Stupid Things Omnivores Say, Version 6.0 - Page 32 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 1957Likes

#931 Old 09-25-2013, 10:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post

So I'm in my environmental law/animal advocacy II seminar and I sit at my usual spot next to the guy who I usually sit next to.

Him: Do you want to go out Friday night? I know this great pub that serves great buffalo wings.
Me: No thanks, I just stopped seeing someone and I need a cooling off period.I thought you were a vegan?
H: I eat chicken now and again, you know.
M: oh...
H: is tgat why you won't see me? I swear all you vegan chicks are the same. You don't need to make up lies about just dumping a guy.
Me: uhm
H: forget it. I don't date vegan chicks but I thought you were different, not so freaky.

O.O oh yes, bestill my heart dear Don Juan.

You just proved yourself to be too intelligent for him. You will find the right person, River. Honest. There are good people out there.

River likes this.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#932 Old 09-25-2013, 10:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nooch View Post

^ I also get that 'only in America/Spain/Mars' type comment - suddenly everyone is an expert! THEIR meat is always from animals from just down the road that had the best possible lives, hand fed by the farmer who loved and cared for them and knew them by name before gently putting them to sleep. Its absolute bollocks. The UK has its own share of horrors in slaughterhouses, and the majority of people here trust in the myth that somehow we are superior in our treatment of livestock. Recent events have proved that you can't always know what meat you are eating, let alone where it came from.
This is an interesting sentiment by the British, as there recently was a big scandal about horsemeat and possibly other meat in burgers in the UK. I don't understand why people who eat cows get so bent out of shape about eating horses but the point is like you said: they cannot know where their food is coming from, especially if they don't even know what their food is coming from.
#933 Old 09-25-2013, 10:28 PM
Veggie Regular

I was at a little party and a woman noticed I didn't eat meat so she initiated a conversation about it. Somehow it came around to me saying I am less opposed to shooting and eating wild deer than to raising animals to kill and eat. She defended eating factory farm animals with "Well just I figure no slaughter can be humane..." My nonverbal response: "Exactly."
She knew what I'd said without my saying it and we awkwardly drifted away after that.
Purp likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#934 Old 09-26-2013, 09:00 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purp View Post

You just proved yourself to be too intelligent for him. You will find the right person, River. Honest. There are good people out there.

Speak for yourself. I can't afford to not strew omni girls 'less I want to have no sex life. I don't have any real life veg acquaintance. This closest I know is a pesce(and she just moved to Toronto. darn it! :() and I also know 2 or 3 pollo-pesce and that's it. Everyone else are avid animal eaters. I'm at the point where I don't expect anything from follow human beings but disappointment and I'd rather just focus on doing the right thing myself than try to change people around me.

Aristede likes this.
#935 Old 09-26-2013, 10:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamizushi View Post

Speak for yourself. I can't afford to not strew omni girls 'less I want to have no sex life. I don't have any real life veg acquaintance. This closest I know is a pesce(and she just moved to Toronto. darn it! :() and I also know 2 or 3 pollo-pesce and that's it. Everyone else are avid animal eaters. I'm at the point where I don't expect anything from follow human beings but disappointment and I'd rather just focus on doing the right thing myself than try to change people around me.

I understand how you feel. Ideally, if would be best to find someone who is compatible with one's dietary choices, but that's not always possible. Most of my friends are huge meat eaters and though I'm part of a vegan meetup group, I don't find that I have a lot in common with the ladies there other than we all do or try to eat a plant-based diet. If I restricted myself solely to veggie ladies, I'd certainly have a difficult time finding anyone. Like you, I've been focusing on myself, my heath, my happiness, and while I do explore to see what's out there, I'm not interested in too much drama over it. 

Aristede:book: 

"Now listen, I know you've got to think about your image, 'cause image is important to you, because of course your friends are gonna dictate your actions through the rest of your lives, and I wouldn't want you to step away from them and become an individual, that would almost be too much!"...

#936 Old 09-26-2013, 10:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aristede View Post

I understand how you feel. Ideally, if would be best to find someone who is compatible with one's dietary choices, but that's not always possible. Most of my friends are huge meat eaters and though I'm part of a vegan meetup group, I don't find that I have a lot in common with the ladies there other than we all do or try to eat a plant-based diet. If I restricted myself solely to veggie ladies, I'd certainly have a difficult time finding anyone. Like you, I've been focusing on myself, my heath, my happiness, and while I do explore to see what's out there, I'm not interested in too much drama over it.

River, I'd like you to meet Kamizushi and Aristede. Kamizushi and Aristede, this is River.

Aristede, River and kamizushi like this.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#937 Old 09-26-2013, 11:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

River, I'd like you to meet Kamizushi and Aristede. Kamizushi and Aristede, this is River.

Do Kamizushi and I have to fight over River now? 'Cause I'm going to win! :shifty: 

Aristede :beatnik:

River and Purp like this.

"Now listen, I know you've got to think about your image, 'cause image is important to you, because of course your friends are gonna dictate your actions through the rest of your lives, and I wouldn't want you to step away from them and become an individual, that would almost be too much!"...

#938 Old 09-26-2013, 11:24 AM
Herbivorous Urchin

Quote:

laugh.gif oh dear
Purp likes this.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#939 Old 09-26-2013, 02:25 PM

Got told tonight that I am liberal when it comes to animals but fascist when it comes to humans.
Purp likes this.
#940 Old 09-27-2013, 11:57 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Quote:

Speak for yourself. I can't afford to not strew omni girls 'less I want to have no sex life. I don't have any real life veg acquaintance. This closest I know is a pesce(and she just moved to Toronto. darn it! sad.gif ) and I also know 2 or 3 pollo-pesce and that's it. Everyone else are avid animal eaters. I'm at the point where I don't expect anything from follow human beings but disappointment and I'd rather just focus on doing the right thing myself than try to change people around me.
Your profile says that you live in Montreal. That's a major enough city that I'd be willing to be there's at least one vegetarian and/or vegan group on Meetup.com for it. I'm sure you can meet some people that way. You may not find your soul mate right away, but it'll widen your circle of friends in the right direction.

Speaking of which, I really need to get around to attending one of those types of meetups around here. I joined the Meetup.com groups, but I haven't actually attended any of the meetings in the year since moving here. Who knows? Maybe I'll run into Aristede if I show up!

--Fromper
juggle.gif
Aristede and Purp like this.
#941 Old 09-27-2013, 12:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah Ive had a guy say that to me, I only eat meat once a year, because of religious purpose, and I like which is. He could not come up with any, He  then went on to say other than that he only eats Fresh Tuna, from the can  and that he as a vegetarian. I was like no you are not, if you eat fish. Its living creature also. He said no Vegetarians eat  fish.; Idoit.:confused:

#942 Old 09-27-2013, 03:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromper View Post

Speaking of which, I really need to get around to attending one of those types of meetups around here. I joined the Meetup.com groups, but I haven't actually attended any of the meetings in the year since moving here. Who knows? Maybe I'll run into Aristede if I show up!

--Fromper
juggle.gif

Yeah, you should come to one of the Vegan Chicago meetups! I'm not vegan, but  I come to those now more regularly, especially when it fits my schedule. I'm friends with the meetup directors.

#943 Old 10-01-2013, 05:21 AM
Veggie Regular

"Veg*ns are all in your face about animal cruelty, but don't give a crap about poor exploited workers that grow their fruits and veggies."

I always wonder about people who say they "love" animals, but continue to eat meat. If that's your idea of love, I question what sort of twisted world view you must have.

#944 Old 10-01-2013, 02:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaCaelum View Post

Oh my...the ignorance. It's like saying you shouldn't care how children are treated because you don't have any. Just complete nonsense.
I have come to find that omnis do NOT like when you compare animals to babies and children or people in general. They get really defensive. It makes me chuckle sometimes.
#945 Old 10-01-2013, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy85 View Post

Yesterday I got called weird for drinking soya milk. I swiftly reminded the person that they drink the breast milk from a cow.

I've got to remember that one!  Classic :-)

#946 Old 10-01-2013, 06:36 PM

Lol, my co worker says this with a bag of KFC in front of her face...

"I can't stand meat. I won't eat meat. I'll eat chicken, though."

What's chicken? A bean?!

#947 Old 10-01-2013, 06:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Om Shanti View Post

What's chicken? A bean?!

A lot of people think "meat" is synonymous with "red meat".

#948 Old 10-01-2013, 06:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Om Shanti View Post

What's chicken? A bean?!

I always want to say something like, "When is chicken in season so I can grow it in my garden?" :rolleyes:

Aristede likes this.

#949 Old 10-01-2013, 08:00 PM

Lm
Quote:

I always want to say something like, "When is chicken in season so I can grow it in my garden?" rolleyes.gif

Lmao that's too funny!!!
#950 Old 10-01-2013, 11:29 PM

Bit controversial but.........

I got into a conversation about how I think it's pretty ignorant and anti social when people smoke in public places and have no problem blowing their smoke into other people's faces, I said I think it's fine if they smoke away from people who do not want second hand fumes blown in their direction.

The persons reply?

'Bit rich coming from you considering you're a vegan'

I'm ashamed to say I exploded. How is blowing smoke in someone's unexpecting face the same as me refusing to exploit animals? I have a feeling it's because my choices make others feel bad.
River, Huffy and azerea_02 like this.
#951 Old 10-02-2013, 03:50 AM

Quote:

I got into a conversation about how I think it's pretty ignorant and anti social when people smoke in public places and have no problem blowing their smoke into other people's faces, I said I think it's fine if they smoke away from people who do not want second hand fumes blown in their direction.

The persons reply?

I'm ashamed to say I exploded. How is blowing smoke in someone's unexpecting face the same as me refusing to exploit animals? I have a feeling it's because my choices make others feel bad.

Yeah that makes no sense. It's not like you're telling them off for eating meat in front of you, right?
#952 Old 10-02-2013, 05:03 AM

Correct. I never discuss the morality of eating animal products at the dinner table. Funny thing is by being vegan I am directly trying to reduce the amount of harm I cause to myself, the planet and most importantly other beings. Smoking is the exact opposite.
#953 Old 10-02-2013, 05:27 AM

Quote:

The persons reply?

I'm ashamed to say I exploded. How is blowing smoke in someone's unexpecting face the same as me refusing to exploit animals? I have a feeling it's because my choices make others feel bad

I don't really get the connection myself...that is a truly strange thing to say.   That person had probably been dying to say something snide to you about being vegan, and that's the best they could do.  I wouldn't feel ashamed about exploding. Maybe they might think before they speak next time....maybe :-)

#954 Old 10-02-2013, 09:08 AM
Veggie Regular

I get this quite a lot. They say everyone loves pizza here have some .... no thank you I say smiley.gif They say it only has cheese on it .... (happily) I say no thanks! They say aren't you vegetarian? No. I am a Vegan They say oh, you're one of those .... How could you not eat cheese? and they just walk away usually before I could answer why I'm ummmm one of those Lol smiley.gif
#955 Old 10-02-2013, 02:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavender phase View Post

They say oh, you're one of those .... 

I'm imaging a colony for vegans where "normal" people are banned from visiting, lest the dreaded contagion spreads o'er the land... :-/

Purp and Brain Floss like this.

#956 Old 10-03-2013, 05:55 AM

Not sure where to put this, so I'll just say it here.

I saw an ad for dairy-free cheese in a vegan magazine, and got really excited when I found it in my grocery store. I looked at the ingredients and casein was the first listed. :\
#957 Old 10-03-2013, 08:06 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesleepingyeti View Post

Not sure where to put this, so I'll just say it here.

I saw an ad for dairy-free cheese in a vegan magazine, and got really excited when I found it in my grocery store. I looked at the ingredients and casein was the first listed. :\

Yeah it happened to me too, except I only realized after buying. I think it's targeted at the lactose intolerant. Mine is called Galaxy Nutritional Foods Veggie Slices.

Well, to play the devil's advocate I would argue that a soy based cheese with a small amount of casein in it is not as bad as a cheese made entirely from dairies. The less milk used the better.

#958 Old 10-03-2013, 11:56 AM
Sheep in Wolf's Clothing

"If broccoli came out of a cow's butt would you still eat it?"

HUH?????????????????
#959 Old 10-03-2013, 12:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain Floss View Post

"If broccoli came out of a cow's butt would you still eat it?"

HUH?????????????????

:lol:

"An animal's eyes have the power to speak a great language." --Martin Buber
#960 Old 10-03-2013, 01:55 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

On my facebook, by my sister: I don't get your problem with eating chicken. Theyre all going to die anyway.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray

Tags
Vegan-Lifestyle , Vegetarian-Lifestyle , vegan-food

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page