Stupid Things Omnivores Say, Version 6.0 - Page 40 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 1957Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#1171 Old 11-15-2013, 08:55 AM
Veggie Regular
 
natty6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy85 View Post

I posted the new Gary Yourofsky speech - The Human Vegan: an ethical discussion and people laugh at me for being vegan, please watch the vid and if you disagree with anything he says please comment. I got the following reply:

I tried to watch the video but got bored after 2mins. I am off to eat my pheasant stew which I believe is the ethical thing to do because someone shot it and it shouldn't go to waste. In fact by doing this I have saved a cow.

I honestly cannot start to understand the utter stupidity of some people. I just replied I didn't read your whole post as I got bored after the first sentence. It's not even worth wasting breath on some people.
If he didn't even watch the video it is idiotic to comment on it. He doesn't know what he's talking about so why talk at all? I just watched the video. He shortened his 70 minute lecture to 40 minutes and sadly I have to say the lecture lost a lot because of it. It is still a great lecture but he didn't have as much time to make it convincing to omnivores.
Purp likes this.
natty6 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#1172 Old 11-15-2013, 05:24 PM
 
elviralynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 27
A friend of mine says I can't force my kids to be vegan. And I can't stop them from going to the zoo. "You don't want to be that kind of mom." Oh, you mean the one that teaches my children morals? Yeah we can't have that.
elviralynn is offline  
#1173 Old 11-15-2013, 05:53 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Tiger Lilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by elviralynn View Post

A friend of mine says I can't force my kids to be vegan. And I can't stop them from going to the zoo. "You don't want to be that kind of mom." Oh, you mean the one that teaches my children morals? Yeah we can't have that.


Wait....so you're going to get your kids to eat their vegetables, even if they don't want to?

I thought that's what all parents were meant to do!
 

Tiger Lilly is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#1174 Old 11-15-2013, 07:40 PM
Super Moderator
 
Werewolf Girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 16,664
Quote:
Originally Posted by elviralynn View Post

A friend of mine says I can't force my kids to be vegan. And I can't stop them from going to the zoo. "You don't want to be that kind of mom." Oh, you mean the one that teaches my children morals? Yeah we can't have that.

That's so silly. If parents didn't 'force' their kids to eat healthy food and learn how to be ethical people and live in society we'd all be living in our own filth eating nothing but pop tarts. tongue3.gif
Purp likes this.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
Werewolf Girl is offline  
#1175 Old 11-15-2013, 07:50 PM
Veggie Regular
 
beanspud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: FL
Posts: 1,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

That's so silly. If parents didn't 'force' their kids to eat healthy food and learn how to be ethical people and live in society we'd all be living in our own filth eating nothing but pop tarts. tongue3.gif
Sadly, it's some peoples version of the American Dream. Eat delicious crap, step on anyone to get ahead, shun society for rugged individualism, and not feeling any pressure to keep any appearance of order or cleanliness.
beanspud is offline  
#1176 Old 11-15-2013, 09:16 PM
Veggie Regular
 
kamizushi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Montreal
Posts: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanspud View Post


Sadly, it's some peoples version of the American Dream. Eat delicious crap, step on anyone to get ahead, shun society for rugged individualism, and not feeling any pressure to keep any appearance of order or cleanliness.

 

There are way to many people proud to call themselves "egoist", often arguing that altruism is irrational.

kamizushi is offline  
#1177 Old 11-16-2013, 12:12 AM
Veggie Regular
 
beanspud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: FL
Posts: 1,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamizushi View Post

There are way to many people proud to call themselves "egoist", often arguing that altruism is irrational.
What many people who espouse egoist ideology fail to comprehend is the suffering their own behavior may bring about upon others. The egoist may enjoy a state to live in such a way that the subject does not feel oppressed, but their behavior may be oppressive towards others unwittingly. A parent raising their child to commodity animals, and adopt an unhealthy diet is doing some degree of harm although it might be the subjects motus operandi. Ultimately we should seek to refrain from hurting the ones we love, expand our ability to love others, and further develop an idea of what love is. We can both prosper and be compassionate.
elviralynn likes this.
beanspud is offline  
#1178 Old 11-16-2013, 02:23 AM
 
elviralynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 27
My dad:

"She's really pale. She must be a vegetarian."

I just....sigh.
elviralynn is offline  
#1179 Old 11-16-2013, 11:03 AM
Super Moderator
 
danakscully64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 34,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by elviralynn View Post

My dad:

"She's really pale. She must be a vegetarian."

I just....sigh.

 

Story of my life. :lol:

 

 

http://www.buzzfeed.com/erinlarosa/things-only-pale-people-will-understand

veggiefee likes this.
danakscully64 is offline  
#1180 Old 11-16-2013, 05:34 PM
 
La Grenouille's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Québec
Posts: 504
On kids, again. When I told my mother I had decided to become a vegan, she litteraly screamed: “Oh! No! Your're not going to do THAT to the kids!?!”
Purp likes this.

Isabelle, aka La Grenouille
My blog (in French): L’herbivore — http://lherbivore.ca
La Grenouille is offline  
#1181 Old 11-16-2013, 09:14 PM
Veggie Regular
 
kamizushi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Montreal
Posts: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanspud View Post


What many people who espouse egoist ideology fail to comprehend is the suffering their own behavior may bring about upon others. The egoist may enjoy a state to live in such a way that the subject does not feel oppressed, but their behavior may be oppressive towards others unwittingly. A parent raising their child to commodity animals, and adopt an unhealthy diet is doing some degree of harm although it might be the subjects motus operandi. Ultimately we should seek to refrain from hurting the ones we love, expand our ability to love others, and further develop an idea of what love is. We can both prosper and be compassionate.

 

By definition, egoists don't care about harming others. 

 

At a very deep philosophical level, one unsolved problem that the so-called "ethical egoists" face is the Theseus's paradox. Lets say you have a wood ship and you decide to replace every parts of the ship one by one for another, is it still the same ship? If you one answers yes, then I could ask why since virtually every atoms of the human body gets replace with time, why wouldn't the same principle apply to humans.

 

This should be important for "ethical egoism" since if a person 20 years in the future can not completely be considered the same person as now, then any argument presented in favor of "ethical egoism" would in fact only support shortsighted pleasure seeking, which is one of the main things that egoist philosophers have been trying to distance themselves from.

 

Now of course, for all of this to matter, you need people who actually care about epistemology. This kind of argument will never work on those who don't really care to test their premises.

kamizushi is offline  
#1182 Old 11-16-2013, 10:05 PM
 
elviralynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 27
My dad and I got in a huge argument at dinner when I refused to eat T-bone steak. He says I will turn yellow and my brain will deteriorate if I don't eat meat. Every rebuttal I had was not heard. He asked me where I get my info from. I said, "Books written by doctors." I told him humans aren't carnivores, and I explained about our teeth that resemble other herbivores. "You're wrong! You're wrong!" I asked him if he wanted me to have heart disease someday. He said I probably won't even live past 39 without meat.

He then praised my cousin, who was happily gnawing on the steak. It just broke my heart, the ignorance of it all. I silently apologized to the cows that had to die.
Purp likes this.
elviralynn is offline  
#1183 Old 11-16-2013, 11:10 PM
Veggie Regular
 
beanspud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: FL
Posts: 1,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by elviralynn View Post

My dad and I got in a huge argument at dinner when I refused to eat T-bone steak. He says I will turn yellow and my brain will deteriorate if I don't eat meat. Every rebuttal I had was not heard. He asked me where I get my info from. I said, "Books written by doctors." I told him humans aren't carnivores, and I explained about our teeth that resemble other herbivores. "You're wrong! You're wrong!" I asked him if he wanted me to have heart disease someday. He said I probably won't even live past 39 without meat.

He then praised my cousin, who was happily gnawing on the steak. It just broke my heart, the ignorance of it all. I silently apologized to the cows that had to die.
Your father's acting a bit silly. If he trusts the government, here's one of many supportive links out there.
http://www.choosemyplate.gov/healthy-eating-tips/tips-for-vegetarian.html
beanspud is offline  
#1184 Old 11-17-2013, 12:13 AM
 
ponyboy85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 942
Turn yellow? Live past 39 days?

Is he one of these folks that thinks soya products turn men gay?
Purp likes this.
ponyboy85 is offline  
#1185 Old 11-17-2013, 01:46 AM
Veggie Regular
 
beanspud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: FL
Posts: 1,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy85 View Post

Turn yellow? Live past 39 days?

Is he one of these folks that thinks soya products turn men gay?
Yes, this https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/jaundice from the liver destroying effects of veganism is a real downer. Since my liver can't make any cholesterol anymore, my brain is rotting and will die before age 40. On the bright side, the soya has turned me gay. Downside of that is I now have DD size breasts, and look like a woman. This is what I get for obeying our reptilian overlords... Dang lock ness monster.
Purp and Brain Floss like this.
beanspud is offline  
#1186 Old 11-17-2013, 06:45 AM
 
elviralynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanspud View Post

Yes, this jaundice from the liver destroying effects of veganism is a real downer. Since my liver can't make any cholesterol anymore, my brain is rotting and will die before age 40. On the bright side, the soya has turned me gay. Downside of that is I now have DD size breasts, and look like a woman. This is what I get for obeying our reptilian overlords... Dang lock ness monster.

Haha I don't think he knows anything about soy. Let's keep it that way.

He's an old fashioned man--his father was a butcher. Anything out of the ordinary is "wrong" to him. He eventually apologized and said he wouldn't comment on it anymore, but I'm not sure if I'm buying it. I suspect this will be a neverending battle.

My mom is no help, either. She says "there is something in the meat that we need to survive."
elviralynn is offline  
#1187 Old 11-17-2013, 09:52 AM
Super Moderator
 
danakscully64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 34,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by elviralynn View Post

My dad and I got in a huge argument at dinner when I refused to eat T-bone steak. He says I will turn yellow and my brain will deteriorate if I don't eat meat. Every rebuttal I had was not heard. He asked me where I get my info from. I said, "Books written by doctors." I told him humans aren't carnivores, and I explained about our teeth that resemble other herbivores. "You're wrong! You're wrong!" I asked him if he wanted me to have heart disease someday. He said I probably won't even live past 39 without meat.

He then praised my cousin, who was happily gnawing on the steak. It just broke my heart, the ignorance of it all. I silently apologized to the cows that had to die.

 

Braan.... detur-ating... need..... meat!!!

 

 

:p On average, vegetarians have higher IQ's. Take that, Dad!

danakscully64 is offline  
#1188 Old 11-17-2013, 10:55 AM
Sheep in Wolf's Clothing
 
Brain Floss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Swingin' up and down in the coconut trees
Posts: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by elviralynn View Post

My dad and I got in a huge argument at dinner when I refused to eat T-bone steak. He says I will turn yellow and my brain will deteriorate if I don't eat meat. Every rebuttal I had was not heard. He asked me where I get my info from. I said, "Books written by doctors." I told him humans aren't carnivores, and I explained about our teeth that resemble other herbivores. "You're wrong! You're wrong!" I asked him if he wanted me to have heart disease someday. He said I probably won't even live past 39 without meat.

He then praised my cousin, who was happily gnawing on the steak. It just broke my heart, the ignorance of it all. I silently apologized to the cows that had to die.

Hey elvira-sorry about the frustration with your dad. Just keep doing your thing so you can prove him wrong. :)

 

On a related note, I had a conversation with my dad at a Vietnamese restaurant last night. This restaurant served frog's legs. My dad was eating chicken pho (Vietnamese soup) at the time

 

Dad: "I think its cruel that they use frog's legs in one of the dishes."

Me: "How is it any less cruel than eating any other part of the animal?" (as I'm watching him eat his chicken pho)

Dad: "Because I think they rip the legs off without bothering to kill the frog first."

Me: *thinking of all the terrible slaughterhouse videos I've seen but I didn't want to bring it up...you know the ones* 

Dad: "I just figure if it tastes good, then it justifies the animal's death."

Me: "Don't you think that's wrong?"

Dad: "Yes."

Me: ??????????????

 

Love my dad, but sometimes the things that come out of his mouth baffle me. Luckily he really could care less if I didn't eat meat or dairy or any other animal products and he's chill about my choices. So I try not to get mad at him, only give him facts or make him think a bit. You can't make people do anything, all you can be is an example.

Brain Floss is offline  
#1189 Old 11-17-2013, 01:02 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Purp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 6,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by elviralynn View Post


Haha I don't think he knows anything about soy. Let's keep it that way.

He's an old fashioned man--his father was a butcher. Anything out of the ordinary is "wrong" to him. He eventually apologized and said he wouldn't comment on it anymore, but I'm not sure if I'm buying it. I suspect this will be a neverending battle.

My mom is no help, either. She says "there is something in the meat that we need to survive."

Ask your mom what is in meat that you need to survive that you cannot get from plants.

Brain Floss likes this.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
Purp is offline  
#1190 Old 11-17-2013, 03:20 PM
Veggie Regular
 
kamizushi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Montreal
Posts: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

 

 

:p On average, vegetarians have higher IQ's. Take that, Dad!

Let's not confuse correlation and causation thought. There are quite a few ways that vegetarianism could correlate with higher IQ other than direct causality.

 

For example, there was a study where a scientist would put a chocolate in front of a kid, leave the room and promise that if he/she doesn't eat it now, he/she would get two instead latter. After they became older, researchers found that those who had managed to resist their urge had a much higher IQ. I know there are other studies showing the same. Apparently, better urge control in children correlate with future IQ even better than current IQ. For obvious reasons, vegetarianism should also be expected to correlate with better urge control, so it seams plausible that vegetarianism and higher IQ correlate not because one leads to the other but rather because better urge control promotes both.

kamizushi is offline  
#1191 Old 11-18-2013, 09:58 AM
 
SomeoneHere3's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Earth
Posts: 126

Most of my coworkers are fantastic about my veganism, but there was a new guy who came in like he owned the place, a real loud-mouth type and he found out I was vegan:

 

him: you're VEGAN?? What do you eat??

me: well, lots of things actually. Fruits, veggies, grains, lentils---

him: I bet you eat grass!

me: well actually, grass and cardboard is one of my favorite meals >_>

him: Ewww, vegan! I could NEVER go without steak! Mmmmm I love steak! and bac---

me: let's make a deal. I won't make fun of your dietary choices, and you don't make fun of mine. 

 

That shut him up quick. Everyone was giggling at how stupid he sounded :D 

Purp and AlexandraBee like this.

"To the beaten pig, I hear your screams; to the scolded chicken, I feel your pain; and to the stunned cow, I see your suffering. It is real to so many of us who value your life on earth as much as our own. We are no more important than you. We are so sorry that humans possess so little mercy for those whom they have the power to abuse. We will do everything we can to end your misery until the day we die. You are not alone."
SomeoneHere3 is offline  
#1192 Old 11-18-2013, 10:33 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Jasminedesi16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: philadelphia
Posts: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeoneHere3 View Post
 

Most of my coworkers are fantastic about my veganism, but there was a new guy who came in like he owned the place, a real loud-mouth type and he found out I was vegan:

 

him: you're VEGAN?? What do you eat??

me: well, lots of things actually. Fruits, veggies, grains, lentils---

him: I bet you eat grass!

me: well actually, grass and cardboard is one of my favorite meals >_>

him: Ewww, vegan! I could NEVER go without steak! Mmmmm I love steak! and bac---

me: let's make a deal. I won't make fun of your dietary choices, and you don't make fun of mine.

 

That shut him up quick. Everyone was giggling at how stupid he sounded :D

 

Ugh some people are so rude.

 

This reminds me Saturday   I was at the king of Prussia mall and I was looking at calendars. There was this adorable calendar which had cute pictures of baby pigs. I was looking at it and I commented to my mom how cute it was, and this guy that was standing next to me (I didn't even know him) looks at me and said really loud, "Look at all those yummy ham sandwiches!"

Purp likes this.
Jasminedesi16 is offline  
#1193 Old 11-18-2013, 10:40 AM
Veggie Regular
 
kamizushi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Montreal
Posts: 595

^ Nah that just because omnis have no idea how good cardboard and grass tastes or they would all be vegans. :p

Purp, elsie182 and Jasminedesi16 like this.
kamizushi is offline  
#1194 Old 11-18-2013, 11:43 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Jasminedesi16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: philadelphia
Posts: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamizushi View Post
 

^ Nah that just because omnis have no idea how good cardboard and grass tastes or they would all be vegans. :p

Haha. Sorry this is a little off topic, but since I started going vegetarian, I think I actually prefer the taste to vegan foods than to meat. Also I remember when I used to have to cook meat when I had guests over or something and I remembered just being so grossed out by it. I hated the smell and everything and it never looked appetizing to me. But seriously  I think maybe if more people gave vegan food a chance they would actually like it.

Jasminedesi16 is offline  
#1195 Old 11-18-2013, 12:44 PM
Super Moderator
 
danakscully64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 34,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamizushi View Post
 

Let's not confuse correlation and causation thought. There are quite a few ways that vegetarianism could correlate with higher IQ other than direct causality.

 

For example, there was a study where a scientist would put a chocolate in front of a kid, leave the room and promise that if he/she doesn't eat it now, he/she would get two instead latter. After they became older, researchers found that those who had managed to resist their urge had a much higher IQ. I know there are other studies showing the same. Apparently, better urge control in children correlate with future IQ even better than current IQ. For obvious reasons, vegetarianism should also be expected to correlate with better urge control, so it seams plausible that vegetarianism and higher IQ correlate not because one leads to the other but rather because better urge control promotes both.

 

I'm saying that smart people are more likely to choose vegetarianism. For a reason.

danakscully64 is offline  
#1196 Old 11-18-2013, 12:55 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Purp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 6,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasminedesi16 View Post
 

 

Ugh some people are so rude.

 

This reminds me Saturday   I was at the king of Prussia mall and I was looking at calendars. There was this adorable calendar which had cute pictures of baby pigs. I was looking at it and I commented to my mom how cute it was, and this guy that was standing next to me (I didn't even know him) looks at me and said really loud, "Look at all those yummy ham sandwiches!"

You should've looked him in the eye and said, "It's like looking into a mirror, isn't it?"

Jasminedesi16 likes this.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
Purp is offline  
#1197 Old 11-18-2013, 01:10 PM
Veggie Regular
 
kamizushi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Montreal
Posts: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post
 

 

I'm saying that smart people are more likely to choose vegetarianism. For a reason.

It's not like it takes a genius to understand why we should be vegetarian. You could explain it to a 5 years old and he/she would understand. But if a very smart person doesn't think he/she would be able to live without her/his bacon, then he/she will do her/his best to find excuses, even if they are very dumb reasons. The thing with the IQ test is that it doesn't test people's tendency to be willfully idiotic nor does it test critical thought. 

 

No, I really do think that urge control is a more plausible explanation for the correlation between high IQ and vegetarianism.

kamizushi is offline  
#1198 Old 11-18-2013, 05:38 PM
 
SomeoneHere3's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Earth
Posts: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamizushi View Post
 

^ Nah that just because omnis have no idea how good cardboard and grass tastes or they would all be vegans. :p

we must have the secret recipe :p

Purp likes this.

"To the beaten pig, I hear your screams; to the scolded chicken, I feel your pain; and to the stunned cow, I see your suffering. It is real to so many of us who value your life on earth as much as our own. We are no more important than you. We are so sorry that humans possess so little mercy for those whom they have the power to abuse. We will do everything we can to end your misery until the day we die. You are not alone."
SomeoneHere3 is offline  
#1199 Old 11-18-2013, 08:10 PM
Veggie Regular
 
kamizushi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Montreal
Posts: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeoneHere3 View Post
 

we must have the secret recipe :p

Step 1: Cut cardboard in two.

Step 2: Put grass in between.

Step 3: Throw everything in the garbage bin.

Step 4: PEANUT BUTTER JELLY TIME!!!

Purp and AlexandraBee like this.
kamizushi is offline  
#1200 Old 11-18-2013, 10:55 PM
Veggie Regular
 
beanspud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: FL
Posts: 1,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamizushi View Post

Step 1: Cut cardboard in two.
Step 2: Put grass in between.
Step 3: Throw everything in the garbage bin.
Step 4: PEANUT BUTTER JELLY TIME!!!
wink3.gif you forgot to wet the cardboard with tears.
Purp likes this.
beanspud is offline  
Reply

Tags
Vegan-Lifestyle , Vegetarian-Lifestyle , vegan-food

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off