Stupid Things Omnivores Say, Version 6.0 - Page 35 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 1957Likes

#1021 Old 10-18-2013, 02:55 AM
Lifelong vegetarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imriela View Post

Sounds about right for some people. *sigh*

I tell them to eat all the daily leftovers of the supermarket.

My usual answer: I have never heard a convincing reason to eat meat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#1022 Old 10-18-2013, 07:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Yesterday I let my reasons for being vegan known to a meddling, controlling, hypocritical fam member... her reply: "Don't you think that's a little extreme?" Wow.
#1023 Old 10-18-2013, 08:01 AM
Veggie Regular

This happened to my bf while at work. He overheard someone talking about how to humanely kill a cow, because, you know, he "used to work on a farm".  ...So he knows the secret of how to kill a living being without any violence. Death by overload of hugs and kisses maybe??! :P

Werewolf Girl and Purp like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#1024 Old 10-18-2013, 03:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Humane slaughter is one of the saddest oxymorons.
Werewolf Girl, Purp, Huffy and 2 others like this.
#1025 Old 10-18-2013, 04:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Well to be fair there are definitely ways to kill animals that are more cruel than others, but I doubt that the animal farming industry as a whole really discriminates between them. It's all about making everything as efficient as possible so that they can have a larger margin of profit. If they gave a damn about animal welfare they would be growing carrots.

Purp likes this.
#1026 Old 10-18-2013, 05:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamizushi View Post

Well to be fair there are definitely ways to kill animals that are more cruel than others, but I doubt that the animal farming industry as a whole really discriminates between them. It's all about making everything as efficient as possible so that they can have a larger margin of profit. If they gave a damn about animal welfare they would be growing carrots.
I agree. I just don't see how animals as a source of profit can ever work out well. In most cases what is good financially will always win over what is good for the animals. Cutting corners with the animals for more profit is just too tempting. Efficiency wins.
Purp likes this.
#1027 Old 10-20-2013, 03:13 PM
Veggie Regular

On talking about Jane Valez-Mitchell's upcoming piece, "Animals in factory farms have it really well. The workers wear hazmat suits and make sure no germs get near the animals. The places are kept very clean to prevent the animals from getting sick. The same can't be said for most humans." I had to disagree. Later I was told I would get to try some homemade ravioli made from 'real meat' purchased at Whole Foods. I told him that wouldn't be necessary.
#1028 Old 10-20-2013, 05:15 PM

Friend:  I bought special marshmallows for you to make sure they were vegetarian.

Me:  That's so sweet.  <checks package>  ...I think this has fish gelatin in it. 

Friend:  uh huh, but I googled it.  It just has the bones, not meat. 

I give her credit for going out of her way to try to find something for me. :)

#1029 Old 10-20-2013, 05:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyme View Post

Friend:  I bought special marshmallows for you to make sure they were vegetarian.

Me:  That's so sweet.  <checks package>  ...I think this has fish gelatin in it. 

Friend:  uh huh, but I googled it.  It just has the bones, not meat. 

I give her credit for going out of her way to try to find something for me. :)

That is really cute.

I mean, terrible for the fish. (I didn't even KNOW there was such a thing as 'fish gelatin'! WHAT THE FRICK?!). But very cute of your friend.

There are some vego marshmallows out there. Maybe you should buy them and you BOTH can eat them?

Purp likes this.
#1030 Old 10-20-2013, 05:39 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Fish gelatin is used in kosher marshmallows.

The man I've been seeing lately and I went out to dinner last night.

He ordered a vegan BLAT and a beer, I got the vegan jambalaya and a banana almond milk shake. The waitress asked if were vegan, he said yes and I nodded. She said she tried to be vegetarian once but she lost density in her bones. My date has a PhD in ornithology and a MS in biology. He looked at her for the longest time before asking her if anyone really believes that excuse. She said no, but it's true. Later she comes back to check on us and tells him that being a vegetarian is simply impractical in the long term and that it doesn't do anything anyway so why bother. He replied, do you really believe that?

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#1031 Old 10-20-2013, 11:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post

Fish gelatin is used in kosher marshmallows.

The man I've been seeing lately and I went out to dinner last night.

He ordered a vegan BLAT and a beer, I got the vegan jambalaya and a banana almond milk shake. The waitress asked if were vegan, he said yes and I nodded. She said she tried to be vegetarian once but she lost density in her bones. My date has a PhD in ornithology and a MS in biology. He looked at her for the longest time before asking her if anyone really believes that excuse. She said no, but it's true. Later she comes back to check on us and tells him that being a vegetarian is simply impractical in the long term and that it doesn't do anything anyway so why bother. He replied, do you really believe that?

Wow, the things I learn in a day!

Your waitress obviously wanted to hear from you that "It's okay" that she's no longer vegetarian. She wanted your approval. I hope she understands, or that someone points out to her, that you don't just get given a free pass just because you want one.

And.....a date, eh? :shifty:

#1032 Old 10-20-2013, 11:51 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Lilly View Post

Wow, the things I learn in a day!

Your waitress obviously wanted to hear from you that "It's okay" that she's no longer vegetarian. She wanted your approval. I hope she understands, or that someone points out to her, that you don't just get given a free pass just because you want one.

And.....a date, eh? sneaky.gif

She did want approval for quitting! It's funny to think about it that she needed total strangers to validate her choice.

And yeeees. The most recent in seeeveral dates. *blush*

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#1033 Old 10-21-2013, 12:51 AM
Super Moderator

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 90

I don't even.... What? inquisitive.gif
Purp likes this.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#1034 Old 10-21-2013, 01:18 AM

Real men laugh at quiche!?!?

Quiche is equally disgusting than a burger or a steak anyway, cold omelette with a bit of pastry? Disgusting.

Would love to get in a boxing ring with who ever wrote this sign, if that's how they measure manliness then surely boxing is manly and I would therefore smash their teeth in and make them watch me eat a kale salad afterwards.

NB I don't think that would make me anymore manly but I always find it funny when people go on about being manly and caring about animals is 'gay' then they find out I box.
Purp and erika20 like this.
#1035 Old 10-21-2013, 03:38 AM

There should be an ad that says 'real men laugh at people who eat cooked meat'.
Werewolf Girl, Purp and Opolitlo like this.

#1036 Old 10-21-2013, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blobbenstein View Post

There should be an ad that says 'real men laugh at people who eat cooked meat'.

Or

"Real men laugh at men who need a blood sacrifice"

-North
#1037 Old 10-21-2013, 03:51 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalicotsRevenge View Post

Or

"Real men laugh at men who need a blood sacrifice"

laugh.gif
Purp likes this.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#1038 Old 10-21-2013, 04:57 PM

Went out for pizza tonight, took vegan cheese, asked for all veggie toppings. Got presented with a pizza covered in my lovely vegan cheese, my veggie toppings. And ham. 

Waiter, trying to find me something else to eat: ...do you eat regular cheese? How about a dessert (all ice-creams)?

Yeah, he was trying to be helpful. But come ON. 

I refused to eat potato for dinner AGAIN so my friend got his to go and we left.

(Don't worry, my pizza went to an open minded friend who eats meat but also enjoys vegan cheese.)

But man, that would have been so nice.

Werewolf Girl and Shadewood like this.
#1039 Old 10-21-2013, 09:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath View Post

Went out for pizza tonight, took vegan cheese, asked for all veggie toppings. Got presented with a pizza covered in my lovely vegan cheese, my veggie toppings. And ham. 

Waiter, trying to find me something else to eat: ...do you eat regular cheese? How about a dessert (all ice-creams)?

I refused to eat potato for dinner AGAIN so my friend got his to go and we left.

(Don't worry, my pizza went to an open minded friend who eats meat but also enjoys vegan cheese.)

I certainly hope you received some sort of compensation for the money lost on the vegan cheese and the waste of your precious time! :-/

Aristede:book: 

"Now listen, I know you've got to think about your image, 'cause image is important to you, because of course your friends are gonna dictate your actions through the rest of your lives, and I wouldn't want you to step away from them and become an individual, that would almost be too much!"...

#1040 Old 10-22-2013, 11:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Did your waiter offer you a new pizza??? Or should I find the employee who probably thought it was funny to add ham to a vegan pizza...I highly suspect (but cannot prove) that's what happened.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#1041 Old 10-23-2013, 01:25 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

....I wouldn't trust anyone who's stupid enough to put ham on a vegetarian topped, vegan cheesed covered, pizza. That person is an idiot....

Purp likes this.
#1042 Old 10-23-2013, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aristede View Post

I certainly hope you received some sort of compensation for the money lost on the vegan cheese and the waste of your precious time! :-/

Aristede:book: 

Not really! I was thinking about e-mailing the company and asking for my cheese money back but I changed my mind because I didn't want to get the guy in trouble (I doubt he would but still). They didn't make us pay so I got a free OJ and a tap water. And a pizza I couldn't (ok wouldn't) eat. My friend got a free pepsi, potato wedges and a huge meat feast pizza for free. Talk about irony.

My friend was surprised I was so cool about it. There's just too much genuinely bad stuff to worry about in the world, I don't get mad about little things like I used to. Maybe having a polite, relaxed customer who had to leave to go and make her own dinner because of their mistake will stick in their minds and make them more careful? One can hope... 

Quote:

....I wouldn't trust anyone who's stupid enough to put ham on a vegetarian topped, vegan cheesed covered, pizza. That person is an idiot....

Yeah I did think...special prep, special cheese, veggies...really?! I confused them because I ordered pineapple so they automatically went with Hawaiian. Plus the other veggies...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purp View Post

Did your waiter offer you a new pizza??? Or should I find the employee who probably thought it was funny to add ham to a vegan pizza...I highly suspect (but cannot prove) that's what happened.

I'm not sure what happened - at first the waiter said the chef made it wrong but he could barely look at me and then when he came back out he was sorry that he had ruined our evening...they normally get it right there. Who knows. He asked if he could get me something else from the menu but I didn't want a cheeseless pizza that night. Maybe I'm too stubborn. 

I like the drama this has turned into - none of my 'real life' friends would understand! 

#1043 Old 10-23-2013, 01:22 PM
Banned

Quote:

I like the drama this has turned into - none of my 'real life' friends would understand! 

LOL!  That really did make me laugh x

*vegan solidarity*

Purp and Kath like this.
#1044 Old 10-23-2013, 03:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Not really! I was thinking about e-mailing the company and asking for my cheese money back but I changed my mind because I didn't want to get the guy in trouble (I doubt he would but still). They didn't make us pay so I got a free OJ and a tap water. And a pizza I couldn't (ok wouldn't) eat. My friend got a free pepsi, potato wedges and a huge meat feast pizza for free. Talk about irony.

My friend was surprised I was so cool about it. There's just too much genuinely bad stuff to worry about in the world, I don't get mad about little things like I used to. Maybe having a polite, relaxed customer who had to leave to go and make her own dinner because of their mistake will stick in their minds and make them more careful? One can hope... 

Yeah I did think...special prep, special cheese, veggies...really?! I confused them because I ordered pineapple so they automatically went with Hawaiian. Plus the other veggies...

I'm not sure what happened - at first the waiter said the chef made it wrong but he could barely look at me and then when he came back out he was sorry that he had ruined our evening...they normally get it right there. Who knows. He asked if he could get me something else from the menu but I didn't want a cheeseless pizza that night. Maybe I'm too stubborn. 

Oh, well, OBVIOUSLY....if you have pineapple on something you need to put ham on there too. I mean, that's the way pineapple drinks work as well. /shudder.

It's nice he was at least sorry for ruining your night.

Even better, is that you were polite, but still ended up leaving instead of doing something like picking off the meat (urgghhhh). Do you think it's worth going back there to give them a second chance? (if you do, check UNDER the vegan cheese....if there's meat, then thems is emailed fightin' worrds!).

#1045 Old 10-24-2013, 12:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Quote:

@TigerLilly, yes s/he is an idiot, probably one that thinks it's hilarious to put a slice of turkey on the plate of a veg*an at Thankgiving dinner.
@Kath, Sorry your night was ruined.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#1046 Old 10-24-2013, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator

Maybe the cook thought you were allergic to dairy or the server rang in your order wrong (I suspect is the case). The cook has no communication with you and has no idea if you're a vegan or not. Trust me, a majority of errors in the kitchen are cook error in my experience, but this doesn't sound like the case. Many have language barriers that prevent them from understanding the text on the screen, but they should ask to clarify. I'm guessing the server rang in a hawaiian style pizza and modified the pizza, but forgot to say "No ham." It happens, but I don't freak out when it happens to me. Servers are humans, we make mistakes.

Purp likes this.
#1047 Old 10-24-2013, 11:54 AM

Yeah I didn't freak out I just told him I wouldn't eat it. I realised they thought I had an allergy or intolerance. It didn't ruin my night it just ruined my cheesy pizza craving.

Which, really, should at least warrant some jail time.
Purp likes this.
#1048 Old 10-24-2013, 11:57 AM

Oh and I will go back :-)

But yeah, I could NEVER pick meat off something and eat it, it's been so long. Cheese hasn't been that long for me but I still don't think I could do it. Although you stray into the wasting it argument territory there..:
Purp likes this.
#1049 Old 10-25-2013, 01:40 PM

I was hanging out with some folks once, and this one guy started ranting about how "vegetarians should all be killed" because they were "defying the natural order of evolution" or some such nonsense. :confused:

#1050 Old 10-25-2013, 02:24 PM
Veggie Regular

I remember a week or so ago I was eating my dinner, mainly lovely lentils, and I remarked to a housemate that I'd been really hungry and looking forward to eating- she said that she wouldn't be looking forward to it if she "had to eat that"  !

It's amazing how rude people can be. I resisted an aloof, passive aggressive little musing on how strange it is that in our mainstream culture ethical and healthy whole foods are considered unattractive in comparison to bits of flesh hacked off of slaughtered animals.  I resisted because she is a nice enough person really. Probably has never eaten lentils anyway........

Purp likes this.

Tags
Vegan-Lifestyle , Vegetarian-Lifestyle , vegan-food

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page