Stupid Things Omnivores Say, Version 6.0 - Page 48 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 1957Likes

#1411 Old 12-19-2013, 04:27 AM

Well, that's true, fake fur exist, but for having helped associations against fur trade, I'm quite an expert on that matter, and unfortunately, I can tell you most of the fur I see are real, and especially the ones I saw at the restaurant. Cause anyway when I see a fake one, it doesn't even hold my attention,I have no problem with fake of course :rolleyes: But the fact is that here in France (and I would say generally in Europe) we have an horrible trend of a certain kind of very casual coats, everybody just buy. I don't know if you have the same thing in the US, but here you walk in the streets in Paris in november or january and you can be sure nearly 2 persons out of 3 will have the same f**kin coat, it's a sort of down jacket, dark color, with a fur trim hood. You have cheap ones that don't cost more than 10 or 20 euros, made in the worst fur farms in Asia, but you have all kind, even expansive ones with big luxuriant fur from Canadian trademarks. Such a nightmare, every autumn and winter since a couple of years, this is my fear, to see this hundreds and millions of stupid people (some very very young) all wearing the same ****... :spew:

It looks like this (I had made this design for a page I manage against fur trade, it's not very good, cause I'm not a graphist...lol) *

Anyway... that's another matter I guess.

But yeah, France is not the best place to be VG, even though I think it's changing now (that's why I'm trying to make this photo project happen, to add a stone to the construction of evolution), and I'm in Paris, so I guess it's still better than elsewhere in France if you want to find vg food.

Clara T. - Veggie photographer

You want to support art and veganism in the same time?

Please have a look at my photography project:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
style="text-align:center;">---------> This is an international portrait sighseing of all kind of VG people in the world, my aim...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#1412 Old 12-19-2013, 05:07 AM

Often fake or faux fur is actually dog hair from china.
#1413 Old 12-19-2013, 05:30 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy85 View Post

*pass out*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#1414 Old 12-19-2013, 06:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

It 'can' be. There are ways to test it.

.... I know I'm going to sound like a crazy lady, but I actually have been known to burn faux fur, to make sure it's faux. (It was a jacket I had that I got before I went veg)

There's also some great faux fur brands out there now (I love Spirit Hoods!).

#1415 Old 12-19-2013, 06:52 AM

Agreed that it isn't all just wanted to make people aware that some pretty big clothing brands have been found out for it.
#1416 Old 12-19-2013, 08:08 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecanna View Post

In my experience, both Alabama and Mississippi are pretty difficult. Northwest Florida, Louisiana, and rural Texas haven't been very accommodating either. So I would conclude that the southern US is not the best place to be. The majority of people I meet believe that vegetarians eat seafood, and vegans are a weird race of aliens from Star Trek.

Southern and central Florida are usually pretty good for veg*n food. I will say that having lived in southeast Florida, there are almost no veg-only restaurants, but there are a ton of restaurants that have good veg food, even though they serve meat.

Northern Florida is part of the deep South, and I wouldn't expect to be able to find veg food easily there. If you're going to be in Alabama and Texas, be sure to ask what's in the vegetables every time you eat out - cooking stuff in lard or chicken broth is still normal in the deep South.

--Fromper
juggle.gif
#1417 Old 12-19-2013, 08:20 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniela View Post

So I eliminated my freezer of meat. I posted an ad on craigslist in the free section. I had a massive amount of responses and ultimately I picked a women who told me she was going through rough times financially. However, this one other women emailed me about three times over the ad. I told her it was gone and the ad was removed and not to be rude (she sent me an angry email because I didn't respond to her first email). Some people! Apparently, being barraged with emails is no excuse.

Anywho, I'm now a crazy vegetarian in need of medication for my unhealthy lifestyle. It's okay, I called her out and asked if she was seeking treatment for her apparent drug issues.

It was nice of you to give it away for free and to pick someone who might need it more. As for that other person.... I wish that kind of behaviour was surprising. 

#1418 Old 12-19-2013, 10:00 AM
Veggie Regular

Absolutely right, it is the norm to "season" any cooked vegetable with butter or bacon grease.
#1419 Old 12-19-2013, 10:32 AM

I live in northeast Florida and we are starting to get a few veg*n options in Jacksonville.  We have one 100% vegan restaurant and one 100% vegan bakery.  There are a few other places that are veg*n friendly but most also serve meat.  And yes, this part of Florida is considered the deep south, bacon grease or lard or butter on everything.

We had our office holiday party yesterday.  The only thing that did not have meat in it was the raw veggie tray.  I actually had someone ask me, "Aren't you allowed to take just one day off?"  I guess he thinks it is a cult and someone has made me do this crazy thing. And the office manager, who set up the party, accused me of trying to "ruin" all her work because I did not eat meat.  I was perfectly happy with my plate of veggies.

#1420 Old 12-19-2013, 11:15 AM

I don't quite get faux fur being worn by people that would not wear real fur.

It seems that it merely reinforces the attitude that wearing animal carcass is fashionable. "I don't support wearing dead animals, but I want to appear as if I do."?
AlexandraBee likes this.
#1421 Old 12-19-2013, 11:21 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppetBoy View Post

It seems that it merely reinforces the attitude that wearing animal carcass is fashionable. "I don't support wearing dead animals, but I want to appear as if I do."?

I see this as comparable to eating mock meats like veggie dogs and burgers.

#1422 Old 12-19-2013, 11:47 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by azerea_02 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppetBoy View Post

I see this as comparable to eating mock meats like veggie dogs and burgers.
I disagree. With mock meats, it's about wanting a particular taste, but you aren't publicly endorsing a particular style the way you are with fake fur.

--Fromper
juggle.gif
#1423 Old 12-19-2013, 12:13 PM

Quote:

When I say fake fur, I mean from what I see, what I touch, what I judge myself. The labels don't matter since the legislation is so indulgent about it.

Sometimes just by sight it can be a little bit hard to tell, but I don't understand how people can't distinguish when touching it... I mean, if you stroke a dog, a cat, or whatever animal it is, it won't feel the same as when you stroke a plush toy!... Don't you think so?... :eek:

I don't know... it seems so obvious to me (in 99% of the cases) to tell the difference between animal hair and fake fur...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
style="text-align:center;">---------> This is an international portrait sighseing of all kind of VG people in the world, my aim...

#1424 Old 12-19-2013, 12:30 PM
Veggie Regular

As for fake fur, I see it like looking fashionable without the cruelty. One might think it looks good, but don't want to contribute to suffering by wearing real fur. IMO fake meat is kind of the same thing, enjoying the taste as Fromper says.

#1425 Old 12-19-2013, 01:33 PM
Lifelong vegetarian

I see a loose thread.

My usual answer: I have never heard a convincing reason to eat meat.
#1426 Old 12-19-2013, 02:08 PM
Poo Pie Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by @rno View Post

I see a loose thread.
Maybe we finally reached the STOS singularity where everything stupid that an omnivore could say has already been said?

Oh wait. That reminds me, few weeks ago I got one.

I was working with a new worker who is from the hollers of the deep south. She moved to Maine because it is the holler of new England. I had brought a soup I made to work for lunch and it happened to have tofu in it.

Her: is that tofu?
Me: yes, it's a tofu soup.
Her: I could never eat tofu, it's fake meat.
Me: tofu is tofu, it isn't fake meat. It is basically the soy milk version of cottage cheese. It has been around for centuries.
Her: still, it is fake meat and I could never eat that.
Blobbenstein likes this.
#1427 Old 12-19-2013, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromper View Post

I disagree. With mock meats, it's about wanting a particular taste, but you aren't publicly endorsing a particular style the way you are with fake fur.

--Fromper
juggle.gif
I agree -- I see fake fur different than fake meat. Fake fur serves to validate carcass-wear as fashionable. Fake meat merely attempts to replicate a taste and/or texture.
#1428 Old 12-19-2013, 04:52 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Mod Post:

The possible ethical dilemma in faux fur is an interesting topic, but it belongs in its own thread. If you would like to start another on the subject feel free. In the mean time, let's keep this one on track wink3.gif

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#1429 Old 12-19-2013, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

I just hit the STOS JACKPOT!

Read this and feel your blood boil: The 14 Dumbest Things Meat Eaters Have To Deal With

I just don't even know where to begin with this article. SO. MUCH. STUPID. The comments are a goldmine too.

I can't even. I've never demonized anyone for eating meat and I don't even talk that much about vegetarianism unless people ask. On the other side, I constantly get asked why I don't eat meat, or lectured about the importance of protein, etc. That's so ridiculous and ignorant. 

#1430 Old 12-20-2013, 06:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by VGART4Life View Post

Yeah, I had guessed... that's why I was asking and guessing it would depends on the regions.
As far as I saw, California of course is very avant-garde, I guess in NY it's also very easy to eat veggie, but it looks like it's different in Florida and South states. When I was in Florida, I couldn't really find any place for vegetarian, but still stores sell veggie and vega stuff. I'm supposed to go in Alabama and Texas soon, I hope it's not too bad there for being VG! chef.gif
Anyway, people can't be as narrow-minded as some are in France!..
Vegetarianism is really catching on here, although resistance is still pretty strong in certain people. Veganism is still hard for people to grasp.

It is very regional. NYC and California are very vegetarian friendly. South East is the bible belt, extending across to the south/mid west. Many people here very much believe that God gave us animals to eat and they aren't at all like humans because they don't have eternal souls. However, even in regions there are differences between rural and urban areas. University cities like the research triangle in North Carolina are pretty veg friendly. Alabama is stereotypically pretty nonprogressive but I've never been so I don't want to speak badly about the state. Texas is a very large state with a lot of variance. Some areas are quite backwards, but Austin, the capitol, is actually listed as the number one vegan place to live on several vegan sites. I went there once and had the best vegan sausages ever. If you can swing by Austin while in Texas, do it. I hope you enjoy your trip to the States.
#1431 Old 12-20-2013, 08:27 AM
Veggie Regular

I was at a xmas potluck for work, going down the tables of food. Just as I reach the ceasar salad I had brought, the lady on the other side of the table from me goes to reach for my salad and the girl next to her elbows her and she immidiately puts down the tongs as though she remembered she didn't want any of the salad. She then realizes I'm standing across from her and abruptly asks me "so what IS the difference between vegetarian and vegan anyway?" I answer in the most simple, matter-of-fact way and before I even get to finish, she goes on "ok, yeah, ok, I just wanted to know, you know? I was just curious!". And scurries off.

She clearly wasn't interested in actually knowing the answer, and I know those two girls and I get the feeling they had talked amongst themselves ahead of time and decided they wouldn't try the vegan salad. Really, you should have seen the look of disgust on her face when she realized she almost took some of my salad.

Blobbenstein likes this.
#1432 Old 12-20-2013, 10:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Salad? Seriously? Of all the things to be upset that it's vegan, that's just ridiculous. I can almost (but not quite) understand reluctance to try fake meat or something, but SALAD???

--Fromper
juggle.gif
#1433 Old 12-20-2013, 10:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Well it was ceasar salad, right? Which usually has bacon and parmasan, and other forms of dairy and icky things... Maybe that's why she didn't want any? Lol, but that's true, eh? Salad of all things!

#1434 Old 12-20-2013, 12:03 PM

I was at an upscale American Grill restaurant with my family and grandparents, and on the four page menu, there were only two things I could have: fries, and maybe a salad. I asked for a "garden salad" or a "greens salad" I know that sometimes this isn't listed on the menu or is tough to find. The waiter, who seemed very knowledgeable, looked at me as though i had three heads. I clarified, saying that I would like a salad without meat or cheese on it if possible. He looked at me like I was from another planet, and said, "all of our salads have bacon on them".

Ummm........ I said, "yes, I understand, but can I have a salad, hold the bacon, hold the cheese please". He was getting a little flustered with me, and asked what i actually wanted on my salad. I told him that I wanted lettuce and veggies and hopefully some dressing. The waiter left with my order, obviously annoyed with me, and when the meals came back, the manager brought my salad out. 

I didn't like feeling as though I was throwing a wrench in it all, but I too was annoyed: there was almost nothing on the extensive menu that I could eat even with about eight different salads.... Is it that crazy to want a salad with just veggies?? Since when is bacon a requirement or an expectation on all salads? :huh: :wall: 

"To the beaten pig, I hear your screams; to the scolded chicken, I feel your pain; and to the stunned cow, I see your suffering. It is real to so many of us who value your life on earth as much as our own. We are no more important than you. We are so sorry that humans possess so little mercy for those whom they have the power to abuse. We will do everything we can to end your misery until the day we die. You are not alone."
#1435 Old 12-20-2013, 12:20 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeoneHere3 View Post

I was at an upscale American Grill restaurant with my family and grandparents, and on the four page menu, there were only two things I could have: fries, and maybe a salad. I asked for a "garden salad" or a "greens salad" I know that sometimes this isn't listed on the menu or is tough to find. The waiter, who seemed very knowledgeable, looked at me as though i had three heads. I clarified, saying that I would like a salad without meat or cheese on it if possible. He looked at me like I was from another planet, and said, "all of our salads have bacon on them".

Ummm........ I said, "yes, I understand, but can I have a salad, hold the bacon, hold the cheese please". He was getting a little flustered with me, and asked what i actually wanted on my salad. I told him that I wanted lettuce and veggies and hopefully some dressing. The waiter left with my order, obviously annoyed with me, and when the meals came back, the manager brought my salad out. 

I didn't like feeling as though I was throwing a wrench in it all, but I too was annoyed: there was almost nothing on the extensive menu that I could eat even with about eight different salads.... Is it that crazy to want a salad with just veggies?? Since when is bacon a requirement or an expectation on all salads? :huh: :wall: 

Some people shouldn't be serving food if they don't even seem to know that vegetarians exist........

"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy
#1436 Old 12-20-2013, 01:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Frustrating that it is, I guess if the restaurant doesn't want to provide dishes suitable for veg*ns, that is its right. Having an attitude like this is surely losing it money but again, that is its right.

#1437 Old 12-20-2013, 01:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I understand your frustration, I don't understand why it was such a big deal. A veggie salad with no bacon shouldn't be that hard to do.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#1438 Old 12-20-2013, 01:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by azerea_02 View Post

I was at a xmas potluck for work, going down the tables of food. Just as I reach the ceasar salad I had brought, the lady on the other side of the table from me goes to reach for my salad and the girl next to her elbows her and she immidiately puts down the tongs as though she remembered she didn't want any of the salad. She then realizes I'm standing across from her and abruptly asks me "so what IS the difference between vegetarian and vegan anyway?" I answer in the most simple, matter-of-fact way and before I even get to finish, she goes on "ok, yeah, ok, I just wanted to know, you know? I was just curious!". And scurries off.

She clearly wasn't interested in actually knowing the answer, and I know those two girls and I get the feeling they had talked amongst themselves ahead of time and decided they wouldn't try the vegan salad. Really, you should have seen the look of disgust on her face when she realized she almost took some of my salad.

Did you tell her the difference was etari (VegETARIan)? :p 

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#1439 Old 12-20-2013, 01:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purp View Post

Did you tell her the difference was etari (VegETARIan)? :p

:D haha! I wasn't quite that original with my answer.

Purp likes this.
#1440 Old 12-20-2013, 02:36 PM

Thanks a lot for these clever  informations... I hope I'll be able to make it to the US, but it all depends on the success of my fundraiser... 22 days left and it's really not done, even if it is still possible, I musn't loose hope.

And I hope I'll go to Austin to taste the sausages! :)

Tags
Vegan-Lifestyle , Vegetarian-Lifestyle , vegan-food

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page