Stupid Things Omnivores Say, Version 6.0 - Page 37 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 1957Likes

#1081 Old 11-03-2013, 01:14 AM

Do you have a source that states meat eaters tend to be more violent?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#1082 Old 11-03-2013, 07:23 AM
Banned

'T'his may be contrasted with the average consumption of meat in the United States, which, by 2005, included 62.4 lb (28.3 kg) of beef, 46.5 lb (21.1 kg) of pork, and 73.6 lb (33.4 kg) of poultry per person per year.''

:eek:

The average person eats more than my bodyweight in meat every year?!  Wow.

#1083 Old 11-03-2013, 11:14 AM
Sheep in Wolf's Clothing

"Well we've been eating meat for thousands of years, why should we stop now?"

Just because things "have always been done this way" doesn't mean it is right or appropriate for the present circumstances...:wall:

Werewolf Girl likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#1084 Old 11-03-2013, 12:32 PM
Veggie Regular

My ex was cool with me being vegetarian, but once, I guess he was trying to be funny and came up with the typical "God put animals on this earth to be eaten". Needless to say he didn't try to make anymore jokes about vegetarianism to me after how I angry I got.

Also, important to note that this was just a couple days after he said he was turning vegetarian for me and because he felt bad, and gave up on the idea the very next day with the excuse that once a year he spends a week with some of his other family and they're not going to cook two meals. I guess him making that joke after that was what helped make me angry over it.

The "best" part was him suddenly being concerned with iron and other nutrients. This coming from a guy who pretty much relies/relied on fast food and frozen processed foods for his meals (although he was eating a bit healthier lately).

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

#1085 Old 11-03-2013, 03:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlaFlo View Post

Today I was hanging out with a friend and she suggested having dinner at McDonnald's. I told her I was a vegetarian. In a very serious tone, she looked at me and said: 'Really?? Where do you get your vitamins????!'. She didn't believe me when I told her that fruits and veggies contain more vitamins than meat.

Isn't it hilarious and ridiculous at the same time when people who often eat junk (not saying your friend eats it often; I have no idea if she does or not) are concerned with where vegetarians get their nutrients?

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

#1086 Old 11-03-2013, 06:52 PM

Someone asked me today how mad I would be if they hypothetically snuck meat into my food because they were worried about my protein. sad.gif
#1087 Old 11-03-2013, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesleepingyeti View Post

Someone asked me today how mad I would be if they hypothetically snuck meat into my food because they were worried about my protein. sad.gif

I would respond with "Well, hypothetically, I would…" and then be really creepy and sinister, like "I would cut you while you're sleeping and feed you to your children over the next week because I'm worried about their protein." or "I would host a BBQ and make sure you get some hot dogs… literally."

Purp likes this.
#1088 Old 11-03-2013, 09:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Here's a corker. I check the book, "The Complete Book of VEGAN COOKING" out of the library, thinking it was about...Vegan cooking. On the page before the contents, there are some notes. The last one? "Medium (US large) eggs are used unless otherwise stated." I'm no expert in vegan cooking, but eggs aren't vegan.:what:

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#1089 Old 11-03-2013, 09:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

The fact they think you'd be mad should, right there, be a signal that it's probably not a nice thing to do...

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#1090 Old 11-03-2013, 11:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imriela View Post

I would respond with "Well, hypothetically, I would…" and then be really creepy and sinister, like "I would cut you while you're sleeping and feed you to your children over the next week because I'm worried about their protein." or "I would host a BBQ and make sure you get some hot dogs… literally."

Or, "I would cut some parts of your body and feed them to your dogs because I'm worried about THEIR protein." :) 

Purp likes this.
#1091 Old 11-04-2013, 12:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Lady: Did you want some cake?
Me: Oh, thank you, but no....It has egg in it and I don't eat eggs.

Lady: You're allergic?

Me: No, I'm a lacto-vegetarian.

Lady: I was a vegetarian for a while, but then I got pregnant... And the cravings were too much.

Me: Yeah, I've heard that can be a thing....

Lady: But you can be so healthy as a vegetarian, can't you?

Me: Yeah, like with anything. There's junk foods whether you eat meat or not.

Lady: I suppose.... I wasn't really a vegetarian. I mean, I didn't eat red meat. What do you call someone who doesn't eat red meat, but still eats all the other meats?

Me: Not a vegetarian.

#1092 Old 11-04-2013, 12:21 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Lilly View Post

Lady: Did you want some cake?

Me: Oh, thank you, but no....It has egg in it and I don't eat eggs.
Lady: You're allergic?
Me: No, I'm a lacto-vegetarian.
Lady: I was a vegetarian for a while, but then I got pregnant... And the cravings were too much.
Me: Yeah, I've heard that can be a thing....
Lady: But you can be so healthy as a vegetarian, can't you?
Me: Yeah, like with anything. There's junk foods whether you eat meat or not.
Lady: I suppose.... I wasn't really a vegetarian. I mean, I didn't eat red meat. What do you call someone who doesn't eat red meat, but still eats all the other meats?
Me: Not a vegetarian.

Lacto-ovo-pesca-pollo-tarian? That is a mouthful. It would be much easier to say they did not eat pork or cows. Calling myself a vegetarian never crossed my mind when I abstained from only red meat. I never got any flack for it over a three year period, most people considered it a healthy move. I was jokingly referred to as a chikitarian once however.
#1093 Old 11-04-2013, 03:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanspud View Post

Lacto-ovo-pesca-pollo-tarian? That is a mouthful. It would be much easier to say they did not eat pork or cows. Calling myself a vegetarian never crossed my mind when I abstained from only red meat. I never got any flack for it over a three year period, most people considered it a healthy move. I was jokingly referred to as a chikitarian once however.

Seriously, it happens EVERY time I meet another 'vegetarian'.

I get all excited....Then they say they eat chicken or fish. I don't throw things at them, but I really want to.

Werewolf Girl and Purp like this.
#1094 Old 11-04-2013, 04:12 AM
Beginner

I was once told about an old work mates friends who were apparently vegan. He then said that they understood about how difficult it could be to eat out as a vegan so when these vegans went out they would eat cheese and fish.

I said they weren't vegan.

#1095 Old 11-04-2013, 09:28 AM
Veggie Regular

This happens a lot, my aunt talks all day about how she is a Vegetarian and makes sure everyone knows she is but she everytime we go out she orders fish! Even when there are tons of veggie items on a menu. I have tried to tell her that eating fish is not considered vegetarian and she told me her doctor told her she needed to eat fish.

#1096 Old 11-04-2013, 10:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Proper answer:
"Let's just say such a hypothetical person should probably worry a little bit less about my health and a little bit more about their own."

Purp likes this.
#1097 Old 11-04-2013, 10:44 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Lilly View Post

Seriously, it happens EVERY time I meet another 'vegetarian'.

I get all excited....Then they say they eat chicken or fish. I don't throw things at them, but I really want to.

Yeah, that seems to happen a lot but I have met a few real vegetarians. The other day I met a man who was raised vegetarian, even his grandparents had been vegetarian. At Thanksgiving his grandmother would make a homemade version of a tofurkey using wheat gluten, peanut butter and seasonings.
#1098 Old 11-04-2013, 11:53 AM

Mlee: I would never presume to try to convince my dad of eating a vegan diet! Even eating less meat is not an option for him (he doesn’t eat much, he says, and, then, when asked: “Well, maybe two or three times a day, not much, you know...”) He can be an old fart.
Werewolf Girl and krispex22 like this.

Isabelle, aka La Grenouille
My blog (in French): L’herbivore — http://lherbivore.ca
#1099 Old 11-04-2013, 03:12 PM
Veggie Regular

so this is more of something stupid advertisers say. i was browsing for a new pair of boots and i always look to see if there animal friendly. i found a pair i liked and i read the description

"This ankle-high bootie is lined with a warm and fuzzy, yet animal-friendly faux-fur lining. The exterior is crafted out of a stylish black suede that will go with everything."

so the inside is animal friendly but not the outside.... do people just not like the feeling of death touching there skin? wtf:rolleyes:

Werewolf Girl and kamizushi like this.
#1100 Old 11-04-2013, 06:00 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by krispex22 View Post

so this is more of something stupid advertisers say. i was browsing for a new pair of boots and i always look to see if there animal friendly. i found a pair i liked and i read the description
"This ankle-high bootie is lined with a warm and fuzzy, yet animal-friendly faux-fur lining. The exterior is crafted out of a stylish black suede that will go with everything."

so the inside is animal friendly but not the outside.... do people just not like the feeling of death touching there skin? wtf:rolleyes:

Didn't you know? Farm animals aren't "real" animals compared to the cute fuzzy ones people use to make fur coats. rolleyes.gif
PR_Deltoid and Brain Floss like this.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#1101 Old 11-05-2013, 02:31 AM

I had this conversation with my wife yesterday. Why is fur frowned upon by the majority of society but leather is used by pretty much everyone.

The only reasonable suggestion we could come up with is that animals used for fur are only killed for fur where as leather is perceived as ok because the rest of the animal is used.

However, it gives me hope because for centuries fur has always been used by people from all walks of life but now it is pretty much condemned. As science is improved and veganism becomes more mainstream perhaps leather will go the same way?
#1102 Old 11-05-2013, 03:40 AM

I learned that‘s not even true, even though most people believe it. Cows marched through Pakistan without being fed (almost) arrive at destination so emaciated their body is useless. No keat to be had there. And their dried up skin is perfect for shoes... thanks to their famine. :-(

#1103 Old 11-05-2013, 03:46 AM

That's what I mean, it's people's perceptions that are skewed which is why it is important to keep reminding them!
#1104 Old 11-05-2013, 04:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Grenouille View Post

I learned that‘s not even true, even though most people believe it. Cows marched through Pakistan without being fed (almost) arrive at destination so emaciated their body is useless. No keat to be had there. And their dried up skin is perfect for shoes... thanks to their famine. :-(

This might be more like an exception than the rule. Pakistan isn't among the top 10 countries exporting leather.

Interestingly, according to PETA, the leather people buy isn't always cow based and sometime comes from cats and dogs raised for food in China. Now that's an fun conversation to have with your meat eating friends.

Purp likes this.
#1105 Old 11-05-2013, 06:05 AM

Aaaaaaargh!

I can just see their faces!
Purp likes this.

#1106 Old 11-05-2013, 06:37 AM
Veggie Regular

"Humans are supposed to eat animals. We're at the top of the food chain, you know."

:stinkeye:

#1107 Old 11-05-2013, 06:38 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamizushi View Post

This might be more like an exception than the rule. Pakistan isn't among the top 10 countries exporting leather.

Interestingly, according to PETA, the leather people buy isn't always cow based and sometime comes from cats and dogs raised for food in China. Now that's an fun conversation to have with your meat eating friends.

WHAT?!

#1108 Old 11-05-2013, 07:30 AM

According to PETA Pokemon should be banned!
#1109 Old 11-05-2013, 07:40 AM
Veggie Regular

That seems like an overreaction to me... Why would they want to do that?

#1110 Old 11-05-2013, 08:55 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy85 View Post

According to PETA Pokemon should be banned!

Why? what's wrong with Pokemon?

Tags
Vegan-Lifestyle , Vegetarian-Lifestyle , vegan-food

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page