions into them. If someone had told me just 3 years ago that I was gonna go vegan, I would have died of laughter.

Congrats on your wonderful progress, Kamizushi! :)

EDIT: this just happened at work 2 minutes ago.

"Proof that God loves us: bacon!"

#1449 Old 12-24-2013, 09:17 PM

"But you eat fish, right?"  :doh:

#1450 Old 12-24-2013, 09:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by azerea_02 View Post

Congrats on your wonderful progress, Kamizushi! :)

EDIT: this just happened at work 2 minutes ago.

"Proof that God loves us: bacon!"

No, no. Proof that God loves us is chocolate.  

natty6 likes this.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#1451 Old 12-25-2013, 04:26 AM

Point in case that meatless Mondays do more damage than good for the fight for animal rights
#1452 Old 12-25-2013, 08:47 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy85 View Post

Point in case that meatless Mondays do more damage than good for the fight for animal rights

I don't know what you're commenting on, but I think meatless Mondays can have a very positive affect. The problem is in how they're handled.

I know many people who say they'd like to give up meat but family pressure, and just not understanding how to go about it without being deprived keep them from trying.

What I'd really really like is to see vegan chefs get some air time! People don't want all healthy plant based. Where's the variety? How about featuring something as basic as a good vegetable stew with herbed dumplings? Comfort type foods that are so common, and so easily made vegan?

Dam I want a show that has a vegan chef paired with an omni chef, or something like Vegan Dish!

What happened to Vegan Mashup? I only found two shows?

Christine Cooks, and Jazzy Vegetarian are the only vegan chefs on TV

Make vegan things more normal would be a great win for AR

Purp likes this.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#1453 Old 12-25-2013, 03:13 PM

The post from Jasmine which stated her friend proclaimed she was an animal rights activist and does a lot for animals because she gives up meat once a week.
#1454 Old 12-25-2013, 05:53 PM

Mum: Have you eaten all the panettone? Shall I bring another one when I come?

Me: Well I can't eat it because it has eggs and milk in.

pause

Mum: There can't be very much of them in it.

#1455 Old 12-25-2013, 06:00 PM

"It doesn't count as eating meat when you're eating meat on Christmas."  ~My uncle, who once again ate my vegetarian option before I got to it, despite the fact that (I thought) I had it pretty well hidden.  <sigh>  

#1456 Old 12-25-2013, 06:07 PM
Meat Free Since Dec 2013!

ignore - posted this in the wrong place and can't figure out how to delete!  arrgh!

#1457 Old 12-25-2013, 06:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyme View Post

"It doesn't count as eating meat when you're eating meat on Christmas."  ~My uncle, who once again ate my vegetarian option before I got to it, despite the fact that (I thought) I had it pretty well hidden.  <sigh>  

Did you tell him it was your vegetarian option?

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#1458 Old 12-26-2013, 05:33 AM

When people use vegan and vegetarian interchangeably. "Oh you're like, a vegan right?"
#1459 Old 12-26-2013, 10:12 AM

I'm thinking an omni must be publishing our weekly café menu at work:

Someone apparently thinks chicken is a vegetable.  Our vegan choices would be pathetic if we did not also have an awesome salad bar (although about 30% of it is meat, cheese, and eggs).

60225 likes this.
#1460 Old 12-26-2013, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purp View Post

Did you tell him it was your vegetarian option?

Technically no. I did have a veggie sloppy joe mixed in Tupperware, labelled with my name and  "Vegetarian/NO MEAT," and had it tucked into the back of the veggie drawer in my grandmother's fridge.  I had made enough for myself and my grandmother (she was only expecting me for dinner, but a bunch of my extended family showed up too).  It's the 3rd time that particular uncle has either eaten, or thrown away, what I've brought with me to eat, or what was special ordered for me.  

#1461 Old 12-26-2013, 11:55 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Technically no. I did have a veggie sloppy joe mixed in Tupperware, labelled with my name and  "Vegetarian/NO MEAT," and had it tucked into the back of the veggie drawer in my grandmother's fridge.  I had made enough for myself and my grandmother (she was only expecting me for dinner, but a bunch of my extended family showed up too).  It's the 3rd time that particular uncle has either eaten, or thrown away, what I've brought with me to eat, or what was special ordered for me.  

If it's the 3rd time, it was probably not an mistake. It I was you, I'd confront him.

#1462 Old 12-26-2013, 01:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

It's the 3rd time that particular uncle has either eaten, or thrown away, what I've brought with me to eat, or what was special ordered for me.  

As the saying goes: Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it’s enemy action.

I agree with what Kamizushi says; you need to confront your uncle and ask him what his problem is.

#1463 Old 12-26-2013, 05:47 PM
Poo Pie Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by leedsveg View Post

As the saying goes: Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it’s enemy action.

I agree with what Kamizushi says; you need to confront your uncle and ask him what his problem is.
I would say that the third time is proof of passive agressive behavior, something that I personally cannot stand. (either way, it is hostile).
And yes, as Kamizushi said, confrontation may be needed. First ask a few questions (did you eat the meal I had in the fridge) and then go from there up to ultimatums.
I do not recommend this, but if it were me, and I knew for certain someone was doing this sort of passive agressive crap to me... Well.. I would take something of their's that was of similar intrinsic and emotional value and make it "disappear". The third time I had to resort to this, I woud make it (crunch) disappear while they were present. (I'm not normally a vindictive type person, but there are not many ways to get messages through to a passive agressive type person's mind.)

Edit: I realize that my fantasy method of dealing with this is passive agressive in nature, that was the point. Just in case anyone wondered why I would fantasize about using a method of aggression that I disdain...
Blobbenstein likes this.
#1464 Old 12-26-2013, 08:24 PM
Veggie Regular

According to my mom, my grandmother has been complaining about how my cousin is in Creationism, my other cousin is in a fundamentalist church and I'm in vegetarianism. (my grandmother is a staunch atheist as I am.)

My mother says she thinks my grandmother is getting old and she is starting to lose her mental capacity (she keep forgetting were she puts her stuff, she doesn't always seam to realize who she is talking too etc) and that she's just trying to shrug off the fact that we have a difference of opinion by assuming that I'm just brainwashed.

Anyway, if it's just gonna cause problems, I'm just gonna change subject every time my grandmother brings my diet up. There is no point in trying to defend my point of view to a 83 years old who is just getting upset about it.

BuddhistLady likes this.
#1465 Old 12-26-2013, 08:26 PM
Veggie Regular

oops. double post
#1466 Old 12-26-2013, 10:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I agree with the other 2. Confront your uncle. Or ask him if he's vegetarian, too. If he says no, then ask him why he's eating your veggie option. Ask him if he'd like you to make some for him, as well. Don't let him treat you like this.  

#1467 Old 12-27-2013, 12:47 AM

I posted a status on facebook about how it was my 6 year anniversary of when I decided to live a vegetarian lifestyle. Jokingly I said the perfect gift would be no body ever telling me the foods they would miss if they had to be vegetarian. No more than half an hour later a jerk (I wish I could remove him but alas he owes me money... tmi) goes "Man, I would die without steak." I was so angry that, had no one been there to catch it, my laptop would've been smashed on the floor.
Purp likes this.
#1468 Old 12-27-2013, 08:35 AM
Veggie Regular

Yay family! I fixed plates for my kids and we sat down. One relative almost broke her neck to see what they had, and promptly screeched: MEAT! They need meat! Then started goading them to go put 'real food' on their plates. She ignores me, thankfully my dad managed to hush her up.
Purp and elviralynn like this.
#1469 Old 12-27-2013, 08:47 AM
Veggie Regular

One more! Stupid things omnivores write? On a corner down the road from my house sits a dumpster. Wonderful. Posted above this dumpster is a sign. It reads: " DEAD DEER CARCASSES ONLY" I wasn't aware that the deer had a zombie apocalypse!
Purp likes this.
#1470 Old 12-27-2013, 09:35 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecanna View Post

One more! Stupid things omnivores write? On a corner down the road from my house sits a dumpster. Wonderful. Posted above this dumpster is a sign. It reads: " DEAD DEER CARCASSES ONLY" I wasn't aware that the deer had a zombie apocalypse!
Is this in an area with a lot of hunters? I've never had to deal with such things, but I'd assume that after killing an animal and taking off the meat that they're going to use, the skeleton and other unusable parts could be pretty big. Keeping that separate from normal trash for sanitary reasons would make sense. Gross to think about, but not necessarily stupid.

--Fromper
juggle.gif

Tags
Vegan-Lifestyle , Vegetarian-Lifestyle , vegan-food

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page